Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Park your Davidson here!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Park your Davidson here!

Old 04-17-18, 02:28 PM
sunvalleylaw

Bikes: 2016 Kona Process 111, 2004 Merckx Fuga, '89 Fisher Paragon, converted to 700c, 1983 Davidson touring custom

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
I’m not sure if even Davidson would know for sure. At least they didn’t seem to when I wrote to ask about the one I had. I offered a date and they said something like “that’s about right.”
that was about how it was for me too. I had real good clues from the prior owner in terms of dates, and she remembered going to a particular location (out in Kent, before the Pike Place shop, but just barely), so that helped me nail it down in a conversation with Mr. Davidson. He was super nice about it, and was able to tell me something about the bike by how I described how it was built (touring style, bar end shifters only, etc.) but did not have any sort of decimal system to locate a record by number or anything. Definitely an artisan. Each custom is unique. Part of what makes them so cool!
Old 04-17-18, 04:30 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
that was about how it was for me too. I had real good clues from the prior owner in terms of dates, and she remembered going to a particular location (out in Kent, before the Pike Place shop, but just barely), so that helped me nail it down in a conversation with Mr. Davidson. He was super nice about it, and was able to tell me something about the bike by how I described how it was built (touring style, bar end shifters only, etc.) but did not have any sort of decimal system to locate a record by number or anything. Definitely an artisan. Each custom is unique. Part of what makes them so cool!
Exactly. I hope nobody interpreted my post as a dismissive response. They were very nice; I just had the sense that they didn't really keep track exactly. It fits with not using tubing stickers, etc. It is what it is.
Mine rode fantastically. Ultimately I let it go as it could really only handle 25mm tires and that's just not my style these days.
Old 04-18-18, 11:00 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Heres one i saw at Sunday's Eroica CA. I didnt see a rider around to ask about it. Interesting handlebar angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180415_130941.JPG (208.4 KB, 695 views)
Old 04-21-18, 11:38 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
1980's Davidson Impulse - 64cm

Here is my Impulse, picked up a few months ago. Has the usual Dura-Ace suspects that I do enjoy employing (with a Record headset, no less!). Very nice riding bike. Tange Prestige mix (of Davidson's doing). It currently is about to go through a refitting to get that Campy headset some more Italian company, and sits as a frameset.

Old 07-16-18, 08:19 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

I got this on craigslist in Denver this weekend, another white Impulse, 62 cm. The bike has a Cycle Logic, Littleton CO sticker. I got it from the third owner who rebuilt it with Campy Chorus 8 speed, a combination of brifter/thumb shifter. The rear derailleur cylinder with the allen bolt has a crack, not sure if that is a concern, but it shifts fine. I need to replace the seat post - the current seat post is at the max height, and I need to raise it higher. The frame might be a little small for me (6' 4") but is doesn't seem much smaller than my 25 inch bikes so I think it will work with a new seat post. I think it has an original Vetta Turbo saddle that has some scuffs but is in good (currently set all the way back on the seat post, so a new post would help with this too). It has Campy Omega Hardox rims with the V profile, and cheap Michelin Dynamic 25c tires that I also plan to replace. I'd like to get 28c tires, and it looks like there is room, but I see others have said that is difficult to fit anything much larger than 25c. Any advice on the seat post and tire size is appreciated. The rear wheel is currently set to front of the dropout, it seems like I could move it further back into the dropout to get more space between the seat tube and tire.
Likes For GailT:
Old 07-18-18, 03:39 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
So glad to see a Davidson thread! Some really beautiful bikes here. I don't take sexy pictures of my bikes, but here is an action shot, and the frame when I got it a few years ago. It sat in a storage shed from 1990 until it was sold to me by a friend of the man who first bought it, and then passed away before building it. I am the only person who has ever swung a leg over this bike. It has what I consider a "Utilitarian" build.

