Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

About to buy a Dahon but should I wait for a Tern?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

About to buy a Dahon but should I wait for a Tern?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 03:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I see Rogerzilla has double downed on his Steel/Titanium Brompton,
sent it out for a few added braze-ons on the steel parts, and had it repainted
in a red candy iridescent , bling finish ..
couldn't be very dissatisfied to do that extra cost work ..
Old 08-29-11, 03:52 PM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kamtsa
Interesting reading, and I naively believed that Dahon bikes were already perfect, long lasting, stiff and with plenty of spare parts available.

The wind clearly changed direction ;-)
Oh they are ... compared to many other offerings, but indeed there is a new wind blowing which as I always keep saying, will benefit all of us, due to a new direction of a signifacant part of the folding bike fraternity.... and better bikes for all of us due to increased competition.
You will be surprised what Dahon will show at the upcoming shows..... which will be different than Tern... not better or worse just different.

I am exited about the next year offerings..... not so much exited about the announced price increase ... that sucks. But about all thenew bikes we will have next year ....

Will we see the infamous Curl ?
Old 08-29-11, 06:30 PM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brakemeister
You will be surprised what Dahon will show at the upcoming shows..... which will be different than Tern... not better or worse just different.
Good surprises are always welcome ;-)

Thor, you mentioned earlier that you will carry both Dahon and Tern. Do you know if the Dahon bikes that you will carry will be from 'Dahon China' or 'Dahon Taiwan'? (which are independent companies according to dahon.com).
Old 08-29-11, 07:09 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Will there be a $700 Tern folding bicycle?
Old 08-29-11, 07:24 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The first Tern in Australia:

Looks a bit like the Uno frame. I sat on it and did my standard flex test, pushing the handlepost from side to side. It is as rigid as any other good folder I have tested. I don't think any of mine are any more rigid.

Check out that robust handlepost hinge. That little button on the lever is a safety catch release.

The handlepost attaches like a standard ahead stem type. There is a star nut inside the steerer, and the handlepost clamps around the steerer. I applaud the return to standard methods.
Old 08-29-11, 07:34 PM
Jiten

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
The first Tern in Australia:
That looks more like an ECO frame, but with a chain stay. How much was it?
Old 08-29-11, 07:51 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yes I meant the ECO frame. This was at the Ausbike bike show, so no price was available.
Old 08-29-11, 11:02 PM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish my Brompton would have those two bottle mount holes on the main tube.
Old 08-30-11, 07:21 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
If I had to have a folding bike, like RIGHT NOW!!!, and Dahon/Tern was the only option, well, obviously Dahon would get the nod. And maybe Tern upping the game as far as parts availability goes will spur Dahon to step up with bikes of this generation. Plus, there's news of a price hike... Besides which, until they turn (ha) up in the supply line with retail availability, Tern is still technically vaporware.

If there was a Dahon model I really adored, and it was available now, and I was in the market for a folder, I'd certainly go for it. Especially since they are quite possibly revamping their line in response to the Tern intro? No telling what might be dropped from the line for next year...

But if it's more like, meh, and money is not burning a hole in your pocket, spend a few months collecting more cash and see what comes out from Tern.

Are they going to be at Interbike?
Old 08-30-11, 07:50 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes they will be at Interbike. Yes there will be a 700 dlr Tern bike ( I am pretty sure that the Link C 7 will be way below that, However the C7 has a regular handlpost and a less beefy latch, its better than brand X but not by a landslide either. The " real " Terns start most likely at the 700 dlr mark.... I promise I keep everybody posted.

Dahon China is the new all encompassing Dahon ( Corp.Headquarters in the US, production in China, Assembly plant in Bulgaria) .... Dahon Global based in Taiwain is the new Tern ....( Corp Headquarters in Taiwan, Production in Taiwan, European assembly plant in Tchechoslowakia ) Dahon Global decided against using the Dahon name to keep peace, hence Tern was born ( this is a very complex situation in a nutshell )

Thor
Old 08-30-11, 09:12 AM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's interesting that Dahon Taiwan avoids refering to themselves publicly as Dahon Taiwan (Global sounds more ... global) and at the same time make sure to refer to Dahon North America as Dahon China.

The intricate details of public perception manipulation. ;-)

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/08/3...ff/a9rb0ff.pdf

Last edited by kamtsa; 08-30-11 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-30-11, 09:37 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nothing to do with perception ...its the name they choose when they were producing and selling Dahon bikes around the globe. Hence Dahon Global ....
versus Dahon China which predominately sold bikes in China ...
versus Dahon USA which is the birthplace of Dahon, their Corporate headquarters, owned by Dahon China...used to sell bikes made in Taiwan and in China.... will sell Bikes made in China only for the future ....

its really not all that complicated after all ...

you guys either have to stop drinking cool aid ... and just relax about all of this legal mumbele jumble ...it really doesnt amount to much in the real world. A few lawyers are pushing back and forth, a couple press people think they have to be holier than the pope and try to put fire on the oil.... it means nothing to the bikes which are being built and nothing for the customers owning any one of the two brands in the future... nada...

thor
Old 08-30-11, 10:31 AM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thor, check the PDF in the link I posed earlier. The agreement is titled "CONTRACT BETWEEN DAHON CHINA AND DAHON TAIWAN", not Dahon China and Dahon Global.

