Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 10-24-17, 10:59 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
My Saab, she is dying. It's a 9-3 Convertible. It has been a fun car. It has been a terrible car. I love this car. It is a stupid car.

The last 12 months I've replaced...
Vacuum lines ($)
Evap Purge Valve ($)
Muffler ($$)
DI Cassette (Saab is weird) ($$$)
Ignition Switch ($$$)
AC compressor bypassed with a short belt mod ($$)
Left Axle ($$)

+ std maintenance stuff.

OK great. No repairs in 4 months. Things are good. My car is happy. Happy little car. Fast little car. It gets me where I need to go. I can stop worrying.

A month ago I turn on my car. I'm on my way out to see family that is in from Australia and I'm 3/4 awake at this point. Coffee sounds good. I will stop for coffee. Except, the passenger's side impact airbag went off when I turned on the car. My ears ring. I rue this day.

#Saab

OK, checked open recalls since there are known airbag issues from the early 2000's. My VIN isn't a part of them. GM is like sorry bro, we can't help you. Also Saab is dead. It's a 2001 and is worth about as much as a large bag of Doritos, so no comprehensive coverage.

OK, so what do? Hmm. I'm handy enough. Maybe I'll just swap in a new passenger's seat! Yea alright, salvage yards have em for $150-200. Aw sweet, my indy mech says that's a good idea and he'll do it, but he wants to give the car a once over to make sure there aren't any faulty sensors.

So yesterday I started making a gameplan with the mechbro to replace the seat and make sure no other airbags are gonna pop in my face.

Today I drove it like 3 miles to go check out another car I am thinking of buying, the CEL came on and there is now a rattling noise on decel, but only when the Turbo is spooled.

#Saab

The car I'm looking at is an 05 Acura TL. The pluses are full records, garage stored, all preventative maintenance done, comes with winter wheels and tires, pretty much pristine condition, and $3.5k. But I don't think I can justify buying another aging low end luxury car after the **** show that has been my current one, especially with the CEL turning on while driving over there.
Old 10-24-17, 11:30 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
My Saab, she is dying. It's a 9-3 Convertible. It has been a fun car. It has been a terrible car. I love this car. It is a stupid car.

The last 12 months I've replaced...
Vacuum lines ($)
Evap Purge Valve ($)
Muffler ($$)
DI Cassette (Saab is weird) ($$$)
Ignition Switch ($$$)
AC compressor bypassed with a short belt mod ($$)
Left Axle ($$)

+ std maintenance stuff.

OK great. No repairs in 4 months. Things are good. My car is happy. Happy little car. Fast little car. It gets me where I need to go. I can stop worrying.

A month ago I turn on my car. I'm on my way out to see family that is in from Australia and I'm 3/4 awake at this point. Coffee sounds good. I will stop for coffee. Except, the passenger's side impact airbag went off when I turned on the car. My ears ring. I rue this day.

#Saab

OK, checked open recalls since there are known airbag issues from the early 2000's. My VIN isn't a part of them. GM is like sorry bro, we can't help you. Also Saab is dead. It's a 2001 and is worth about as much as a large bag of Doritos, so no comprehensive coverage.

OK, so what do? Hmm. I'm handy enough. Maybe I'll just swap in a new passenger's seat! Yea alright, salvage yards have em for $150-200. Aw sweet, my indy mech says that's a good idea and he'll do it, but he wants to give the car a once over to make sure there aren't any faulty sensors.

So yesterday I started making a gameplan with the mechbro to replace the seat and make sure no other airbags are gonna pop in my face.

Today I drove it like 3 miles to go check out another car I am thinking of buying, the CEL came on and there is now a rattling noise on decel, but only when the Turbo is spooled.

#Saab

The car I'm looking at is an 05 Acura TL. The pluses are full records, garage stored, all preventative maintenance done, comes with winter wheels and tires, pretty much pristine condition, and $3.5k. But I don't think I can justify buying another aging low end luxury car after the **** show that has been my current one, especially with the CEL turning on while driving over there.
Poetry.

