Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Passed By E-Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 10:38 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
An e-bike with pedal assist affords the opportunity to do all the work you want. Up to and including more work than when the assist isn’t kicked in. You can still ride at your FTP. You’ll just be going faster.
Having never tried one, I have pondered this very thing: don't they weigh a ton? I guess you could use that as a workout component!
Old 06-17-20, 11:27 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Having never tried one, I have pondered this very thing: don't they weigh a ton? I guess you could use that as a workout component!
Yeah, they definitely weigh more, though I expect that will be a continuing area of improvement.

On the road, I'd think you could get a very good workout. There are several YouTube videos that clearly show you can still put in a good amount of work on an e-bike. For people who normally ride on a MUP, I can see that you may not really be able to go much faster (or shouldn't) as a safety issue. But on the road, especially hilly areas, I think they'd be a blast.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-17-20, 12:05 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
think they are great for slower cyclists...that way they won't noodle up a hill going 4mph creating traffic pandemonium behind them.
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 06-17-20, 12:10 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I was riding my local MUP about 3 weeks ago, on a section that has about a 1% upgrade and somewhat rocky and rutted but if you know what your doing there is a line that is smooth. I'm riding my hybrid at a reasonable speed about 14 MPH when I get passed by two elderly couples, each on an ebike. The ladies in particular looked a bit uncomfortable on the bikes and they were going too fast for the conditions but hey they are adults.

At this point on the trail there is a road crossing so you have to stop and when they stopped one of the ladies went down like a sack of horse feed. My thinking is that you get a sense that it is a bicycle and there isn't any such thing as too fast or that it is light enough that when you stop you will have no issues keeping the bike in the upright position but that isn''t always the case.

So I view the whole ebike thing as some machines go faster than they should and I would not be surprised if we start seeing a lot more accidents involving these things. The MUPS around here have said ebikes are fine to use but I see some regulation in the future. Between accidents and complaints and the fact that there is always someone that will modify their machine to get more speed I think will eventually see use laws or rules coming down the pike.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 06-17-20, 12:36 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I pass a guy on a very nice electric mountain bike from time to time, always from the opposite direction. But I had an e-bike pass me traveling in the same direction for the first time today. And it was on...wait for it...a multi use trail!

The rider kept a respectful distance between us and passed only slightly faster than I was riding. The world did not come to an end as I was led here on BF to believe it would. I felt no angst. This was right at the bottom of a fairly short uphill section that I don't really enjoy climbing. I'll admit to feeling just a little bit of envy as I watched the e-bike rider switchback up the hill and disappear over the top without moving his legs. I'd prefer to pedal but the idea of having an extra 50% power output would be really fun.

I'll be in the market for a grand baby trailer soon...a little extra umpf would be nice for towing. I find myself on the interwebs looking at electric road bikes from time to time. I'm pretty sure one will follow me home from the bike store one day.
You've been wronged my friend, you just don't know it. Get a lawyer and sue All kidding aside, the only reason I don't have an E-road bike right now is I want the development of the next three years and the price reduction that's sure to come.
Old 06-17-20, 01:24 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by nomadmax
You've been wronged my friend, you just don't know it. Get a lawyer and sue All kidding aside, the only reason I don't have an E-road bike right now is I want the development of the next three years and the price reduction that's sure to come.
Yep, the batteries should get better over the next couple of years, the frames should get more normal looking and the software that controls the assist will certainly get better. Prices should drop too.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-17-20, 01:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Of course I can always find exceptions to the rule, but I'd wager a bet that the overwhelming majority of folks using them are doing so because they aren't fit enough one way or another to do what they are doing. Many of the MTB trails by me ban ebikes, which I am fine with in a way I wouldn't be on MUPs and such. While MUPs are used for a wide variety of purposes, MTB trails exist for one reason, and your comment about making them easier kinda runs contrary to that purpose. They exist to be a physical exercise.

Touring? Go for it. Couldn't care less.
We noticed a few eMTBs in Burton Creek SP (north shore of Lake Tahoe). People were still pedaling and it wasn't like they were tearing up the trail, so we sort of shrugged about it. We were on CX bikes ourselves, so it's not like we can be judgy about riding the "wrong bike."
Old 06-17-20, 04:26 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Y...But on the road, especially hilly areas, I think they'd be a blast.
Well, all I know is there aren't too many things as exhilarating as gunning it up a steep hill on a motorcycle. So, I think I'd probably dig it....
Likes For pbass:
Old 06-17-20, 05:37 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
my body is wonky and it only lets me eat protein. I had so little energy for so long. when I finally got on my e bike all I could do is spin with no real effort took about 3 months before I could start working and that slowly got better once I can keep 22 or so mph with little effort I drop the assist level. my wife on our e tandem has a long ways to go but the e bike makes it easier for her to go longer without me carrying her I love to ride now more then I ever did on an acoustic bike.
Is it an acoustic bike, or an analog bike?
Old 06-17-20, 06:14 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
[QUOTE=Thomas15;21539127
At this point on the trail there is a road crossing so you have to stop and when they stopped one of the ladies went down like a sack of horse feed. My thinking is that you get a sense that it is a bicycle and there isn't any such thing as too fast or that it is light enough that when you stop you will have no issues keeping the bike in the upright position but that isn''t always the case.
/QUOTE]

A couple of years ago, we're riding ebikes on a really busy bike path. I signalled my wife to pull over, and we did on a little fork that went into a parking lot, It was getting too crowded, so I wanted to go the other way.

