Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

To My Winter Brethren

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

To My Winter Brethren

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 08:50 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
To My Winter Brethren

I wrote this after an interesting encounter on my ride home tonight.

Maybe it will make sense to someone other than me.

To my winter brethren

are we so Great in number
that No look
No nod
No smile
No wink of recognition
should pass between us?

I see You
a phosphorescent patch of yellow
against a setting sun
Your tempo matching mine
quick pulse with each revolution
stoic shoulders to the northwest wind

I lean in thighs pressing down
A rounded staccato beat
just a hair faster now
You, my double, my twin
unbeknownst pursued
a steel steed gliding over ice

what is Your story
who are You
why are You too
rolling along over white
a dose of warmth
wrapped in fibre layers

I pull within a grasp
our carbide tips rat a tatting
on frozen chalk marked pavement
tracking straight across gnarled marble
pathways to our huddled homes
ready to reward our ride

"Evening", says I
Not quite
But almost or t'will be soon enough
I have miles to go before I sleep
And You
eyes set hard against the wind

Nothing
The reply is empty
perhaps some enchanted song
Lies under that muffled headdress
(so like my own)
some ear plugged accompaniment

my eyes search for yours
swaddled like a bedouin prince
a narrow gap in black
framing determined orbs
in the fading light of dusk
they catch a moment

are You like Me
a look
a nod
a smile
a wink of recognition unreturned
Nothing

in this land of zeros
no heat
now warmed
by the chase
and the effort to pull away
left chilled

You are that me
in dependent s e p e r a t e
That sees no likeness
in a mirror of ice
A cold shoulder
to an even colder world

that No look
No nod
No smile
No wink of recognition
should pass between us?
Old 03-01-14, 01:05 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Interesting. I've felt kinship (I guess you would call it) with other riders, and have greeted them and been ignored. But just as many times I've been greeted in return. Cyclists are just people

EDIT: Nice poem, BTW. You expressed your thoughts very well.

Last edited by Mark Stone; 03-01-14 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Added Comment
Old 03-01-14, 04:33 AM
pyrtwist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see the same two people almost every day. Fortunately, they say hello and we even have exchanged names. Nothing like 30 below zerex and icy paths to build a bond. Great poem!
Old 03-01-14, 02:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
It is now March, and thank goodness for that. It means we won't have any more February snow storms this year.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-01-14, 02:40 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It is now March, and thank goodness for that. It means we won't have any more February snow storms this year.
Just a March one on Monday. Yuck, and it is supposed to stay cold too, so it won't melt right away. Spring isn't too far away, but the way things are going we'll have a blizzard on March 21.
Old 03-01-14, 03:02 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman

that No look
No nod
No smile
No wink of recognition
should pass between us?...

"Evening", says I
Not quite
But almost or t'will be soon enough
I have miles to go before I sleep
And You

Nothing
The reply is empty
perhaps some enchanted song
Lies under that muffled headdress
(so like my own)
some ear plugged accompaniment...

are You like Me
a look
a nod
a smile
a wink of recognition unreturned
Nothing

that No look
No nod
No smile
No wink of recognition
should pass between us?
I’m not really a poetry afficianado, but I did think that the sparse, almost clipped meter did capture the sharpness and no-nonsense tenor of a cold winter ride.

…Maybe it will make sense to someone other than me.
On 02-28-14, 10:13 PM, buzzman replied to this thread, “Am I only one smiling through the weather lately,” started by tsl

… like tsl I am, for the most part, totally digging this winter….

But tonight it was another cyclist who momentarily flattened the wind in my sails. I'm chalking it up to another one of winter's challenges and embracing it but still...
I read buzzman’s reply before I read the above poem (posted at 02-28-14, 09:50 PM). On the first read, I thought buzz was riding along thinking he was setting a torrid pace, and then got passed by someone riding a beach cruiser.

I’m sure you’re aware, buzz, that there have been occasional threads about greetings between cyclists, probably referrable to nice weather riding. The most recent to which I replied was “Greetings to/from other cyclists”:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I too have had several routine greeting encounters on my early morning commute over the years, and I have even learned some of their names when I have met them, usually other than on the commute…

If I don't know their names, I give them nicknames…It's always going to be a good day when I pass a runner going in the opposite direction known as the "The Fleet Goddess."

It's variable depending on the circumstances, but mostly I do. I have two special greetings besides a finger or hand wave. My most perfunctory is just to yell out a hearty "Yo," or "Ho" with no expectation of a reply if the other rider declines…

A few weeks ago on the Wall Street Journal this Morning radio talk show was a discussion about greetings among runners and cyclists out on the roads.The point I remember and seemed the strongest argument for a mutual greeting was to acknowledge each other as particularly vulnerable users of the road.
I don't really think about what other cyclists have on their mind as we pass each other, whether or not we exchange greetings. I certainly do agree that we cold weather cyclists are a special fraternity of brethren, as you posted in a prior thread about winter cycling:

Winter cyclists are definitely marching to the beat of a different drummer.
Did I get it?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-04-14 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-01-14, 08:50 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
On very cold winter days when I come across another cyclist there are often gestures of mutual respect exchanged.

