Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Changes to increase speed

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Changes to increase speed

Old 08-05-20, 01:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don't get this fascination with cadence. Seems like anyone who's done any training with a powermeter eventually realizes it might be mildly interesting but functionally unimportant.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-05-20, 01:52 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
And you have 17 posts. I have 3,408 posts. So, there's that.
Hey, we all once had 0 posts. @BoraxKid isn't wrong because he has 17 posts. He's wrong and he has 17 posts.
Likes For RChung:
Old 08-05-20, 02:06 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Cadence is important, but it's also something that people tend to figure out on their own. You can feel what your legs want to do.

The only common exception seems to be when cyclists convince themselves that bottoming out gearing on a climb isn't a performance issue. But that's also not a situation that a cadence meter will help with; the issue isn't that the person doesn't know that their cadence is low, it's that they don't acknowledge the power penalty. In other words, a power readout would be much more informative than a cadence readout.
Old 08-05-20, 02:29 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Hey, we all once had 0 posts. @BoraxKid isn't wrong because he has 17 posts. He's wrong and he has 17 posts.
True, true.

Though that quip was more of a reference to his posting "tip". Always a fun tangent when brand new people give tips on posting to people who have clearly wasted...er...spent... lots of time posting.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-05-20, 02:35 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Cadence is like bike weight- overvalued and overinvested because it's easier and cheaper to understand and measure than power or CdA. Yes, a lot of beginners would benefit from knowing they are not getting training improvements because they aren't recruiting their whole system enough when pedaling too slowly and coasting too much, or could benefit from not riding tanks on 2 wheels, but those aren't things that need more than some awareness to address.
Old 08-05-20, 03:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I don't get this fascination with cadence. Seems like anyone who's done any training with a powermeter eventually realizes it might be mildly interesting but functionally unimportant.
I think it's useful for beginners, because spinning a faster cadence doesn't feel natural at first. Once you've adapted to spinning faster, yeah, obsessing over it is probably chasing phantoms.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-05-20, 03:06 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Disagreeing with you does not make his post useless.
ok boomer.
Old 08-05-20, 03:11 PM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by surak
Cadence is like bike weight- overvalued and overinvested because it's easier and cheaper to understand and measure than power or CdA. Yes, a lot of beginners would benefit from knowing they are not getting training improvements because they aren't recruiting their whole system enough when pedaling too slowly and coasting too much, or could benefit from not riding tanks on 2 wheels, but those aren't things that need more than some awareness to address.
Well actually, power on the bike is a direct function of cadence and gearing; which is why I suggested using cadence as a proxy for power before investing the money into a power meter. Wow, it's like you didn't even read my post at all!
Old 08-05-20, 03:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

"Where do Mansplainers get their water? From a well, actually."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-05-20, 03:15 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Well actually, power on the bike is a direct function of cadence and gearing; which is why I suggested using cadence as a proxy for power before investing the money into a power meter. Wow, it's like you didn't even read my post at all!
How do you get power from cadence and gearing without slope, rolling resistance, CdA, air density, wind speed and direction, and draft effect? Am I responding to a real poster or the bot powered by Strava's power estimation algorithm?
Likes For surak:
Old 08-05-20, 03:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by mercator
I see all the talk about aero and training, but it seems to me that gearing must be near the top of the list in terms of what needs to be changed. From the OPs description, it sounds like a lot of riding is done in 40-11, or the highest possible gear. And he wants to go faster.

For a comparison, here is the OPs gearing compared to what I am running, and I don't consider myself all that fast. Also I'm old, but I use the 53-12 quite often and I don't think I could even pedal the OPs bike over 30 mph.
Yeah, I think we've wandered into the weeds a bit here. He needs bigger gears, but not necessarily more than, say, 48, because he lives where it's quite flat, and he'll never have a chance to spin out a 48x11 unless there's a hurricane blowing behind him - which, given he lives in Florida, is a distinct possibility.

Old 08-05-20, 03:37 PM
rubiksoval

This has to be someone's sock.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-05-20, 03:41 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts

Very likely.
Old 08-05-20, 03:50 PM
tomato coupe

ok boomer.
I'm a boomer?
Old 08-05-20, 05:46 PM
BoraxKid

How do you get power from cadence and gearing without slope, rolling resistance, CdA, air density, wind speed and direction, and draft effect? Am I responding to a real poster or the bot powered by Strava's power estimation algorithm?
Easy: force applied at the pedals times cadence gives you the power output from the rider into the bike. Since OP is new to the sport, this will be an instructive thing to look at, and it's the only factor that OP will have constant control over, aside from perhaps some marginal effects on frontal area presented to the wind. Why are you being so obtuse about this? Perhaps you should lurk more.
Old 08-05-20, 05:46 PM
BoraxKid

I am a person. I am not a sock. Jerk.
Old 08-05-20, 05:53 PM
surak

Easy: force applied at the pedals times cadence gives you the power output from the rider into the bike. Since OP is new to the sport, this will be an instructive thing to look at, and it's the only factor that OP will have constant control over, aside from perhaps some marginal effects on frontal area presented to the wind. Why are you being so obtuse about this? Perhaps you should lurk more.
I'm being obtuse? How do you magically calculate force with just a cadence sensor?

Folks, I think this is the Strava power estimator posting as an elaborate prank. The moment our worst timeline's version of Skynet gained self-awareness. Good thing that instead of terrorizing the human race, it will just go around giving us completely inaccurate power estimates on our rides!
Likes For surak:
Old 08-05-20, 06:06 PM
HTupolev

Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Easy: force applied at the pedals times cadence gives you the power output from the rider into the bike.
Right. And the devices that make accurate measurements of forces in bicycle drivetrains, for the purpose of calculating power, are power meters.
Old 08-05-20, 06:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I'm being obtuse? How do you magically calculate force with just a cadence sensor?
Bathroom scale pedals, duh. Just don't corner aggressively.
Old 08-05-20, 08:33 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Bathroom scale pedals, duh. Just don't corner aggressively.

Buy a couple of dog toys and cut out the "squeakers." Put one squeaker in each shoe. You can estimate the applied force from the sound made by the squeakers when you mash on the pedals. Calibrate with bathroom scales.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-05-20, 09:34 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Buy a couple of dog toys and cut out the "squeakers." Put one squeaker in each shoe. You can estimate the applied force from the sound made by the squeakers when you mash on the pedals. Calibrate with bathroom scales.
Many years ago I lived next door to a woman who had toy dogs who barked all ****ing day. Cutting out their squeakers is a good idea but putting them in my shoes would have been messy.
Likes For RChung:
Old 08-05-20, 09:38 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by RChung
Many years ago I lived next door to a woman who had toy dogs who barked all ****ing day. Cutting out their squeakers is a good idea but putting them in my shoes would have been messy.
Dog toys, not toy dogs. But ... I hear you.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-05-20, 09:52 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

I had a bike with a BB creak that kicked in pretty reliably at 150w.
Old 08-05-20, 10:02 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Dog toys, not toy dogs.
Oh. That's different.

Never mind.
Likes For RChung:
Old 08-06-20, 03:58 AM
rubiksoval

I am a person. I am not a sock. Jerk.
Ah, new word, huh?

You're learning a lot today!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.