I finally "fixed" the check engine light in my Honda. Basically involved moving the o2 sensor about 4 inches further away so it would stop triggering the catalytic convertor error code. Its been running great recently and I fixed a rock chip in the windshield last night.

Hoping it sticks around. I love the convenience of having a car I can sleep and travel comfortably in while still keeping bikes inside. Gas mileage could be better and I wish it had some more power going up the mountain roads. And it's an aerodynamic brick and sucks in cross winds, but it has been a great car! Ticked it up over 169k this past weekend. I've put 5000 miles on it since June.
Old 10-24-17, 11:48 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
There's an easy fix to that rattle - just turn the radio up.

That said, we recently bought my wife a CRV. It pains me to say this, but I really like it. It drives well and has plenty of room. Granted, I prefer my BMW, but if I had to buy a new car tomorrow, I might consider a CRV.
Old 10-24-17, 11:59 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I would play the turn up the radio game, but the retractable antenna broke a week ago! Also the alarm started going off randomly in the middle of the night about the same time.

sigh...

#Saab
Old 10-24-17, 12:13 PM
topflightpro

Also the alarm started going off randomly in the middle of the night about the same time.
Turn up the white noise machine?
Old 10-24-17, 12:18 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
You won't be putting a child seat behind you (because they take up approximately 700 feet of space, seriously, people wonder why everyone drives giant SUVs when they have kids, try fitting an infant seat or worse a rear facing convertible in a normal car) but you'd fit fine in my car probably. I'm 6 feet and have no problem.
We had a honda fit. My wife resisted getting a "big" car so we ended up with a mazda cx-5. I can't even put the seat all the way back without contacting the child seat. I told her we should have gotten a van, and she wouldn't listen. It's such a pain in the ass. AND we have to park the car in the driveway because you can't get the doors open wide enough to actually load a kid into either car seat in the garage.
Old 10-24-17, 04:43 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I love vans. We don't have a van
Wives don't like vans.
Old 10-24-17, 04:48 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I would play the turn up the radio game, but the retractable antenna broke a week ago! Also the alarm started going off randomly in the middle of the night about the same time.

sigh...

#Saab
Buy a Toyota; it won't be fun to drive but it will not break down.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 10-24-17 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 05:05 PM
Doge

A girl has entered the picture. She happens to be getting lots of QOMs, he is not.
Old 10-24-17, 05:21 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
This is the only kind of car I buy:
My Saab, she is dying. It's a 9-3 Convertible. It has been a fun car. It has been a terrible car. I love this car. It is a stupid car....
I had a Nissan Sentra in my 20s. It was so reliable and I tried to make it interesting by not changing the oil and it just kept running anyway. After that, I just went to interesting unreliable cars.

4 Peugeots. 2 Diesels. I could blow a head gasket on the way home from work, pull one out of my stock and have it changed in 2 days (I road the bike to work every other) to drive back. One was one of 6 non grey market 1992 405s when Peugeot stopped US sales. It was down to a Saab 900 or Peugeot 405. The deal was too good. I then went Audi and got used to shelling out the dough. I had to chip them, modify exhaust, suspension etc. Then I got old and do the diesel Benz thing (buy used out of warranty). I mod them too. I love to keep them. 210K on my E320 going to junior. He wanted that over a new reliable thing. Mom is a little concerned over him having the diesel hot rod. I'm like - he races bikes ...
Old 10-24-17, 05:48 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I love the Sienna. In like a cardinal way. Greatest vehicle I've ever owned. Not sure I'd ever drive anything but a van again
Old 10-24-17, 06:12 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by Doge
This is the only kind of car I buy:

I had a Nissan Sentra in my 20s. It was so reliable and I tried to make it interesting by not changing the oil and it just kept running anyway. After that, I just went to interesting unreliable cars.

