Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Gatorskin tires

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Gatorskin tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 05:05 AM
jkrm

Bikes: Fuji Tread 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gatorskin tires

I am new here and pretty new to cycling. I have a Fuji Tread 1.0 that is about 3 years old and needs new tires. I was looking at the Continental Gatorskin 700c X 32, to replace the 700c X 35s that came with the bike. REI has a nice price on them now through mail order. I have a couple of questions.
  • I ride almost exclusively on roads. In fact there is only one stretch on one of my routes, about mile long, that consists of packed dirt or stone dust, maybe some small stones. Would this tire be OK for that?
  • I have not changed a bike tire for maybe 50 years! A couple of reviews for this tire said it was hard to mount, and no bike shops are open around here now. Does anyone have any experience as to whether these tires really are harder than most to mount? Are there any hints or videos to help me out? I don't want to get the old tires off, and then find I can't mount the old or re-mount the old tires and be without my bike.
Thanks,
Old 04-27-20, 05:19 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Get a kool stop tire lever to mount the new tires and tire levers to get the old tires off. The gatorskins will be fine for the ride you describe. They're good tires. I don't find them difficult to mount but some tire/rim combinations can be tough. I find that tires with steel beads tend to be a little easier to mount than folding tires.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-27-20 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 05:21 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
I have 28-622 gatorskins on one of my bikes. One rim is a 19-622 Weinmann clincher from the 80ies, the other a 2019 19-622 Ryde Zac. Mounting worked without problems and without tools.
Old 04-27-20, 06:09 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
I haven't found Gatorskins to mount any differently than other tires. You'll find the tread to last a while and puncture resistance to be excellent. Rolling resistance is excellent compared to many other puncture resistant tires but not compared to most road tires. As a result, you'll find a slight speed reduction - not a big deal for casual biking. Gatorskins are an excellent value tire.
Likes For Tony P.:
Old 04-27-20, 06:26 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Get a kool stop tire lever to mount the new tires and tire levers to get the old tires off. The gatorskins will be fine for the ride you describe. They're good tires. I don't find them difficult to mount but some tire/rim combinations can be tough. I find that tires with steel beads tend to be a little easier to mount than folding tires.
If you need tools to mount or remove tires you had better take them with you on the road or you will be stuck when you get a flat.
Old 04-27-20, 06:41 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
YouTube is your friend. Often my first choice. You likely have cyclists in your area. For example, pre pandemic, cyclists in our small town meet Friday morning at Starbucks. If you were here, one of our garage mechanics would help you out. The other place to look for fellow riders is Strava and FB.

one thing I love about biking is the community that it develops.
Old 04-27-20, 06:49 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Welcome! I used 32C Gatorskins on a tour. I installed them and had to do one rear flat repair, non-puncture tube failure, and don't recall them being significantly more troublesome than other tires. Certainly not the worst. They ride well and can handle gravel. I prefer to use slim, smooth metal tire levers rather than the thicker plastic ones, but that's just years of shop experience talking.
Old 04-27-20, 07:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
@bikemig is referring to the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack, which makes quick work of mounting the most difficult tire beads.

And for tire levers, I'd recommend Pedro's, as I've never broken or bent one yet, unlike every other type I've tried.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 04-27-20, 07:08 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
If you need tools to mount or remove tires you had better take them with you on the road or you will be stuck when you get a flat.
Sure the OP can take the kool stop tire jack along. Personally I find it is a great tool for home use and I bring only tire levers when riding my bike.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-27-20 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 07:09 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by thumpism
Welcome! I used 32C Gatorskins on a tour. I installed them and had to do one rear flat repair, non-puncture tube failure, and don't recall them being significantly more troublesome than other tires. Certainly not the worst. They ride well and can handle gravel. I prefer to use slim, smooth metal tire levers rather than the thicker plastic ones, but that's just years of shop experience talking.
+ 1 on using thin metal tire levers rather than the thicker plastic ones.
Old 04-27-20, 08:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Like the other responders, I find Gatorskins to be a good compromise between puncture resistance, tread wear, and (lack of) stiffness for better road shock absorption.

