Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Flat bar shifters on a hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-14, 03:11 AM
Candle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what people's opinions are on these kind of shifters, as regards the different brands?

Additionally, am I right in assuming that Shimano's best FBS is the Tiagra one?

Does anyone use this shifter, and how have they gotten on with it?

On a related note, has anyone had any luck using a different brand's shifter with Shimano parts, and if so, how did you manage it?

Apologies, messy thread, I know.
Old 05-24-14, 04:52 AM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've only tried Shimano so can't speak to other brands. They do have an Ultegra class flatbar shifter, the R780, 10 speed. I have the previous version the R770 and can tell you it is a sweet shifter. The R440, 9 speed, I have on my other bike is not too far behind. There is also Shimano's mountain bike line available too.
Old 05-24-14, 09:18 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Hello. Shimano Rapidfire Plus shifters are great. The thumb and forefinger combination is ergonomic and functional. It has been around the MTB world for a long time and when Shimano tried to kill it - they backpedalled pretty hard. The issue is that they also have the patent on rapidfire plus so other manufacturers have to come up with other solutions. The question then becomes, "Which shifting method do you prefer?"

Push - push is made by many manufacturers - some compatible with shimano 7,8,9, or 10 index. Proven and functional. Many options for many drivetrains. A contender for the top spot in the modern shifter ergonomics war until Shimano made their mid to upper end shifters push-push and push-pull

Twist shifters. Either you do everything possible to get these off your bike, or you do everything possible to get these on your bike. Most people are in the first category. Very intuitive

Thumb shifters. Hard to find but theyre out there and new ones are being made. Light, fast shifting, and entire cluster dumps in one motion. May be hard to find good position with hydros.

Compatibility is usually not an issue as long as you match the cable pulls and clicks to the cogs but if you want Guaranteed Compatibility (TM), stick with the gruppo.

Last edited by DorkDisk; 05-24-14 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-24-14, 09:26 AM
Candle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks guys. That's so helpful- couldn't ask for anything more!
Old 05-24-14, 10:19 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I saw in the news that there will be an 11-speed flat bar shifter to go with the next 105.
Old 05-24-14, 11:50 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ya know, I was thinking about this very thing today. I noticed that in my group ride, I *think* (imho) that I actually have it a little better than the roadies out there in terms of shifting. (one caveat being when I accidentally shift chain-ring the wrong way cuz I get used to RD shifting & FD is opposite...pfffft!!)

I'm only ever in one position, with possibly some improvised hand positions, but otherwise, I'm always at the ready.....and, yes, I absolutely LOVE the trigger shifters. (My C'dale Quick 4 has very vanilla Altus 8spd thumb/finger triggers) They are accurate, reliable and the only time I can knock them is when I don't push a climb shift far enough (my lazy thumb)

Anyway, I often notice roadies will be up on the hoods & if they get caught out on a quick turn, sudden climb, drop, etc. they have to quickly drop to the bottom, tap, tap, click, click while I've already shifted.

Coming from decades ago when I road an old SR 10spd w/ unindexed stem-shifters, my FBS are like a dream come true!
Old 05-24-14, 01:35 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
Ya know, I was thinking about this very thing today. I noticed that in my group ride, I *think* (imho) that I actually have it a little better than the roadies out there in terms of shifting. (one caveat being when I accidentally shift chain-ring the wrong way cuz I get used to RD shifting & FD is opposite...pfffft!!)

I'm only ever in one position, with possibly some improvised hand positions, but otherwise, I'm always at the ready.....and, yes, I absolutely LOVE the trigger shifters. (My C'dale Quick 4 has very vanilla Altus 8spd thumb/finger triggers) They are accurate, reliable and the only time I can knock them is when I don't push a climb shift far enough (my lazy thumb)

Anyway, I often notice roadies will be up on the hoods & if they get caught out on a quick turn, sudden climb, drop, etc. they have to quickly drop to the bottom, tap, tap, click, click while I've already shifted.

Coming from decades ago when I road an old SR 10spd w/ unindexed stem-shifters, my FBS are like a dream come true!
i

Not sure what you're talking about here?? With drop-bars/brifters, shifting from the hoods or drops is immediate. The only position requiring any significant hand movement is on-the-tops ... and even then any experienced cyclist can make that movement in a split second. No different than using bar-ends w/flat-bar shifters, as I do; if on the bar-ends it takes me no time at all to move to the grips.
Old 05-24-14, 01:48 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're right. I didn't mean to say "hoods" but "tops" and, yes, it's only a split second, but when you hit a turn & hill in an instant, I've blown by more than a few roadies in that situation. No biggie, just wanted to show much I love the triggers. I usually ride with finger/thumb at the ready just cuz the finers fall naturally into place there. (at least on my Q4)
Old 05-24-14, 05:56 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
You're right. I didn't mean to say "hoods" but "tops" and, yes, it's only a split second, but when you hit a turn & hill in an instant, I've blown by more than a few roadies in that situation. No biggie, just wanted to show much I love the triggers. I usually ride with finger/thumb at the ready just cuz the finers fall naturally into place there. (at least on my Q4)
Fair enough. If that's true, though, very odd; hills/turns don't suddenly materialize. One anticipates them, surely. As for 'blowing by' "roadies" ... ok.
Old 05-25-14, 04:23 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I prefer SRAM shifters;they use two thumb levers. This lets me keep a finger on the brake in heavy traffic,and works well with thick gloves or mittens in the winter. Their standard ones are SRAM-specific,but they also make a line that are Shimano compatible and about equal to Deore in quality.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 05-26-14, 12:24 AM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
I prefer SRAM shifters;they use two thumb levers. This lets me keep a finger on the brake in heavy traffic,and works well with thick gloves or mittens in the winter. Their standard ones are SRAM-specific,but they also make a line that are Shimano compatible and about equal to Deore in quality.
Newer Shimano shifters allow the tension release lever to actuate in either direction. This allows the lever to be manipulated by both the index and thumb. That function is on my M590 Deore 3x9 shifters so I assume anything higher spec and newer would have it also.
Old 05-26-14, 03:44 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Shimano triggers on my Big Dummy are like that,but it's still way easier to use the thumb levers on my SRAM's.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 05-29-14, 05:47 AM
GaryPitts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The SRAM double tap FBS for Apex is freaking awesome!