4 Peugeots. 2 Diesels. I could blow a head gasket on the way home from work, pull one out of my stock and have it changed in 2 days (I road the bike to work every other) to drive back. One was one of 6 non grey market 1992 405s when Peugeot stopped US sales. It was down to a Saab 900 or Peugeot 405. The deal was too good. I then went Audi and got used to shelling out the dough. I had to chip them, modify exhaust, suspension etc. Then I got old and do the diesel Benz thing (buy used out of warranty). I mod them too. I love to keep them. 210K on my E320 going to junior. He wanted that over a new reliable thing. Mom is a little concerned over him having the diesel hot rod. I'm like - he races bikes ...
I'll be pulling the code tomorrow but I think I've narrowed down this latest snafu to the turbo bypass valve, which is inexpensive and easy to fix. This unreasonable stupid car may live on, a monument to entropy and the folly of man.
Old 10-24-17, 06:36 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I used to have a Chevy Astro Van. It was great for cycling. It was also great for co workers putting up 'free candy' signs.

Last edited by furiousferret; 10-24-17 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 06:38 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Wives don't like vans.
We drove a man-van for basically every collegaite race this past year. I think it was a Toyota Sienna. They really weren't terrible to drive, but not my first choice. At least it had cruise control and AC for the long trip from SEA to grand junction. (Both of those are lacking in my Honda.)

I think one weekend we loaded 6 bikes + 2 people in there. Another we had 5 bikes + 4 people. It really was a great vehicle for bike trips. Enough space to fit people, gear, tents and still have room to do homework while someone else is driving if needs be.

Originally Posted by Doge;
Girl
Kiss the semi-pro / high performing cycling dreams good bye!

I need a girlfriend...
Old 10-24-17, 06:56 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
We had a honda fit. My wife resisted getting a "big" car so we ended up with a mazda cx-5. I can't even put the seat all the way back without contacting the child seat. I told her we should have gotten a van, and she wouldn't listen. It's such a pain in the ass. AND we have to park the car in the driveway because you can't get the doors open wide enough to actually load a kid into either car seat in the garage.
We have a cx7 for my wife and speed 3 for me. The infant seat fit in my car in the middle if I moved the seat up from where I want it. No way the convertible fits. We're expecting our second now, and I assume the minivan won't be too far behind. We can probably do her car with two seats as long as both passenger and driver don't mind being uncomfortable and we don't need to take another person anywhere. In time for the third kid will absolutely be minivan. They just make too much sense. Not sure if I'll get one too or not.
Old 10-24-17, 07:19 PM
Doge

I'll be pulling the code tomorrow but I think I've narrowed down this latest snafu to the turbo bypass valve, which is inexpensive and easy to fix. This unreasonable stupid car may live on, a monument to entropy and the folly of man.
If you have not already - chip it!
Likely everything else will fall off first.
Old 10-24-17, 08:20 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Wives don't like vans.
I've been trying to sell my wife on a minivan for years and she just won't have it.
Old 10-24-17, 08:50 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
test drove a cx5... wife said the rear was cramped.(she's 5ft tall) .. you being pretty tall, I can see this happening. We ended up getting a Subi Forester which has more space in the rear. Not that you would sit in the back seat of the cx5, but I bet you would feel cramped in the headroom dept as well. Outside of a minivan or tesla SUV you would still be parking in the driveway though.
Old 10-24-17, 09:15 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

If you have not already - chip it!
Likely everything else will fall off first.
Every time I've thought about it something has had to be replaced. Chip is cheap, instant 30hp for a stage 1 requiring no engine mods, and word is it winds up improving gas mileage at the same time O_O

