Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2 falls one week :( Should I be unclipping both sides???

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-30-13, 01:05 PM
GaryPitts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I fell last Saturday and lesson learned. Only my 2nd fall ever, but it's only been 3 months since I clipped in. This time I learned to never try to start when going uphill. Ever. I was actually off-road having stopped for a short break at the lake and thought I could clip back in and ride to the road which was only 15 feet away. Uphill. Don't do it! Again, lesson learned.

Today, I'm getting my car worked on 50 miles from home and took the bike to pass the time while I wait. There's a short greenway that then turns into a sidewalk about 1/4 from the car dealer. I'm on the sidewalk on the left side of the road, come to a place where there is a road entrance to a shopping center, make eye contact with an oncoming car and unclip the left side in anticipation. After eye contact, I expect she's going to let me go, but then she waves at me and pulls on across. I can't complain about that because she had the right of way. Anyway, even though I unclipped on the left, when I stopped half unexpectedly my balance went right and over I went bloodying up the same dang knee that was starting to scab over from Saturday. Argh... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IUQgEMYcM

So my question to the group is, do you usually unclip both sides when there is any anticipation of stopping? Or have you been at it long enough you just unclip one side and manage to always keep everything under control? My knee is wanting to know how to stop this!
Old 08-30-13, 01:21 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I decide to stop, I figure I'm going to need both legs/feet, so yes, I usually unclip both. Right foot first.

Good habit to get into, I think.
Old 08-30-13, 01:34 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I almost always leave the left foot attached. I usually don't unclip the left until after I've stopped with right foot on the ground, and only if I need both feet on the ground for stability or I'm going to get off the bike.

But that's just me, though. I've fallen 3 times since going clipless, all within the first 2 months, and every time was because I forgot to unclip one foot before coming to a complete stop.
Old 08-30-13, 01:37 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I always only unclip 1 foot. Easier to start back up again.

As for " .. never try to start when going uphill .." ... practice.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-30-13, 01:39 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Definitely helps if you're in a lower gear to get going uphill.
Old 08-30-13, 01:53 PM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always unclip left foot since you ride with traffic and I lean to the left on the road to stop where there is a more stable flat platform unlike the shoulder of the road where rocks; debris; crazy stuff is that will slip grip and you look like a flounder on land! But not advocating my style to you..........just my logic why I do the left. I like to stay clipped in on the right until dismounting at a stop so if I need to re-engage the crank to start back again.

Hate to hear you went down again. BTW- after waving you on then trying to kill you did the lady stop to see if your okay or keep going like nothing happened at her judgement call?
Old 08-30-13, 02:00 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryPitts
So I fell last Saturday and lesson learned. Only my 2nd fall ever, but it's only been 3 months since I clipped in. This time I learned to never try to start when going uphill. Ever. I was actually off-road having stopped for a short break at the lake and thought I could clip back in and ride to the road which was only 15 feet away. Uphill. Don't do it! Again, lesson learned.

Today, I'm getting my car worked on 50 miles from home and took the bike to pass the time while I wait. There's a short greenway that then turns into a sidewalk about 1/4 from the car dealer. I'm on the sidewalk on the left side of the road, come to a place where there is a road entrance to a shopping center, make eye contact with an oncoming car and unclip the left side in anticipation. After eye contact, I expect she's going to let me go, but then she waves at me and pulls on across. I can't complain about that because she had the right of way. Anyway, even though I unclipped on the left, when I stopped half unexpectedly my balance went right and over I went bloodying up the same dang knee that was starting to scab over from Saturday. Argh... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IUQgEMYcM

So my question to the group is, do you usually unclip both sides when there is any anticipation of stopping? Or have you been at it long enough you just unclip one side and manage to always keep everything under control? My knee is wanting to know how to stop this!
I also fell twice last week same day because i forgot to unclip left leg then right leg
Old 08-30-13, 02:10 PM
jdfriesen

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Excalibur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also almost always only unclip one foot (I do the right foot). The only time I regularly unclip both is when I am planning to get off, such as at an intersection where I have to get up on the sidewalk to push the walk button in order to get the light to change. I often have to do that on my way home. It's really busy one way, but the light in the other direction can be a long wait, as traffic is light on that side.

I've had 2 falls. One due to a panic stop where I had a car pull right in front of me. I avoided impact, but was not thinking about unclipping until I realized I was stopped and falling over. The other time was when I clipped my right foot out in preparation for my step, but without thinking made a bit of a left turn before I stopped, which of course left me leaning in my clipped in direction. That was a "lesson learned" experience, and now if I think I may have to make a left lean, I will unclip both. Pretty rare, but after falling once because of it, I'm pretty good at remembering!
Old 08-30-13, 02:12 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryPitts
So my question to the group is, do you usually unclip both sides when there is any anticipation of stopping?
Nope.

I just unclip the left side when I'm actually going to stop and done shifting to an appropriate cog for starting.

For shorter stops I usually track stand with my right foot forward and left pedal beneath my left arch.

For longer stops put my left foot on the ground as when riding a motorcycle but usually move off the saddle so I can be flat-footed.

