Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire Swapping limit ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire Swapping limit ?

Old 09-24-20, 06:35 PM
roth rothar

Bikes: Raleigh Technium, Cannodale SR600,Trek 520, Specialized Rock Hopper, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Tire Swapping limit ?

I want to swap my mountain bike tyres from a slick tire to a knobbly version, but i will probably want to switch back again. Can I swap clincher tires many times? say for example once per month. I am too thrifty to buy another set of wheels.
Old 09-24-20, 07:05 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Yes, as long as you don't damage the tire. It may get messy if you run tubeless.
Likes For katsup:
Old 09-25-20, 06:49 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
roth rothar I commute in Colorado where goathead thorns are prevalent. Before getting tire liners I was patching flats about once a week (now it's about once a year...if that) That's a lot of on/off and the tires, always inexpensive ones, didn't suffer. This was true for my 26-incher and then my 700C bike.

For the last five years I have mounted, unmounted and remounted snow tires on my 26-incher for snow season in the spring and fall with no problems.

However, I just bought a set of used rims at the bike co-op this summer...$40 for the pair. With some practice and adjusting the wheel-swap now takes just under 5 minutes including the brake adjustment, instead of the 30-45 minutes to swap tires.

If you can find cheap wheels in your budget, it may be worth it, provided the wheels are in decent shape and compatable with your derailier and chain.
Old 09-25-20, 07:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
If I find myself swapping tires more than a few times a year, that leads to a second wheel-set, and a second wheel-set always grows into a new bike.

But as far as the tires go... no problems if you want to change them each month. Or several times a month, for that matter

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-25-20 at 07:50 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-25-20, 10:59 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
This is a good question. The answer is, whatever you are willing to do. With practice you can change tires without using any tools other than your fingers (find youtube videos to show you how.) Not using tools will mean you don't accidentally damage anything when you perform swaps, and so you can swap indefinitely or as long as your fingers hold out. Tubes might be better for this than using a tubeless setup, because every time you change tubeless tires you should add sealant, which adds up after a while. Be sure the tubes you're using match the tires you're using.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 09-25-20, 11:49 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You could do it every day if you had the patience.
Old 09-25-20, 06:17 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
It’s easier to swap tires and tubes as a set. The partially inflated tubes makes the swap faster. A bike stand to keep the bike frame up is also a help. After the tires take a set well for most tires it is quicker. I wish for disc wheels set up the same. Next bike then.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 09-25-20, 06:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
You can do it 3 times a week except leap years you can do it 4 but if in Australia it is 2 in normal years but 6 in leap years provided you have consumed at least 1 case of Foster's. Now of course on Tuesdays in South Dakota, Vermont and some parts of central Florida you are required to get a permit to do it and in Wyoming it is not permitted at all on Sunday.
Old 09-25-20, 07:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
With practice you can change tires without using any tools other than your fingers
I need 1 plastic tire lever to remove the tore from my carbon wheels and can reinstall with my hands. Now on my tubeless wheels it's near impossible to get the tires off and on with tools and totally impossible without tools.

The spare tube I carry is puncture resistant so when i get a flat and install it, I remove it when I get home and put in a light weight tube. So for every flat the tire is removed and reinstalled twice and depending on my luck I might get 2-3 flats before the tire is worn past the wear indicator dots.
Old 09-26-20, 10:09 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
If I find myself swapping tires more than a few times a year, that leads to a second wheel-set, and a second wheel-set always grows into a new bike.
How do you do that? Keep the soil moist and lots of indirect sun? I'd love to grow new bikes from tires.
Old 09-26-20, 08:42 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
How do you do that? Keep the soil moist and lots of indirect sun? I'd love to grow new bikes from tires.
The key is to add plenty of money.
Likes For Kapusta: