Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

What to Wear Between Seasons: Autumn to Winter

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 10-13-15, 05:46 AM
tararogue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, it's getting to be that time of year. The cold wind blew through Minneapolis yesterday and I think other than a few warmer days (like 67 tomorrow) it's going to start getting cold.

Anyone have recommendations on biking shoes for in between seasons? I don't do clips, and typically I bike in very grippy Sauconys or Solomons. There's a Chrome shop right by my office, so maybe I'll go check it out today.

Otherwise I mostly have the "what to wear" part down in cooler weather: base layer short sleeved shirt, breathable thermal Pearl Izumi jacket and pants. Seems to work like a charm. And light gloves.

I have discovered over the past few years that I have to wear ear coverage even when it's 65 degrees! Super sensitive ears, and it doesn't take much for them to ache.

I've also never winter biked before, but I really want to try it this year.
Old 10-17-15, 12:50 PM
DTownDave22

Bikes: hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tararogue
So, it's getting to be that time of year. The cold wind blew through Minneapolis yesterday and I think other than a few warmer days (like 67 tomorrow) it's going to start getting cold.

Anyone have recommendations on biking shoes for in between seasons? I don't do clips, and typically I bike in very grippy Sauconys or Solomons. There's a Chrome shop right by my office, so maybe I'll go check it out today.

Otherwise I mostly have the "what to wear" part down in cooler weather: base layer short sleeved shirt, breathable thermal Pearl Izumi jacket and pants. Seems to work like a charm. And light gloves.

I have discovered over the past few years that I have to wear ear coverage even when it's 65 degrees! Super sensitive ears, and it doesn't take much for them to ache.

I've also never winter biked before, but I really want to try it this year.
I don't have much input RE: footwear. I am considering looking more into what are some of the tradeoffs and benefits of non-running shoes for cycling on non-clipless pedals. Running shoes I tend to purchase are a bit pricey though I'm not sure how alternatives compare at least price-wise.

Why are you interested about footwear in the autumn? You did not specifically note if your feet are too cold and how cold they feel. I would suggest some quality wool socks regardless of whether it's in the winter or autumn. I don't quite remember how much cold weather riding (say below 45F) I did with running shoes, but I don't remember my feet being too cold in such conditions. I do vaguely remember now having shoe covers for my clipless pedals when I was still riding in the winter.

The last tip I have to offer is that if you are riding in the Midwest in the winter or "snow season", there's a good chance there is some form of salt on the ground. If you are already aware of its effects, then ignore this, but if not, you can read on (I wish someone had made me aware prior to learning myself).

I rarely if ever cleaned off my drivetrain in the winters that I was riding, unaware of how corrosive it was on metal, especially aluminum. I went through a new cassette and new chain in about a year and 3 months from March to June of the following year. I have no experience with maintaining a relatively salt-free bicycle in the winter. It's not incredibly difficult but at the same time, it's not incredibly unlike washing a car in the winter time, and that isn't incredibly fun or always safe, e.g.creating large puddles of water in the winter to freeze. Towels with two buckets is probably the best way to go, using towels with soap and towels to rinse vs. hosing it down.

You can also ride a used or a "beater" (as some may refer to a used bicycle) but are still going to want to keep a bicycle relatively salt-free regardless of whether it's old or used--at the very least, periodically clean the drivetrain and even wipe the frame with a damp towel in the areas have have visible dirt/salt.
Old 10-17-15, 07:54 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 11 Posts
I rode my better road bike when I commuted in winter back in Wisconsin. Lets just say by April it needed a new chain but I lubed it but the salt took a beating on it. I never wiped it down once I got to work and just set it off to the side in the building and just dripped dried everyday. It was an aluminum Giant OCR1 but honestly liked it better then my specific winter bike I made with 26x2 studded tires and whatnot. The Giant even had just normal road tires. Was like pizza cutter through snow but the studded tires were magnets for snow and ice and within a block or two it was completely caked in ice.

I still road just normal SPD mtn shoes but decent wool socks. Once you get riding you heat up quite a bit and don't want to over do it and be roasting. I was never freezing after my 45 minute commute and normally sweating pretty good.
Old 10-28-15, 10:17 AM
mpls85

Bikes: Yeti SB150, Specialized Chisel, Giant Defy Advanced Pro

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I'm also in Minneapolis, and my biggest issue on early morning rides is my hands and feet. I was thinking about trying neoprene shoe covers like this:

Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Shoe Covers - REI.com

I think the biggest issue in normal shoes and most bike shoes is lack of wind-blocking. Might be a better solution than buying a dedicated pair of shoes.
Old 11-02-15, 12:48 PM
waterfish_21

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone mentioned running shoes. From my experience running shoes are pretty bad, they are so breathable that within 30 minutes my feet were ice cubes, riding at 45 degrees F. Also they have softer soles so they flex and the pedals dig into my feet more, making my feet super numb(normal shoes take me 60+ miles before I feel numbness in my feet, running shoes 15+ miles, biking shoes = no numbness for me.) I just use my normal shoes with thick socks 39-55 degrees F, 2 hour + ride I felt fine.
Old 11-05-15, 10:39 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This is what I do for footwear from warm to cold:

-Tape up vent hole in bottom of toe box and put on PI toe warmers (amazing how much they help)
- PI shoe covers
- Lake cycling boots (awesome)

The toe covers and shoe covers allow some versatility when commuting...you can wear shoe covers in the morning when colder and switch to toe covers or nothing for the warmer ride home.

I don't change much with my socks.
Old 01-01-16, 06:54 PM
WDH74

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic, Trek FX 7.3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waterfish_21
Someone mentioned running shoes. From my experience running shoes are pretty bad, they are so breathable that within 30 minutes my feet were ice cubes, riding at 45 degrees F. Also they have softer soles so they flex and the pedals dig into my feet more, making my feet super numb(normal shoes take me 60+ miles before I feel numbness in my feet, running shoes 15+ miles, biking shoes = no numbness for me.) I just use my normal shoes with thick socks 39-55 degrees F, 2 hour + ride I felt fine.
I would recommend a pair of bike shoes for the comfort factor, even if you don't clip in. I used to use some basketball shoes, which had a pretty stiff sole and were relatively warm compared to ultra light running shoes, but they eventually went soft so my feet would hurt. I bought a pair of Shimano mountain bike shoes (I forget what model at the moment, they're Smurf blue, though) and after a few rides with them I stopped having issues. They've also got the option to add cleats later should I want to go clipless. They're not that warm but a good pair of socks helps.
Old 01-01-16, 08:42 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 64 Posts
I use cycling shoes, but for winter I bought a pair a size larger than I usually wear so I can fit nice thick wool socks in them. I also use thick neoprene shoe covers. (It doesn't get that cold here in Seattle but my feet have rather iffy circulation.)
Old 01-02-16, 07:45 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
I use cycling shoes, but for winter I bought a pair a size larger than I usually wear so I can fit nice thick wool socks in them. I also use thick neoprene shoe covers. (It doesn't get that cold here in Seattle but my feet have rather iffy circulation.)

I wouldn't wear normal sporty shoes even if you can fit big ol wool socks. Most active shoes are meant to breathe and that's the last thing you want in winter. I picked up Planet Bike Blitzen shoe covers just a few days ago and excited to try them out.