Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 01:28 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
90ish mintes on the rollers today. Still a lot of phlegm coming up in my coughs. Probably going to avoid the training crit tonight. It's amazing how quickly atl falls off when I take days off. After Monday and Wednesday off, I'm sitting at an ATL of 71 and ctl of 98.1. Two days of no riding. I know its for the best, but .
Old 04-06-17, 01:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
CTL is coming up. Still -11 vs. this date last year, but every other indicator is coming up.
Old 04-06-17, 02:01 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
did like 75 hardish miles yesterday. am tired. Went out to do the thursday training ride but was late due to a talking-to at work, and then it was sprinkling and threatening to get wet so I called it a recovery ride and noodled back. TSB still in the negatives. I'm tired.
Old 04-06-17, 02:20 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Snuggle with the twins when you get home and take a nap? There are worse things to do.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-06-17, 03:40 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I rode today. It was windy. 20 mph headwind with gusts to 30 mph on the way back home. I didn't mind the headwinds so much, but sometimes it was a gusty crosswind and that sucks.
Old 04-06-17, 03:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Snuggle with the twins when you get home and take a nap? There are worse things to do.
My twins are 13 now. I miss the days when I could flop down on the couch with one on each shoulder. That was the best.
Old 04-06-17, 04:01 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
My twins are 13 now. I miss the days when I could flop down on the couch with one on each shoulder. That was the best.
Hey, my twins just turned 13! They mostly just flop on each other now.
Old 04-06-17, 06:59 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been eating very poorly and not riding all week. Today I did an hour of dinking around loosening up and trying out a new saddle. Oh, and visited my favorite place to buy recovery beverages twice. First time they tried giving me the beer I picked out free. Second was to bring back a PS/2 keyboard to fix their POs system for them so they could open their cash register and take my money dammmit.
Old 04-06-17, 07:38 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
ah ha. ha.

I have to take 2 days off work if I want time for a 60-minute nap. there is literally nothing restful about 2 1-year old babies.
Old 04-06-17, 08:34 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
I have been eating very poorly and not riding all week. Today I did an hour of dinking around loosening up and trying out a new saddle. Oh, and visited my favorite place to buy recovery beverages twice. First time they tried giving me the beer I picked out free. Second was to bring back a PS/2 keyboard to fix their POs system for them so they could open their cash register and take my money dammmit.
Whenever someone mentions a pos system is having issues I chuckle a little inside.
Old 04-07-17, 12:32 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Was complaininnig about my low ATL earlier today.. Well I decided to go to the training crit despite better judgment. Weather got absolutely beautiful here in Seattle for a few hours so isnuck out to do the B crit. Went in telling myself not to race, just hang out and get the work in the legs going up the climb. Wellllll, ended up being off the front most of the second half of the race trying to bridge to a dude, getting dropped, coming back to the pack and going again to bridge up to a colelgiate teammate. Thought the race was 40 minutes. Ended up being 40min + 2 laps so we got caught. Oh well. Burned the legs out, got some good work in for the week and ATL is back up to 93.8. CTL back to 102.

Also avoided crashing with the sketchy people in the 3/4 field. Might do the 1/2/3 in the coming weeks. I'm so used to the super small (Like ~10people)fields I race in for collegiate where it is always hard. Gonna take some relearning once I'm done with collegiate in a few weeks.
Old 04-07-17, 09:33 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Was complaininnig about my low ATL earlier today.. Well I decided to go to the training crit despite better judgment. Weather got absolutely beautiful here in Seattle for a few hours so isnuck out to do the B crit. Went in telling myself not to race, just hang out and get the work in the legs going up the climb. Wellllll, ended up being off the front most of the second half of the race trying to bridge to a dude, getting dropped, coming back to the pack and going again to bridge up to a colelgiate teammate. Thought the race was 40 minutes. Ended up being 40min + 2 laps so we got caught. Oh well. Burned the legs out, got some good work in for the week and ATL is back up to 93.8. CTL back to 102.

Also avoided crashing with the sketchy people in the 3/4 field. Might do the 1/2/3 in the coming weeks. I'm so used to the super small (Like ~10people)fields I race in for collegiate where it is always hard. Gonna take some relearning once I'm done with collegiate in a few weeks.
Seward?

That was always a good time, fun course.

my race videos
Old 04-07-17, 09:40 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
In LA for a Velo Sports Center training block and racing on Sunday.

Motor work yesterday - 8 laps: 2 on the motor 2 off, 18.2 second laps, 30.6 mph.

Old 04-07-17, 10:31 AM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did a run up a mountain on wednesday afternoon and it ruined my legs. and i hate that route anyway, climbing is stupid when running (i'm too tall and gangly to be good at going uphill). i guess the only positive is that i didn't do it the day before a race. either way, between feeling like someone dropped me off a cliff and bad weather and work i didn't ride yesterday. apparently thats the first day i've missed this year. maybe if i had realized that i would have tried to sit on the trainer for an hour, but given how it wouldnt have been productive at all (do i really care about 30 TSS?) i think i made the right decision.

picked up the TT bike last night and tried it out on the trainer this morning. i hate trainers, and my power is lower on trainers than on a flat road (which is in turn also lower than when climbing), but I was not prepared for how bad my power would be on the TT bike on the trainer. like maybe 75% of road power, and thats being generous. and staying in the sticks for appreciable amounts of time was uncomfortable as well (maybe a different saddle will help?). i know there's an adaptation period, and I've only put what amounts to an hour total on the bike so far, but I was not expecting for it to be this bad to start. granted, my legs are still pretty trashed from wednesday, and there's probably still some fit kinks to work through, but its going to be a long journey to becoming acceptable.
Old 04-07-17, 10:34 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Oh god TT bike on the trainer is pure torture. I had to do 3x15 at sweet spot a while ago and I bailed on the first one 10 minutes in... at what's supposed to be 90% of ftp!
Old 04-07-17, 11:27 AM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just did 10 minute easy, 10 minute 30s on/off, 10 minute easy and it was torture. the 'on' was only averaging 275W. im pretty sure when i toweled off the bike it was more from tears than sweat. on the road bike i could average >400W for the 'on' portions for the same effort (because I could stand), and even on the trainer i'd still expect to average 340W and at least 3 sets of 10. lots of work to do
Old 04-07-17, 03:41 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by mattm
Seward?