On not so cold winter days there is this dude that keeps riding by me like I'm standing still. Last time he said "Hello" as he went by and I said "Good Morning" in return.

Next time he rides by, I'd like to push him over with my foot.

We're all brethren until the commuter race starts.

Last edited by tjspiel; 03-01-14 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-02-14, 04:05 PM
Jim from Boston

To my winter brethren

"Evening", says I…

And You

Nothing
The reply is empty…
… the strongest argument for a mutual greeting was to acknowledge each other as particularly vulnerable users of the road.

Originally Posted by alan s
I disagree. Nothing to do with vulnerability on the road. Waving is an indication that you are a member of an elite, secret subculture. Which is why I usually don't wave.

… I certainly do agree that we cold weather cyclists are a special fraternity of brethren
I would never claim to be PC, but as a self-proclaimed wordsmith, I was trying to figure a nongender specific term for "Brethren.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-04-14 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-02-14, 04:12 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Probably didn't hear you, and if he did, was too damned cold to reply. Some really cold rides are to be endured or survived, and aren't so much fun. I never assume someone else is in the same frame of mind as I am.
Old 03-02-14, 04:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by tjspiel
Don't be such a sourpuss. Some people just ride fast and don't mean to show off. I bet some people think I'm trying to make them feel bad. I just ride faster than most do. That's all.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-02-14, 06:17 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I would never claim to be PC, but as a self-proclaimed wordsmith, I was trying to figure a nongender specific term for "Bretheren.”
"Brethren" in an informal context can simply mean any person (of either gender) belonging to a particular group- especially when used ironically or humorously. In a more formal context it can mean a fellow pilgrim on a spiritual journey, usually male. I'm using it as a bit of both.

This was an experience about another person who dressed like me, had a bike like mine, looked like me, was a similar age and was of the same gender. That they were riding home from Boston on a very cold February evening at dusk across an open landscape where I see so few other cyclists made it all the more interesting to me. Like tsl in another thread I happen to find these winter rides exhilarating- otherwise, why do them?

Does this distinction make us, as alan s says, "a member of an elite, secret subculture."?

Recently I was out in a very remote region cross country skiing. It was stunningly majestic. Out of nowhere suddenly coming towards me was another skier. He was roughly my age, my height and build, similarly equipped and as he approached I wondered if there would be an exchange of greeting at all. It was the kind of challenging terrain that can leave you breathless from both its beauty and its changes in altitude. As it was we simultaneously stopped and I blurted out a "How ya' doin?". To which he replied the obvious, "Blissed out. How 'bout you?". "Exactly the same.", came my reply. We took the time for a brief chat, where he discovered that I was the same guy he sees doing the steep climb on my bike that leads to our hidden little town and the vast expanse of forest in which we found ourselves. (How he figured that out I have no idea.) It was the kind of small, simple exchange that has a resonance and a meaning for me. If I wished to be shielded from such encounters I would choose to travel by car or snowmobile, encased in steel or wrapped in a helmet with a plastic visor moving at higher speeds. Separated from my environment and my fellow travelers.

At the same time, I recognize that not every one who chooses to bike in the winter or travel in remote regions under their own power when the temperature is below zero wants any connection with a fellow traveler and I do respect that choice. I have no desire to impose sociability in a situation where an individual might very well wish to be as far from the madding crowd as possible.

I saw as much of myself in the other rider's non-response as I might have had he engaged in conversation.

"You are that me
That sees no likeness
in a mirror of ice
A cold shoulder
to an even colder world"

and yes, BTW, Jim, I do think "you got it."
Old 03-02-14, 08:22 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I'm just another schmuck out there going to or from work. Don't view myself as special because I'm on a bike. The real troopers are the folks who have the patience to endure the traffic around here in a car. Always amused that some people think I'm some kind of superhuman, able to survive the extremes of the outdoors. The reality is bike commuting is a welcome break from being indoors or in a car, and makes me feel alive. BTW, nice poem.
Old 03-02-14, 08:27 PM
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, now we get the March snow storms. Woo hoo.

To quote Homer J. "Lousy Smarch weather!"
Old 03-02-14, 09:12 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
On very cold winter days when I come across another cyclist there are often gestures of mutual respect exchanged.

On not so cold winter days there is this dude that keeps riding by me like I'm standing still. Last time he said "Hello" as he went by and I said "Good Morning" in return.

Next time he rides by, I'd like to push him over with my foot.

