Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Fitting - Boston area

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-07-20, 07:02 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts

I am looking for recommendations for a bike fitter in the Boston area. I am a recreational rider who rides 4-5 times per week. I have no plans for competitive riding, just looking to improve overall comfort and increased efficiency. My bike, a Cannondale Synapse, has not caused me any significant problems or discomfort, but I am confident that a fitting performed by a competent fitter will only make things better.
Old 08-07-20, 07:28 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
I understand in my area, with the current COVID-19 pandemic, that no shops are currently doing any bike fitting.
Old 08-07-20, 08:19 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Are you in the Boston area? I have talked to 2 shops. Both are doing fittings but because they were closed for a time due to COVID, they are booked up.
Old 08-07-20, 08:19 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I would check with Belmont Wheelworks. They are one of the best shops in the Boston area.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-07-20, 08:35 AM
oldwinger14

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the Belmont Wheelworks website....they have suspended doing any fittings until further notice due to COVID.
Old 08-07-20, 09:47 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
I bought a Giant Defy from these guys. They offer fitting although I opted to not be fit at this time so I can't say if they're any good.

https://www.bikewaysource.com/articl...d-ma-pg144.htm
Old 08-07-20, 09:56 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3247 Post(s)
Liked 2,074 Times in 974 Posts
Try Fitwerx in Peabody
Old 08-07-20, 10:11 AM
oldwinger14

Originally Posted by ririder
I bought a Giant Defy from these guys. They offer fitting although I opted to not be fit at this time so I can't say if they're any good.

https://www.bikewaysource.com/articl...d-ma-pg144.htm
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give these guys some consideration. I visited their website, though, and saw one statement that puzzled me a bit. On their Fitting webpage, they state "Get a complete fitting in 30-60 minutes rather than 2-3 hours".

I would prefer that a shop spend as much time as needed on a fitting rather than talk about how quickly they can do it. Makes me a bit leery that the fitting may not be as comprehensive as it should be.
Old 08-07-20, 10:13 AM
JPChap
Ridin again

Bikes: Gary Fisher AR Super

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I would check with Belmont Wheelworks. They are one of the best shops in the Boston area.
I'll second Wheelworks. Bought my bike there and had a good experience through sales and fitting. Granted, this was 10 years ago...
Other than that, my brother had a decent experience at Cycle Loft in Burlington, though I've never been a big fan of their sales help when I've gone in.
Old 08-07-20, 10:17 AM
oldwinger14

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Try Fitwerx in Peabody
Thanks for the feedback. Fitwerx is the first place that I was interested in. I swapped emails with their owner (Marty) about 3 weeks ago. He said they are doing fittings but they were booked going into September. I told him that I am willing to fill in any cancelled slot that may become available. To date, I have heard nothing, but based on reviews and other info that I have read online, they remain high on my list but I prefer to get the fitting done sooner rather than later, as the riding season in the Boston area can end abruptly once Fall sets in....or Fall rides can be great. You never know!
Old 08-07-20, 10:39 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3247 Post(s)
Liked 2,074 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
Thanks for the feedback. Fitwerx is the first place that I was interested in. I swapped emails with their owner (Marty) about 3 weeks ago. He said they are doing fittings but they were booked going into September. I told him that I am willing to fill in any cancelled slot that may become available. To date, I have heard nothing, but based on reviews and other info that I have read online, they remain high on my list but I prefer to get the fitting done sooner rather than later, as the riding season in the Boston area can end abruptly once Fall sets in....or Fall rides can be great. You never know!
My wife had her fitting there when she bought her Guru. They’ve been really good with helping her out and adjusting fit as necessary. We don’t live there, but have a house in Marblehead that we spend a bit of time at and Fitwerx is her go to when we’re out there.
Old 08-07-20, 10:44 AM
oldwinger14

Originally Posted by phrantic09
My wife had her fitting there when she bought her Guru. They’ve been really good with helping her out and adjusting fit as necessary. We don’t live there, but have a house in Marblehead that we spend a bit of time at and Fitwerx is her go to when we’re out there.
Good info...thanks. Fitwerx remains high on my list.
Old 08-07-20, 05:59 PM
Jrod721

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe Ace Wheelworks in Cambridge or Landry’s on Commonwealth Ave. in Boston/Rt. 9 in Natick?
Old 08-07-20, 06:36 PM
oldwinger14

Originally Posted by Jrod721
Maybe Ace Wheelworks in Cambridge or Landry’s on Commonwealth Ave. in Boston/Rt. 9 in Natick?
Both both of the places that you suggested are not currently doing fittings because of COVID. Thanks for your suggestions though
Old 08-07-20, 06:46 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
Both both of the places that you suggested are not currently doing fittings because of COVID. Thanks for your suggestions though
Maybe getting a fitting done isn't the best idea.
Old 08-07-20, 07:06 PM
oldwinger14

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Maybe getting a fitting done isn't the best idea.
You might be right and I have given that some thought.

I have been diligent at protecting myself and others by always wearing a mask when social distancing is difficult. I made the assumption that, with the proper precautions taken by the store and it's customers, that a trip to a cycling shop would not be any different than going to any other retail location. I would feel more comfortable at a LBS than I do when I go to a supermarket.
Old 08-07-20, 07:14 PM
oldwinger14

Originally Posted by JPChap
I'll second Wheelworks. Bought my bike there and had a good experience through sales and fitting. Granted, this was 10 years ago...
Other than that, my brother had a decent experience at Cycle Loft in Burlington, though I've never been a big fan of their sales help when I've gone in.
I lived in Burlington for 25+ years before moving to the MetroWest area 3 yrs ago. I am very familiar with Cycle Loft. Their website says ​​​they are doing fittings. I will get in touch with them tomorrow and chat with them. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 08-08-20, 12:40 PM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Landry’s in Natick is supposed to be good but, like most shops, they‘ve suspended fittings for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-08-20, 04:04 PM
oldwinger14

Yeah, I had gone to their website and saw they have suspended fittings. Thanks for mentioning them though.