Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My new $7,000 bike and the futility of justifying the price to the average person.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My new $7,000 bike and the futility of justifying the price to the average person.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-15, 11:29 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
I've spent $7K on a painting, and over $20K on fine wines, as well as over $50K on a sports car and I don't bother rationalizing those purchases to anyone else.
I hate to point out the obvious, but you could have bought a $77,000 bike instead.
Old 02-28-15, 12:47 AM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I hate to point out the obvious, but you could have bought a $77,000 bike instead.
That's true, but I would never have had an Acura NSX. Which, frankly, I liked even more than any bicycle I ever owned. And it's by no means clear to me that ANY bike - no matter how valuable - would have served my needs any better than the Tommasini I already had.

To me: Acura NSX + Tommasini Super Prestige + Wine cellar + Painting >>>>>> BY FAR >>>>>> than any mere bicycle, no matter how valuable.

And BTW, my Acura got stolen 5 years into it, and the insurance paid me $44K. Plus, I have sold 1/2 the wines, and gotten over $20K for them after they appreciated in value. So I've got $65K of the $77K back, and I still have the painting, 1/2 the wines in the cellar, and the Tommasini Bike in any case, and I got to drive an Acura NSX for 5 years.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 02-28-15 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-28-15, 05:53 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
Sometimes you just have to go with what you've got. This might sound strange from someone who is shelling out a lot of money for a top-of-the-line bike but it makes sense to me. I can't stop the aging process and I certainly know that I am not immortal. Back in 1972 when I watched Frank shorter win the Olympic marathon a light bulb lit up in my brain illuminating what had previously just been air. It changed my life. I began running in a pair of department store sneakers and I ran for five years before I saw another runner. People used to stop and ask me if I needed a ride. I can still remember my first pair of running shoes (brooks) the only brand the store had in my size. I ran my first race in 1979, a fourth of July five miler. The race had 75 runners. I finished 9th in 28:14. Funny how these things crystalize in your memory. I went on to become a five minute miler by 1985.

I knew nothing about cycling except that in 1983 I sustained a stress fracture and was told not to run for 8 weeks. I rode a Montgomery Ward bicycle to maintain my weight, cooking the bottom bracket and seizing the headset before throwing it in the trash. It was then that I realized quality was a factor in cycling. The cycling did its job and I went on to several personal records in 1983 and was even the overall winner in two races. I was married and raising a family so I could not afford a good bike in those days. I did some triathlons in the late 80's on a borrowed bike that was about five sizes too big and did well although I almost drowned. I bought a used Peugeot from a friend in 1990 that was only about 3 sizes too big and joined a local cycling club.

I can vividly recall my first group riding experience. It went something like this: "Look moron, when you pull through in a pace line you don't take off so the next guy has to kill himself trying to catch you!" I still had that every-man-for-himself runner's mentality as well as the idiotic belief that runners were superior to cyclists. I eventually made the transition to cycling and got my first good bike in 1991, a Cannondale R800, $1,000, Still have it. Only one size too big. I raced and crashed this bike a lot and realized that just staying in the peloton was huge in cycling.

In 2006 I stopped doing everything. By 2008 I was 20 pounds heavier and feeling my age-61. I bought my Cannodale Six-13 in 2008 with Mavic Kyserium wheels and Dura Ace shifting for about $2,500. I would take the entire winter off, gain ten pounds and then lose it again only to gain it back the next winter. So this year I'm training like an athlete on a Sole LCR recumbent stationary. Don't let anyone tell you recumbent trainers don't work because they do and they are kind to your back and crotch. I also have a Cycelops fluid trainer on my Cannondale R800.

I'm going to be 68 in a few weeks. I cannot stop the clock but I can slow it down. I still work because my wife lost her insurance so we put her on mine until she is old enough to retire. I am highly skilled and make a good living though I would really like to just ride my bike. I bought the new bike because it makes sense to have a good bike now that I plan to ride until it gets dark every day, 50-60 miles and then maybe 70-80 miles on Sunday. This is me. this is what I want to do and I feel good about it. It's definitely worth it.
Old 02-28-15, 08:53 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

That's true, but I would never have had...
Haha Dman, my comment was just a joke. No one would spend $77,000 on a bike... right Ray?
Old 02-28-15, 08:57 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Ray, I'm glad you got your fancy bike and are enjoying it. Thanks for posting your story too! I plan to still be rolling and kicking strong (TKD) when I reach your age... which isn't all that long from now.
Old 02-28-15, 09:56 AM
OntheRun.

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro Carbon Team, Bridgestone MB-3, Mercier Kilo TT, BB17 Karma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I gather you do know what "only one" means. I stand by my OPINION that you had the facts wrong, and that the reference to people leaving the USA over the issue is likewise nonsense.

