Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help! I need a new bike and can't decide between two.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 06:01 PM
JFreet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I am 6'3" and have the toughest time finding an upgrade from my first road bike the 2017 giant contend 3 with Claris components.

I have recently found two options and cannot decide between the two. I run on a budget but I ride almost every day and love Strava segment hunting. I ride entirely on the road and bike paths(more rare but on occasion not really paved) and the majority of my rides are between 30 and 65 miles but I do go further on occasion.

The two options I have found are both used bmcs.

The first being a 1000$ 2015 BMC gf02 Shimano 105 disc with aluminum frame that can hold up to 35c tires I believe. I'd likely run 28s though.

The other is a 1300$ 2013 BMC team machine special edition. It's currently apart. Has no real damage and has never been crashed. The owner has said 850 for the frame and fork and $1,300 for the “almost complete” bike. That includes: Frame, bars, stem, seat post, headset and bottom bracket, SRAM Red shifters, derailleurs, cables, a"I’ll throw in some Xero aluminum wheels" he said.

I'm pretty sure I can source the rest of the parts for under a couple hundred dollars.

So my question is what should I do??? I have a mechanical background and am Mercedes tech(recently started restoring old bikes) so I don't have a problem building a bike. I can be hard on my things but I want a bike I will love!

Someone help!

​​​​​​TLDR: I'm a newb whose indecisive and can't choose between bikes

Last edited by JFreet; 07-17-20 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-17-20, 06:07 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I'm assuming when you say you have found 2 options that both options are of a size to accommodate a person of your tall stature. Nothing worse than a bike that doesn't fit. Good luck,
Old 07-17-20, 06:09 PM
JFreet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I'm assuming when you say you have found 2 options that both options are of a size to accommodate a person of your tall stature. Nothing worse than a bike that doesn't fit. Good luck,
Hey bigbus,
Thanks for response. Yes. The team machine is 60cm and the gf02 is 61cm
Old 07-17-20, 06:18 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
If you know that differences in fit won't be an issue, I'd definitely go with 2015 gf02. I really don't know specifics between the two frames - but it's two years newer, the bike is put together rather than being 'theoretically built'. Can't go wrong with 105 and disc brakes. I think you could run into some very unpleasant surprises trying to piece together option #2 .
Old 07-17-20, 06:20 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
J, I can't tell you what works for you, but after a quick look at both, they're a couple of fine looking bikes. Either make my old Giant look antiquated and heavy, but then I prefer mountain biking anyway. Only recently got the roadie bug and the Giant and that's because there aren't any trails worth riding within 30 miles of here. The DW doesn't understand why I'm looking for a new MTB when lately I've been spending all my ride time on the Giant. What can I say?