The only issue is the rear canti mounts are so high that there is only 130mm to the rim. Contacted one of the builders, sent pics and measurements, and all he could say was that mistakes happen. I got one set of Dia comps to work, and it will lock them up.
My only other quibles are the super high water bottle mounts on the down tube, and I wish it had shifter bosses. But it rides so well that I really don't care.

Last edited by shipwreck; 07-18-18 at 03:44 PM.
Likes For shipwreck:
Old 07-21-18, 05:44 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
Glad to see this thread pop up again. I recently picked up a '91 Davidson Impulse on the 'bay.
Components are all Sachs Huret New Success, 8 speed. I was surprised to find the rear wheel had an 8 speed freewheel. Wheelset was a mess, so I ended up upgrading to a Shimano 105/H+Son TB14 wheelset from Velomine (not pictured). Riding on Continental GP 25mm tires. I've never ridden on such narrow tires, but it's all the frame will really allow, given the very narrow fork clearances.

Overall, really fun to ride. Feels fast as hell, and I can manage to keep up with the other roadies riding up Sheridan in Chicago.

Likes For bear_a_bug:
Old 07-30-18, 01:55 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Davidson Impulse - 64cm

This is an update to my original posting here, which includes a now extinct picture. At any rate, I had this Impulse--certainly in "rider" condition, so, pretty good, but with scratches etc--slated to be sold and had it built with a Campy Chorus/Record mix and an FSA compact crankset. A bit of a panda/Stormtrooper build. My initial Dura-Ace build had it a good bike, but it didn't feel all-the-way good. Maybe it wasn't for me? After riding my other Prestige bike (the Prologue), I hopped on my teal '88 Trek 560 and thought, wow, this is harsher than I remember. Then I hopped on the Impulse--23mm wide rims with 23mm Vittoria Rubino tires--nothing special. Wow, this felt pretty good!

I got the idea to swap all the 7800 Dura-Ace from the Trek to the Impulse, but I had to make sure that the Vuelta wheels with Vittoria Open Corsa tires wasn't the cause of the Trek's ride characteristics. They weren't!

So now I have a "White Lightning" Davidson Impulse, and it rides and feels fantastic! It feels tall (as it is, but more so) and regal. Very very solid--like made-from-one-piece solid. Comfortable. Climbing and accelerating is what you want to feel as well. Fast! Steering is perfectly weighted (as I have set things up), quick yet smooth. And with 7800 doing the shifting work, it operates flawlessly.

You ask, why did I not have this experience the first time? The wheels then were good--hand built Dura-Ace to Mavic CXP33. The tires were Continental Grand Prix 24mm. I thought they were my friend, but they were working against me when on the Impulse! The Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX (my favorite) in 25mm form are what's now on it. Lighter, more supple, with much better feel.

Keeper. 1000%

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 08-06-18, 11:28 PM
GailT

Looks very sharp - and nice pictures! I'm waiting on a new seat post, saddle, tires and hope to take a longer ride on my Impulse next weekend.

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
This is an update to my original posting here, which includes a now extinct picture. At any rate, I had this Impulse--certainly in "rider" condition, so, pretty good, but with scratches etc--slated to be sold and had it built with a Campy Chorus/Record mix and an FSA compact crankset. A bit of a panda/Stormtrooper build. My initial Dura-Ace build had it a good bike, but it didn't feel all-the-way good. Maybe it wasn't for me? After riding my other Prestige bike (the Prologue), I hopped on my teal '88 Trek 560 and thought, wow, this is harsher than I remember. Then I hopped on the Impulse--23mm wide rims with 23mm Vittoria Rubino tires--nothing special. Wow, this felt pretty good!

I got the idea to swap all the 7800 Dura-Ace from the Trek to the Impulse, but I had to make sure that the Vuelta wheels with Vittoria Open Corsa tires wasn't the cause of the Trek's ride characteristics. They weren't!

So now I have a "White Lightning" Davidson Impulse, and it rides and feels fantastic! It feels tall (as it is, but more so) and regal. Very very solid--like made-from-one-piece solid. Comfortable. Climbing and accelerating is what you want to feel as well. Fast! Steering is perfectly weighted (as I have set things up), quick yet smooth. And with 7800 doing the shifting work, it operates flawlessly.

You ask, why did I not have this experience the first time? The wheels then were good--hand built Dura-Ace to Mavic CXP33. The tires were Continental Grand Prix 24mm. I thought they were my friend, but they were working against me when on the Impulse! The Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX (my favorite) in 25mm form are what's now on it. Lighter, more supple, with much better feel.

Keeper. 1000%
Old 08-06-18, 11:46 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by GailT
Looks very sharp - and nice pictures! I'm waiting on a new seat post, saddle, tires and hope to take a longer ride on my Impulse next weekend.
Thank you! It has become, essentially, my best bike. It certainly doesn't need anything else to improve it. It is 20 lb 5 oz currently, and it feels fantastic. It's almost as if it's the peak of bikes I have--I will always look around, but this is that 'beginning of the end' sort of thing where I come to the conclusion that things don't get any better, so the need to search is greatly lessened. We shall see, but it's just such a 'complete' feeling bike.
Old 08-07-18, 06:27 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
Glad to see this thread pop up again. I recently picked up a '91 Davidson Impulse on the 'bay.
Components are all Sachs Huret New Success, 8 speed. I was surprised to find the rear wheel had an 8 speed freewheel. Wheelset was a mess, so I ended up upgrading to a Shimano 105/H+Son TB14 wheelset from Velomine (not pictured). Riding on Continental GP 25mm tires. I've never ridden on such narrow tires, but it's all the frame will really allow, given the very narrow fork clearances.

Overall, really fun to ride. Feels fast as hell, and I can manage to keep up with the other roadies riding up Sheridan in Chicago.

That is a very sharp-looking bike. Do you mind if I ask what stem you are using?
Old 08-10-18, 03:58 PM
GailT

Article on Bill Davidson and the Impulse in 1987. They include a drawing of a 62 cm Impulse and some of the frame dimensions.

Last edited by GailT; 08-10-18 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-10-18, 08:44 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
That is a very sharp-looking bike. Do you mind if I ask what stem you are using?
It's a Nitto, about 80mm I believe. Model name is dynamic 9, looks like. Takes a 26.0 clamp. The bars are no name, but I am pretty okay with the shape and width.
Old 08-11-18, 05:02 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
Thought I'd share this here first. I just picked this up locally and haven't touched it yet. The lady actually had a matching set, same size. In rough working shape right now but I grabbed the better looking of the two frames. Both bikes were missing their front wheel. I bet they were somewhere in the garage she picked these up at. Under the grime and such appears to be a nice bike. Nothing fancy but the care taken with the lugs is very evident as well as a nice paint job....originally. Not sure where I'm going with this one. I'll start and individual post on this bike as I sort it out.

Old 11-24-18, 12:06 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts

Was meaning to post this up earlier this week after I completed the build last weekend, but got too busy.
Some of you might recognize this Davidson. I bought the frameset with the crankset and shifters from DD and did my own slightly different interpretation of an early 80's Signature build. Still full Campy SR but less yellow this time with the Brooks Pro and black cloth tape a natural for me on this early 80's Davidson bike. The bike surprised me when it came in, complete with pedals at 19.8 pounds. Got to ride it a bit before the rains started in the bay area and boy does it handle beautifully! It gives my Pinarello Montello and my ALAN Record Carbonio a run for their money, in terms of ride quality and handling but it definitely beats both hands down in terms of overall build quality. Now stuck in the house hoping to ride it again soon. But it's been raining almost three days straight now.

Last edited by Chombi1; 11-24-18 at 12:09 AM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 11-24-18, 07:52 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

And here's mine all finished up. Well, maybe.....it turned out to be such a great ride that I'm considering upgrading to high end modern components.

