Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When to Watch For Ice

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

When to Watch For Ice

Old 01-20-20, 02:57 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
When to Watch For Ice

Heya everybody,

I normally ride through the Winter as low temperatures stay in the mid 30's where I'm at. Question is, when low temperatures drop to the 29-32 range, should I be aware of any sort of ice on the roads in the early mornings?

When is it safe, and unsafe to ride in these temperatures?

For what it's worth my tires are Conti GP 700x32's.
Old 01-20-20, 04:08 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Whenever it drops below freezing. Black ice is really what you need to be watching for. It was -5C on my way to work this morning. I stuck to the main roads, which are normally fine, instead of back roads and cycle paths. The problem we have at the minute in the UK is ice as it's been raining almost non-stop since October. Only you can decide what is safe and unsafe. My normal club run still went out on Saturday. A few of us bailed in the car park, but many still went out.
Old 01-20-20, 06:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Air temp isn't a very reliable measuring stick - you can have icy conditions at 40* - the ground temp more relevant. If it's a time of the year that regularly gets below freezing, I'm wary of all dark/wet spots on the road, but in particular I'm going to take it easy in the shade (where ice can reform and/or is slow to melt) and on elevated roadways (which are more susceptible to temp swings than the ground).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-20-20, 07:03 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Biggest risk for ice IMO is when there is snow on the ground, daytime temps go above freezing, and overnight temps below. That means frozen runoff the next morning. No bueno.

Be vigilant and know your roads/conditions is best general advice.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-20-20, 10:15 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Here in the southeast US - where there is no snow to melt and it doesn't stay below freezing long enough for the ground to permanently freeze - the biggest risk is rain followed by a temperature drop.

Bridges, elevated roadways, and shaded areas are susceptible to ice. When it's below freezing, I am wary of anything that looks damp, which usually occurs in areas that haven't seen the sun for a bit.
Old 01-20-20, 10:55 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
One thing I learned about growing up in Montana was that clear skies in the morning usually meant ice. Here in western Oregon we'll get cold nights with clear skies but ground fog that condenses onto the roads and freezes.

Due to being a fair-weather rider, I am rarely in a position to be riding on ice. When I do venture outdoors in the winter, I get sketched out on the organic material on the roads. We get to deal with moss that starts to grow on less-used roads and shoulders as the wet winter drags on. That stuff scares me, as it can be slick in wet/dry/warm/cold conditions and gives road paint ice-like slickness.
Old 01-20-20, 10:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
you can always just wait to fall. then you'll see, OK, yeah, right there, that's a problem
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-20-20, 12:18 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm
Heya everybody,

I normally ride through the Winter as low temperatures stay in the mid 30's where I'm at. Question is, when low temperatures drop to the 29-32 range, should I be aware of any sort of ice on the roads in the early mornings?

When is it safe, and unsafe to ride in these temperatures?

For what it's worth my tires are Conti GP 700x32's.
Ice is a result of:

1) Water on the road & temperature dropping below 0
2) Snow on the road that's compressed over time by vehicles (seen often at traffic lights, stops, intersections, etc.)

Just keep an eye on what your tires are rolling on and you should be fine. I personally don't ride during winters, because I dislike cold, but also because I don't like riding in slippy conditions.
Old 01-20-20, 01:24 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
It requires a very practiced eye to see black ice on the road, so this is one of the most dangerous kinds. If the temperature where you are riding fell below freezing and is shadowed, EVEN if the air temperature is 50 F or below, DO NOT take any chances and ride as if your traction can disappear at any moment. This means to stay over your center of balance and to always be aware of the road siding. This is usually gravel or grass and will afford you traction should you slide off of the road. Usually the air temperature will heat the shoulders and that the edges of the road so that if you slide across, the edge of the road can usually restore traction before you slide completely off of the pavement. All people that ride road bike should practice gravel trails so that they can learn that with care road tires are perfectly acceptable on a gravel shoulder.

In this case the major danger is that the pavement to shoulder can have a step often of an inch or more. So you have to learn by practice the method of getting back over that step and back onto the road. Some people swerve so that they hit the road at more of a right angle and it is then like a bump. Others can bunny-hop back over that pavement hump. In either case remember that you arrived there because of ice.
Old 01-20-20, 09:29 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
The notice in my Subaru to look out for ice comes on at 3 degrees, so I use that as my rule of thumb.

A couple of weeks back the temperatures was around 4 or 5 degrees in the morning while I was waiting for the bus. A cyclist took a turn at the road ahead of me and the bike just slide out from under him. I am guessing he hit a patch of black ice. The conditions in that particular spot must have been perfect for ice to form. Luckily he wasn't going too quick, so I think he came out of it relatively unscathed.
Old 01-20-20, 09:37 PM
MoreLowGears

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 5 Posts
Any shade can hide ice in winter. The last snow was Thanksgiving and my parking lot still has ice sheets in it, despite many 50F days, because it’s in shadow all day. I will ride on studded tires for at least a few days after a major snow, and change back to slicks only after I see that the ice has melted on my route to work.
Old 01-20-20, 10:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
When it has gone below freezing the night before, I don't ride until/unless the temperature has gone over 40°. This is more complicated in hilly terrain because one wants the hill tops to also be above 40°. Safest course then is to stay low. If there's been a substantial snow, I wait for a warm rain to melt it all before going out. There is of course always a chance of finding ice so don't push it. In many years of doing this I've not gone down.
Old 01-21-20, 03:52 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you can always just wait to fall. then you'll see, OK, yeah, right there, that's a problem
hahahah. Thank you for making me laugh today.

Thanks everyone for the wise words. If I go out in these conditions I'll stay close to home and maybe do some hill repeats on a short hill I know very well. If not I will enjoy my warm bed and the extra hours of sleep!