I'm wondering if it is the same guy who passes me occasionally. Most riders who pass me, I may be able to keep up with them for an 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, whatever - if I really suck it up. There's one guy that comes by me at least +5 mph, probably more. I can't match his pace for 2 seconds.

I think he said hello to me, though it was hard to tell, what with the Doppler effect and all.
Old 03-02-14, 09:44 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lean in thighs pressing down
A rounded staccato beat
just a hair faster now

OP you just supported my theory that anytime there are two cyclists going the same direction there is a bike race. Whether they both know it or not is another issue.
Old 03-02-14, 09:45 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
I'm just another schmuck out there going to or from work. Don't view myself as special because I'm on a bike. The real troopers are the folks who have the patience to endure the traffic around here in a car. Always amused that some people think I'm some kind of superhuman, able to survive the extremes of the outdoors. The reality is bike commuting is a welcome break from being indoors or in a car, and makes me feel alive. BTW, nice poem.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. Especially on days like this past Friday when I serenely glided past about 2000 cars trapped in a massive clusterfook. I admire their patience.
Old 03-03-14, 07:26 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
I like this post.
Old 03-03-14, 09:03 AM
tjspiel

Don't be such a sourpuss. Some people just ride fast and don't mean to show off. I bet some people think I'm trying to make them feel bad. I just ride faster than most do. That's all.
Oh, I wasn't being serious. I'm pretty sure I've met him since he has fairly distinctive bike. He's an alright guy and I'm sure he just likes to ride fast. Besides I'd feel horrible if I were ever to succumb to my darker thoughts and actually push him over.

Now if he were to fall of his own accord... Well, there's not much I would be able to do about that.
Old 03-03-14, 09:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

My humor detector is often defective.

Old 03-03-14, 12:13 PM
Jim from Boston

I would never claim to be PC, but as a self-proclaimed wordsmith, I was trying to figure a nongender specific term for "Brethren.”

"Brethren" in an informal context can simply mean any person (of either gender) belonging to a particular group- especially when used ironically or humorously.
Like “mankind”?

… BTW, Jim, I do think "you got it."…

It was the kind of small, simple exchange that has a resonance and a meaning for me. If I wished to be shielded from such encounters I would choose to travel by car or snowmobile, encased in steel or wrapped in a helmet with a plastic visor moving at higher speeds. Separated from my environment and my fellow travelers.
I was looking forward to your explanation since I was surprised at reading a nicely crafted poem about just an apparent snub on the bikepath.

I too have had several routine greeting encounters on my early morning commute over the years, and I have even learned some of their names when I have met them, usually other than on the commute…

If I don't know their names, I give them nicknames…
One regular commuter in the opposite direction was “Good buddy.” One day after about one year, I was stopped adjusting something and he stopped. We exchanged information about destinations, and eventually about each other on E-mails periodically over a couple more years, even after we no longer encountered each other on the commute (he stopped).

…I have two special greetings besides a finger or hand wave. My most perfunctory is just to yell out a hearty "Yo," or "Ho" with no expectation of a reply if the other rider declines.

When I have the chance to meet up and speak to a "serious" cyclist," I like to mention about Bikeforums, since I am an avid fan as a self-described serious cyclist myself. These exchanges are often brief, and it's hard to explain BF, and its varied subforums quickly to a total stranger; and the URL of Bikeforums.net. as a plural, and .net instead of .com as the domain name can easily be forgotten.

So I made up some business-type greeting cards as illustrated…[see link for further details if interested.]

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-04-14 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-03-14, 12:28 PM
tjspiel

"Brethren" in an informal context can simply mean any person (of either gender) belonging to a particular group- especially when used ironically or humorously. In a more formal context it can mean a fellow pilgrim on a spiritual journey, usually male. I'm using it as a bit of both.

This was an experience about another person who dressed like me, had a bike like mine, looked like me, was a similar age and was of the same gender. That they were riding home from Boston on a very cold February evening at dusk across an open landscape where I see so few other cyclists made it all the more interesting to me. Like tsl in another thread I happen to find these winter rides exhilarating- otherwise, why do them?

Does this distinction make us, as alan s says, "a member of an elite, secret subculture."?

Recently I was out in a very remote region cross country skiing. It was stunningly majestic. Out of nowhere suddenly coming towards me was another skier. He was roughly my age, my height and build, similarly equipped and as he approached I wondered if there would be an exchange of greeting at all. It was the kind of challenging terrain that can leave you breathless from both its beauty and its changes in altitude. As it was we simultaneously stopped and I blurted out a "How ya' doin?". To which he replied the obvious, "Blissed out. How 'bout you?". "Exactly the same.", came my reply. We took the time for a brief chat, where he discovered that I was the same guy he sees doing the steep climb on my bike that leads to our hidden little town and the vast expanse of forest in which we found ourselves. (How he figured that out I have no idea.) It was the kind of small, simple exchange that has a resonance and a meaning for me. If I wished to be shielded from such encounters I would choose to travel by car or snowmobile, encased in steel or wrapped in a helmet with a plastic visor moving at higher speeds. Separated from my environment and my fellow travelers.

