Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Bianchi San Jose stand over problems

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-05-06, 07:08 AM
jase1

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Specialized p.2, Haro x4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Bianchi San Jose. I'm 5'6 and have a 30 inch inseam. I went to a very reputable bike shop (rated very high in the city paper) in my city to check out the San Jose. I liked the look and single speed is very cool. I tried out the one they had on the floor (52cm). I though the standover to be a bit high because I have been reading that you need an inch or two for standover on a cyclocross bike. Mind you that the last road bike I had was almost 15 years ago and I don't remember the size or the fit as I was pretty young then.

In the store I stood over the bike and lifted the front wheel up about an inch, but not more. The sales person said that the bike looked about right. When I got on the pedals and put my hand on the bars, the guy said that it was the right fit. I was excited and took the bike for a test ride. The ride was awesome. While I am on the bike riding, I don't feel cramped, my leg extension is good, I don't feel like the bike is too big. I have even taken it off some simple off road trails and the bike feels great. Riding is not the problem.

Here's the problem though. When I stand over the bike at a stop, I can stand over the bike safely without hurting my self. There is a little bit of room. When I stand over the bike without shoes, my "stuff" is resting on the top tube. Again, riding is not the problem and I am able to stop put a leg down and take off again without trouble. However, I am wondering is this size is ok. I sat on a 49cm Bianchi Pista and it was too cramped. I sat on a 49cm Bianchi Veloce and the standover was good, but I felt cramped especially when I crouch down on the bars. In hindsight I am wondering if I should have waited and got the 49cm, but I was excited and bought the 52 based on the ride.

Sorry this is so long, but I've been thinking about this for awhile and I've been riding the bike alot trying to figure out if I can find problems with the ride itself, but I cannot. This standover thing irks me.

Please help.

Jase
Old 09-05-06, 07:44 AM
oopfoo
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I'd worry about it too much. How often does one do a both-feet-down plant across the top tube in bare feet? Ride the bike. You'll do fine, and you'll enjoy your purchase.
Old 09-05-06, 01:07 PM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What he said. I'm the same height as you, and found that 52cm (in general) just a tad big, but not an issue for road bikes. I own a 51cm LeMond, and though it had more margin of safety, I always felt it was just too small overall.

Just to be sure, my latest bike has semi-compact geometry, providing more clearance for my boys, which probably more in my head then anything else.

Enjoy your ride!
Old 09-05-06, 08:57 PM
GregC

Bikes: '04 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam as well...I ride a 52cm Ibex X-Ray and it feels right on the money as far as size (29" standover). Riding a bike that feels cramped and does not fit would have sucked...You made the correct choice...stop worrying!
Old 09-05-06, 09:34 PM
spunkyruss

Bikes: '64 Schwinn Traveler, '73 Astra Tour de France, '79 Fuji Gran Tourer, '86 Dahon folder, '94 Specialized Hardrock, '95 GT Timberline, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My general rule is that a bike is too big if the one's pubic bone is supporting weight on the top tube while straddling the bike in whatever footwear one chooses to ride in. I consider any additional standover clearance to be a matter of personal preference.

My advice is to get out and ride the hell out of the thing, instead of straddling it barefoot, obsessing about how much it touches your soft and danglies. I'm not being a smartass. Obsessing over sizing ruined my relationship with what was once my dream bike.
Old 09-05-06, 11:17 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
There are all sorts of trade-offs in making a bike fit, especially in this crazy specialty. It sounds like that bike is a near perfect fit. But just remember to wear shoes before waddling around while straddling the top tube. This is the way my bike fits as well.

Funny, every time this subject comes up I mention that there's almost no occasion to straddle the tube in a race: well, last night I saw video of Sven Nys doing just that. The course had this really awkward hill the size of a minivan covered in mud that he could just almost climb on the bike, but would have to dismount to take a couple steps to finish. On one lap he actually tried it, pedalled as far as he could and then straddled the thing and goofy-walked it over the top and remounted. He didn't do that again. Anyway, he was wearing shoes, so had sufficient nadular clearance.

