Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Places in the World Where you Felt the Most Respected by Drivers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Places in the World Where you Felt the Most Respected by Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 01:32 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
Maybe it’s a regional thing. I live in Portage county and folks here are pretty OK around bikes.
Ya I'm out in Washington county area, near Germantown/Jackson, a bit north of Milwaukee. I use a Garmin radar and head unit and nearly every time I'm climbing a hill the guy driving behind me would rather close pass and nearly take out oncoming traffic than just wait a whole 10 seconds. I've had a crazy amount of close calls and have actually been ran into before while descending in a bike lane.
Old 07-20-20, 01:34 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Edit: top five most annoying US driver types for cyclists:
5. A group of teenaged boys in a 1996 Toyota Tercel.
4. Beat up, rusted out landscaping pickup with a trailer full of blowers, rakes and lawnmowers with seven guys all sitting on the front bench.
3. Yoga-pants wearing mom in oversized aviator sunglasses in an SUV holding an iPhone up to talk to it on speakerphone because they can't figure out the Bluetooth in their car.
2. Motorcyclists, especially superbike guys in leathers. Harley guys are generally OK.
1. (by a country mile): pristine pickups with Z51/TRD/whatever offroad packages driven by fat guys with goatees on suburban streets. Extra points for Browning, Line-X, Salt Life or blue-line American Flag stickers.
This is an oddly specific list of grievances I couldn't agree with more.
Likes For firebird854:
Old 07-20-20, 02:02 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
This is an oddly specific list of grievances I couldn't agree with more.

I managed to arrive at the light to catch up your #5 group.

they apologized to me after saying

« oh sorry we yelled at you, we see now that you are training hard, sorry man. »

but the group #1 is the one with shotguns and can’t be messed with
Old 07-20-20, 02:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Italy (Tuscany and Umbria)
Old 07-20-20, 03:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
its incredible how how drivers are respectful in Spain

I remained speechless many times
At the end of my seven-week tour of Andalucia I was tooling around a suburb of Sevilla. A driver made a stupid mistake and came relatively close to hitting me. He was so apologetic I thought he was going to get out of his car, drop to his knees and beg for forgiveness.
Old 07-20-20, 03:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Also, in the US people give "rednecks" a hard time.........I've had more trouble in town with the "fake junior executive BMW driver" that's on their way to church on Sundays.
I’ve ridden across Pennsyltucky several times. We have a 4’ passing law in the state. It’s better observed in the sticks than a lot of other places. I’ve had plenty of pickups cross way over the double yellow (which is legal when it can be done safely) to give me plenty of room.

I’ve also had them stop to check if I am ok while taking a break on the side of the road.
Old 07-21-20, 09:04 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
The SF Bay Area in general is quite good, with some rather localized exceptions. About a third to half the time you run into an asshat they have an out of state plate and tend to congregate around tourist spots (Muir Woods, Half Moon Bay, etc). But it's really a tiny fraction of all drivers. Around here the local asshats seem to have a slight preference for BMWs, and tend to be in their 20s.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 07-22-20, 03:38 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Pigeon Forge Tennessee. Drivers were over the top polite as if they’d been threatened with imprisonment.

Oddly, 10 miles up the road in Gatlnburg I had my worst run in with a psycho driver that, apparently, was mad because he couldn’t catch/pass? me as I was ascending down a mountain faster than he could in his E-class Benz.

Cops were called. He was a known local legendary ass.