Suddenly a gal pulls alongside and falls over, knocking me down. I thought I left part of my bike jutting out and she had clipped it, but she started apologizing first. She had pulled over too, to await her friends, but forgot she was clipped in.

So it's not just the seniors that forgot how to ride.
Old 06-17-20, 07:52 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
A number of my friends with e-bikes are on their second e-bike. The trends are that the newer ones are more fully integrated, with mid drive and batteries built into the frame. They tell me that the controls are a lot better too. And they keep getting bigger, with much wider tires. A number of models now have smaller diameter but much fatter tires.

Since bikes are a small part of the battery market, nobody is developing batteries for bikes. The bike industry probably benefits from the development of cells for cars and possibly computers, but those technologies are already fairly mature. Cars use large numbers of small cells. As with disposable batteries, the industry will probably settle on a small number of cell sizes.

Mechanisms and controls will probably evolve like conventional bike components, where one or two manufacturers produce the innards for everybody.
Old 06-17-20, 08:49 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
unless you get a higher end road bike they are around 55 pounds unless you buy a internet one there 65 or so. mine is 52 and my tandem is 62. road bikes can get to around 30pounds or a bit less in the 6000 range.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 06-17-20, 08:52 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
A number of my friends with e-bikes are on their second e-bike. The trends are that the newer ones are more fully integrated, with mid drive and batteries built into the frame. They tell me that the controls are a lot better too. And they keep getting bigger, with much wider tires. A number of models now have smaller diameter but much fatter tires.

Since bikes are a small part of the battery market, nobody is developing batteries for bikes. The bike industry probably benefits from the development of cells for cars and possibly computers, but those technologies are already fairly mature. Cars use large numbers of small cells. As with disposable batteries, the industry will probably settle on a small number of cell sizes.

Mechanisms and controls will probably evolve like conventional bike components, where one or two manufacturers produce the innards for everybody.
the fat tire bikes tend to be the cheap ones bought over the internet. upright so they fit everyone with a hub motor. myself my battery is only partly integrated as it cost less and is easier to remove and it fits my tandem bike too. but the better bikes use cells used in cars now. well most do but lower quality cells. e bikes for the most part only use one size of cell the number of them is what's different.
Old 06-17-20, 08:54 PM
Pkayser

Bikes: Specialized Vado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
My electric assist bicycle allows me to commute 5 days a week and tackle San Francisco hills without getting a workout unless I want one. I routinely travel to multiple meetings throughout the day within the city and before the e-bike those trips would have been done with Uber.
Likes For Pkayser:
Old 06-17-20, 08:55 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Pkayser
My electric assist bicycle allows me to commute 5 days a week and tackle San Francisco hills without getting a workout unless I want one. I routinely travel to multiple meetings throughout the day within the city and before the e-bike those trips would have been done with Uber.
I can get 35 to 40 miles a day right now but I work at it so I can get exercise 20 to 25 miles commute then 15 or so miles on the tandem with my wife. this is how many miles I have ridden since Sunday and my commute home.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 06-17-20 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 06:00 AM
cabledawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
unless you get a higher end road bike they are around 55 pounds unless you buy a internet one there 65 or so. mine is 52 and my tandem is 62. road bikes can get to around 30pounds or a bit less in the 6000 range.
My bike, before tools, water and whatever else I'm carrying, can weigh in at 110lbs. That's my longtail cargo bike with e-assist, the Wideloaders and the Sidecar. It's rideable without the motor running, but I can feel every pound!
Old 06-18-20, 02:48 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by cabledawg
My bike, before tools, water and whatever else I'm carrying, can weigh in at 110lbs. That's my longtail cargo bike with e-assist, the Wideloaders and the Sidecar. It's rideable without the motor running, but I can feel every pound!
years ago I used to pull a trailer can could way 250 pounds on my recumbent.
Old 06-18-20, 04:29 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I pass a guy on a very nice electric mountain bike from time to time, always from the opposite direction. But I had an e-bike pass me traveling in the same direction for the first time today. And it was on...wait for it...a multi use trail!

The rider kept a respectful distance between us and passed only slightly faster than I was riding. The world did not come to an end as I was led here on BF to believe it would. I felt no angst. This was right at the bottom of a fairly short uphill section that I don't really enjoy climbing. I'll admit to feeling just a little bit of envy as I watched the e-bike rider switchback up the hill and disappear over the top without moving his legs. I'd prefer to pedal but the idea of having an extra 50% power output would be really fun.

