Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

7 months shipping from China

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 10:23 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts

So I ordered some brake calipers off Ebay from China on Feb 22, 2020. They arrived yesterday, Sep 23, 2020. I know there is a Coronavirus causing shipping delays, but that's 7 months. Is it safe to expect any more prompt shipping from China at this time or does it still suck?
Old 09-24-20, 10:46 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
It is getting better on the average and as far as the worst and best cases are concerned. One of my recent orders arrived within 2 weeks by regular mail.
Old 09-24-20, 10:55 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Did they ship it via rowboat?

On a more serious note: It probably only took a couple of weeks but there was probably some manufacturing or sales backlog beforehand they had to get through. Did they provide a tracking number? Although even that is not always a sure thing because they could print a shipping label today but not actually "ship" it for a long time.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-24-20, 11:29 AM
Jicafold

No there was no tracking number. I was going to file a claim a few months ago then actually forgot all about it until they showed up.
Old 09-24-20, 11:29 AM
Rhondito

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
I ordered a couple of things in April and May and it took about 2 months for them to arrive. (One item I didn't know was shipping from China until I got my shipping notice.)
I've decided since that I'd rather pay a little more and buy from somewhere in the States than play the waiting game from overseas.
Old 09-24-20, 11:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Just wait until he finds out they are counterfeit.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-24-20, 11:59 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Just wait until he finds out they are counterfeit.
The brand name on them was "Radius". Look like decent quality. Certainly worth the $17.80 I paid for a set of new dual pivot front and rear calipers.
Old 09-24-20, 02:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Radius is not counterfeit just cheap stuff. I have seen it on various lower end bikes, probably functional and with some decent pads and cables and housing probably will be OK braking.

I wouldn't expect prompt shipping from overseas at this point. There is a global pandemic and the U.S. is now the hotbed of it.
Old 09-24-20, 04:50 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I ordered an ebike kit and the battery took over 3 months to arrive. The CA company I bought the kit from said the battery was shipped within a few days of my order, but got stuck on the pier waiting for a plane to LA. Said there was nothing he or the battery company could do about it, FEDEX tracking number didn't come active until the package got to the US.

They said many Chinese items get put in the belly of passenger planes on a space available basis. Since no passengers were traveling things got stuck on the dock.

This was in the spring when the rona was at its worst
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 09-24-20, 05:44 PM
Trocadile

Bikes: Reynolds 853 hardtail MTB; Titanium mini velo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
I just bought a crankset and some tires on AliExpress and handlebars on eBay (all from China) and they all came within 2-3 weeks.
Old 09-25-20, 12:18 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I track all of my online purchases in a spreadsheet so I know when they were ordered and when they arrived at my door or in my mailbox. Just two orders in the past 6 months took more than 21 days. A package of 10 diamond cutting wheels for a Dremel tool took 51 days but that was an outlier, the only thing that took more than 30 days. About half of my orders arrived within two weeks and 3/4 of them by 21 days. I recently purchased a #45 derailleur hangar for $7 and it arrived after 16 days. Apparently it is an odd one because if I ordered it domestically on eBay the cheapest US seller wants $32 for it and I would receive it within 7 days. What is much more apparent is prices have risen a lot since the USPS adjusted the shipping rates last July. A lot fewer items come from China with free shipping and when there is a shipping charge it is much higher than in the past. Not all of the problem can be aimed at the Chinese shippers. We all know that mail here in the US has been screwed up royally recently.
Old 09-26-20, 12:43 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Just two orders in the past 6 months took more than 21 days.
I have large statistics and opposite experiences maybe because of many lower-priced orders. 3 months delivery was quite typical, One order took 5 months and one got lost. Some more expensive products arrived within 6 weeks, maybe due to a more expensive service chosen by the seller. Turmoil seemed to be there on both sides of the ocean, long time spent in the warehouse before loading on the plane and long time afterwards. Looking into more details more chaos seemed to rage on the US side, with some items pointlessly traveling around the country in directions opposite to mine. Closer to now, many vendors increased shipping prices, sometimes from $5 to $45, but others kept them low. Delivery times started getting closer to normal only over the last month+.
Old 09-26-20, 01:26 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
The brand name on them was "Radius". Look like decent quality. Certainly worth the $17.80 I paid for a set of new dual pivot front and rear calipers.
I probably could be better with my money that's for sure but purchasing a cheap brakeset from China I just don't see the value proposition. I would not risk it on such critical components to safety.
Old 09-26-20, 01:58 PM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
A little bird told me we’re in a trade war with China. I wouldn’t put much stock in it though. I ordered a sports mask in April On Amazon and I was told it wouldn’t be delivered until July. I looked and sure enough: the seller was in China It came in May. Still slow, but not nearly as bad as originally estimated. Thank you Jeff Bezos.
Old 10-04-20, 08:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
That would be your slow boat FROM China.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-04-20, 10:28 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Ordered an Altus derailleur off ebay. Decided to pay a few dollars more for a local seller and another 3 bucks for shipping. Turned out my payment still went to a paypal address in China, but the parts were in the USA. Came in four days.