Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why are higher-end freewheels (cassettes) so much louder when coasting?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why are higher-end freewheels (cassettes) so much louder when coasting?

Old 07-31-20, 12:00 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,903 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
not necessarily - an old friend who used to race told me that he would listen for gear changes when the terrain or pace didn’t warrant one, since it usually signaled that the guy behind was either tiring (maybe time to attack) or preparing to make a move (time to watch for an attack). Any time you can avoid giving your opponents free information is good
I was no sprinter at all but I pulled a surprise at the State Champs by shifting into the extreme cross-over with a couple of miles to go just so I could do a very quiet shift into the 52-15 a mile from the line. Pulled off the shift and went. I was passing the leader before anyone noticed,

This modern stuff. Tell the whole world! I don't get it.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 07-31-20 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-31-20, 07:12 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
On one of my first brevets, which would have been ten years ago, a guy in the group had a loud hub combined with a tendency to pedal/coast, pedal/coast.
A guy I know does that, and it drives me insane.
Old 07-31-20, 08:21 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
On one of my first brevets, which would have been ten years ago, a guy in the group had a loud hub combined with a tendency to pedal/coast, pedal/coast. Either of those alone is no biggie, but combined... I didn't know what the story was, didn't care, just had no interest in hearing that for the next 20 hours..
There's a special place in hell for people like that...
Old 07-31-20, 08:43 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
On one of my first brevets, which would have been ten years ago, a guy in the group had a loud hub combined with a tendency to pedal/coast, pedal/coast. Either of those alone is no biggie, but combined... I didn't know what the story was, didn't care, just had no interest in hearing that for the next 20 hours.

That would be the bicycling equivalent of the neighbor who mows his grass by shutting off the lawnmower and then re-starting it every 45 seconds. By the time he eventually finishes, I'm exhausted by the tedious noise!
Old 07-31-20, 09:52 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
I guess it boils down to what's your definition of "high end". I'm surprised how quiet the Campy rear hub laced to the Hyperons compared to the 8 sp hubs that were laced to Shimals 15 years or so, ago.
Old 07-31-20, 10:49 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Lots of hubs used to be quiet, especially Shimano. That's a thing of the past though. I still have a set of Open Pros laced to Dura-Ace 7800 era hubs with a 10 sp freehub, and I'd have to put my ear to it to hear a thing. A bit of a clunker by today's standards though.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 08-01-20, 11:10 AM
BluFalconActual

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I just did a super non-scientific test using a dB meter on my phone. Spun up the pedals and let it spin and saw the max dB on the app. This was inside my garage so louder than outside.

Chris King R45CLD -$$$
78 dB (around the same volume as an alarm clock) It only got this loud for a very brief moment while it was spinning. Kind of like a reverberating frequency.

Hope Pro4 disc- $$
88 dB (about the same as a power tool)

Stock Giant el cheapo hubs- $:
76 dB

I don’t think it’s a price thing, it’s an engineering/design thing.
Old 08-03-20, 12:34 PM
buegelfrei

Bikes: Daylight ARC c1 XXL 20", Surly Big Dummy, c.1983 Merckx Professional

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Onyx hubs plus an a bell by Osaka for the win.

Bikes should be quiet. No electric car can sneak up on you with this combo.

Here’s a decent video demonstrating the silence, low rolling resistance and instant engagement of Onyx’s sprag clutch design:
Old 08-03-20, 01:01 PM
comfort rider

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Just get some Phil Wood tenacious oil in there if you want quiet coasting.
Old 08-03-20, 01:13 PM
snookanglr
padawan

Bikes: Felt Breed 30, Bianchi Intenso, Trek Madone, Cannondale Synapse, Giant Anthem

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Some high end hubs like White Industries and Chris King are loud and some aren't.It's personal preference. I like the loud because it lets people know I'm behind them and I just like the sound of it.
Likes For snookanglr:
Old 08-03-20, 01:38 PM
mbusky

Bikes: REI's COOP AVD1.1 touring bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Job well done sir!
Old 08-03-20, 02:31 PM
strangdang

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by comfort rider
Just get some Phil Wood tenacious oil in there if you want quiet coasting.
This is the more modern equivalent of what we used to do to our old Regina Oro freewheels in the 70's, we used Sturmey Archer 3 spd. oil and just dripped it in around the edges. Quieted right up.
Old 08-03-20, 03:28 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I am not seeing it.

