Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike panniers with rear child seat

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-19, 06:47 PM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Guys

I use a trek fx2 biggest size as I’m tall and have a yepp maxi rear child seat installed. Now I have to say the steering and handlebar doesn’t feel the same with child on board. I’d like to add panniers on the rear rack but wondering if that’s a bad idea since it’ll further add more weight to the rear of the bike. Typically shipping at the farmers market would be about 4lb if additional weight on top of my 30lb child. What do you folks think - should I avoid and simply put on a backpack

thx

thx
Old 07-07-19, 07:25 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
It has been awhile since I've used a rack mounted child seat (not a Yepp) and looking at pictures of the Yepp Maxi I'm curious how you plan to fit rear panniers. Additional weight on front or rear will affect the handling but at least your market purchases will unlikely be "live" like your child passenger (unless you buy live animals at your market). My suggestion would be to get a trailer, but that's another level of expense, something else to store and maintain. As for panniers, if you can mount them on the rear, another 5-10 lbs likely won't make a huge difference to how the addition of your child seat with child changed how your bike handles. You could consider adding front panniers but that requires another rack and many bikes can't accommodate a front pannier rack. I will advise against a backpack because it will encroach upon your child when they occupy the seat and the pack is full. A bit of experimentation is in order and good luck.
Old 07-07-19, 07:41 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by nob
Guys

I use a trek fx2 biggest size as I’m tall and have a yepp maxi rear child seat installed. Now I have to say the steering and handlebar doesn’t feel the same with child on board. I’d like to add panniers on the rear rack but wondering if that’s a bad idea since it’ll further add more weight to the rear of the bike. Typically shipping at the farmers market would be about 4lb if additional weight on top of my 30lb child. What do you folks think - should I avoid and simply put on a backpack

thx

thx
Trailer, all the way.

Tubus intentionally down-rates its Cargo and Cargo Evo racks to avoid the legal snarls of condoning using their racks with child-seat contraptions. Here is what their website says:

• Carrying Capacity: 26 kg/57.3 lbs*
  • NOTE: *Maximum admissible load capacity for this carrier is limited to 26 kg /?57.3 lbs. as ISO 11243:2016 allows mounting a child seat from an admissible load of 27 kg /?59.5 lbs. or more. The carrier is not allowed for mounting a child seat and consequently not allowed for transporting children; therefore load capacity has to be limited to 26 kg/57.3 lbs. The carrier was successfully tested according ISO 11243:2016 with a test load of 40 kg?/?88.1 lbs., however, due to the above-mentioned legal reasons it is only admissible for a maximum load of 26 kg?/57.3 lbs.
I know of no rear bike rack that is actually stronger than this one.

Ok, so you are considering a contraption that would allow the seat to be mounted but not suspended by the rack. Now you are *really* in uncharted territory.

On the other hand, a kid trailer will have seating for one or two, plus room behind the seating for whatever you would have carried in the pannier. It's a lot more stable -- no risk of toppling onto its side as you dismount the bike. And has less impact on the bike's handling. I've towed my kids around in a trailer a lot ... until they got too big to be interested and preferred riding their own bikes. My son started when he was about 20 months old. My daughter was about two years old when she started riding in the trailer. They both really enjoyed it. And I had enough room in back for your typical ride to the park stuff; diaper bag, blanket/table cloth, food, etc. I towed this trailer easily with my Synapse. It would be even easier now that I have a hybrid with a longer wheel base and stiffer frame.

I do understand the problems trailers present, though; they are harder to park in the neighborhood grocery store's rack, and possibly a little heavier.
Old 07-07-19, 09:27 PM
Rick

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
I would put panniers on a front rack. Unless you use a cargo bike, you are really going to notice the child seat on a regular bike. I used bicycle carts during those years when my children were small.
Old 07-08-19, 07:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,563 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I would put panniers on a front rack.
+1. Balances things. Put too much weight on the rear (you+ the kid seat + groceries in panniers) and the bike can start acting up.
Old 07-08-19, 10:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I would put panniers on a front rack. Unless you use a cargo bike, you are really going to notice the child seat on a regular bike. I used bicycle carts during those years when my children were small.
Agreed. Also, the one thing we can assume about the child is she is going to get heavier so anything you mount back there may be on borrowed time until she's out of the seat.
Old 07-08-19, 07:17 PM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Guys - I should have clarified - the yepp maxi isn’t mounted on the rear rack. It’s mounted into a pole that’s the mounted directly onto the bike. This site has a good pic
https://www.talbotscyclery.com/produ...rrier-2910.htm

does this change your opinion?

thx
Old 07-09-19, 12:25 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
How it's mounted isn't relevant. It could be clamped to the steerer tube - it's the position of the weight that matters and as long as the child is sat over the rear wheel then that's where the weight is.

I used a trailer, it was great because she could sleep in it! And I got tonnes of shopping in the 'boot/trunk'. Hard work though, and needed a suspension conversion.

Then she was on the back of my full-suspension bike, her seat mounted to the seat post and tube. Once she got heavy, it got tricky to keep the front wheel down..

Now she's 8yo I have her on the back of a full suspension child-back tandem, which is by far the best thing we've used.
Old 07-09-19, 12:49 PM
Rick

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts

Child + groceries Rider + 200Kilos.
Old 07-09-19, 12:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Child + groceries Rider + 200Kilos.
Cargo bike--definitely not a good idea on a FX 2.
Old 07-09-19, 01:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Trailers are a lot of fun, but you definitely want a mirror on the handlebar. After the kid outgrows it, it's a useful utility device. We took one camping once. Great for hauling tents and sleeping bags.