Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike resting in front of air conditioning

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 08:30 AM
Neskid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there anyway this would be a contributing factor to a brand new I believe properly installed tube that has not been ridden?
Old 05-01-20, 08:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Yes. doesn't matter whether it's been ridden or not.
Old 05-01-20, 08:36 AM
Neskid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Essentially over inflating due to the tube contacting to the cold air?
Old 05-01-20, 09:16 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Um, cold air will tend to reduce the pressure inside of the tube/tire. You can neglect any shrinkage of the rubber due to temperature.
Old 05-01-20, 09:22 AM
Neskid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Um, cold air will tend to reduce the pressure inside of the tube/tire. You can neglect any shrinkage of the rubber due to temperature.
This is what I thought but wasn't sure if there is some unintuitive occurrence with rubber pressure vessels that are contained against a rigid wall.
Old 05-01-20, 09:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Remember that thin rubber wall isn't impermeable to air. Don't underestimate user error either.
Old 05-01-20, 09:32 AM
Neskid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had so many problems with the front wheel with flats including 2 brand new tubes never being ridden failing. I know a lot have been due to bad installation and low pressure. Last night after it failed one of if not the only times the rupture has been on the inside of the tube. I inspected the rim tape and in the area it was off center but I didn't see/feel an area that would have compromised the tube.
Old 05-01-20, 09:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Do you check the air pressure before you ride it? If I go two days between rides, I check and give my tires a stroke or two of the pump. If you go a long time without moving your bike, then roll it on a nearly flat tire, then air it up...... you might have issues.

If the pressure gets low enough to let the beads break from the rim, then there is some care that needs to happen before and during inflation. I've had bikes in storage, and when I rolled them just a little to get them in a better position to lift, the tires came off the rim.

...... notice the correlation..... more words from you per post.... more words from us. <grin> Just a friendly jab... don't take it as mean.
Old 05-01-20, 09:45 AM
Neskid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have checked since I have had so many issues over time but for awhile there I only had a hand pump that could only achieve 60 - 80 psi. These are 700 x 23c tires I have recently picked up a floor pump and been putting the tires to 90-110 trying to find a good pressure. I typically using conti tubes but the local shop has run out so I tried Q tubes is the brand I believe which is where the failures without riding have occurred.

​​​​​​I also remember seeing Kendra branded on the tubes in the box so might have the branding wrong
Old 05-01-20, 10:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

60 psi is way low for a 700 x 23 tire. 80 is arguable depending on total ride weight. As you've found, a floor pump lets you get to the higher pressures.

Butyl or latex tubes? I've used Continental tubes and other popular brands of butyl tubes. But for the riding I do, I don't need the weight savings or the additional suppleness they add to my ride. So I just use the cheapo Bell butyl inner tubes I find at the big box discount stores in the bike section. I don't get the thicker puncture resistant ones though. Those would be too harsh riding, heavy and hard to install, for me.

If there isn't an installation error, spoke or sharp place in the rim. Nor a wire or thorn poking through the tread or sidewall, then maybe a tube less highly regarded by those seeking high performance might help.
Old 05-01-20, 10:05 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Neskid
I tried Q tubes is the brand I believe which is where the failures without riding have occurred.​​​​​​I also remember seeing Kendra branded on the tubes in the box so might have the branding wrong
Q tubes are made by Kenda and are lower priced than some. I've used plenty of their tubes and never had a problem but every so often a mfr. can put out a bad batch.
Old 05-01-20, 10:11 AM
Neskid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has definitely been a process but since I have also only ever owned Walmart mountain bikes as a kid. Granted this bike isn't that much more (City Brand fixed gear I got off Craigslist in great condition) but having road tires has been a little different for me. I have been considering going tubeless after all the issues but know plenty have great performance from the tried and true.