That was always a good time, fun course.
Yeah, Seward park. Wasn't the biggest field Ive seen there but still was a good time. As far as weekday rides its always something I look forward to. That and Tuesday night Hotlaps on mercer.
Old 04-07-17, 04:48 PM
Buckeye2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started anaerobic (8x1') training today for my first race (ever) in four weeks. Just curious what the general "pacing" strategy should be on these. My best minute ever was after a hard 30" sprint/fade (~550w for 1'). Should I be trying to hold, say, 525w for the minute evenly paced in my training or should I do a hard sprint followed by the gradual fade?

I find it hard to get up to that power and evenly "pace" it, but I am very inexperienced when it comes to this type of interval work.
Old 04-07-17, 05:03 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
The crap in my chest will not go away! Doctor's appointment is on Monday, seeing as it's been around for like 3wks now I believe this one is gonna require meds.

Openers today, race tomorrow, party!
Old 04-07-17, 07:16 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1.5 hours single leg drills on the roller this morning followed a half hour outside. Another 1.5 hours outside this evening at base pace.

Think I got all the ingrained laziness and reliance on sweets from this Winter out of my system this week. Tan lines are crisp and I'm ready to roll now.
Old 04-07-17, 09:20 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Got to Walla Walla for the race weekend a bit early. Got out and around the course. 45 minute ride with a fun little lead out for a teammate. Gonna be a winy one tomorrow.

Sitting high enough in CTL and low enough on ATL that i should do fine tomorrow. This illness is still hanging on a bit, but shouldn't bother me while racing
Old 04-08-17, 06:21 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckeye2
Started anaerobic (8x1') training today for my first race (ever) in four weeks. Just curious what the general "pacing" strategy should be on these. My best minute ever was after a hard 30" sprint/fade (~550w for 1'). Should I be trying to hold, say, 525w for the minute evenly paced in my training or should I do a hard sprint followed by the gradual fade?

I find it hard to get up to that power and evenly "pace" it, but I am very inexperienced when it comes to this type of interval work.
There isn't really a pacing strategy that I've found.

It took me four different attempts before I managed to pop off a 1 min max effort a couple of weeks ago. And then I had to go home because I killed myself. Never made it past 30-40s on the first few attempts.

So... Don't go all out on the first one? Go about half of all out? Then try to progress upwards? I don't know. 1 min is like sticking your body in a blender. By 40 or so seconds you start really hating everything. No way on earth you'd be able to do 8 of them if you were trying for max efforts.

I'd seriously shoot for something in the low 400s and just move on from there. You'll have to experiment a bit. But specificity is good, too. In a race you'd probably have a hard jump and try to hold it as long as you can, so I'd make my intervals similar to that rather than a steady pace that you probably wouldn't utilize.
Old 04-08-17, 08:17 AM
Buckeye2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
There isn't really a pacing strategy that I've found.

It took me four different attempts before I managed to pop off a 1 min max effort a couple of weeks ago. And then I had to go home because I killed myself. Never made it past 30-40s on the first few attempts.

So... Don't go all out on the first one? Go about half of all out? Then try to progress upwards? I don't know. 1 min is like sticking your body in a blender. By 40 or so seconds you start really hating everything. No way on earth you'd be able to do 8 of them if you were trying for max efforts.

I'd seriously shoot for something in the low 400s and just move on from there. You'll have to experiment a bit. But specificity is good, too. In a race you'd probably have a hard jump and try to hold it as long as you can, so I'd make my intervals similar to that rather than a steady pace that you probably wouldn't utilize.
I appreciate the response. I've found that something around 30 seconds is just a flat-out effort, around 3 minutes can be paced, but the gray zone in between is "no man's land" for me as far as strategy goes. I'll probably just have to experiment.

I really only got six decent efforts in before calling it quits, but I'm sure over time I'll get "better" at it (not that that would take away the suffering). Like you, I start to really give up after around 40 seconds.
Old 04-08-17, 08:36 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buckeye2
Should I be trying to hold, say, 525w for the minute evenly paced in my training or should I do a hard sprint followed by the gradual fade?
I find 1 minute efforts to be all about the mental state. It really helps me to have a specific visible target, like the top of a hill or a landmark up the road. I go just shy of all-out sprint (meaning, pedaling hard but not getting the upper body involved), which is painless for 20 seconds, then hurts at 30 seconds. After 30 seconds you sort of have to recommit every 10 seconds or so. Looking at an actual effort, that ends up being about 700w for the first 30 seconds, then a fade to 625w, then another fade to 550w, then a fade to 500w at the end. But none of the effort is targeted, it's just "almost as hard as I can go" followed by "one more big push" followed by "one more big push" followed by "one more big push."
Old 04-08-17, 08:38 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Leaving for a week in Mexico tonight ... a conscious effort to bury myself over the past week has resulted in me being totally buried, TSB -30, all I could do to hang on to the group ride this morning. Vacation time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.