Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NBD-2019 Cervelo R3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

NBD-2019 Cervelo R3

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-20, 05:25 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Why don't you post the model number of the BB that you're talking about?
Old 07-25-20, 05:28 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Is this the BB you have?
https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/...xoCQvgQAvD_BwE
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 07-25-20, 05:33 PM
kip.duff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I have BBright/Sram DUB, so the BBInfinite model is:

​​​​​​BBRT-DUB-RD-BLK-ASMCT

I believe all BBInfnite BBs are one-piece. Interesting designs- make sense.

Last edited by kip.duff; 07-25-20 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-25-20, 05:37 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by kip.duff
Just got mine- same color as yours- but disc set up.

The pictures don't do these justice. This is one of the most finely made things I've ever seen or owned. If it rides as good as it looks....

I was gonna install a one-piece BB from BBInfinite, but center bore area of BB bore on bike is a little smaller ID that outer shoulder ID areas,
so I don't see how it will work.
It will work...I have a BBinfinite on my R5 and Aspero.

All BB's have a slight chamfer to them in order to aid install/alignment
Old 07-25-20, 05:46 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
It will work...I have a BBinfinite on my R5 and Aspero.

All BB's have a slight chamfer to them in order to aid install/alignment
Well, good news! But I'm scared, so I'll wait for specific instructions and confirmation from BBInfinite. This frame's getting royal treatment- such a beaut... Hopefully I'm just being dumb and missing something. After a few more posts, I will be able to attach a photo of the little shoulder I'm referring to.
Old 07-25-20, 07:30 PM
melikebikey35

Well, good news! But I'm scared, so I'll wait for specific instructions and confirmation from BBInfinite. This frame's getting royal treatment- such a beaut... Hopefully I'm just being dumb and missing something. After a few more posts, I will be able to attach a photo of the little shoulder I'm referring to.
It is a great frame...I had one before my R5. Installation is very simply, and unless I'm not understanding you correctly, you have nothing to worry about regarding your BB shell.
But, yah, post a photo when you can.

Have you installed a BB before?
Old 07-25-20, 08:13 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
My R3 has a BBRight BBInfinite in it. I had my LBS install it though so I can't give any pointers on installation. Congrats, on the new bike, you'll love it.
Old 07-25-20, 10:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The pictures don't do these justice. This is one of the most finely made things I've ever seen or owned. If it rides as good as it looks....
R3s ride better than they look.
Old 07-26-20, 10:58 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
OK- maybe I can post now and attach pictures.

Well, not allowed to post pictures apparently till I've done 10 posts. Maybe this is #10.

The BB bore in my bike is slightly narrower in the middle areas- and widens to slightly larger ID at either side, "D". I'm worried that there will be too much resistance while trying to push the BBInfinite BB right shoulder thru this narrow section. The guy at BBI doesn't seem worried, but I sent him the drawing just to try to see if we're on the same page. I imagined that the BBI install would work for a BB bore like "A". Mine is like "B". Do you know or remember if your BB bore is like mine? (when I post the pics, this will make more sense).

I got a few things done- seat and forks installed. Any protocol for setting preload on steer head bearings?

SRAM eTap Red ASX 12-speed HYD 1X kit and Red DUB crankset with 46 tooth will be here Tuesday.
Old 07-26-20, 11:00 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
BTW, I've never seen a forum restrict posting pics. Also, I was not allowed to post replies later yesterday- only 5 or 10 posts allowed per day?
Old 07-26-20, 11:03 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
OK- maybe I can post now and attach pictures.

Well, not allowed to post pictures apparently till I've done 10 posts. Maybe this is #10.

The BB bore in my bike is slightly narrower in the middle areas- and widens to slightly larger ID at either side, "D". I'm worried that there will be too much resistance while trying to push the BBInfinite BB right shoulder thru this narrow section. The guy at BBI doesn't seem worried, but I sent him the drawing just to try to see if we're on the same page. I imagined that the BBI install would work for a BB bore like "A". Mine is like "B". Do you know or remember if your BB bore is like mine? (when I post the pics, this will make more sense).

I got a few things done- seat and forks installed. Any protocol for setting preload on steer head bearings?

SRAM eTap Red ASX 12-speed HYD 1X kit and Red DUB crankset with 46 tooth will be here Tuesday.

Old 07-27-20, 03:33 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I found a bike mechanic who had done a one-piece BB install on a Cervelo bike. The mechanic knew exactly what I was talking about. He had done an install on a Cervelo with custom paint and was quite worried. He could see the issue- when the right shoulder of the BB got to the slightly narrower part of the bore, he didn't think it was safe to proceed- there was way too much resistance. After consulting with other mechanics, they decided to use silicone paste- no Loctite. It still took a whole bunch of force to get thru the center section.