I'll be in the market for a grand baby trailer soon...a little extra umpf would be nice for towing. I find myself on the interwebs looking at electric road bikes from time to time. I'm pretty sure one will follow me home from the bike store one day.
Your opinion lost all credibility once you referenced that you were riding on a MUP.
Old 06-19-20, 08:18 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Your opinion lost all credibility once you referenced that you were riding on a MUP.
It's okay, I got approval from the interwebs before posting.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-19-20, 08:48 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I think it is difficult to make predictions on where the e-bike is going as far as popularity is concerned. On the one hand way back in the late 1970s those who had mopeds in their minds had a superior bicycle to us with traditional pedal power. But mopeds didn't really last that long as a consumer item. It's not a motorcycle or a scooter, it's a bicycle with supplemental power. If you want a motorcycle, you buy a motorcycle.

I think though that e-bikes are different because they are much more reliable and robust. In my mind the comparison isn't between e-bikes of today and mopeds of the 1970s but rather between recreational downhill skiers and snow boarders. Back in the 1980s when we started sharing the ski lifts with snowboarders, traditional alpine skiers were not happy but today the snowboarders are here to stay.

Still, I think that much of what is driving e-bike popularity is basic marketing. Physically unable to ride a traditional bicycle? No problem, mount an electric motor driven bicycle and enjoy the great outdoors anyway. Have a long commute to work with a big hill? An e-bike will make it possible to get to work without a pre-work workout.

E-bikes will no doubt get lighter and run longer on a charge and prolly we will see a price war among suppliers. But with that will come more complex electro-mechanical designs and of course lawsuits and government regulations. So while the cost of the bike will probably drop, the cost of ownership will probably go up.

Even with traditional leg powered bicycles the technology and manufacturer liability has raised the price of a basic model to almost absurd levels. Those of us that live our lives with the bicycle constantly on our minds for the most part don't want to rely on our local shop to keep our bikes running smoothly. This results in our obtaining some mechanical knowledge, a collection of tools and bins full of spare parts. Are the main consumers of e-bikes willing to make that kind of commitment to keep their machines running? I think not so bike shops will bear the brunt of keeping these bikes roadworthy. This costs money.

Once our traditional bicycles make it to their 10th birthday, finding parts or upgrades that will fit the frame becomes a full time job. The same will happen to e-bikes. There is little reason to doubt that they will become a throw-a-way consumer item.The fact is that their main appeal demographic are those with time, cash on hand and a desire to see the sights from two wheels. The question then becomes a matter of continued market sustainability. There are simply not enough bodies that commute to work or the grocery store that require an e-bike to maintain an interest in keeping an affordable product line rolling off the assembly line.

Here in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania the D&L Heritage Corridor LLC is trying to use the prospect of workers commuting to their place of employment using the rational that it is good for fitness, eases traffic congestion and improves air quality. The backbone of this arguement is help fund improvements to complete the D&L Trail and use it to get to work. A critical look at this strategy reveals several flaws that cannot be overcome in multiple lifetimes, for instance if access to the trail means riding a bicycle through a dangerous neighborhood or a snow and ice covered landscape forces one to ditch the bike for 4 months out of the year, all the trail in the world will not produce the desired effect of getting more workers on bicycles.

Having said all that it is a good marketing strategy as for many the end justifies the means and if the means is to create a feel good atmosphere however impractical it might be, then go ahead and pressure those with money to fund trail improvements galore. As a user of said D&L Trail I will say to anyone who will listen, it's nice as a recreational opportunity but it costs too much money and will never in 10 lifetimes be complete, have the gaps closed, some of which are dangerous to work around today. Only a lunatic would take their family with young kids on a full unsupported beginning to end tour of this trail.

But getting back to the e-bike, I thinks it's too early to tell if they will last as a consumer item but my gut tells me no.

Last edited by Thomas15; 06-19-20 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-19-20, 09:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
At nearly 82, most everyone passes me. So I would not have thot anything about being passed by an e-bike. As someone else posted, if you get all up tight about someone on an e-bike passing you,-----------------------you need to idle back and get a life. Remember this fact, there is one person in the world that is faster than all the rest of us!!!!
Old 06-19-20, 10:34 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
E-bikes have a motor. I know, some of them still require pedalling. But resenting being passed by someone on an e-bike is like resenting someone with a manual winch can lift more weight than you with your bare hands.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 06-20-20, 03:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I use Komoot to track my speed and miles. Recently, when it uploads the ride info, it started popping up a box asking "completed on an ebike?". Maybe it's my white hair that makes me find the question insulting.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-20-20, 07:46 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
I passed 3 ebikes on the mup yesterday, motorless roadbikes are faster
Old 06-20-20, 10:13 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
I passed 3 ebikes on the mup yesterday, motorless roadbikes are faster
Cool story, bro.
Likes For MattTheHat:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.