Originally Posted by jkrm
I ride almost exclusively on roads. In fact there is only one stretch on one of my routes, about mile long, that consists of packed dirt or stone dust, maybe some small stones.
You can find Gatorskins in 35 width, though maybe not at REI. There's not a huge size difference, but wider tires may help when you get to that "packed dirt or stone dust" stretch. It really depends on the path; some surfaces with that description are practically paved roads, and some are mush pits waiting to trap the unwary cyclist.
Old 04-27-20, 08:38 AM
jkrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all! I have ordered the tires and tubes. I might order the Kool Stop tool, or try getting them on without it first.
Old 04-27-20, 08:40 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Here in the desert SW Gatorskins are very popular, more difficult to mount and change until you get some miles on them, and not the nicest ride. Some of the "tubeless ready rims" can make the issue worse. You might want to carry the kool stop tire jack on early rides.
Old 04-27-20, 09:15 AM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I have some 700x32 gators on my commuter bike and think they are great. Nice to ride. I didn't find them any harder than most other tyres to mount. Some tyres can be harder to mount due to specific rim designs, but a little time and patience can overcome most. I recommend Pedro's tyre levers, strong and easy to use.

james
www.buckyrides.com
Old 04-27-20, 09:29 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Thanks to all! I have ordered the tires and tubes. I might order the Kool Stop tool, or try getting them on without it first.
Ideally, clinchers should be able to be mounted without tools, and dismounted with minimal tools. Just make sure that you have just a little air in the tubes, and that when you get to the point where you have both beads inside the rim for part of the tire, that you make sure that those beads are in the center well of the rim when you try to get the remainder of the bead inside the rim elsewhere.
Old 05-02-20, 11:50 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
I've been using Gatorskin Hardshells for the past 5+ years and they are great, tough tires. Mine are a bit tough to mount when they tires are brand new. However, I can mount them only using my hands (it's technique, not as much strength). They are easier to mount as time goes on, and when doing a road side repair (which is rare), the tires are relatively easy to mount because they are warm (I live in Southern CA)
I've concluded one reason the brand new tires are hard to mount is they are "cold". The tires have been in my relatively cool garage, on the shelf So now, before I mount new tires, I set them out in the sun to warm up a bit and I think that makes it easier to mount. .
Old 05-03-20, 12:10 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I have put Gatorskin 28's on my sister's bike and it was easy. I have no idea of her rim brand. She later removed on to put a new tube in and she said it was easy on and off.

I put Continental GP4000SII in 28 on my Alexrim A23. I am very glad I had my old metal tire levers, especially since they have spoke hooks. I actually thought I had a bad tire it was so hard to get on. Now when I removed them to put on Compass tires in 28, I could get them off bare handed. I later put the Continentals back on the A23 rims when the Compass tired went on a second set of wheels and could do it by hand.
Old 05-03-20, 06:56 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
A couple of friends can't stand them, citing how difficult they are to mount. I don't get that--I've never needed tools, even to dismount them. My wife and I have been using them on four or five sets of wheels over the last five years. Even my wife, whose grip isn't as strong, loves how easy they are to change, and especially how seldom that task needs to be done.

Hopefully your rims work well with them. Get familiar with techniques such as pinching the beads together into the center of the rim while pulling them off, and verify your rim strip/tape is installed right.
Old 05-03-20, 09:44 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I have 2 sets. One regular and Hardshell, both 32c. I like them and would buy them again. The regulars mount as easily as any other tire. Hardshell's are a little more difficult but still ok. I need a lever with the Hardshells.

Bycyclerollingresistance shows them both about the same resistance. For me the regular version are more comfortable. No flats with either set ridden over several years.
Old 05-03-20, 09:58 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
A couple of friends can't stand them, citing how difficult they are to mount. I don't get that--I've never needed tools, even to dismount them. My wife and I have been using them on four or five sets of wheels over the last five years. Even my wife, whose grip isn't as strong, loves how easy they are to change, and especially how seldom that task needs to be done.