You guys who have had BBInfinite BBs (or other one-piece BBs) installed at your LBS, if you're OK with it, I'd like get the name of the bike store so I could talk to a couple other mechanics who have done this install. Info gathered is relevant to this thread for anyone else wanting to do this. Based on what I see, this is NOT a normal install for a one-piece BB. The area between the shoulders in the bore needs to be wider ID- not narrower. I suppose I could get a Flex-Hone, tape off the shoulder areas, and hone out the center area so it's a little wider than the shoulders. The correspondence I had with BBInfinite did not directly address my question- just said "there's been thousands of installs with no problem".
Old 07-27-20, 03:40 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I found a bike mechanic who had done a one-piece BB install on a Cervelo bike. The mechanic knew exactly what I was talking about. He had done an install on a Cervelo with custom paint and was quite worried. He could see the issue- when the right shoulder of the BB got to the slightly narrower part of the bore, he didn't think it was safe to proceed- there was way too much resistance. After consulting with other mechanics, they decided to use silicone paste- no Loctite. It still took a whole bunch of force to get thru the center section.

You guys who have had BBInfinite BBs (or other one-piece BBs) installed at your LBS, if you're OK with it, I'd like get the name of the bike store so I could talk to a couple other mechanics who have done this install. Info gathered is relevant to this thread for anyone else wanting to do this. Based on what I see, this is NOT a normal install for a one-piece BB. The area between the shoulders in the bore needs to be wider ID- not narrower. I suppose I could get a Flex-Hone, tape off the shoulder areas, and hone out the center area so it's a little wider than the shoulders. The correspondence I had with BBInfinite did not directly address my question- just said "there's been thousands of installs with no problem".
I'd love to help, but the LBS who did my install is out of business now and I haven't kept up with the mechanic who did the job for me.
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 07-27-20, 03:56 PM
melikebikey35

Ok, so I was thinking of something else (the edges being tapered, which is normal).

Your BB looks like it came out undersized, and was then machined down to get it to the correct spec...it shows that they actually have QC in place, and that is was caught before going out. But it also shows that they took the lazy way out (i.e, not doing the whole shell). On my 3 Cerveols, the carbon color/layup was uniform all the way through, and I had zero issues installing a BBinfinite on 2 of them (the other got a Wheels Mfg. two piece).

Personally, I'd just return the BBinfinite and go with a two piece, thread-together BB, like a Wheels Mfg. Since the actual surface that the BB interfaces with is in spec, I'm pretty sure no brand would be willing to warranty a frame like that.
Or you can try to install the BBinfinite and stop if you feel an unnecessary amount of pushback.
Old 07-27-20, 04:15 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Ok, so I was thinking of something else (the edges being tapered, which is normal).

Your BB looks like it came out undersized, and was then machined down to get it to the correct spec...it shows that they actually have QC in place, and that is was caught before going out. But it also shows that they took the lazy way out (i.e, not doing the whole shell). On my 3 Cerveols, the carbon color/layup was uniform all the way through, and I had zero issues installing a BBinfinite on 2 of them (the other got a Wheels Mfg. two piece).

Personally, I'd just return the BBinfinite and go with a two piece, thread-together BB, like a Wheels Mfg. Since the actual surface that the BB interfaces with is in spec, I'm pretty sure no brand would be willing to warranty a frame like that.
Or you can try to install the BBinfinite and stop if you feel an unnecessary amount of pushback.
I was attracted to the one-piece concept for rigidity. Several posters said they thought they could feel a difference. In case of these Cervelos, the BB bore is one solid piece/tube itself- unlike other designs which are void between the shoulders. There is already considerable rigidity and unity there before BB install.

I've also heard significant arguments that there is no advantage to ceramic (Hambini and others). Ceramics primarily for over 20k RPM. Guys promoting by spinning the free crank somewhat misleading. Resistance is in seal, ball cage, and lube.

Do you have any feedback on BBI vs Wheels Mfg two-piece.? Ceramic vs steel?

Your answer has really moved me forward in this puzzle. My R3 appears to have somewhat of a blem- or non-conformity. Thanks.......
Old 07-27-20, 06:07 PM
melikebikey35

I was attracted to the one-piece concept for rigidity. Several posters said they thought they could feel a difference. In case of these Cervelos, the BB bore is one solid piece/tube itself- unlike other designs which are void between the shoulders. There is already considerable rigidity and unity there before BB install.

I've also heard significant arguments that there is no advantage to ceramic (Hambini and others). Ceramics primarily for over 20k RPM. Guys promoting by spinning the free crank somewhat misleading. Resistance is in seal, ball cage, and lube.

Do you have any feedback on BBI vs Wheels Mfg two-piece.? Ceramic vs steel?

Your answer has really moved me forward in this puzzle. My R3 appears to have somewhat of a blem- or non-conformity. Thanks.......
Cervelo BB shells are SOLID, you don't need to worry about extra stiffness. The main benefit to a one-piece is that they help insure proper alignment, but a threaded two-piece will do (nealy) the same.

Then, I'd skip ceramic bearings...as you've heard from others, they simply are not worth it. If you absolutely need to squeeze every last watt out of your set-up, and can afford to replace them often, then yah, ceramic probably has its benefits. But for 99.9% of riders, it's a massive waste of money.

