Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

randonneur front bag for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 01:15 AM
Frenchosa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

I am thinking of commuting on a classic vintage bicycle and I am thinking of putting a small front rack with a randonneur front bag on top of it. I have never used one. I usually commute with a small 10 inch laptop in a B5 soft pouch, pair of long pants, a polo shirt and small towel. When it gets cold, I also bring a sweater. I do not need to pack a lunch. Do these bags, provide enough room? What is the best waterproof bag? Are they easy to take off and on? Amy brands that you recommend??

I currently use one orlieb role up pannier, in the back of a Surly LHT. If possible I would like to ditch the rack on my next bike.
Old 09-06-13, 06:25 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Personally, I don't like large front bags. They block my view of the front wheel, making it hard to avoid potholes, sticks and other obstacles. They also seem to affect handling. One of my bikes has a Nitto front rack, but I rarely ever use it, for the reasons listed above. It is a convenient place to mount a headlight, however, and the rack is useful in special situations when you need to carry more gear -- such as taking a box to the post office. Have you considered a large seat bag such as the Carradice models? That is what I use 99% of the time for commuting. They carry a lot of gear and have no discernible affect on handling.
Old 09-06-13, 07:12 AM
phillybill

Bikes: paratrooper, bullhead, cdale bad boy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been messing around with this front rack mount. I can strap most bags to it that I use for comutting and I can transfer
it between my bikes.
https://www.velofred.com/klickfix-var...aul-p-586.html
Old 09-06-13, 08:06 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
I haven't tried using a handlebar bag for commuting yet, but I imagine it would work as long as you're not trying to carry too much (or the bike is designed with front loads in mind.)

Could you stash the laptop and maybe the pants at work?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-06-13, 08:08 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5890 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenchosa
Hi,

I am thinking of commuting on a classic vintage bicycle and I am thinking of putting a small front rack with a randonneur front bag on top of it. I have never used one. I usually commute with a small 10 inch laptop in a B5 soft pouch, pair of long pants, a polo shirt and small towel. When it gets cold, I also bring a sweater. I do not need to pack a lunch. Do these bags, provide enough room? What is the best waterproof bag? Are they easy to take off and on? Amy brands that you recommend??

I currently use one orlieb role up pannier, in the back of a Surly LHT. If possible I would like to ditch the rack on my next bike.
Rear racks work really, really well. I like my vintage bikes too but not enough to pick an inferior solution simply because it looks better (OK I'll do this sometimes but not for an everyday commute, .
Old 09-06-13, 08:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Porteur racks are big.. and can be even better mounted if the fork and rack are integrated ..

though I found Paul's Flat bed rack works really well .. above the headset and the fork tip eyelets
are the mounting points.

& being Aluminum , light.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-06-13 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 04:34 PM
Frenchosa

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tarwheel
hey block my view of the front wheel, making it hard to avoid potholes, sticks and other obstacles.
I live in Japan, and the cities which I bike in potholes are not a problem. Are Carradice rear bags big and easy to take on and off?

Rear racks work really, really well. I like my vintage bikes too but not enough to pick an inferior solution simply because it looks better
I am thinking of changing up my Surly LHT with 26 inch wheels, it is nice for touring... but kind of a slug anyplace else. I get passes all the time with people on shopping bikes. Unforetunately, space is tight here in Japan and if I bring my vintage bicycle from the States, a 1974 Raleigh Professional, the Surly LHT will have to go.

Last edited by Frenchosa; 09-06-13 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-06-13, 04:59 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are Carradice rear bags big and easy to take on and off?
I believe they sell quick release models, but the older styles are not easy to take on and off--they use leather straps to attach to the loops on Brooks style saddles. They are quite big though. They come in a variety of sizes.
Old 09-06-13, 08:34 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
For my commute I use a porteur rack and a Wald basket with a cargo net. I have no problems seeing potholes because I look further down the road rather than my wheel. I have used an Ortlieb handlebar bag but the problem with that is it came up higher than my handlebars and I could not put my lights on and have them shine over the top. It was quickly sold. It was a nice bag and I loved the retention system. It was solid.

Since you are in Japan you should check out Watanbe bags. If you are in Tokyo you can go to his shop and see the bags. I have seen his bags and they are a work of art.

I have been to Tokyo and Osaka and most mama-chari's have baskets. There is a reason for this. Baskets are inexpensive and they work. They may not have the wow factor but to me the best bang for you buck.
Old 09-10-13, 07:53 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
https://builtbyswift.com/

ozette rando

get yourself a rack that has a decaleur so it comes on and off nice and easy
Old 09-10-13, 08:09 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Are Carradice rear bags big and easy to take on and off?
Carradice also sells a quick-release bag support rack called the Bagman. It adds to the cost, but keeps the bag from swaying and makes it very easy to install and remove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bagman.jpg (9.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg
BJ-9.jpg (63.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 09-10-13, 03:44 PM
threecarjam

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually have both a Carradice Nelson saddlebag and an Acorn Boxy Rando bag on my commuter. Neither are well-suited if you need to carry a bag around with you at work - I usually don't, and also am able to bring my bike into my office so don't have to worry about taking bags on and off. I love the front rando bag - keeps stuff like cell phones, sunglasses, sweat rags for hot days easily accessible. And it's a cinch to take on and off, just not a bag I like to use to carry stuff around. Sometimes I'll just strap a briefcase on the front rack - and once I do some rehab work on my single speed, that bike will have a front porteur-style rack to facilitate easy carrying of a briefcase or other non-bike specific bag. Carradice saddlebags are wonderful but even with the quick-release options are not sensible bags to carry around with you during the workday.

Standard rando bag designs (like what Acorn and Swift use) aren't totally waterproof - not because of the materials, but because of how the opening is designed. Easy enough to carry your things in a waterproof stuff sack or a plastic bag though.
Old 09-13-13, 12:14 AM
dvald001

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a large Swift Industries rando bag and it holds my 13 inch macbook if I place it in diagonally. It's an expensive bag though, and heavy. I felt that the bag plus laptop affected my steering (I don't have a low trail fork) and ended up going back to using a Zimbale saddlebag.