20 lbs 13 ozs as picture. Black Super Record would really pop on this, wouldn't it? <br/>
Old 11-24-18, 01:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
And here's mine all finished up. Well, maybe.....it turned out to be such a great ride that I'm considering upgrading to high end modern components.

20 lbs 13 ozs as picture. Black Super Record would really pop on this, wouldn't it? <br/>
Sounds like a perfect plan.
Old 01-04-19, 02:42 PM
kevincgove

Bikes: 1988 Davidson Impulse-updated with current components; 2018 Canondale Topstone Sora

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1988 Davidson Impulse

Thanks to GailT for the tip about this thread. The thread has some great examples of Davidson bikes..

I've had my Davidson from day 1. Bought the frame from LBS for 495 (on sale) which I thought was pretty expensive back in the day. Took me about 4 months to save enough money to build it up with DuraAce and Mavic Open4 rims. Put a lot of miles on it. I relegated it to a being my wet weather bike after I bought a Pinarello Opera in 2004. It didn't see much use until a couple years ago when I gave away my Pinarello and had the Davidson stripped down, cold set the chain stays and repainted a pearlized white. Original paint scheme was white with primary color sponge splashes. I'll put up a couple of photos of how it looks now and I'll see if I have any pictures of the original build. It has always weighed around 20lbs +/-. It has a combo of DuraAce/Ultegra/Sram 11speed components and custom set of wheels I got in 2004. It is a terrific bike and if I keep the wheels down, it will be the last road bike I'll own. I might add a set of carbon wheels but that would be the last luxury item to add to it.

This was the article that hooked me. I can't post a link but you can add a www and copy/paste below for a classic article on Bill Davidson from Bicycling magazine.
classicrendezvous.com/images/USA/Bill_Davidson/Bill_Davidson_1987.PDF

Last edited by kevincgove; 01-04-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 09:42 AM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
I've wanted a Davidson for a LONG time, but the print below is as close as I have come so far. I bought this at Davidson's shop, Elliot Bay Cycles, in 1984. This print is signed by the artist, Steve Wellman, and is #177 of 200. I've thought about parting with it at different times, but I keep it.....just in case!

Dean

IMG_3182
Old 01-05-19, 11:19 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean51
I've wanted a Davidson for a LONG time, but the print below is as close as I have come so far. I bought this at Davidson's shop, Elliot Bay Cycles, in 1984. This print is signed by the artist, Steve Wellman, and is #177 of 200. I've thought about parting with it at different times, but I keep it.....just in case!

Dean

IMG_3182
I would try and get Bill to sign it as well.
Old 01-05-19, 11:47 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
I would try and get Bill to sign it as well.
Bob Freeman, too

DD
Old 01-05-19, 02:34 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean51

Dean

IMG_3182
Maybe finding one of those 200 prints could be my next N+1 project??
Old 01-05-19, 07:56 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
Could be a worthy project @Chombi1! I'll offer that I've done some "googling" re Steve Wellman and this print, but I've come up with nothing so far. Along the way, should you stumble into a frame in my size (56 or 57 works), I'd be pleased to hear about it......I've already picked out the bike in my small fleet that I'd sacrifice to make room for a Davidson.

Dean
Old 01-12-19, 09:52 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Been meaning to post this for a while...
Mine is an '83 bought last year. Purchase was brokered by Robert Freeman for the widow of the original owner. Bob did the restoration on the frame including new paint and chrome.
Might originally have been a custom, not sure, but it fits me nicely. Note the braze-ons for a rack on the seat stays and the midpoint mounts on the fork.
Fits 32 Gravel Kings with room to spare (they measure out at 30mm on the Mavic rims); Deore RD could take a larger cog if needed.
I stripped it down to the bare frame and built it up with the components I wanted (and with which am familiar), including better brakes for those Eroica downhills.

Last edited by rccardr; 01-12-19 at 09:18 PM.
Likes For rccardr:
Old 01-12-19, 10:05 AM
jamesdak 

^ That is soooooooooooooo beautiful!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.