Back in the FW days, my Suntour Winners were pretty quiet. Much more so than the Maeda 888 versions or the golden colored ones. My Malliard FW were pretty quiet and also had dust seals, so maybe that helped.

All of my Shimano cassette hubs are quiet. My Tiagra is relative quiet, and the 105 and Ultegra are each incrementally quieter.
Old 08-03-20, 04:19 PM
sacr

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Really, people want a noisy freewheel to warn pedestrians? Why not just stick a playing card on the frame to ping against the spokes full time!

freewheel on my ride, helicomatic, when I flushed it through with kerosene for a clean could hear it, but after soaking in 5w/30 motor oil it’s absolutely silent from the riding position.

for the wanna be racers aren’t you concerned that the noise doesn’t come for free and you have a power leak in your freewheel?. How much, I’m guessing not much, what are the lab test numbers on drag for different free wheels in coast mode?
Old 08-03-20, 04:56 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by sacr
Really, people want a noisy freewheel to warn pedestrians? Why not just stick a playing card on the frame to ping against the spokes full time!
Why, because a noisy freehub body, is silent when pedaling. It's only noisy when you want it to be.

for the wanna be racers aren’t you concerned that the noise doesn’t come for free and you have a power leak in your freewheel?. How much, I’m guessing not much, what are the lab test numbers on drag for different free wheels in coast mode?
The difference in freehub drag is noticeable, but only at lower speeds(coasting before a stoplight or stop sign). When descending at 40mph+ the difference in drag is unnoticeable.
Old 08-03-20, 05:00 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
The difference in freehub drag is noticeable, but only at lower speeds(coasting before a stoplight or stop sign). When descending at 40mph+ the difference in drag is unnoticeable.
Noticeable in what way? I don't notice any drag when I'm coasting, and my hubs are kinda loud (White Industries). I tried to google any data on this, but I couldn't find any.
Old 08-03-20, 05:08 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Noticeable in what way? I don't notice any drag when I'm coasting, and my hubs are kinda loud (White Industries). I tried to google any data on this, but I couldn't find any.
I notice a slight difference in coast down when I change my DT Swiss hub from an 18t ring gear, to a 54t ring gear. It's not huge, and it's really only noticeable at very low speeds. On a work stand, the difference in coast down is noticeable.

On a White Industries hub you can't change the POE total, so you can't actually test it
Old 08-03-20, 05:12 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by BluFalconActual
I just did a super non-scientific test using a dB meter on my phone. Spun up the pedals and let it spin and saw the max dB on the app. This was inside my garage so louder than outside.

Chris King R45CLD -$$$
78 dB (around the same volume as an alarm clock) It only got this loud for a very brief moment while it was spinning. Kind of like a reverberating frequency.

Hope Pro4 disc- $$
88 dB (about the same as a power tool)

Stock Giant el cheapo hubs- $:
76 dB

I don’t think it’s a price thing, it’s an engineering/design thing.
The R45 CK hubs are much quieter than the old CK classics. CK will tell you they designed it to be quieter, and I can tell you that they succeeded.
Old 08-03-20, 05:34 PM
sacr

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Why, because a noisy freehub body, is silent when pedaling. It's only noisy when you want it to be.

??? let me reword that for you........its only noisy when one stops pedalling, whether one desires the noise or not.
Old 08-03-20, 05:45 PM
noodle soup

??? let me reword that for you........its only noisy when one stops pedalling, whether one desires the noise or not.
I don't know about you, but I don't spend much time coasting.

If I'm going less than 40mph(which is most of the time), I'm not coasting. YMMV
Old 08-04-20, 02:10 AM
kar

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
I didn't ask for it but my freehub also makes a beautiful noise. Its not angry Bee, its more like Crickets or Japanese Cicadas chorusing (but not so high pitched shrill) and I love it. I also like the freehub sound from fellow cyclists.

On the road, there are lot more worrisome and noisy adversaries like trucks, cars, dangerous suvs, tractors constantly buzzing past (in both directions!) than a fellow cyclist coasting and creating music via freehub. Can't believe people get annoyed by such silly things.

C'mon guys, road cycling is not an exclusive activity for only watt worshipers.
Likes For kar: