Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Helmets: Almost as Personal as Saddles?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 09:57 AM
justinzane

Bikes: Fuji Aloha, ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, being a newb, I started with a big box store generic Bell helmet. And, it sucked! The fit was not awful, but the airflow was so poor that I simply could not wear the thing except in winter. Since I'm nowhere near a retailer that stocks a variety of road helmets to try, I've been done my initial research online. Between reviews and posts here on bikeforums, I got some idea of a few items that might be ideal for me.

Then, this past weekend, my wife and I took a road trip so she could go shopping and I went to REI and an LBS in Medford, OR and got to try one of the highly recommended lids, the Giro Atmos. OMFG! Though it is clearly light, carefully engineered and very well made; it hurt! Perhaps I am phrenologically challenged, but there was no possible adjustment or size that allowed the Giro helmets to rest on my head without a severe pressure point on the forehead.

Then I found an orphan Limar helmet and it fit like wearing nothing at all... Perfect. Of course, it was in a thoroughly disgusting color pattern (to me, the paragon of fashion ) and had no price, UPC, serial or other identifying marks to let me know what exactly to shop for.

But, I digress. The point of my little tail is not the fit of any particular helmet to me; but the question of whether helmet fit is as much of a personal preference and individual biometric alignment issue as something like saddles. Some swear by their vintage Brooks' seats, some love the odd looking ISM Adamo line, some the more classic ProLogos.

What do you all think about the nature of helmet preference? Even within the same discipline -- TT, Road, All Mountain, BMX, Touring, etc. -- and the same basic size -- 56cm, 60cm, whatever -- are helmets generally a personal pick or do most riders find that they could switch lids between brands without much discomfort?
Old 05-13-15, 10:09 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Head shapes are different and different brands fit different head shapes better or worse. Generally speaking, there are those with round heads and those with oval/elongated head shapes, with different brands fitting each better or worse. If you have an elongated head and try a round helmet, you'll get pressure points fore and aft. Round head, elongated helmet and it will press in on the sides. I like POC helmet styles, but in one size, they press in on my skull right above the temples; next size up is too loose.

I don't know which brands/models fit which head shapes better or worse, and I don't know that there's a handy list out there, but there is definitely this fitment difference to consider. Try helmets on in person and buy one that fits where you are trying it on -- do not try one on in a shop and then buy it cheaper online...
Old 05-13-15, 10:14 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Uhm, I could easily switch helmets if I wanted to pay more for one. As it is, I went to a bike shop when I first started riding and asked about helmets. The employee showed me the display, and I picked the cheapest one they had (a Bell, no less!) - it has served me a few years with no problems.

I don't always wear a helmet, and a $40 helmet does the same thing an $140 helmet does. I would rather spend $140 on another Brooks saddle. I'm sure a more expensive helmet would be lighter/have more vents but I cannot complain about the one I have. I usually wear a cycling cap under it, anyway.
Old 05-13-15, 10:28 AM
justinzane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Head shapes are different and different brands fit different head shapes better or worse. Generally speaking, there are those with round heads and those with oval/elongated head shapes, with different brands fitting each better or worse. If you have an elongated head and try a round helmet, you'll get pressure points fore and aft. Round head, elongated helmet and it will press in on the sides.
Being the type of person who looks universally silly in hats of all types -- baseball, bowler, beret, fedora, cowboy, etc. -- I've never thought about skull shape. This article is quite heavy, but gives good information about the overall range of human skull morphology. I can't quickly see their raw data to extract just the reference points relevant to helmet fit; but clearly the data exists. Would love to dig more, but life requires attention focussed elsewhere.
Old 05-13-15, 11:15 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Head shapes are different and different brands fit different head shapes better or worse. Generally speaking, there are those with round heads and those with oval/elongated head shapes, with different brands fitting each better or worse. If you have an elongated head and try a round helmet, you'll get pressure points fore and aft.
Precisely my experience. My head is not round, and that affects which helmets I can easily be comfortable in.

Maybe helmets will someday be sold in sizes like Medium-Round and Medium-Elongated.
Old 05-13-15, 11:18 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
It makes sense that different head shapes will fit different helmets. That said, I am not all that particular and a lot depends on whether I am wearing a hat, or headsweat underneath. I have 4 helmets. The smallest is the Cannondale Teramo, and it feels the best in warm weather. But it is too tight when I try to wear it with a headsweat or hat in cold weather. The Giro Trinity and the Bell Solar fit almost the same and seem to work with or without a headsweat underneath. These are cheap and versatile helmets, both retailing for around $40 but available for less. this is the helmet I would recommend for most people looking for a helmet and not looking to pay a bunch of money. finally, I have an Ascent helmet that, when worn with just a headband fits like a bucket on my head. But it fits perfectly with a headsweat worn underneath.

So, I would say helmets are personal, but maybe not as personal as saddles.
Old 05-13-15, 11:28 AM
PoeCo

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=Maybe helmets will someday be sold in sizes like Medium-Round and Medium-Elongated.[/QUOTE]

Yes! This would be fantastic!!

Personally, my head shape does not work with a few brands of helmets out there. Even within brands I can have trouble from model to model. Then, when I find one that fits properly, I have found that there is usually some small point on the helmet that still pokes at me. The best overall I've found thus far is from Kask - but that's for my head. I have given up trying to buy online and instead have to go around trying them on when it's time for a new one. I just happened to luck out with the Kask (and it was a gift of all things - so that was insane!).
Old 05-13-15, 12:15 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Atmos is infamous for its 'pressure point on forehead'. I've got one, and unless I wear a headband under it, I've got that problem too.
Old 05-13-15, 12:39 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, helmets are like saddles in that comfort depends upon a match between the geometry of the rider and the helmet.

But they are different in that saddles are holding up a significant amount of body weight and your legs are in motion relative to the saddle. Therefore the effects of a good or poor fit are magnified. You will likely notice if your saddle is a little off on a century ride. Helmet not as much.

Also you can easily choose to not wear a helmet. Going without a saddle is possible but not truly practical.
Old 05-13-15, 06:59 PM
justinzane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyCyclist
The Atmos is infamous for its 'pressure point on forehead'. I've got one, and unless I wear a headband under it, I've got that problem too.
Perhaps I'm a comfort junkie, but I could barely handle 30 seconds in the store. I'd hate to have that on my head for a 50+ mile ride.
Old 05-13-15, 07:07 PM
justinzane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
Going without a saddle is possible but not truly practical.
Unless you happen to enjoy having the ER doc pull carbon fibers out of your ass...

I do appreciate the notion that a helmet should not, unless in an accident, be subject to much pressure or motion. The flip side is, though, that humans have evolved sit bones for sitting on things like flat rocks and bare ground. So, the ennervation in the posterior is very different from that around the cranium. Plus it is somewhat easy to slightly alter riding posture to ease saddle discomfort. It seems that the ability to slightly tweak one's helmet while riding is more limited. Perhaps that is just because I've never owned a decent helmet, though?
Old 05-13-15, 07:44 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyCyclist
Interesting. I have an Atmos and it fits like a charm. I tried other brands (such as Bell and Specialized) which just didn't feel right.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-13-15, 08:50 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I decided to try a different helmet this year, something a bit more aerodynamic and different color. My old helmet is an inexpensive Giro 'Transfer'. I plucked a nice Giro TT helmet off eekbay but realized that it is overkill. Ended up with a Mavic Espoir from a seller on Am*zon. Turned out that it is the same color as my previous helmet and even looks nearly identical. Well...except for the cool Mavic logo and the word "ergoride".
Old 05-13-15, 10:39 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justinzane
Unless you happen to enjoy having the ER doc pull carbon fibers out of your ass...

I do appreciate the notion that a helmet should not, unless in an accident, be subject to much pressure or motion. The flip side is, though, that humans have evolved sit bones for sitting on things like flat rocks and bare ground. So, the ennervation in the posterior is very different from that around the cranium. Plus it is somewhat easy to slightly alter riding posture to ease saddle discomfort. It seems that the ability to slightly tweak one's helmet while riding is more limited. Perhaps that is just because I've never owned a decent helmet, though?
While I'm actually riding my bike, I don't notice the helmet at all. All the other sensations are enough to drown out whatever minor discomfort comes from the helmet. However, if my saddle is uncomfortable, there's no not noticing it.
Old 05-14-15, 07:45 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
While I'm actually riding my bike, I don't notice the helmet at all...
That's the goal. The better it fits your particular cranium, the more lightweight, and the better the ventilation, the less you'll notice it.

FWIW: I found significant differences in internal shape/fit between different models in a given brand.
Old 05-14-15, 03:18 PM
justinzane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
Interesting. I have an Atmos and it fits like a charm. I tried other brands (such as Bell and Specialized) which just didn't feel right.
Seems to be another vote for "highly personal fit". Thanks.
Old 05-14-15, 03:25 PM
justinzane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yashinon
I decided to try a different helmet this year, something a bit more aerodynamic and different color. My old helmet is an inexpensive Giro 'Transfer'. I plucked a nice Giro TT helmet off eekbay but realized that it is overkill. Ended up with a Mavic Espoir from a seller on Am*zon. Turned out that it is the same color as my previous helmet and even looks nearly identical. Well...except for the cool Mavic logo and the word "ergoride".
I saw an awesome deal on a Lazer Tardiz, which looked quite spiffy to me. Then I realized that like my avatar, I'm so slow that the irony of wearing a competetion TT helmet would be unbearable! I do agree that Mavic has a certain cachet, elite without being overtly elitist like Zipp.
Old 05-14-15, 03:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I must say that I'm not too picky about helmets...
Toss whatever seems to fit on the old noggin.

Pads seem to vary from helmet to helmet... most of the cheap ones seem to be designed for about 100 miles.
Old 05-14-15, 06:12 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I saw an awesome deal on a Lazer Tardiz, which looked quite spiffy to me. Then I realized that like my avatar, I'm so slow that the irony of wearing a competetion TT helmet would be unbearable! I do agree that Mavic has a certain cachet, elite without being overtly elitist like Zipp.
ha ha - Justinzane ---> I am slow also. This was quite evident when a cyclist riding a nice Litespeed road bike blew my doors off.
Old 05-17-15, 09:40 PM
WDH74

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic, Trek FX 7.3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems that the ability to slightly tweak one's helmet while riding is more limited. Perhaps that is just because I've never owned a decent helmet, though?
Well, you have to stop and take the helmet off, but I've discovered that I can move the pads around inside my helmet if I start getting some discomfort. They're held in with Velcro so its easy to do. Scootch them forwards or back a bit and all's well. I wear a Giro Indicator, for what it's worth.

I keep thinking about getting a Nutcase or a Giro Reverb, just cause I like the looks, but I never pull the trigger.