​​​​​​Need to try also just replacing the used gatorskin on the problematic tire. My rear tire was just replaced with a fresh gatorskin after having the manufacturer Unbranded tire that wore out from riding along with the very occasional skidding I would do. That tire thankfully only had a few flats since it's more of a hassle to swap out.
Old 05-01-20, 10:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Tubeless might be an issue if you don't ride frequently. Consider letting a bike shop take a look at that wheel if you haven't already. And if the do or did and it gives issues afterwards, go back. There are all kinds of things that can be not readily apparent, even by the best of tire changers.
Old 05-01-20, 10:25 AM
Neskid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This wheel was recently replaced by a local shop so after this last night I decided I should take it in to have a follow up since the rim tape doesn't look like the greatest application. I ride nearly every day anywhere from 10-30 miles and there has been occasions of a few days to a week break depending on how I feel and the weather. Those days I have made had a look over on the tires and have not noticed anything.
Old 05-01-20, 12:34 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Did you originally get a flat from a puncture? if so, a glass shard or thorn might still be in the tire casing and giving you a slow leak puncture. Take off the tire and run a cotton ball around the inside to check if anything snags the fibers. Be careful doing it by hand as I've cut a finger on a glass shard. If you find anything, remove it before installing any more new tubes.
Old 05-01-20, 01:56 PM
Neskid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
Did you originally get a flat from a puncture? if so, a glass shard or thorn might still be in the tire casing and giving you a slow leak puncture. Take off the tire and run a cotton ball around the inside to check if anything snags the fibers. Be careful doing it by hand as I've cut a finger on a glass shard. If you find anything, remove it before installing any more new tubes.
Almost every flat on the road I can identify hitting a pot hole, object, rough road patch or blunt edge with each having a "snake bite" failure in the tube.

2 flats with no riding 1 tube had a preety extreme bottle neck at the pout where the valve attached which had a pin hole. The other was on the inside of the tube and the rim tape was a little wonky but no sign of anything.
Old 05-01-20, 02:13 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I've had so many problems with the front wheel with flats including 2 brand new tubes never being ridden failing. I know a lot have been due to bad installation and low pressure. Last night after it failed one of if not the only times the rupture has been on the inside of the tube. I inspected the rim tape and in the area it was off center but I didn't see/feel an area that would have compromised the tube.
Off center might be enough. If the rimstrip exposes the tiniest little crescent of spoke hole, the air pressure inside of the inner tube will push it against the raw aluminum edge and eventually cut the tube. That's a semi-common occurrence.
Old 05-01-20, 02:13 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Almost every flat on the road I can identify hitting a pot hole, object, rough road patch or blunt edge with each having a "snake bite" failure in the tube.

2 flats with no riding 1 tube had a preety extreme bottle neck at the pout where the valve attached which had a pin hole. The other was on the inside of the tube and the rim tape was a little wonky but no sign of anything.
Got it. I've had new tubes leak where the valve was moulded-into the tube body. Same with some I had in my saddle pack for a long time too. If you're getting snakebites, you should up your psi.
Old 05-01-20, 02:20 PM
Neskid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Off center might be enough. If the rimstrip exposes the tiniest little crescent of spoke hole, the air pressure inside of the inner tube will push it against the raw aluminum edge and eventually cut the tube. That's a semi-common occurrence.
Spoke hole was close to being exposed but could have shifted enough. So might redo the tape to eliminate any potential.
Old 05-01-20, 02:21 PM
Neskid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
Got it. I've had new tubes leak where the valve was moulded-into the tube body. Same with some I had in my saddle pack for a long time too. If you're getting snakebites, you should up your psi.
As previously mentioned I recently picked up a floor pump so hopefully just a bad lick with these recent tubes and will be good for a bit fingers crossed.
Old 05-01-20, 02:25 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Spoke hole was close to being exposed but could have shifted enough. So might redo the tape to eliminate any potential.
Check out where the hole in the inner tube is relative to the valve stem hole in the rim. If it looks like they might match up, that's it.