Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek FX 2 disc vs Giant Escape 2 disc

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-20, 10:21 PM
Texy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been searching for a bike and i have came up with these 2 options and i cant for the life of me find out which is a better buy. The trek fx 2 disc is around 50$ more expensive than the giant escape 2 disc but i don't know if its worth the extra money, I am open to other suggestions but i am on a budget so the fx 2 is about around my price limit. I want a bike that i can take far and not have to worry about reliability issues, i also want the bike to be fast, sturdy and comfortable. Please help me
Old 07-16-20, 10:36 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Anyway you could ride them and see which one is a better fit? Maybe go with the one that has best local service. Also I have a giant bike and have been happy with it. Maybe get the giant and put the extra money toward future upgrades. They are pretty similar bikes I'd say fit would be the most important factor.
Likes For Chris!:
Old 07-16-20, 10:42 PM
Texy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris!
Anyway you could ride them and see which one is a better fit? Maybe go with the one that has best local service. Also I have a giant bike and have been happy with it. Maybe get the giant and put the extra money toward future upgrades. They are pretty similar bikes I'd say fit would be the most important factor.
Thanks for the advice I'm just trying to make sure there is no difference that makes one bike a noticeably better buy.
Likes For Texy:
Old 07-16-20, 11:33 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
These are two very similar bikes from brands looking to compete in the same market. I would go with whichever one has the better LBS service.
Likes For yamsyamsyams:
Old 07-18-20, 08:04 PM
TampaBayBoater

Bikes: Trek: 7200 > 7.2 FX > FX 4 Sport

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Agree with both replies above, is one more comfortable, look better to you... is one bike shop closer or more responsive, etc.

I've had Trek's for a long time as my first decent bike was a Trek, I loved it and had great service at my local Trek store (cant fix what aint broke). My oldest son rides Giant and youngest daughter Liv (Giant for ladies) and they both are very satisfied with their bikes and our local Giant shop.

Both are solid bikes/brands so I wouldn't think you could go wrong with eother.
Old 07-19-20, 11:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Do you have a bike shop selling & servicing Both? or 2 separate shops in your town? which shop do you like best, in that case..

Giant really is a Huge Company ... They got that way by building bikes for many other brand companies,
that are importing & distributing them.. and Trek happens to be one of them...

So difference is contract details and what the product manager specifies.. parts pick, and so forth..

Old 07-19-20, 12:42 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Do you have a bike shop selling & servicing Both? or 2 separate shops in your town? which shop do you like best, in that case..

Giant really is a Huge Company ... They got that way by building bikes for many other brand companies,
that are importing & distributing them.. and Trek happens to be one of them...

So difference is contract details and what the product manager specifies.. parts pick, and so forth..

I Wondered about that. I have seen a list of bike brands that Giant supplies, and was shocked. And yes Trek was on it. I can't seem to find it now. I have noticed some bikes from different brands that appear to have the exact same frame as the Giant version down to the smallest detail.

I have a 2018 Giant Sedona and love this bike. Both the design and build quality are spot on. If I where to buy another bike, I would put Giant at the top of my list if it meet my requirements. I really like their Escape too.

That said, With today's market I think you'll be lucky to find a bike close to what you want in your size. There are some other reputable brands like Giant and Trek that you might consider if Giant doesn't have one you want.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 07-19-20 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-19-20, 01:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Local shop has been a Trek dealer since it opened, a couple years ago a Rep of the Distributor dropped by about opening a Giant Account..

It did seem a bit redundant..