Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 11:44 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
My '85 hung on the upper bracket of my wall mounted bike rack. Because of my wife's car parked on that side of the garage, I needed to primarily use my arms to take it down or put it back up. It weighed a lot. I then adjusted my upper body workout with heavier weights to mimic lifting the Cimarron and the Cimarron got lighter. That is real world.
Old 05-24-20, 01:29 PM
Fernleaf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Classtime
My '85 hung on the upper bracket of my wall mounted bike rack. Because of my wife's car parked on that side of the garage, I needed to primarily use my arms to take it down or put it back up. It weighed a lot. I then adjusted my upper body workout with heavier weights to mimic lifting the Cimarron and the Cimarron got lighter. That is real world.
Sounds like a good way to work out! I am having to relinquish my beloved '87 Cimarron to my husband as I had spjne surgery some time back and now have to ride a step through, which I swore I would never do. Never say never!!
Old 05-24-20, 05:18 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
1986 Cimarron parts for sale

Fellow Cimarron fans,

I have reluctantly decided that I must liquidate the parts from my 1986 Cimarron. I recently acquired it and built it into a commuter, exchanging nearly all the parts for others in the process.

I wanted to post here in advance of the eBay auctions I'm planning.

Here's a list:

And here are some photos:

https://oliverhenderson-my.sharepoin...EBv_g?e=PcfEMu

All this stuff is in very good condition for its age. I'm open to fair offers for the lot or any individual pieces. Also open to feedback regarding photos (did I miss anything?).

Thanks,
OIiver H.
Old 06-20-20, 09:26 PM
reluctantsuburb

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dualresponse
Now that it's back together, I've been getting some SERIOUS miles on the Cimarron. Still need the stickers, but this bike it kickin' it. Perfect cold weather bike- Don't know what to wear? Take it all! This bike has has led to some serious grinning!

Sorry to dig up an older post here, but what are those front panniers/bags?
Old 06-21-20, 05:22 AM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by reluctantsuburb
Sorry to dig up an older post here, but what are those front panniers/bags?
ebay- search "leather panniers" 10x13 size
Likes For dualresponse:
Old 06-21-20, 12:20 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by countalmaviva
Fellow Cimarron fans,

I have reluctantly decided that I must liquidate the parts from my 1986 Cimarron. I recently acquired it and built it into a commuter, exchanging nearly all the parts for others in the process.

I wanted to post here in advance of the eBay auctions I'm planning.

Here's a list:

And here are some photos:

https://oliverhenderson-my.sharepoin...EBv_g?e=PcfEMu

All this stuff is in very good condition for its age. I'm open to fair offers for the lot or any individual pieces. Also open to feedback regarding photos (did I miss anything?).

Thanks,
OIiver H.
I think you need to post this in the C&V "For Sale" sub-forum. As soon as a moderator sees the post, it will be deleted. If you only wanted to advertise where your parts are sold - mission accomplished.
Old 06-24-20, 12:40 PM
orloved

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Extremely excited to be picking up this 18" '87 this weekend! Been hunting for one of these things for ages. Ordering a hite-right for it as we speak! I'm also on the hunt for getting a set of non-biopace chainrings, but I guess I should give the stock ones a try before swapping them out.

Gonna be a fun bike to clean up. Apparently it's been in a barn for years! Was gonna also replace the crusty Panaracer Mach SS' on it but I see that they don't make 'em anymore. I was thinking I'd go for a Dart/Smoke ting but they're also out of stock.
Old 06-25-20, 05:22 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Orloved, welcome to the group! Looks like you intended to post a pic or two, but aren't able to as you haven't made ten posts yet. So feel free to add other comments here and on other threads to get that count up. I look forward to seeing your Cimarron!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 06-25-20, 06:19 AM
orloved

This is true! I'll have the bike in my hands next week, but maybe I'll hit ten posts by then!

I have been thinking a lot about parts for this thing and here are some of those thoughts:

It turns out that the Panaracer Mach SS tire mold is being used again! It's "The Homage" sold under the Simworks brand. Normally I like a gumwall tire, but I was hoping for an all-black look in this case, and the 26" Homage only comes in gumwall.

A Maxxis DTH seems comfy and fun, but also would get completely gummed up if it gets muddy, I would think.

Does anyone here have any reccs for an affordable tire that's comfy on the road but wouldn't be out of place on a trail? I currently run Panaracer Gravel King SKs on my '89 Voyageur (700x35c swapped!), but was hoping for something cheaper.

I also have many other thoughts about what components to keep and what to sell off and replace. The original Nitto bars look cool, but also seem very heavy. The front triple looks like it has great gearing but is Biopace. The cantilevers seem fine, but would be nicer with v-brakes. The six-speed freehub looks ok, but I wonder if it could sell for decent money and be easily replaced with, say, a SRAM 11-32 8 speed for less.
Old 06-25-20, 06:35 AM
orloved

I should also ask, I don't know if anyone--maybe bconneraz ?--has images of the specs from the 1987 Schwinn catalog. I am trying to piece things together from the '89 Schwinn ATB specs page and an '87 Shimano catalog to see if the rear derailleur could handle an 11-32 eight speed at the back.
Old 06-25-20, 07:18 AM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by orloved
I should also ask, I don't know if anyone--maybe bconneraz ?--has images of the specs from the 1987 Schwinn catalog. I am trying to piece things together from the '89 Schwinn ATB specs page and an '87 Shimano catalog to see if the rear derailleur could handle an 11-32 eight speed at the back.
FWIW, the specs listed in this link look accurate. I have a stock 1987 myself if you need pictures of components. https://thesportinggeeks.com/product...fillet-brazed/
Old 06-25-20, 07:45 AM
orloved