State facts or state opinions, but know the difference.
Dude pay attention to one of your quotes in your sig. Haha.
Old 02-28-15, 10:03 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by OntheRun.
Dude pay attention to one of your quotes in your sig. Haha.
That's funny. You're okay.
Old 02-28-15, 10:16 AM
OntheRun.

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro Carbon Team, Bridgestone MB-3, Mercier Kilo TT, BB17 Karma

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
Sometimes...
Thanks, thats inspirational. When I (and if I do) become your age I still want to be able to cycle and be active. I cannot stand people who are just over 50 y/o and give up on life not being able to do basic activities because they already feel "old" and act like it.
Old 02-28-15, 11:59 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I'm going to be 68 in a few weeks. I cannot stop the clock but I can slow it down. I still work because my wife lost her insurance so we put her on mine until she is old enough to retire. I am highly skilled and make a good living though I would really like to just ride my bike. I bought the new bike because it makes sense to have a good bike now that I plan to ride until it gets dark every day, 50-60 miles and then maybe 70-80 miles on Sunday. This is me. this is what I want to do and I feel good about it. It's definitely worth it.
Awesome story!

DON'T think of yourself as "old" at 68 though.

A friend's father was still working full-time at 86; and my mother recently turned 90, and seems MUCH livelier and younger than half the late-sixty-somethings I see.....

I'm only 52, but I'm trying to adopt a plan like yours. I've already got a nice bike.....now, this summer, I'm going to try and devote more time to riding it. (I often end up only doing short rides, because I feel guilty staying out too long, when I have a lot to do- but I'm trying not to schedule any big projects for this summer, and to be able to hop on the bike several days a week and do 50 miles at a clip.)
Old 02-28-15, 12:26 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I'm a cycling enthusiast and I can't understand spending $7K on a bike either - at least for someone who's not racing competitively.
A $7000 bike isn't going to make much difference than a $3000 bike in a race. It's mostly about "bling" at that point. And unless someone is on a fully sponsored top UCI team, $7000 bikes are not affordable for racing, especially when you consider crash replacement costs.

Pot smoking: P&R forum.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-28-15, 02:25 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
A $7000 bike isn't going to make much difference than a $3000 bike in a race. It's mostly about "bling" at that point. And unless someone is on a fully sponsored top UCI team, $7000 bikes are not affordable for racing, especially when you consider crash replacement.
Yep, it's all about "bling" and really personal preferences. Bikes, wine, art, and cars are controversial because different people have different preferences and priorities. To some 3 buck Chuck is good and it's a waste spending a couple hundred on a bottle. Owners of new Corvettes think buying an old sports car for what they paid is a waste. Owners of nice bikes might think of their bikes as "art."
Old 03-01-15, 01:00 AM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
I have nothing people who buy $7.000 bikes... Heck, the profit margin and repair cost on them help keep LBS shops alive. But for some people who compete either professionally or amateurs, a high end bike is essential to winning.

What I have a problem with is when these people brag they spend that kind of money, and then turn into bike snobs or bike nazis, where they think they are "better then you".

As long as you realize spending $7,000 makes you no different or special then me and my Walmart bikes, I have no problem.
Old 03-02-15, 10:47 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
What I have a problem with is when these people brag they spend that kind of money, and then turn into bike snobs or bike nazis, where they think they are "better then you".
I've never actually encountered such a person. I do, however, frequently encounter people who are certain my willingness and ability to buy an expensive bike is a sign of some personality flaw, moral weakness, or anatomic insufficiency.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 03-03-15, 06:07 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
People I work with have been asking me how much I paid for my bike as I have recently shown up with a new one. I tell them the truth, about $1,400. They are staggered. They simply cannot imagine a bike costing that much.

It is all a matter of perspective.
Old 03-03-15, 07:14 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
People I work with have been asking me how much I paid for my bike as I have recently shown up with a new one. I tell them the truth, about $1,400. They are staggered. They simply cannot imagine a bike costing that much.

It is all a matter of perspective.
People pay more than that for a single World Series or Super Bowl ticket. A year's cable bill is more than that for most people. How many hours use and enjoyment will you get from your bike?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 03-03-15, 08:40 AM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
People pay more than that for a single World Series or Super Bowl ticket. A year's cable bill is more than that for most people. How many hours use and enjoyment will you get from your bike?
Your comment reflects the fact that most people are unaware of where their money actually goes and that the smaller amounts they spend on things like you cite can easily add up to a significant amount, especially given the fact that it's going to something that's not a "durable good" (i.e. meant to last more than 18 months).
Old 03-08-15, 07:40 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Why discuss this with ANYBODY except your spouse (if any). What you spend on a bike, or any hobby, or what you spend on ANYTHING is nobody's business. (as long as you're not using a stolen credit card). It's nobody's business how much you make, or what you do with it. Ride your bike and play your cards closer to your chest.
I can think of a lot of things that one can spend money on and it is not "anyone's business".
Old 03-08-15, 10:08 AM
Ray9

