Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

any decent walmart bikes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

any decent walmart bikes?

Old 09-22-20, 03:54 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
I actually just bought my wife a new bike from Walmart because she wanted it and I was surprised to see the Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal gear hub on the bike. It was the only adult bike on the floor. Has front Caliper brakes and a rear drum brake. It was $198

That is a beautiful bike. If she enjoys it, that's all that matters.
Likes For fujidon:
Old 09-22-20, 04:03 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Can't believe there hasn't been a popcorn emoji yet.
Here you go...
Old 09-22-20, 04:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by windy7777
or still mostly garbage?
Yes they're garbage and they're not even worth upgrading...It's better to purchase a used brand name bike that's been well maintained.
Old 09-22-20, 04:24 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yes they're garbage and they're not even worth upgrading...It's better to purchase a used brand name bike that's been well maintained.
I would love to see more folks cycling. It's good for health (mental and physical) and for this blue marble we live on. If that means riding an inexpensive bike from a discount department store, I'm all for it.

I don't agree that they're garbage even though there are many better choices for those want to take cycling seriously.

I ride a bike that cost a few thousand dollars and I enjoy it. Not everyone needs to spend thousands of dollars to find enjoyment in the simplicity of a human powered machine.
Likes For fujidon:
Old 09-22-20, 04:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by windy7777
i do know pacific makes many store brand bikes .they even make canondale if i recall

Pacific doesn't make Cannondale or own Cannondale.
Both Pacific and Cannondale are owned by Dorel. Dorel doesnt make Cannondale bikes either- Dorel contracts bike production out to multiple factories.
Old 09-22-20, 08:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
You can buy Snap On or you can buy tools at the Dollar Store. If you need seven different tools to do a small job, you cvan get them all at the Dollar Store for half what a single Snap-On would cost. If you need to do six ot ten small jobs, you might have to replace half the Dollar Store tools.

Plenty of people ride Walmart bikes within the bikes' limits and find them fine. Plenty of people buy them for kids and toss them every year or two and replace them.

Different tools at different quality levels for different jobs and different levels of demand. For someone who just wants to ride around the neighborhood and enjoy cycling, I'd recommend a $100 Walmart single-speed beach cruiser because the cost is so low, the tech level is so low, and the joy of cycling is all there.

If the rider didn't want to go too far or too fast, a cheap rigid 7-speed hybrid can work well. I had a friend who rode one---met all his needs.

For a person who planned to spend a few hundred at least---who planned to stay with cycling beyond a nightly 20-minute spin around the 'hood or a ten-mile jaunt 9on the local MUP on Saturday ... I'd advise saving a bit more money and buying a significantly better bike.

Are Walmart bikes "Trash"? No, just really cheap.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-22-20, 09:16 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
I actually just bought my wife a new bike from Walmart because she wanted it and I was surprised to see the Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal gear hub on the bike. It was the only adult bike on the floor. Has front Caliper brakes and a rear drum brake. It was $198

Speechless.
Old 09-22-20, 09:22 PM
Outrider1

You can buy Snap On or you can buy tools at the Dollar Store. If you need seven different tools to do a small job, you cvan get them all at the Dollar Store for half what a single Snap-On would cost. If you need to do six ot ten small jobs, you might have to replace half the Dollar Store tools.

Plenty of people ride Walmart bikes within the bikes' limits and find them fine. Plenty of people buy them for kids and toss them every year or two and replace them.

Different tools at different quality levels for different jobs and different levels of demand. For someone who just wants to ride around the neighborhood and enjoy cycling, I'd recommend a $100 Walmart single-speed beach cruiser because the cost is so low, the tech level is so low, and the joy of cycling is all there.

If the rider didn't want to go too far or too fast, a cheap rigid 7-speed hybrid can work well. I had a friend who rode one---met all his needs.

For a person who planned to spend a few hundred at least---who planned to stay with cycling beyond a nightly 20-minute spin around the 'hood or a ten-mile jaunt 9on the local MUP on Saturday ... I'd advise saving a bit more money and buying a significantly better bike.