Wheels Mfg makes nice BB's, especially for Shimano cranks. I've had them on 3 different bikes and were problem free.
However, I do see that you are using a AXS DUB crank, and I will admit that the BBI performs better with that setup. The Wheels Mfg is far from bad, but I found that the BBI was easier to set up, and I like the fact that it uses a polymer bushing between the axle and bearing (reduces wear). But I'm guessing that someone that's more familiar with setting up Sram cranks could get it to work flawlessly with the Wheels Mfg.
Old 07-27-20, 08:54 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
melikebikey35:

Thanks for excellent info.

I'm in better dialogue with BBI now. I think he arrived at conclusion that "thousands have been installed with no problem" does not really address the issue well. Also, I emailed Cervelo with the same picture asking if this was normal.
Old 07-27-20, 09:28 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Ok the pic totally spelled it out for me. This isn’t an excuse for Cervelo doing what they did, but I assume that BBRight is typically not a one piece BB so maybe they just machine it as such of a BB hole on the frame comes out undersize.

that does look troublesome for a one piece BB install.
Old 07-27-20, 09:57 PM
icanbike2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Search for Hambini on youtube. The dude is super knowledgeable regarding BBs... He sells BBs. I also think there is a video about Cervelo and their BBright.
Old 07-27-20, 10:06 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Hambini is an overly critical tool who makes decent BBs.
Old 07-28-20, 03:19 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
Ok the pic totally spelled it out for me. This isn’t an excuse for Cervelo doing what they did, but I assume that BBRight is typically not a one piece BB so maybe they just machine it as such of a BB hole on the frame comes out undersize.

that does look troublesome for a one piece BB install.
That's exactly what it looks like to me- my R3 shell is designed for two-piece BB. I really wonder how the one-piece BBs were installed that some of you have. As I mentioned, I did talk to one bike mechanic who had installed one, and it sounded similar to mine. He was terrified it might get hurt and took extra time to figure out a way to make it work.

Are others like mine? I don't know- but I believe current production is like mine. I emailed this question to Cervelo with the picture attached- I'm curious to find out. Gary at BBInfinite says Cervelos used to have open, void space in the frame BB area between bearing shoulders.

Last edited by kip.duff; 07-28-20 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 03:28 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
The Wheels Mfg is far from bad, but I found that the BBI was easier to set up, and I like the fact that it uses a polymer bushing between the axle and bearing (reduces wear).
Though I'm no bike expert, the polymer bushings are bugging me. After seeing so much concern and energy spent trying to achieve rigidity, I would think putting relatively soft polymer sleeves between inner race and crankshaft would introduce flex and waist the effort spent trying to get rigidity. Is wheels Mfg. steel to steel at this location?

Last edited by kip.duff; 07-28-20 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 05:23 PM
melikebikey35

Though I'm no bike expert, the polymer bushings are bugging me. After seeing so much concern and energy spent trying to achieve rigidity, I would think putting relatively soft polymer sleeves between inner race and crankshaft would introduce flex and waist the effort spent trying to get rigidity. Is wheels Mfg. steel to steel at this location?
Polymers can be extremely rigid (carbon fiber is a polymer, afterall). Besides, the bushing on a dub BB is only (nominal) 1mm thick, so the potential for energy loss through compression is negligible. You are more likely to experience far greater losses (but still negligible in the grand scheme of things) from the wear to the spindle that is more likely to happen without them. Also, most BBs are made using a polymer housing, and work just fine.

DUB and 30mm spindles are aluminum, so in those applications it's steel (bearing) on aluminium (spindle), so the spindle will be the component that absorbs the wear. In 24mm(Shimano) and GXP applications, the spindles are made from steel, so the bushings are not needed.
Old 07-30-20, 06:12 PM
kip.duff

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Polymers can be extremely rigid (carbon fiber is a polymer, afterall). Besides, the bushing on a dub BB is only (nominal) 1mm thick, so the potential for energy loss through compression is negligible. You are more likely to experience far greater losses (but still negligible in the grand scheme of things) from the wear to the spindle that is more likely to happen without them. Also, most BBs are made using a polymer housing, and work just fine.

DUB and 30mm spindles are aluminum, so in those applications it's steel (bearing) on aluminium (spindle), so the spindle will be the component that absorbs the wear. In 24mm(Shimano) and GXP applications, the spindles are made from steel, so the bushings are not needed.
Great info- didn't realize alloy vs steel spindle situation. Did see a lot of discussion about scuffed spindles- now I see why.

I will be putting in a Wheels Mfg. or the BBInfinite I already have here. Haven't made my mind yet. Not keen on doing the machining work on the R3 shell to install a one-piece.

Thanks so much for this info. I will post results.
Old 07-31-20, 06:38 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
So my "one piece" Wheels Mgf unit actually was 2 pieces that are inserted from either end and they screw together once installed into a single piece. Could you BBInfinite unit be the same?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.