Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with the correct BB for Minelli Silhouette

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20, 12:08 AM
hkhoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi ,

I recently got my hands on an old Minelli Silhouette hbyrid frame and is trying to create a road bike based on this frame. The only issue I face now is the bb shells is nothing like I have ever seen. The width and inner diameter is typical 70mm width and 33.7 mm inner diameter. However it has NO THREADS at all inside the tube. I cannot as well install the normal BSA BB, and have search on the net regarding what type of BB would fit. So neither BSA or Pressfit BB seems to be compatible with this frame.

Have anyone ever encounter such BB shells or familiar with Minelli that can give me advise on how to proceed ?

Thanks and advance.

Last edited by hkhoe; 08-28-20 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-28-20, 05:32 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Try threadless bb from
velo orange or yst.
Old 08-28-20, 07:05 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 2,056 Posts
Google Thompson Thun bottom bracket

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bi...silver-261972/

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bi...son-press-fit/
Old 08-28-20, 11:28 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I assume you mean 70mm and 33mm.

70mm was not the width of ISO BBs, they are either 68mm or 73mm. 70mm would most likely be Italian, but those are also threaded, and are, I believe, a bit larger diameter than ISO 1.37" threads. Also, Minelli was a low-cost brand sold in multi sport stores and some hardware stores. It would be very unusual for such a bike to have Italian threads.

Above advice to find a BB designed for frames with damaged threads might be good - they have threads on the outside of the BB that mate with lock rings which tighten against the frame, but no threads that interface with threads in the frame..
Old 08-28-20, 08:49 PM
hkhoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advise Guys...and sorry for the wrong measurement. I have edited the post to correct it.

So I guess a BB for damaged thread would be the ultimate choice for this frame. Much appreciated.