At the same time, I recognize that not every one who chooses to bike in the winter or travel in remote regions under their own power when the temperature is below zero wants any connection with a fellow traveler and I do respect that choice. I have no desire to impose sociability in a situation where an individual might very well wish to be as far from the madding crowd as possible.

I saw as much of myself in the other rider's non-response as I might have had he engaged in conversation.

"You are that me
That sees no likeness
in a mirror of ice
A cold shoulder
to an even colder world"

and yes, BTW, Jim, I do think "you got it."
FWIW, I'm often lost in my own little world while on my commute. Though I wouldn't deliberately ignore a greeting from another cyclist (my mother raised me better than that), it's very real possibility that a bike wouldn't register as anything more than another (moving) obstacle to be avoided. I've exchanged a few pleasantries with people while stopped at an intersection but for the most part I see my commute as a twice a day retreat into my head and/or a chance to get in a work out rather than as an opportunity for a social encounter.

Very cold days are a little different and I'll often find myself counting the number of other bikes I see.

Last edited by tjspiel; 03-03-14 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 12:36 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
I think either Friday or Saturday evening I was on my way out for a pint and saw two people on mountain bikes coming up the hill toward me, it was 12F. As I passed they gave me a hand wave, but since I was kinda surprised anyone else was out I wasn't ready to wave back.
Old 03-03-14, 12:58 PM
Jim from Boston

FWIW, I'm often lost in my own little world while on my commute. Though I wouldn't deliberately ignore a greeting from another cyclist (my mother raised me better than that), it's very real possibility that a bike wouldn't register as anything more than another (moving) obstacle to be avoided...but for the most part I see my commute as a twice a day retreat into my head and/or a chance to get in a work out rather than as an opportunity for a social encounter...
I posted to the recent commuter thread, "How often do you commute in the dark?"

...My early morning dark commute is from about November til March, and other than the cold weather, I enjoy the dark commute. The auto traffic is markedly diminished, particularly in my reverse commute direction from downtown to a suburb. I hunker down in my mind in a state I call "cocooning," and become oblivious to everything but the Road and my thoughts. Also because it's dark, I can't tell how gloomy the sky might be, unlike in the dawn's early light.
In daylight, my mind is more wide open.
Old 03-04-14, 02:19 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting post. I am very much an introvert. I don't talk much, I'm nothing like my wife who greets just about everyone when we're out riding and can make new friends anywhere. Me, I just tend toward ignoring everybody and feeling lots of distance and a degree of arrogance and animosity. But I don't think I'm much different from most guys who like to ride bikes, and I think this distance and arrogance is just a reflection of the vibes I get from most guys I see out riding. I'm sure that if I knew the guy who was going by, I'd be quite friendly and open, but for most guys I don't know, my attitude is just "f- off!" under my breath! Bike commuting tends to be quite competitive for those who are just naturally socially insecure, at least that's my experience, so this is something that those who tend to be more social need to understand. I and lots of other guys ride bikes because we're too socially dysfunctional to join sports teams. We hate everybody; we don't like greeting anybody, unless we know them, and by the time recognition sets in, it's too late, they're way down the road in the other direction!

So that's my excuse for not responding to your cheery wave. It's not personal!

Luis
Old 03-04-14, 03:09 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
Interesting post. I am very much an introvert. I don't talk much, I'm nothing like my wife who greets just about everyone when we're out riding and can make new friends anywhere. Me, I just tend toward ignoring everybody and feeling lots of distance and a degree of arrogance and animosity. But I don't think I'm much different from most guys who like to ride bikes, and I think this distance and arrogance is just a reflection of the vibes I get from most guys I see out riding. I'm sure that if I knew the guy who was going by, I'd be quite friendly and open, but for most guys I don't know, my attitude is just "f- off!" under my breath! Bike commuting tends to be quite competitive for those who are just naturally socially insecure, at least that's my experience, so this is something that those who tend to be more social need to understand. I and lots of other guys ride bikes because we're too socially dysfunctional to join sports teams. We hate everybody; we don't like greeting anybody, unless we know them, and by the time recognition sets in, it's too late, they're way down the road in the other direction!

So that's my excuse for not responding to your cheery wave. It's not personal!

Luis
I suppose you could put people on a scale in terms of how much social interaction with strangers they'd want while commuting. I'd probably fall right between you and buzzman. I'm not looking for it but wouldn't avoid it as long it was quick. I'm chronically in a hurry.

I don't feel any animosity towards other riders (or drivers for that matter) unless they've done something dangerous or were just plain rude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.