Hopefully your rims work well with them. Get familiar with techniques such as pinching the beads together into the center of the rim while pulling them off, and verify your rim strip/tape is installed right.
Most cyclist do not seem to know the proper way to mount/dismount a tire, even those who have been riding for years. I’m constantly hearing about these “hard to mount” tires, the GP5k being the one I hear most often. No such thing as a difficult tire, just bad technique, as it only takes me a few minutes to mount a brand-new GP5K, and it is EASY. No tire jack, no cursing, no sweat beading down my forehead, and no busted fingers.

I eventually just figured it out, but I’m sure there’s plenty of YouTube videos on the subject.
Old 05-03-20, 10:04 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I ride almost exclusively on roads. In fact there is only one stretch on one of my routes, about mile long, that consists of packed dirt or stone dust, maybe some small stones. Would this tire be OK for that? ,
For the kind of riding that you describe, I think it's real easy to overstate the benefits, if any, of bicycle tire tread.
Old 05-03-20, 11:03 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I've been a fan of Gatorskins for years, riding on the mean streets of LA. I even did an Eroica on a set of Gator 28s, no problem, dirt or pavement. I don't find them any more difficult to mount when new, and they do get easier each time off and on to mount. What are worse for me are Panaracer Paselas. I've tried both wire bead and flixi, and they are a pain to mount when new, and take many times off and on, to loosen up later. Luckily, i can get sometimes 2 or 3000 miles on both Gators or Paselas before flats become an issue. I finally bought the Koolstop tire jack to help me mount he Paselas, but don't usually carry it on rides. The worst combination for me are Mavic MA40 rims and new Paselas, which I have on 3 bikes.
Old 05-03-20, 11:14 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I used to use Gatorskins on my Synapse, in 23mm and 25mm sizes. They were fine. I still managed to pick up a goathead puncture once in awhile riding in Los Angeles. Eventually I moved to GP4000 in 23mm, 25mm, and later 28mm. Now I use GP5000 in 28mm on that bike.

On my Quick hybrid I use 32mm GP4Season. Maybe slightly less puncture resistant than Gatorskins, but a nicer ride and better traction.

I would rank them as such in terms of puncture protection:

Gatorskins > GP4Season > GP5000 > GP4000sII

In terms of ride and handling:

GP5000 > GP4000sII > GP4Season > Gatorskins

If you can find Gatorskins in a 35mm width, that's going to be a pretty good tire for your type of riding. 32mm will do, but 35mm will feel nicer on gravel and packed trails. Plus 35mm you can run a slightly lower pressure for a less jarring ride. If you were doing more road riding and less trail riding, 32mm would be a prefectly acceptable option.

My Quick hybrid has 32mm tires on it. Since I don't ride offroad much, this is ideal for me. If I did ride offroad more, I'd go 35mm or 38mm.
Old 05-04-20, 11:21 AM
jkrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again to everyone. The tires arrived on Thursday but the tubes didn't get here till Saturday. After a day of "quarantine", I put one on on Sunday. I thought it was going to be really easy, but the last bit of getting the tire bead into the rim was a bear! I was close to giving up and ordering a Kool Tool, when I tried one more time and managed to get it on. I made rather liberal use of tire levers, but followed the advice in one of the videos I watched to check around the entire perimeter of the tire for signs of the tube poking out before inflating. I rode it fifteen miles this morning so it must be OK.

Today (Monday) was a sunny day so I took the advice of leaving the next tire out in the sun for an hour or so. Getting it on was still hard, but it went a lot faster than the first one. I am not sure whether I just learned something doing the first one, or if the warming in the sun did the trick. Probably a bit of both.

Anyway, thanks again. The bike rides really nice with them. But I think I may buy a Kool Tool for next time.
Old 05-04-20, 12:01 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
It's easier to mount on a wider rim, kind of hard on the 1.5s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.