Or have you been at it long enough you just unclip one side and manage to always keep everything under control? My knee is wanting to know how to stop this!
16 years a few of them commuting 10-12 miles one way with 23 traffic lights and 10 stop signs (I counted once).
Old 08-30-13, 02:22 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
if you unclip both sides how are you going to reach the ground? I can barely touch with my tippy toes.

I always unclip right foot and move forward off the saddle. I haven't fallen in 15 years. You'll get better.

And +1 on practicing starting off up a hill. Unless it's 14% or something, that would be pretty tough.
Old 08-30-13, 02:38 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
On my commute route there's a 4+ mile stretch where there are lights every other block and I'll almost always hit 6 of them in the morning (out of 19). Usually ~50 yards out I'll assess if I'm going to push to make the green or start my "approach." I'll typically coast in the last 15-25 yards with the left foot unclipped but in a position to immediately lock back in if the light goes green or there's a need to make evasive maneuvers.

When I commit to stopping I'll lead my left (plant foot) out and then my butt off the saddle towards the handlebars. If it's a long light I'll unclip both and 'rest' on the top tube but that's pretty rare. I purposely have my right pedal a require more effort to unclip as that's my drive leg usually and for whatever the reason it's also the foot that occasionally falls asleep on long runs so I can wiggle and flex it without coming unclipped.

I keep my left pedal very loose, virtually zero effort to unclip, just enough to keep me locked into place.

I've yet to have a terrible fall or spill but once I started commuting I practice for 10-15 minutes on a grassy area on Saturday mornings for emergency stopping. I'd rather fall and hurt myself in a controlled, comfortable environment then run into a problem where my life or limb is on the line and I'm not comfortable with my control.
Old 08-30-13, 03:05 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
I don't I clip with both feet, but can I clip without thinking about it with either.

Work on alternating the foot you unclip, until its second nature to unclip either.

If you always unclip right, there will be a time you end up leaning left.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-30-13, 03:15 PM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so I'm a newbie and take it for what it's worth.
When coming to a stop I downshift to make getting started again easier. Then I unclip only my left foot. This is the same foot I always put down when riding one of my motorcycles. Works for me.
Old 08-30-13, 03:19 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i unclip my left foot only.
Old 08-30-13, 03:23 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Watch the Pro bike racers; what I see is that they unclip both feet.

I can do that, but it seems weird to still be on the saddle with both legs dangling. If I lean to one side or the other I can touch the ground and get off.

Normally, I unclip on the left and turn slightly to the right as I come to a stop; that assures that I will be leaning to the left as I stop, so I can get the unclipped foot on the ground.
Old 08-30-13, 03:26 PM
blackvans1234

Bikes: '13 Specialized Secteur Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually only unclip my left foot. I am also new to the ''clipless'' category. The one tumble I took was when I unclipped my right foot and started leaning to the left.

That happened multiple times (leaning to the left, not falling), so now I always unclip the left foot.
Old 08-30-13, 04:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I only clip out with my left foot. Usually if it's not a terribly long light (or if it's a stop sign) I'll just trackstand. But if I'm feeling lazy and want to put a foot down, I clip the same foot out every time, and then I'll lean the bike to the left a bit.

You can start the bike moving while you clip in, it just takes practice. One thing is that when you know you're coming to a stop, you should shift into a gear that will be easier to start back up in. I know that everybody on bike forums likes to shift the bike into the highest gear so they can take pictures of it in front of a garage door, but when you actually ride a bike instead of just posting about it on the internet, you'll want to shift into an easy gear before you stop, so it's easy to get started again, especially going up hill.
Old 08-30-13, 04:31 PM
gabkr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also,never back up on a grade with one foot clipped in.......don't ask me how I know this......
Old 08-30-13, 06:52 PM
raiden07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I start uphill I push off and coast across the hill long enough to get clipped in then turn back up the hill.
Old 08-30-13, 07:02 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I unclip both, and leave one foot centered on the pedal ready to clip in if I step hard. I also switch to Shimano SH-56 Multi-Release cleats since I use them for mountain biking. They're much easier to bail out quickly.
Old 08-30-13, 07:07 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytrip
When I decide to stop, I figure I'm going to need both legs/feet, so yes, I usually unclip both. Right foot first.

Good habit to get into, I think.
There is no reason to unclip both feet. This just makes it more difficult to start up again. If you have a problem unclipping one foot to stop, unclipping both only makes matters worse. You, however, can do it however suits you.
Old 08-30-13, 07:13 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
Unclip left foot only, learn to balance better and use the left foot as a kick stand...
Old 08-30-13, 07:15 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I trackstand. But if I have to unclip, right side only..
Old 08-30-13, 07:33 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I only unclip one foot also, the left.

Make sure you downshift when you're coming to a stop. Starting is much easier even on a hill.
Old 08-31-13, 05:57 AM
GaryPitts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclelogikal
Hate to hear you went down again. BTW- after waving you on then trying to kill you did the lady stop to see if your okay or keep going like nothing happened at her judgement call?
She didn't wave me on, she waved to say thanks for letting her go on through. Nobody stopped, but that's OK. Like I say, she did have right of way and I fell from almost a stop and was up quickly so it was obvious I was OK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.