Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 07-07-19, 10:05 AM
rodgeman

Bikes: 2019 Salsa TimberJack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I have a 2012 Specialized Sirrus I got in last December from a local bike shop. Since then I have switched the straight bars to Velo Orange Crazy bars and just put on some new Kenda Kross Pro 700c x 40mm. They ride slower than the 700c x 32mm road tires I had but ride faster on the hard trail which is 1/2 of my exercise ride.

I am looking at converting it to drop/gravel bars and upgrading the components. I am thinking of the Specialized Hover Expert Alloy bar or the Ritchey Comp Venturemax. And am looking at an older groupset in the next few months. Anyone who has done this I would love to hear from. I just thought I would share. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-07-19, 07:17 PM
rodgeman

Bikes: 2019 Salsa TimberJack

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaMTB
New member here! I've got a Sirrus SL coming in soon. What are the largest off road tires I can put on the bike?

I just put 40mm on my 2012. The bike shop should be able to tell you.
Old 07-07-19, 07:19 PM
TampaMTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rodgeman
I just put 40mm on my 2012. The bike shop should be able to tell you.
Decided to buy a mountain bike...better fit for the trails and keep the Sirrus on the road.
Likes For TampaMTB:
Old 07-11-19, 01:56 PM
GravelGurty

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
I picked up a set of the Stix Elite front/rear lights for my night time Sirrus excursions. I don't need or want a big torch up front, these seem like a nice package and compact enough. Hopefully they will last for awhile.
Old 07-14-19, 09:02 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelGurty
I picked up a set of the Stix Elite front/rear lights for my night time Sirrus excursions. I don't need or want a big torch up front, these seem like a nice package and compact enough. Hopefully they will last for awhile.
I have those on my Sirrus, I particularly like the SWAT mount for the rear that goes under the seat.

I spent 5-6 hours today going through my Sirrus completely and making sure everything was set and adjusted exactly how I want it (don't know if I ever really combed through it before), and making sure everything was tightened correctly. I then cleaned/lubed the chain and cleaned the bike.

3 years in, it still looks brand new and I still love it as much as the day I got it.
Old 07-15-19, 09:28 PM
puma1552

Last edited by puma1552; 07-15-19 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 09:31 PM
puma1552

I noticed one weird thing with my Sirrus; the bars aren't centered left/right side with respect to the stem centerline. From the center of the stem, the left side is 7mm longer than the right side. Yet, looking at the bar, it is exactly centered based on the printing on the bar (which I acknowledge could be off, but 7mm? No way). See picture below. I took the grips off to confirm I didn't just have a poorly seated grip, and nope. The bars are definitely such that one side is longer than the other with respect to the stem centerline, assuming the logo is printed where it should be on the bars.

You can see that the S is dead center in the little "window" of the stem. There is a little bit of a shadow in the pic, but that "window" is 3/4" wide and the S is absolutely dead center in that window (verified via measurement), as I would expect it to be. However, as long as the bar is set in the stem in that location, the left handlebar measures 7mm longer than the right handlebar. I've measured it 30 different times, 15 different ways, and every time, no matter what, the left bar is 7mm longer than the right bar, so long as the bar and stem meet as shown in the picture (which is of course, how they are intended to meet, hence the "window" to show the Specialized logo. Bizarre, really.

Last edited by puma1552; 07-15-19 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 11:17 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
It may be the optics in the photo but the "S" in the photo does not look dead center to me. It may also be that the print on the bar is a little off center. In any case moving the bar 3mm to right will take care of it.
Old 07-16-19, 12:35 PM
Mrarf
Average commuter joe

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc 2016

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! Almost 1 year with my Sirrus (Sport 2016 - I think it was the last year before the carbon forks). Love it for commuting and random longer rides. Sometimes I think about getting wider handlebars, but not sure. Any of you experimented with different handlebars on the Sirrus?
Sirrus Sport Disc 2016
Old 07-16-19, 04:04 PM
puma1552

Originally Posted by slowpacer
It may be the optics in the photo but the "S" in the photo does not look dead center to me. It may also be that the print on the bar is a little off center. In any case moving the bar 3mm to right will take care of it.
Yeah it's just the photo - it's definitely dead center in real life.