As for the legal documents, they are actually very useful to see beyond the PR smoke screen. For example, that the split started more than 15 years ago or that the new Tern/Biologic distributor Stile Products is actually a subsidiary of Dahon Taiwan (90% ownership by MH).
Old 08-30-11, 10:43 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
see Kamtsa.... i havent read that legaleze and dont plan on spending any time on it either.
Dahon Taiwan is also Dahon Global or Mobility whatever and now its TERN

Semantics in my book.....

I should be very much more concerned than most as I am a Dahon Dealer and I will be a Tern Dealer as fast as the first bikes will be available over here. I have much more at stake than a customer who is not sure if he wants to buy one bike ... its basically my lifelyhood..... and I can assure you.. I am not worried ... for either one of the two companies.

thor
Old 08-30-11, 01:23 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chagzuki
It's not a given that raw material costs will be rising and should market speculators view a global recession on the cards commodity prices will drop massively. Oil has come down a long way recently. So inflation isn't happening accross the board. But far eastern labour costs will keep rising. . . perhaps Tern's manufacturing base being in Eastern Europe is a good move.
China is not suffering from the global recessionary contagion due to the artificial intervention of their government. So unless they stop building ghost cities, inflating home prices to the stratosphere there and in some parts of Canada, we are at the mercy of their veracious appetite for material consumption. We, North Americans, have taken for granted the luxuries of life as part of our birth right and that we do not realize that China is just in the midst of growing up, or err catching up to our living standards. There are billions of people still in China who do not possess the basic living luxury of life that we are grown accustomed to. That's changing as they are moving from a production economy to a more consumer economy. That transition will surely continue as will any other developing countries like India and the like. Things will get more expensive as more and more of the demand will out strip supply and that demand will surely come from China as new middle class group are gradually formed. We like to think that America is a great country. Still is, but guess what, we are in deep deep debt. We are competing with material consumption on a global scale. Which is why, year after after, more people become enriched to join into the consumption market.

Which is why playing a waiting game is not wise. You see, you can wait, but Chinese people have money and they do not need to wait. As long as some else is willing to pay premium prices, waiting simply will net you to have to pay a bit more next year until the market can bear no more. The way quantitative easing is being exercised in most countries these days, don't bet that easy money is going to dry up really soon.
Old 08-30-11, 01:41 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kamtsa
Thor, check the PDF in the link I posed earlier. The agreement is titled "CONTRACT BETWEEN DAHON CHINA AND DAHON TAIWAN", not Dahon China and Dahon Global.

As for the legal documents, they are actually very useful to see beyond the PR smoke screen. For example, that the split started more than 15 years ago or that the new Tern/Biologic distributor Stile Products is actually a subsidiary of Dahon Taiwan (90% ownership by MH).
Kamsta,

I am not sure why are you so worried about the legality of Dahon and Tern entity which made you to search documents proving otherwise. A dealer should worry more. A dealer is the middle man between the manufacturer and the customer and stands a lot to loose if things go sour between Dahon and Tern. A customer duty is simple. BUY the bike -- period. It will be a harder sell for Tern than Dahon I think because Tern is not an established brand yet. It will need more PR exposure and more assurance from Tern to all dealers that they are here to stay. Having said that, management from both Dahon and Tern are smart people and veterans of the industry for which they have no interest in killing each other. It is not wise. All this legality standpoint is simply a move from the lawyers to benefit either technologically in a viewpoint of intellectual protection (there is NO intellectual protection in China period) and financial efficiency to name their subsidiaries that way.

Btw, a little advise for you so you don't look all too silly. Other companies do similar things too. It's nothing new, which goes to show that you are a bit inexperienced in the area of corporate legal management.
Old 08-30-11, 01:43 PM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brakemeister
I should be very much more concerned than most as I am a Dahon Dealer and I will be a Tern Dealer as fast as the first bikes will be available over here. I have much more at stake than a customer who is not sure if he wants to buy one bike ... its basically my lifelyhood..... and I can assure you.. I am not worried ... for either one of the two companies.
Thor, I agree, I don't see any serious challenger for the Hon's dominance, they have the dealer networks, capital, product variety, know how, brand recognition, and are more aggressive business wise. As for the competition between the two brands, we will see how it will unfold.
Old 08-30-11, 06:06 PM
Dynocoaster 

I would get a Dahon now before the price increase in the middle of September.
Old 08-30-11, 08:32 PM
Jyyanks

Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk for me and a Citizen Gothic for my daughter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificcyclist
Don't pay too much attention on the legal issues with Dahon and Tern as this is normal operation even in other companies as well. We are living in difficult economic times and there are people out there who abuse the innovations that others made by just simply copying to make it cheaper. Just look at Apple Inc. and their continual fight against intellectual property infringements and how far they are willing to go to stop their competitors from even copying some of their designs. You see Apple Inc. floundering even against their fight with Samsung?!? You see Samsung struggling?