Interesting! The '89s were 13-30, so I was a little worried. Hm--is it a 25.4 clamp diameter with that stem, or 22.2? For some reason the Nitto MT-5 isn't showing up on velobase.
Old 06-25-20, 12:28 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Interesting! The '89s were 13-30, so I was a little worried. Hm--is it a 25.4 clamp diameter with that stem, or 22.2? For some reason the Nitto MT-5 isn't showing up on velobase.
I would expect 22.2 for the handles and shifters. My '86 has a Suntour stem, and it's 22.2. I measured the stem clamp at about 26.0 diameter, but that was without the bar in it. It clamps my Nitto Albatross bar, whose bulge I measured at 25.2mm, just fine.

My '86 takes a 26.6mm seatpost, which are as rare as snake's suspenders.

- Oliver H.
Old 06-25-20, 12:28 PM
countalmaviva 

Extremely excited to be picking up this 18" '87 this weekend! Been hunting for one of these things for ages. Ordering a hite-right for it as we speak! I'm also on the hunt for getting a set of non-biopace chainrings, but I guess I should give the stock ones a try before swapping them out.

Gonna be a fun bike to clean up. Apparently it's been in a barn for years! Was gonna also replace the crusty Panaracer Mach SS' on it but I see that they don't make 'em anymore. I was thinking I'd go for a Dart/Smoke ting but they're also out of stock.
Can't wait to see pictures! What is a "hite-rite"?
Old 06-25-20, 12:37 PM
orloved

I don't think I can add links or pics yet (sorry to be adding so many lines to this thread) but it's kind of like a vintage dropper post add-on. It works a bit like an office chair does springing up and dropping down, and it's basically a clamp with a thick spring. I'll probably have a lot of seatpost showing given that this is an 18" and my road bike is a 23."

It should get the seat out of way if I actually do get this thing rooting and tooting here around Prospect Park and whatever other singletrack I can find in the city, or romping about on steep trails in Jersey and elsewhere.
Old 06-25-20, 01:01 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by countalmaviva
Can't wait to see pictures! What is a "hite-rite"?
Vintage Hite-Rite on my '87

Likes For casanewt:
Old 07-12-20, 07:34 AM
orloved

The bike has arrived! Cleaned it up, degreased and re-greased the chain, and took it for a spin much sooner than I expected! But the bike may be back off the road shortly, as riding it around the front of the bike felt kind of... drunk! The headset was tightened down but still felt loose. I looked again and I'm not sure if it's not aligned straight on the races, or if the races or shot, or what.

I want to take it apart, re-grease it, and re-install it but I'm scared of cross-threading anything on the fork! I'll see how it goes.
Old 07-12-20, 09:45 AM
orloved

Not sure I can post pics yet but I did take the headset apart and, yeah, the bearings and the bearing seats are toasted! Surprisingly it was roller bearing on the bottom AND the top, when I was expecting a caged bearing at the top. I think the wise thing to do is replace it with a completely new headset from tange/IRD, though I was not rushing to spend $100 on this bike quite so quickly! It's possible I can find new roller bearings and races, but idk.
Old 07-12-20, 02:10 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
orloved , you're just three posts away from pics!

So, how's your day going?
Old 07-13-20, 07:19 AM
orloved

hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa could be worse! I have found new bearings for sale at a reasonable price but still not the cups!
Old 07-14-20, 06:56 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
We need an update, Orloved! As well as those sweet, sweet pics you teased us about a few weeks ago!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 07-15-20, 06:12 AM
orloved

I'm almost to ten posts! My newest update is I did get a chance to measure the crown race and it's 27.0mm, or the no-longer-used JIS standard. This really educes the options I have for headsets down to about, well, one headset from Velo Orange. Or I could take the the head and frame to a shop and get them milled/reamed to modern ISO standard. I could probably file the crown race from 27.0 JIS to 26.4 ISO, but I'm not sure if I can just cram a lower 30.2 ISO race into the headtube with its 30.0mm JIS internal diameter. And maybe I could file that down to fit, and maybe I could get a shop to ream it, but I really have little experience with this.
Old 07-15-20, 06:46 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
@orloved,

Your gallery is viewable at:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/519772
Likes For daverup:
Old 07-15-20, 09:56 AM
orloved

oh **** that's me! I guess I need to post this tenth post to get to put up pics, but I will say that owning this bike has been such a pleasure thus far. Cleaning it up was such a joy. The handlebars are so comfy, the BioPace isn't all that weird, the indexing works on the six-speed rear (which I wish didn't top out at 14t), the grips are wonderful, and installing a Hite-Rite was easy! The tires are maybe past their prime but I look forward to getting some new ones for it.

Today I'm gonna go to a bike shop and see if they would ream out my headtube to fit a modern headset, or what that might cost!
Old 07-15-20, 10:36 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts

Today I'm gonna go to a bike shop and see if they would ream out my headtube to fit a modern headset, or what that might cost!
If you get no good answers at the bike shop, be sure to post back here what they recommended. There are plenty of experts around here who could help you choose options. If you like the rest of the bike, it's probably worth fixing up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.