Are Walmart bikes "Trash"? No, just really cheap.
This is a well thought out reply.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 09-22-20, 09:23 PM
Outrider1

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Ask anybody who works at, is affiliated with or has an emotional or financial attachment to an LBS (or the branded products sold there) and he will tell you the same. BF has a large contingent of such people who will respond accordingly to this type of allegedly innocent "question".
Whatcha riding yourself?
Old 09-23-20, 07:07 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by fujidon
That is a beautiful bike. If she enjoys it, that's all that matters.
Thanks!! I am very surprised at how well it rides, I adjusted the front brakes already as they were not gripping very well but now they are fine, and for my wife who i don't think is too interested in taking cycling more serious than a nightly 20 minute or so ride around our subdivision and in our RV campground for when we spend weekends at the campground this is perfect for her. I really wanted to find an older Raleigh 3 speed to fix up for her, but she had her mind set on this Margaritaville cruiser and it's pretty nice for what we paid for it. It serves the purpose well
Likes For tpadul:
Old 09-23-20, 07:09 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Speechless.
The Sturmey Archer Hub? I was surprised myself and I think that is why I decided that it was worth getting for her since she really wanted it, I've taken it for a spin around our subdivision and have to admit it rides so smooth and the 3 speed shifts so smoothly. For the small amount of time my wife will be riding around the subdivision and the RV campground during the summer months this will suit her needs just fine.
Likes For tpadul:
Old 09-23-20, 08:40 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Some of the bikes they sell are online-only. Not sold in stores.

If you're able to assemble the bike yourself, it might be a good way to go.
I think Viathon is the mail order brand but it was pricey, you do have other brands like Raleigh that have lower cost options that can be shipped to you if you are handy
Old 09-23-20, 09:37 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Whatcha riding yourself?
I have several.
The bike I put the most miles on over the last 20 years is this Ragazzi, bought new for 268 DM (approx$150) at Real (a German K-Mart type chain). After putting over 50,000 mostly all weather commuting miles on it I replaced the Sachs 7 speed coaster brake IGH with a Sachs Torpedo 3 speed coaster hub which I had on hand. The bike frame is pretty beat up now and I just use it for local poor weather riding.

Sometimes I ride this Motobecane bought new from Bikes Direct for about $500 the 8 speed Shimano IGH was a little finicky to get adjusted just right to get all 8 speeds but works well now and as I am 73 the lower gear range is used more often. The rim brakes work well even when wet but are not so good in snow and a rear coaster brake would serve me better.

Sometimes I ride this Gary Fisher Trek bike with a Shimano 3 speed coaster IGH. It is a very nice bike that I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago for $75. Reminds me a bit of the Raleigh Sports bike that I owned in 70's thru 90'S.

I've got others and they all serve me well and I consider all decent, many other bikes from numerous sources would also serve me well.
Bottom Line is:
Different bikes for different folks and value is best judged by the (intended) user, not the peanut gallery.
Old 09-23-20, 12:06 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Except that buying tools at the dollar store is a waste of money & time, IMO. My wife once bought some screwdrivers at the dollar store, and they must have been made of soft metal because the Phillips points stripped off very quickly.
Old 09-23-20, 12:33 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
buy once, cry once. bso might be fair enough for going to school or taking the kids out on a slow short ride, but a better purchase is likely to provide more use.
Old 09-24-20, 08:43 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
GMC Denali ftw! I didn't get it at Walmart but in theory I could have. It was the best $130 I ever spent on cycling.
Old 09-24-20, 09:52 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I was looking around on the Viathon Bikes website.... They have some Bicycle Assembly videos, which includes the mandatory unboxing segment. It seems they include a small torque wrench and assortment of hex bits in the box! I've never gotten a bike that came with a torque wrench! Or maybe this has been the norm for a long time for bikes above a certain price point?
Old 09-24-20, 09:55 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
You missed these; they only made 1000. Walmart exclusive.

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/t...mphant-return/
Old 09-24-20, 10:02 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Pacific doesn't make Cannondale or own Cannondale.
Both Pacific and Cannondale are owned by Dorel. Dorel doesnt make Cannondale bikes either- Dorel contracts bike production out to multiple factories.
Which is why you could find the Mongoose Deception running around under the guise of Cannondale a few years ago.
Old 09-25-20, 05:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I have several.
The bike I put the most miles on over the last 20 years is this Ragazzi, bought new for 268 DM (approx$150) at Real (a German K-Mart type chain). After putting over 50,000 mostly all weather commuting miles on it I replaced the Sachs 7 speed coaster brake IGH with a Sachs Torpedo 3 speed coaster hub which I had on hand. The bike frame is pretty beat up now and I just use it for local poor weather riding.