Luckily, I only told one person at work what I paid for the bike. It's probably a good thing most people have no idea of price differences in bikes because a high level bike is a magnet for thieves. The computer I put on the bike is expensive and the shoes I'm getting are top level triathlon shoes (Mavic). I decided to go with a tri shoe for comfort and ease of use. Even though I'm older I can still crank pretty well so the bike is not wasted just for looks. I may even race it because I gave three months notice at work. Time to retire and chase some wheels.
Old 03-08-15, 10:34 AM
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lopek77
I suggest to read your quoted article with understanding.
North Korea?

I guess a little Mary Jane down on the forced labor camp is cool.
Old 03-08-15, 10:54 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
I can think of a lot of things that one can spend money on and it is not "anyone's business".
Unless one decides to tell acquaintances, strangers and/or anybody/everybody on the Internet the price of his latest expensive purchases. Not surprisingly the reaction is not always positive even when accompanied by efforts at "justifying" the purchase.
Old 03-08-15, 11:58 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
How many hours use and enjoyment will you get from your bike?
Well, it depends on the weather outside. Most people don't want to get their super-duper expensive bikes wet with rain or dirty with road grime. So they end up riding their expensive bikes on rollers and indoor trainers down in their basement in front of a big screen TV, and that's not really getting full enjoyment from their expensive bike. It's a lot better to buy something cheaper and get full enjoyment from your bike by riding outside in all kinds of weather and not worry about it. It's even less enjoyable for somebody on an expensive bike when another person on a cheaper bike can easily keep up or pass them.
Old 03-08-15, 12:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Well, it depends on the weather outside. Most people don't want to get their super-duper expensive bikes wet with rain or dirty with road grime. So they end up riding their expensive bikes on rollers and indoor trainers down in their basement in front of a big screen TV, and that's not really getting full enjoyment from their expensive bike. It's a lot better to buy something cheaper and get full enjoyment from your bike by riding outside in all kinds of weather and not worry about it. It's even less enjoyable for somebody on an expensive bike when another person on a cheaper bike can easily keep up or pass them.
You are discounting the enjoyment somebody might get by telling others how much his ultimate bike/object cost; riding/using it may be secondary to the sublime pleasure of creating envy or puzzlement in the less worldly Walmart shoppers.
Old 03-08-15, 01:18 PM
Ray9

Originally Posted by wolfchild
You're right about not wanting to get it dirty but I would never put it on rollers or even on my fluid trainer. It's a bike to take out on great days with a fine weather report. It's a bike to take to a club ride and stay up with riders 30 or 40 years younger with a long gray ponytail swaying in the breeze as the only evidence that the operator is a Vietnam era citizen playing with kids young enough to be his grandchildren. It's not about beating someone in a race, it's about still being in the race. It's a well crafted piece of machinery and a little more comfortable for the butt with years of rolling and hopefully many more to come.
Old 03-08-15, 01:32 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
You're right about not wanting to get it dirty but I would never put it on rollers or even on my fluid trainer. .
Why not ? Then you will be more fit , to keep up with the youngsters.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-08-15, 03:51 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
You're right about not wanting to get it dirty but I would never put it on rollers or even on my fluid trainer. It's a bike to take out on great days with a fine weather report....It's not about beating someone in a race, it's about still being in the race. It's a well crafted piece of machinery and a little more comfortable for the butt with years of rolling and hopefully many more to come.
Well said; that’s pretty much how I feel about my CF Specialized S-Works, except speed is of a lesser, though welcome advantage. From November until April, my cycling is exclusively commuting and I have a beater mountain bike with studded tires. I last rode the S-Works on January 1.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red. I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting, making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…For years, I rode a steel Bridgestone RB-1, costing about $650 down from about $800 as an end-of-year model when I bought it in the early 1980’s…After the introduction of carbon fiber bikes, I always wondered if the premium prices of CF, which I considered to be about $2000 was worth the presumed enhanced riding experience.

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off.

Now, considering the attitude most non- or occasional cyclists towards bicycles and prices, I’m frankly somewhat embarrassed to admit to paying so much, sounding like some over-the-top conspicuous consumption. Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle, so that puts it in perspective for me.

I’m not that conversant with the technical specifics, nor may anyone asking the price, so the price becomes a common reference to tell what a fine piece of machinery it is. But I would nonetheless admit the price only to a close acquaintance in serious conversation.
Nonetheless, bragging rights are also fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.