Anyway at this rate even if I don't buy a new car my old car will be mostly new by the end of the year. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.
Old 10-24-17, 09:50 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8189 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I had a Toyota when I lived in the mountains (4wd Tercel). Stabbed the brake pedal when I got cut off and both rear wheel cylinders blew fluid all over everything. Towed it to the shop where I worked and fixed it. The next time I drove it the clutch cable broke. One day on the way to work the fan sliced a hole in the radiator.
The catalytic converter plugged up so I took it off and knocked the stuffing out of it.
The distributor was a constant source of grief, timing wouldn't stay adjusted and ran like crap when I set it to spec. Gutless piece of crap which worked great in snow and ice.
Not the worst car I've had, that would be a toss-up between a Volvo which was constantly needing something and an International Harvester truck which tried to kill me 3 times.
I'm a Chevy mechanic and the best cars I have owned have been Chevys. Put 300,000 on the last one without much maintenance at all. Put 300k on a 1965 pickup I had from the age of 19 until I was 38.
Old 10-24-17, 09:56 PM
Doge

Every time I've thought about it something has had to be replaced. Chip is cheap, instant 30hp for a stage 1 requiring no engine mods, and word is it winds up improving gas mileage at the same time O_O

Anyway at this rate even if I don't buy a new car my old car will be mostly new by the end of the year. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.
Yes - it does. Do it. Buy premium fuel, change oil.

I threw a rod on my tuned 2001 S4 with 180K on it. I had the option of spending about $20K for new engine, turbos and stuff for a reported 450hp result. I sold it for $1K and the mechanic made it my dream car. But I was too old for it and there is hardly any place to drive such a car responsibility.
Such places are I-8 (Yuma, AZ, East), and Montana.
Old 10-24-17, 09:58 PM
big john

Quoted: 8189 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts

My opinion is that if you add power to an old car (especially a turbo car) you are asking for trouble, unless you can resist the urge to flog it.

I don't know your financial situation but that Acura sounds decent if it's as nice as you say. I, on the other hand, tend to drive cars well beyond what average people do.
Old 10-24-17, 10:16 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by big john
My opinion is that if you add power to an old car (especially a turbo car) you are asking for trouble, unless you can resist the urge to flog it.

I don't know your financial situation but that Acura sounds decent if it's as nice as you say. I, on the other hand, tend to drive cars well beyond what average people do.
Most the Euro cars I've had have ample material to deal with power. It is the little stuff that breaks. The hose, valve, sensor, cup holder. Of course the Acura is more reliable. If I'm reading @TheKillerPenguin correctly, this is about love and passion, not what is decent.
Old 10-25-17, 06:54 AM
rankin116

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gunga galunga, gaunga, gunga lagunga
Old 10-25-17, 07:04 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by big john
I had a Toyota when I lived in the mountains (4wd Tercel). Stabbed the brake pedal when I got cut off and both rear wheel cylinders blew fluid all over everything. Towed it to the shop where I worked and fixed it. The next time I drove it the clutch cable broke. One day on the way to work the fan sliced a hole in the radiator.
The catalytic converter plugged up so I took it off and knocked the stuffing out of it.
The distributor was a constant source of grief, timing wouldn't stay adjusted and ran like crap when I set it to spec. Gutless piece of crap which worked great in snow and ice.
Not the worst car I've had, that would be a toss-up between a Volvo which was constantly needing something and an International Harvester truck which tried to kill me 3 times.
I'm a Chevy mechanic and the best cars I have owned have been Chevys. Put 300,000 on the last one without much maintenance at all. Put 300k on a 1965 pickup I had from the age of 19 until I was 38.
I think I mentioned my wife's issue with her Prius, but basically after 120k miles, it started eating oil. Not leaking, but burning it. There was not a drop of oil to be found under the car. We had to check the oil weekly, and drop in anywhere from a half to full quart. I was buying oil in bulk at Costco.

Then the car started shaking. She'd hit the gas and it would just shake. It started getting a bit scary when you expect the car to go forward and it just sits and shakes.

She had it checked out by two mechanics - one independent and one at the dealership where we bought it - they offered a "lifetime warranty" on the car. Both said to sell it. The indy guy said to sell it and get as much as we could before the problem became widely known and the car lost all its value. The dealer guy said Toyota had just sent out a notice about the issues, but they had no clue how to fix it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.