Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bib tights for tall thin person

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-17, 11:47 AM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

guys - all castelli stuff fits me perfectly and I usually buy small. The bib tight also fits snug and good in all areas except the suspenders aren't long enough since i have a long torso. Can you folks recommend another bib tight similar to castelli but with longer or adjustable suspenders - thx
Old 12-23-17, 02:10 PM
Xanthippus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you haven't already, try Castelli in large. I am 6'0 and 130 lbs/58 kg and Castelli L bibs are a perfect fit. Small/Medium would see my legs explode through them. Otherwise I've had success with DHB (chainreactioncycles house brand) in medium, but they are not as high quality as Castelli.
Old 12-24-17, 09:11 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by nob
guys - all castelli stuff fits me perfectly and I usually buy small. The bib tight also fits snug and good in all areas except the suspenders aren't long enough since i have a long torso. Can you folks recommend another bib tight similar to castelli but with longer or adjustable suspenders - thx
Maybe you've already thought of this for your existing bibs...but cutting the suspenders at the top and sewing on a few inches of material would be rather easy for someone with a sewing machine...or even by hand really.

Dan
Old 12-25-17, 01:09 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by nob
the suspenders aren't long enough

It is a problem with Castelli, especially the Nanoflex.

I went up two sizes and the straps dig into my shoulders and crush my groin. Their garments are made in China, Romania, Morocco, Italy and who knows where else and both sizing and quality varies even within the same model garment. Sizing on the Castelli Sorpasso seems marginally better than the Nanoflex but even so, wildly variable sizing and quality means that they have to be sources from a retailer with generous return policy.

A thread about it at https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...t-quality.html

7Mesh has accurate US sizing on bibshorts but their knickers and tights are not traditional bib design. Instead they have their own system which they claim is better but one needs to buy into their design.

Backcountry.com allows free returns when you work with an account rep. My "gearhead" Kyle sends me multiple sizes and models, whatever I ask. I let him know which I want to keep and he sends a UPS shipping label for me to return the rest free of charge. They only bill me for what I keep.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-25-17 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-25-17, 05:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Maybe you've already thought of this for your existing bibs...but cutting the suspenders at the top and sewing on a few inches of material would be rather easy for someone with a sewing machine...or even by hand really.

Dan
Yes. Finding some you like is such a crapshoot, don't give up on them too soon. Very simple to modify the straps.
Old 12-25-17, 07:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Cutting the straps voids the warranty.

@nob, what about Rapha? The Core Winter Tights are $150 right now and come with free lifetime crash or wear out repair. I don't know how warm they are but my Rapha bib shorts have very stretchy, comfortable bib straps.

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/c...roduct/CWT01XX

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-25-17 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-25-17, 08:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Cutting the straps voids the warranty.
I expect that would be correct, though I've never considered that clothing might have a warranty. Do people really do that? Wear something and then send it back? Anyway, if OP can't use his tights he's out nothing modifying them.
Old 12-25-17, 11:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I expect that would be correct, though I've never considered that clothing might have a warranty. Do people really do that? Wear something and then send it back? Anyway, if OP can't use his tights he's out nothing modifying them.

Castelli covers defects in materials and workmanship for 1 year. For that much money, if a seam started coming apart or another defect showed up, I'd send it back in a heartbeat.

Many Rapha garments are warrantied for life and have free lifetime crash or wear repair. Dave Zabriskie was wearing Rapha bibs with the yellow jersey when he crashed in the TdF. He sent the shorts back for repair and Rapha honored it, sent him a replacement.

7Mesh garments are warrantied against defects for life.

Many brands come with 30 day no questions asked returns. Kitsbow comes to mind.

Anyway, I'll bet the Rapha bibs fit the OP better.

-Tim-
Old 12-26-17, 06:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Good to know! I've returned stuff to sellers when it didn't fit but never thought of the other
Old 12-26-17, 04:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by nob

relatively simple to have someone splice in more fabric.

Shorts and Braces (suspenders) works for Me.. Base layer under more, insulating, over them..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-26-17 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-26-17, 05:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Castelli should be pleased if you want their bibs so much that you are willing to both pay for it and then modify it so that you can wear it. If later an unrelated issue happens and Castelli won't honor their warranty siting your modification, well that says a lot about Castelli. I'd have no hesitation talking it up online. Yes, Castelli would be "right" but sometimes being right is not as good as doing the right thing.

Ben
Old 12-28-17, 07:22 AM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
how is the sizing on the assos tneopro and habu bib tights? Are the suspender straps considerably longer than the castelli