Do not be fooled by hearsay and opinions from the web. They come from individual opinions which are hardly facts! Listen to those who work in the industry and they will say the truth, even though it is a little difficult to swallow at times.

Unfortunately for you and for a lot of us, prices for many things like bikes and most electronic items are going to go anywhere but UP and UP and UP, no thanks to the over usage of governments use of quantitative easing initiatives. In this day and age, waiting is not a good game to play unless of course you are in Las Vegas or Florida, waiting for home prices to drop even more. It's depressing to see homes in Vegas going no where but down. Shara has closed and on liquidation sale, except the only thing you'll see on Interbike is prices are not going the way of Las Vegas homes; well at least most of them. If you are expecting hot prices, well expect hot temperature of 106 to 109 F at noon at Vegas now to Sept would be a better bet!

Having said that. Let's clear up some B.S about folding bikes in general. There are a lot of general classification on folding bikes, but roughly they can be differentiated into 3 class.

1, Compact fold
2, Quick fold
3, Travel fold

The Brompton falls more on the compact fold, whereas the Dahon on the Quick fold and the Bike Friday as well as the Xootr Swift on the travel fold end. They all have pros and cons, which were the reasons they were created. To serve a purpose, your propose!
Most folding bikes suffer a similar problem. Design a bike to fold nicely, but suffer some on ride quality. Design a folding bike that rides really nice but suffer some on the ease and quickness of the fold.
Notice I didn't list Tern in there?

Because with Tern, they are providing the best of both worlds. Being able to fold quickly PLUS providing the stiffness ratio that yields the ride quality that may perhaps surpasses current generation folding bikes that does not fold that nice and quick.
Do you see why the competitors are nervous? Do you see why Apple Inc. succeed where others fail.
In this current economy, the market demands to own the best of the best at a fair price. It's going to be expensive, but if Tern can replace 2 to 3 folding bikes with just 1 bike, that person will be willing to part with a significant amount of cash outlay to buy that and amortize it over the years, it will prove itself to be cost effective in the end. Apple Inc. proved it very nicely as their used products can still command a higher price than typical PC laptops. I believe Tern can do this.

So what to do now for the original poster. Well, determine what you need from a bike. If you need more speeds than what you've got, there are a number of options available from Dahon now, but options are limited as most items are already sold out.
I think it would be wise to wait for Tern if you are willing to accept the unique value that Tern provides. But if you are looking solely to save money and upgrade from your Boardwalk, The Dahon Speed P8 or the Mu P8 are a good start if you can find one in stock. A good online dealer that provides exceptional service on this forum can lend assistance to your needs.

Hope this helps.
Wow! thank you for taking the time to write such an informative post. Great information and advice. I think I'm leaning towards buying the Dahon now. I can always buy a Tern down the road.
Old 08-30-11, 08:34 PM
Jyyanks

Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk for me and a Citizen Gothic for my daughter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dynocoaster
Thanks for the advice. You've been great at reminding everyone what my price range is I did email the person selling a bike from craigslist but he never responded. Nevertheless, I am leaning towards buying now and can always upgrade later on
Old 08-30-11, 09:28 PM
Dynocoaster 

I just bought a used Speed 8 and tuned it a bit. I didnt care for the Big Apple tires and installed Marathon Racers and what a difference going from 20x2.0 to 20x1.50.
Old 08-30-11, 09:57 PM
vmaniqui

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I just bought a used Speed 8 and tuned it a bit. I didnt care for the Big Apple tires and installed Marathon Racers and what a difference going from 20x2.0 to 20x1.50.
try kojak 20x1.35. it will be even faster...
Old 08-30-11, 10:00 PM
Jiten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to Thor's news page (if I read it correctly), the Mu Uno will be about $899, which is a pretty amazing price hike. I was happy the Jifo was mentioned. Although, it seems possible that the projected prices are going to get these folding bikes (both Dahon and Tern) out of my budget range.
Old 08-31-11, 07:55 AM
Dynocoaster 

Just noticed that Thor is sold out of the Curve SL. A year ago the Speed TR was on close out for $649 what a deal that was.
Old 08-31-11, 08:17 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there are a few nice deals left at this moment .... the Vitesse p 18 comes to mind, a couple Matrix full sized bikes, Smoothhounds .....
but nothing like the CUrve SLs or SPeed TRs. Nobody can blame me not trying to warn the fence sitters to act now and dont wait any longer, though.
And the problem actually is that there are none potential super deals like the old ones available in the future either.... as those bikes are simply sold out and dont come back.
The new bikes will be rather drastically more expensive, the current bikes will be all we have for a couple months at least and even they are going to be more money by a rather large margin......... its looking bleak for bargain hunters ...

I will have to raise my prices before I go to Interbike, as I dont have good enough Internet access during the show.... Its still worthwhile ..maybe more even than in the past to call and ask if We have something with a scratch or busted carton for a lesser price ...
but again those opportunities are not going to be the norm ...

Thor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.