Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

First eBike recomendations

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-16, 03:23 PM
npdion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm about to upgrade from an older Trek Navigator 300 and am looking (on paper, so far) at three bikes:
Trek Lift, Electra Townie, and BikTrix Stunner. The Townie seems like a hog, weight-wise, but it does have
the Bosch mid-drive, which seems to appeal to several posters on this forum.
Any and all suggestions, warnings, and recommendations would be welcomed, and thanks in advance.
And yes, I intend to test ride the Lift and Townie soon.
Old 10-02-16, 04:32 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
As usual, depends on your budget, range, speed desired and degree of DIY attitude.
Old 10-02-16, 05:45 PM
awm72

Bikes: Trek Lift + 2018

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Lift +

Originally Posted by npdion
I'm about to upgrade from an older Trek Navigator 300 and am looking (on paper, so far) at three bikes:
Trek Lift, Electra Townie, and BikTrix Stunner. The Townie seems like a hog, weight-wise, but it does have
the Bosch mid-drive, which seems to appeal to several posters on this forum.
Any and all suggestions, warnings, and recommendations would be welcomed, and thanks in advance.
And yes, I intend to test ride the Lift and Townie soon.
I did a lot of research and a few test rides. I liked more about the lift + than the other bike.s I rode.
I still wish it had a front suspension, but LBS altered height of handle bars and moved seat back a bit. It is more comfortable now. after the fact I added a rear rack, front and back lights, and supplemental bottle holders, and new seat post(Not Thudbuster, too expensive). Ride is OK. the support is enough so that I can ride a little distance now. Before the assist I could do distance but paid for it with back and leg pain for next 2 or 3 days. I have ridden bikes since I was 10 years old. I appreciate people that can ride drops(it really played havoc with my back), I appreciate those that ride on the skinny tires( I ride on all sorts of surfaces, so tires on Lift + are OK).
this first bike with disk brakes, it takes some time to get accustomed to the way they work). all in all the Lift + will cover my needs.
The Townie is heavy, thinking about lifting it after a long ride to get it on your bike rack.
I remove the Lift + battery when it is in the rack for travel.
I am sure the technology will catch up to what is needed for all weather transportation. not there yet, for any bike manufacture. I am also,IMO, aware of pricing of Ebikes is crazy, that should go down withing next 5 years or they will loose to the new car type that are coming down the road.
If you are riding for enjoyment, I wouldn't spend more than 3K for ebike. If you are commuting, I would up that another grand(for better parts and accessories). If you're handy and knowledgeable you could modify an old bike with a kit or piece something together. It always helps to know how the thing works, even if its only enough to tell mechanic that its the controller or wheels need to be trued. enjoy your search.
awm
Old 07-27-20, 11:01 AM
BruceI55

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered the Stunner after looking for something I can sit up on and most of all I liked the fact that the order is active on FB and ebikereviews... for what I wanted this seems great ... I’m just going to be riding a few times a week ... wanted the center hub to reduce maintenance... seemed right !
Old 07-29-20, 12:54 PM
gokhanbas

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4, Trek Allant+ 8s

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got Allant+ 8s as my first ebike.
It’s a pricy option, but it’s easy to ride and maintain, which is important for the first bike.