Ron
Old 09-06-06, 12:28 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Just wait until you crash or have an emergency stop. I learned the hard way. I refused to ride for 9 months after that. I just got a new bike to replace my new bike. Please be careful.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 09-06-06, 11:24 AM
jase1

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Specialized p.2, Haro x4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Thanks everyone for your advice on this, and I welcome any more insight you can give me even though there are alot of posts regarding standover. I took some measurements and applied them to the wrenchscience website. They recommend a 52cm road bike based on my measurements. But from what I gather based on their recommendation as to reach, the 49cm (based on specs from the catalog) would have been too short. BTW, Spunkruss, I know you were just proving a point and that point was well taken as I don't want to ruin this "relationship".
Old 10-16-06, 01:57 PM
enternamehere
Tyro

Bikes: Specialized Allez 54cm Black, Bianchi San Jose 55cm Green, Bianchi Mutt 19" Ugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hard to fit on san jose

I have the same problem - at a hair over 5'8" I'm in between San Jose sizes. The 52cm felt cramped, but the 55cm seemed long. I did a lot of comparisons and decided that the San Jose is the best buy for single speed cross bikes (or for any single speed commuter set-up) and so when one 55cm came in I grabbed it. But I don't think I fit right! I have fiddled with the seat height and position, but I feel like I don't quite reach the bars easily and I am a little short on the standover. I bought the bike from a very reputable bike shop, where I was told that the fit was good. Now I'm considering getting a shorter stem, which wouldn't take care of the slim standover clearance but would perhaps help the reach. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to determine if a shorter stem would help, and how much shorter to go?
Old 10-17-06, 07:34 AM
ducati

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'10.5" and vascillated on 55 vs. 58. The San Jose sizing kinda sucks, there's big jumps all around.

I ended up buying the 58, I like the bars-almost-level-with-seat for commuting purposes. Standover is fine, I'm not bothered by nadular grazing, and have a few inches to hard contact. Top tube is a tad longer than I like. I put a 90mm stem on it, shoved the seat all the way forward, and it fits great now. I'm considering a Thomson seatpost to get some more adjustment range in the seat (no setback) and allow the rails to cushion bumps better.

So have your LBS toss on a shorter stem (same rise) and give it a whirl. I bet that will help considerably. Most will swap one to try for yours to see what you think.
Old 10-17-06, 11:20 AM
enternamehere
Tyro

Bikes: Specialized Allez 54cm Black, Bianchi San Jose 55cm Green, Bianchi Mutt 19" Ugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shorter stem

I was looking on the 'net at bike stems. There are so many! I bet there's a thread discussing them, but as they apply to the San Jose: what's the best rise, and how does it affect commuting comfort/performance? I think I'll seek out an 80mm stem because I enjoy a 90mm stem on my 54cm Allez. Also useful for those who worry too much is this website, which "debunks" common bike fitting myths: https://web.archive.org/web/199802010...Debunking.html
Old 10-17-06, 11:37 AM
ducati

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went with a 17 degree Bontrager Sport I had lying around. I believe it is the same rise as stock. It's great.
Old 05-22-16, 06:08 AM
Juanbat85

Bikes: Nashbar Single Speed 52cm Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Jase1, I know this post is ages old, lol, but I found while searching for solutions my own nagging thought.

I am also 5'6 with a 30" inseem. My bike is a 52cm nashbar single speed. The next size down was a 49cm. All sizing charts told me it's the best fit but when I do a standover, I'm touching the top tube.

Don't know if this is relevant anymore but what did you end up concluding?
Old 05-22-16, 11:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
"Size " is length of seat tube .. standover is a separate measurement ..

You dont have to Buy a too Big Frame, but it sounds like you Did.

Inseam off your pants did Not include your Feet, did It?
Old 05-23-16, 02:15 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm 5'7 30" inch inseam and I had a 52 cm Bianchi San Jose.

Be aware its a classic CX bike and the bottom bracket is higher than on a road bike.

I usually ride a 54-55 cm in a road bike and the 52 cm - one size down - in the SJ was spot-on for me.
Old 05-24-16, 07:43 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Standover is probably the least important consideration in bike fitting. In 40+ years of cycling, I have never had an issue with it and most of my bikes have less than 1" of standover clearance. What you should be considered about is top tube and head tube length, which will determine how comfortable your bike feels while riding.
Old 05-24-16, 07:13 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
^ that, only that^
Old 05-25-16, 10:33 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Standover is probably the least important consideration in bike fitting. In 40+ years of cycling, I have never had an issue with it and most of my bikes have less than 1" of standover clearance. What you should be considered about is top tube and head tube length, which will determine how comfortable your bike feels while riding.
It depends on the riding. For road biking, yes, stand-over isn't important. For off-road, stand-over is highly relevant. Back to the OP's point, if you have shorter legs for your height, many brands of bike simply can't fit, especially ones with nearly horizontal top tubes. Long torso = long top tube = bigger frame. Short legs = no standover.

Bikes with sloping top tubes are much better if you're in the short legs category. I see the Nashbar bike has a horizontal top tube. You likely can't fit it comfortably, either you're going to compromise standover or fit while riding. My advice would be to try different brands.
Old 06-08-20, 12:35 AM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
so what sz did you end up going with and whats the review after the time spent on it?