Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Full kit for hybrid riders?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 09-08-15, 05:57 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Why not i say?
I love cycling jerseys because of the moisture wicking those three essential, (for me) pockets in the back, and the cool cycling look.
I love cycling shorts, the stretch the padding, but not the look. They can look fine on thin riders, but if you have a bit of a pot like me,
then they can look a little ridiculous. BUT...I require the features, so I always wear them. Of course on many occasions I will wear
gym shorts over them, but in the summer especially I don't. Reason being, is that I chose a serfas RX performance saddle because that
full length split design allows for ventilation in those down under sweaty places. Very nice feature. Wearing gym shorts over my spandex
effectively defeats that welcome breeze. So I will often put up with the less than studly look for comfort purposes.
What about you? What do you wear and why?
Old 09-08-15, 06:01 PM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
No crime, do it if you like it. I usually wear bike shorts with thin nylon shorts over. If its hot, just the bike shorts, depending on destination. T shirt or jersey is decided by temp, destination and mood.
Old 09-08-15, 10:00 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 507 Posts
Baggy cycling shorts are available that have a liner with the chamois padding, but the outer layer is more like cargo shorts. I have a pair like these: Nashbar Sport Baggy Shorts
Old 09-08-15, 10:58 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
These: Zoic Ether Premium Mountain Bike Shorts | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

and these: Novara Metro Gel Double Bike Shorts - Men's - REI.com
Old 09-09-15, 06:22 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Y'know, I forgot about mtb shorts.
I had a pair and used them a couple of times but they were dangerous.
The baggy leg would catch on my saddle and I nearly spilled.
I tried a couple of times but always had this problem. I threw them away.
I knew if I kept them I would tempted to try them again (like after reading this post)
and so I got rid of them in the interest of safety.
Old 09-09-15, 06:42 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
It's not about looks! It's about function!

Get over it!
Old 09-09-15, 07:26 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
When I read "Full Kit" I think of a costume that copies or resembles what cyclists on a racing team would wear... which unless you are on the team, makes you look like a ridiculous poser in my opinion. Don't be that person!

Tasteful cycling gear is another story, and useful on really long rides. Personally, I don't bother with it unless I'm riding for more than an hour. I prefer to look like a regular guy, not a wannabe.
Old 09-09-15, 10:53 AM
retlod

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Speed 1 | Trek 1500 SLR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dress for the speed and distance I'll be riding. Long straights and windy out? Jersey and spandex (no corporate logos). Fitness ride around the 'hood, crushed limestone trail, or a zig-zag path? Wicking tee and MTB shorts. To the gym? Workout clothes and running shoes.

IMO, if you talk the talk, you have to walk the walk, so if you're not sponsored and still sporting matching jerseys and shorts with logos all over them, you had better be strong, fast, and relentless. If you're that good, then go for it...on your road bike.
Old 09-09-15, 11:56 AM
fixj

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL 1, Trek Verve 3, Fuji Appalachian MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canari's under mtb shorts, long sleeve high vis jersey with no logos. Can't ride without Canari's.
Old 09-09-15, 12:10 PM
dogfather69

Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6'1, 330 pounds ( down from 380 ) I wear cycling jersey and shorts. Yes I look like an overstuffed sausage, I am fat, I know it, but at least I am comfortable when I ride.
Old 09-09-15, 02:13 PM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Warm weather riding: Occasionally MTB shorts but usually some supportive undies and nylon running shorts. For shirt: a t-shirt if it is a bit cool or a Qwick- dry type shirt if really hot. I just don't need the padding in cycling or MTB shorts for a 1-2 hour ride.
Old 09-09-15, 02:40 PM
Aqua_Andy

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
When I read "Full Kit" I think of a costume that copies or resembles what cyclists on a racing team would wear... which unless you are on the team, makes you look like a ridiculous poser in my opinion. Don't be that person!

Tasteful cycling gear is another story, and useful on really long rides. Personally, I don't bother with it unless I'm riding for more than an hour. I prefer to look like a regular guy, not a wannabe.
I totally agree with this post. I just refuse to pay upwards of $80 for a jersey that has advertisements all over it. If you want me to advertise for you I should be provided the gear for free.
Old 09-09-15, 02:59 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The only jerseys I have with logo, say U S Army on them - and I'm proud of that! I earned 'em!