Seems odd the printing would be off that much, but oh well. I'll stick with it where it is, since having that logo be centered is a lot more visually noticeable than the fact one side is a few mm longer than the other.
Old 07-16-19, 08:57 PM
DSJ13

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How tall are y'all and what size sirrus do you you ride?
Old 07-16-19, 09:26 PM
puma1552

Originally Posted by DSJ13
5'5" and I ride a small. Standover is a tad iffy but it's fine on the bike, and I could come off it in a hurry without leaning the bike if I need to (though I naturally always lean the bike, even in a quick emergency).
Old 07-17-19, 10:07 AM
Mrarf
Average commuter joe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 179cm riding a M frame. Could go L, but M is 100% fine.
Old 07-17-19, 10:38 AM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrarf
I'm 179cm riding a M frame. Could go L, but M is 100% fine.
Do you have the factory stem or a longer one? Feel cramped at all?
Old 07-17-19, 10:47 AM
Mrarf
Average commuter joe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have the factory stem or a longer one? Feel cramped at all?
Yes, factory stem. I don't feel cramped at all, but sometimes wonder how a L would feel. Before getting it I did a test ride on a carbon sirrus, but it was XL so it felt very big. Can you test ride a M and L size?
Old 07-18-19, 05:28 PM
GravelGurty

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
5'9" ish on a large. fits great with stock 90mm stem
Old 07-19-19, 06:11 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
173cms (5'8); long legs/arms, short torso. Medium Sirrus (X Comp) with stock stem > perfect fit. Slightly better than my '10 Sirrus Comp; mainly the slightly longer frame reach of the '19.
Old 07-21-19, 08:25 PM
bmonnig

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek 7500, Koni Blast!, Kent DualDrive, InStep trailer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got an old 2006/2007 Sirrus. It's had very little use, and I'd like to use it for some recreational family rides (now that we have kids old enough to ride). However, I'd like to replace the 700x28c tires with something a bit more gravel-friendly. We won't be riding gravel roads per se, but we now live in a more rural area with a gravel driveway, dirtier roads, etc. The bike is currently wearing the OEM Alexrims AT400 rims. It has some bolt-on accessories (racks, etc) but the driveline is bone stock.

Any suggestions on tires that would work well on this existing OEM setup?
Old 07-24-19, 08:46 PM
Bvldari

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

What a great thread. Thank you all for sharing. This is my first post and looking for advice. I need to get a bike. I have not ridden in a long time but last time I was in it I spent a lot of time on a road bike. The reason I am back into biking is because my kids just learned how to ride and are now on 20” bikes and I can no longer run after them anymore. This, and I do like riding. 😊

My wife bought a Roll and I found it so comfortable that I also bought the Elite “male” version. I really enjoyed it for a few days until I rode it to work a couple of times and realized that the geometry is way too relaxed for how I like to ride (when not with kids). I since returned it and am trying to find a better fit.

I (mostly) narrowed it down to the Sirrus and FX4/5. I was leaning toward the Sirrus since it seems a bit more comfortable and stable while the FX seems a bit more “racy”. I was pretty much going to choose between the Sirrus Elite aluminum or carbon but my bike shop is pushing the X. I initially wrote it off because I disliked the handlebars and am worried about the relatively limited top end gearing. But after thinking about the type of riding I will be doing I am now thinking the 38mm tires may be a great idea and dealer offered to replace handlebars so that would be simple.

But since I started considering the X I am now wondering if I should seriously consider a “gravel bike”. It gets me in a more comfortable riding position but allows me to go fast on the road (and off). The Diverge in particular looks great. But pricing for the Diverge apples to apples looks quite a bit more.

My intended use of the bike is as follows:
- ride with my kids “slowly” but comfortably – will include side walk, jumping curbs and other silly things.
- short (5 mile round trip) but fast occasional commute to work;
- Occasional trails.

Finally, overall I am unsure if I should do an aluminum or carbon frame. I am pretty sure I at least want a carbon fork. On one hand carbon is super nice, on the other hand (especially) since a hybrid bike is a compromise spending a lot of money on an inherently compromised bike seems silly?

Any and all advice is welcome especially as respects the X vs regular Sirrus. Thank you.
Old 07-24-19, 09:52 PM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bvldari
What a great thread. Thank you all for sharing. This is my first post and looking for advice. I need to get a bike. I have not ridden in a long time but last time I was in it I spent a lot of time on a road bike. The reason I am back into biking is because my kids just learned how to ride and are now on 20” bikes and I can no longer run after them anymore. This, and I do like riding. 😊

My wife bought a Roll and I found it so comfortable that I also bought the Elite “male” version. I really enjoyed it for a few days until I rode it to work a couple of times and realized that the geometry is way too relaxed for how I like to ride (when not with kids). I since returned it and am trying to find a better fit.

I (mostly) narrowed it down to the Sirrus and FX4/5. I was leaning toward the Sirrus since it seems a bit more comfortable and stable while the FX seems a bit more “racy”. I was pretty much going to choose between the Sirrus Elite aluminum or carbon but my bike shop is pushing the X. I initially wrote it off because I disliked the handlebars and am worried about the relatively limited top end gearing. But after thinking about the type of riding I will be doing I am now thinking the 38mm tires may be a great idea and dealer offered to replace handlebars so that would be simple.

But since I started considering the X I am now wondering if I should seriously consider a “gravel bike”. It gets me in a more comfortable riding position but allows me to go fast on the road (and off). The Diverge in particular looks great. But pricing for the Diverge apples to apples looks quite a bit more.

My intended use of the bike is as follows:
- ride with my kids “slowly” but comfortably – will include side walk, jumping curbs and other silly things.
- short (5 mile round trip) but fast occasional commute to work;
- Occasional trails.

Finally, overall I am unsure if I should do an aluminum or carbon frame. I am pretty sure I at least want a carbon fork. On one hand carbon is super nice, on the other hand (especially) since a hybrid bike is a compromise spending a lot of money on an inherently compromised bike seems silly?

Any and all advice is welcome especially as respects the X vs regular Sirrus. Thank you.
I would have kept the Roll for the kids and gotten something else for the commute.

Thats what I did. Wife has an Electra and I have a Roll for putting around the neighborhood, and we each have Hybrids if we want to ride longer or do trails or whatever.
Old 07-25-19, 06:06 AM
puma1552

Originally Posted by Bvldari
The Elite aluminum is the sweet spot in the Sirrus lineup I feel, and I absolutely love mine.
Old 07-25-19, 02:57 PM
Bvldari

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have kept the Roll for the kids and gotten something else for the commute.

Thats what I did. Wife has an Electra and I have a Roll for putting around the neighborhood, and we each have Hybrids if we want to ride longer or do trails or whatever.
Nice. I did think about that but at the moment would rather try and stick to one bike and then maybe get a second more "focused" tool.

Originally Posted by puma1552
The Elite aluminum is the sweet spot in the Sirrus lineup I feel, and I absolutely love mine.
Thanks. I guess I was leaning toward the carbon because it's "only" an extra $200 for what appears otherwise identical spec.
Old 07-26-19, 12:02 PM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
What is the typical or average recommended tire pressure for a Women’s Sirrus Expert Carbon?

My wife weighs 125 to 129 pounds I would guess. The online calculators seem a bit high.

Front 700x30mm and rear 700x30mm

Thanks
Old 07-26-19, 07:30 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Midway
What is the typical or average recommended tire pressure for a Women’s Sirrus Expert Carbon?

My wife weighs 125 to 129 pounds I would guess. The online calculators seem a bit high.

Front 700x30mm and rear 700x30mm

Thanks
30s? Try 50f/60r, and she could probably drop 5 or so from that. I'm around 170 (yes, I'm fat; should be @150), riding 32s @ 55f/65r. Never a problem at all with pinch flats the past four years. Anything higher just roughens the ride for absolutely no decrease in r/r.
Old 07-27-19, 09:54 AM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
30s? Try 50f/60r, and she could probably drop 5 or so from that. I'm around 170 (yes, I'm fat; should be @150), riding 32s @ 55f/65r. Never a problem at all with pinch flats the past four years. Anything higher just roughens the ride for absolutely no decrease in r/r.
Thanks, that's good validation and within a few pounds of what I set her up with for a ride yesterday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.