Sometimes I ride this Motobecane bought new from Bikes Direct for about $500 the 8 speed Shimano IGH was a little finicky to get adjusted just right to get all 8 speeds but works well now and as I am 73 the lower gear range is used more often. The rim brakes work well even when wet but are not so good in snow and a rear coaster brake would serve me better.

Sometimes I ride this Gary Fisher Trek bike with a Shimano 3 speed coaster IGH. It is a very nice bike that I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago for $75. Reminds me a bit of the Raleigh Sports bike that I owned in 70's thru 90'S.

I've got others and they all serve me well and I consider all decent, many other bikes from numerous sources would also serve me well.
Bottom Line is:
Different bikes for different folks and value is best judged by the (intended) user, not the peanut gallery.

Who the heck is the peanut gallery here? OP wants the opinion of people on bf about WM bikes. Some of us actually have experience with those bikes and others have observations. It's extremely fair to warn people asking about them of the possible pitfalls.

You actually have a lot to contribute to this discussion as you obviously have put together a fleet of really good and inexpensive bikes. Why don't you talk about that instead of worrying so much about the attitudes of other posters? I mean this sincerely, the frustrating thing about your posts is that you are obviously way more knowledgeable about acquiring and maintaining good inexpensive bikes than I'll ever be, and I'd really like to read your advice to someone just starting out, but instead you just take repetitive snarky shots.

These threads are really people asking what the best way to get started is. LBS is one alternative, WM is another, how about discussing other options?

Heck, you could start a pretty good thread discussing your kickstand collection.
Old 09-25-20, 08:57 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I just bought a Specialized Roll, and it makes me happy. Is it "nice?" Nah. But it is solid (I think it weighs approximately four and a half tons) and permits me to ride on some of the more-interesting surfaces in New Mexico. It was $700, which felt $200 too high, but it was just what I needed: an indestructo-hybrid that I can personalize and romp around in the woods on.

As for WalMart, I only go when I have not had enough exposure to poor people beating their children.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 09-25-20, 09:10 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Walmart still = mostly garbage. You can tell that just by looking at construction. They use heavier frame tubing made out of - let's say "not as strong" materials, various unbranded pieces and parts tend to be junkier whenever the consumer isn't looking, and overall it's a heavier, clunkier product more prone to breaking. Now throw on top of that the renowned poor assembly, and there's just no way you'll find anything of quality there. And I'm not picking on WalMart, ALL department store bikes are in the same vein. Now does that mean that everything you get from a dept store will be total unusable junk? No, as others have written, you'll get a clunkier product for your money; but if you stick to unadorned basic features, you have a chance of it at least being functional and not breaking prematurely - under easy use at least.

Regarding 'internet-only' products, yes they carry some; but in every case it will be a model that is cost-reduced beyond a comparable bike-shop quality product, so you'll end up paying more for less quality. Remember their primary motive for them selling anything is profit margin, and most of their products are less expensive to replace outright than to fix.LBS,onthe other hand, tend to sell products with fairly tight profit margins - to them they may need to stay in business but not by selling junk at top dollar.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 09-25-20 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-25-20, 10:27 PM
StargazeCyclist

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
^^^ Is that serious?! The LBS owner wants profit as much as the online store owner. The later can afford less profit margin because there is no rent to run a store and the number of customer online is much greater.

My $60 21 speed pseudo MTB from Walmart has served me well for the last 4 years, as commuting/utility bike. In fact my TCR costs me much more to maintain in absolute money.
Old 09-26-20, 06:11 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Remember their primary motive for them selling anything is profit margin, and most of their products are less expensive to replace outright than to fix. LBS, on the other hand, tend to sell products with fairly tight profit margins ...
I think the case could be made that the higher-end bikes at the LBS come with a much higher markup than anything from Walmart or the other big box stores. Substantially so.

Last edited by Reflector Guy; 09-27-20 at 05:35 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 09-26-20, 06:22 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 381 Posts
Any bike is better than no bike. The Walmart bikes are built well enough to comply with US regulations and to avoid lawsuits (America has nearly 60% of the world's lawyers). The paint and the coating on the wheels may not be so durable, and the nipples on the spokes may corrode more easily, but keeping the bike clean and oiled will limit these problems. I have known some odd types who have bought Walmart bikes and ridden them longer and harder than many roadies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.