The rest of my stuff is nondescript. It's all about comfort and function.
Old 09-09-15, 03:12 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick

Problem with looking like a regular guy on a bike, IDIOTS on wheels(especially teenagers) will harass you(honk,yell,mid-finger,startle, and even swipe you)..some motorist will do that when you are on the road and honestly(i dont know why) drivers tend to give a little respect for cyclist on a full monty.
Old 09-09-15, 03:20 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
if you're a big fat guy (300lbs?) on a hybrid, don't wear the tour day france polka dot jersey. while riding a hybrid.

saw that Monday on the Dequinter cut bike path. just. not. good.
Old 09-09-15, 04:17 PM
Ajh800

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp Disc '14, Spec' Crosstrail Sport Disc (customed), Ellsworth Epiphany

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kitted out in bib shorts and jersey. It's comfy, suitable and adaptable for the weather & there's no access for bees, wasps or other beasties.

Nothing wrong with being a MAMIL
Old 09-09-15, 04:18 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Maverick 13330
Problem with looking like a regular guy on a bike, IDIOTS on wheels(especially teenagers) will harass you(honk,yell,mid-finger,startle, and even swipe you)..some motorist will do that when you are on the road and honestly(i dont know why) drivers tend to give a little respect for cyclist on a full monty.
It seems to me that riding with confidence, like you belong, and not stealing right of way, is what gains the respect of motorists. This can be done in any type of clothes.

Cowering in fear of the almighty motorists can signal some bullies to strike... 'cause you then appear to be easy and "safe" pickings. A group of fully kitted cyclists blatantly running stop lights/signs when motorists have the right of way can also easily attract harassment.

In some locals, just wearing lycra has been known to attract bully behavior.
Old 09-09-15, 05:55 PM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Kit is comfy but usually I just wear what I'm wearin.
Old 09-09-15, 08:16 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Aqua_Andy
I totally agree with this post. I just refuse to pay upwards of $80 for a jersey that has advertisements all over it. If you want me to advertise for you I should be provided the gear for free.
Aliexpress.com - $15 - $20 jerseys. Also got a sweet deal on a jersey (pricing error) from the Amgen Tour of California site.
Old 09-09-15, 08:17 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dogfather69
I am 6'1, 330 pounds ( down from 380 ) I wear cycling jersey and shorts. Yes I look like an overstuffed sausage, I am fat, I know it, but at least I am comfortable when I ride.
I also feel comfortable wearing a cycling jersey and cycling tights. However, I may check out those Nashbar shorts.
Old 09-09-15, 10:52 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
If you are riding hard, it doesn't matter what kind of bike you are riding; the kit is helpful. If you're out cruising to the corner store or for a coffee, you don't need the kit. Whatever you are comfortable wearing is what you should wear, independent of body size/shape or bike!
Old 09-10-15, 12:29 AM
Ajh800

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp Disc '14, Spec' Crosstrail Sport Disc (customed), Ellsworth Epiphany

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yashinon
Aliexpress.com - $15 - $20 jerseys. Also got a sweet deal on a jersey (pricing error) from the Amgen Tour of California site.
+1. DH Gate also bargain prices. Whatever you wear, make sure you're visible to traffic/other road users. Don't understand riders wearing black attire, especially in the dark, low light conditions. Crazy.
Old 09-10-15, 02:45 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 149 Posts
I've seen a few "pro" hybrid riders around, it's no crime but I personally prefer less logo's even riding my road bike.

Old 09-10-15, 03:33 AM
ikaika777

Bikes: 2017 Giant Escape 2, 2013 Giant Escape 2, 1986 Bianchi Nuovo Alloro

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
White Haynes T-shirt, sport shorts, Bern helmet, and Five-Ten shoes. Basically I look like a bike messenger. Spandex is not for me.
Old 09-10-15, 03:49 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maverick 13330
Where do you live? Sounds like you need a bike advocacy group in your region.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.