Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano IG51 Chain PIN

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano IG51 Chain PIN

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-20, 05:51 AM
sethsolanki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano IG51 Chain PIN

Hi All,

I've purchased a new Shimano IG51 narrow chain for my bike and I've read that it requires a special black pin (8 speed bike).The pin I've seen mentioned is long and needs to be snapped once pushed through using the chain tool.

The new chain does have a PIN on one end that look like it's ready to be pushed through. Can I just use pin this to put the chain back together once I've removed the links I don't need from the other end?

I'm new to he forum so it won't let me upload a pic until I post 10 times..

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-20, 06:54 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
No. Use the proper pin or better yet a quick link. Any brand link will work.
Old 06-19-20, 06:57 AM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Vote number 2 for a quick link...
Old 06-19-20, 07:04 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You COULD push the pin through but if it is not the special joining pin I would not use it, vote #3 for a suitable quick link.
Old 06-19-20, 08:37 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Use a quick link. No way to get it wrong.
Old 06-19-20, 08:42 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
A few years ago Shimano sold some of their chains with the special joining pin pre-installed at one end and you did what you propose, you shorten it from the other end and join the ends by seating that pin fully. That is not a defect, it is the factory installed correct joining pin.

A quick link is a convenience and can be used but it's not essential for this particular chain.
Old 06-19-20, 08:46 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Yup, quick link. Reusable, no chain breaking tools required to remove your chain when needed. One example here. Shop around to save a buck or go to your local bike shop. Make sure you get the proper size for an 8 speed chain. https://www.ebay.com/c/1820364597?iid=223653776751
Old 06-19-20, 08:47 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Although the Shimano joining pin works, it is a kludge. Quick link is a better approach.
One example: https://www.amazon.com/Hotop-Bicycle...8-6&th=1&psc=1

Just make sure you get the link for the correct chain speed.
Likes For sch:
Old 06-19-20, 09:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Is the pin you see ready to be pushed through the one that is longer than needed with a tapered end that gets broken off? If so you can use it. Otherwise, did you buy this new? Was it a chain someone returned and sold as new?

I seem to remember my shimano 11 speed chain had the pin wrapped in a little cellophane square that one might miss falling out of the package as the chain is unwrapped. However, that was years ago and I may have built my own memories to suit my purpose <grin>.

If you got it from a shop, it's likely they'll have more spare pins and will give you one if you show them you didn't get yours. Also, if you think it's possible this is a chain that someone returned, then make sure it still has enough links if you are going to use it.

And you can't use just any quick link. It needs to be a quick link appropriate for your speed of chain.

But for 8 speed chains, I'm not sure if they ever used the break off pin. I think they may have come with the pin in one side plate and ready to push in.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-19-20 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-19-20, 10:16 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
1) Is the pin you see ready to be pushed through the one that is longer than needed with a tapered end that gets broken off? If so you can use it. Otherwise, did you buy this new? Was it a chain someone returned and sold as new?.....
2) I seem to remember my shimano 11 speed chain had the pin wrapped in a little cellophane square that one might miss falling out of the package as the chain is unwrapped. However, that was years ago and I may have built my own memories to suit my purpose <grin>......
3) But for 8 speed chains, I'm not sure if they ever used the break off pin. I think they may have come with the pin in one side plate and ready to push in.
1) No, the pre-installed pin did not have a tapered extension that had to be broken off, it was just fully seated to join the chain and this was how they were sold new. It's not a mistake or a defect.

2) Yes, most 8-speed (not the OP's model) and all newer 9-speed and above Shimano chains come with a small plastic envelope with two joining pins that did have the break-off end.

3) As above some came with separate pins in an envelope and others came with the pre-installed pin. I recall it was the higher line (HG-70 and above) that came with separate pins.
Old 06-19-20, 11:42 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Throw that pin away and use a quick link. Life will be easier if you ever want to remove the chain.
Old 06-19-20, 02:55 PM
sethsolanki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks All

So it sounds like the existing pin can be used but a quick link could save me a hassle in the future. To be honest I do very few miles these days and don't stray far from home!

The chain was purchased off eBay as all shops are closed. Maybe a copy..?it's in a Shimano box but looked a little torn, maybe the pins were removed to sell separately. There are many vendors selling an identical item and all pics show no additional special pins. Not sure if Shimano ever sold these as I found it with the standard pin semi fitted and without additional special pins. The IG range is quite dated and my bike was released in 2004! Specialized hard rock pro.

Thanks again. Great response and useful forum!

Stay well😊
Old 06-19-20, 02:58 PM
sethsolanki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks hillrider just saw your complete response.
Thanks for confirming!
Old 06-19-20, 04:59 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
I'd just use the supplied pin and switch to a Quik Link WHEN I have reason to break the chain.
Likes For Bill Kapaun: