Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Wolftooth Roadlink experiences?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 03-05-16, 04:24 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone here have a Wolftooth Roadlink on their gravel bike? How is the shifting and does it create any extra chain noise?

RoadLink ? wolftoothcomponents.com

Thanks, interested in putting this on a gravel bike so I can run a 46/34 crank and Shimano 11-40.
Old 03-17-16, 07:12 PM
natemeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got it earlier this week and finally found time to put it on, along with a 11-40 rear derailleur. Had to readjust my rear derailleur a little bit but it shifted smoothly afterwards. I'm dying to get out on the trails now. I have 50-34 in the front, so 46-34 should work just fine.

Originally Posted by KonaRider125
Does anyone here have a Wolftooth Roadlink on their gravel bike? How is the shifting and does it create any extra chain noise?

Thanks, interested in putting this on a gravel bike so I can run a 46/34 crank and Shimano 11-40.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160317_171029.jpg (108.4 KB, 1143 views)
Old 03-17-16, 11:04 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing your experience. Please let us know how it works out on the first ride.
Old 03-18-16, 06:22 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by natemeister
Got it earlier this week and finally found time to put it on, along with a 11-40 rear derailleur. Had to readjust my rear derailleur a little bit but it shifted smoothly afterwards. I'm dying to get out on the trails now. I have 50-34 in the front, so 46-34 should work just fine.

I'm curious to see how this works for you, because you're way over capacity with that set up aren't you? I'm assuming from your picture you've got a RD-6800-GS, which has a 37T capacity, and (50-34) + (40-11) = 45T. Shimano capacities are conservative, but still.
Old 03-18-16, 08:45 AM
natemeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me too. So far, I took it out to a parking lot to clear up the shifting and was able to smoothly access 34 (front) and the entire range in the rear (40-11). With large in the front (50), I could only access 11-35, it wouldn't go up to 40 unless I was in the small ring. So unless I am severely cross-chaining (50-40), it shifted just fine. I biked 10 miles in today to work with this new set up and no hiccups

Originally Posted by dr_lha
I'm curious to see how this works for you, because you're way over capacity with that set up aren't you? I'm assuming from your picture you've got a RD-6800-GS, which has a 37T capacity, and (50-34) + (40-11) = 45T. Shimano capacities are conservative, but still.
Old 03-18-16, 09:05 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Me too. So far, I took it out to a parking lot to clear up the shifting and was able to smoothly access 34 (front) and the entire range in the rear (40-11). With large in the front (50), I could only access 11-35, it wouldn't go up to 40 unless I was in the small ring. So unless I am severely cross-chaining (50-40), it shifted just fine. I biked 10 miles in today to work with this new set up and no hiccups
Yep, that's about what I'd expect. How did you determine the size of your chain? Usually it'd be based on the two largest gears, but that would give you a lot of slop when in a small/small configuration.
Old 03-18-16, 09:12 AM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 5,400 Times in 2,796 Posts
Interesting device.
I might try it some time.

BTW on the chain wrap issue: The chain does *not* need to be tight on the small/small combo. In fact, I've seen issues where a chain would try to crawl off the side of the lower pulley in the big/big combo because the pulley was pulled so far forward that it was no longer in the plane of the chain. Think about it; when the lower arm of the RD swings forward in a cross-chaining situation, it is staying in the plane of the currently-engaged cog, which moves it away from the plane of the chain as it swings forward.

The solution is to just make the chain long enough that there is slack in the small/small combo. There is absolutely no problem with this; All the gears will work just fine. I have 2 bikes set up they way.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 03-18-16 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-18-16, 09:16 AM
natemeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I physically aligned it using the larger rings of both. I purchased a 118L chain and took one off. There is only slight rubbing at 34 (front) - 40 (rear). I have an extra chain now, so maybe try 116L and see if it fits.

Originally Posted by dr_lha
Yep, that's about what I'd expect. How did you determine the size of your chain? Usually it'd be based on the two largest gears, but that would give you a lot of slop when in a small/small configuration.
Old 04-10-16, 07:32 PM
GodinSession

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I just ordered a roadlink also. I have a 105 11speed setup with a 50/34 compact crank. I ordered a sram pg1170 11-36 cassette to give me a better grany gear. I expect it to work great! I will report back later this week once i get it installed and have a ride on it.
Old 04-10-16, 10:21 PM
natemeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should work fine. Been riding 50/34 with 11/32 and 11/40 in the rear, no problems at all. Love the flexibility and for trail riding and commuting.

Originally Posted by GodinSession
I just ordered a roadlink also. I have a 105 11speed setup with a 50/34 compact crank. I ordered a sram pg1170 11-36 cassette to give me a better grany gear. I expect it to work great! I will report back later this week once i get it installed and have a ride on it.
Old 04-15-16, 03:29 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Question to those with more technical experience with this product, do you think it will work with the new Sram eTap derailleur. That derailleur is advertised to be used with a 28t max cassette. Should I buy the groupset, I would like to use a larger cassette (e.g., 36t) for gravel-riding and light touring.
Old 06-06-17, 08:14 AM
Hisamatsu

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How long is your chain? I sized my new KMC-X11SL chain and only had to remove 2 links on a 46/36 + 11-40. It was pretty tight on big-big. If I did 50/34 not sure I'd have enough chain length.

Last edited by Hisamatsu; 06-06-17 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-06-17, 09:04 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaRider125

A friend of mine had one installed (unknown to her) by a LBS to accommodate a larger cassette on her 1x setup. It started dropping chains immediately.

I replaced her DR and that thing with a SRAM Apex1 DR and all good since.
Old 06-06-17, 09:08 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
A friend of mine had one installed (unknown to her) by a LBS to accommodate a larger cassette on her 1x setup. It started dropping chains immediately.

Clutch type derailleur ftw
Old 06-06-17, 03:11 PM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
Question to those with more technical experience with this product, do you think it will work with the new Sram eTap derailleur. That derailleur is advertised to be used with a 28t max cassette. Should I buy the groupset, I would like to use a larger cassette (e.g., 36t) for gravel-riding and light touring.
i thought the wifli version of the etap rear der was out soon or already...which should get you to 32
Old 06-06-17, 05:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 468 Posts

My guess is that the Wolf Tooth wasn't the problem.

Many, many people ride them every day without issues including some very hardcore gravel racers.

-Tim-
Old 06-06-17, 07:28 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
My guess is that the Wolf Tooth wasn't the problem.

Many, many people ride them every day without issues including some very hardcore gravel racers.

-Tim-
It was part of the problem for sure. The real issue was the guy choosing the combination of components.
Old 06-06-17, 08:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

It was part of the problem for sure. The real issue was the guy choosing the combination of components.
I'm interested to hear more about how the Wolf Tooth caused the chain to drop.

Not trying to challenge but sincerely asking because I almost went with one but didn't need it in the end. A Wolf Tooth is not out of the question for me in the future.

Can you elaborate?

-Tim-
Old 06-06-17, 09:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
It just lowers the derailleur by a couple cm...was the hanger bent on the frame or something? It basically makes thw setup a long cage for a larget tooth difference...not sure how that makes a chain jump?
Old 06-07-17, 06:52 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Can you elaborate?
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It just lowers the derailleur by a couple cm...was the hanger bent on the frame or something? It basically makes thw setup a long cage for a larget tooth difference...not sure how that makes a chain jump?
The guy at her (previous) LBS threw together a bunch of shop bin parts and tried to pass it off as a true 1x setup. First he had her on a Shimano 9 speed MTB DR, then tried to put her on an old SRAM Apex DR with this extender. None of them were meant to work together in a 1x configuration and they didn't. Both configs dropped chains for her repeatedly, to the point that she was ready to stop riding altogether. The sad part is he talked her into moving from a fully functional 2x groupset to this mess.

If you've had any experience with 1x stuff, you probably know that a reliable 1x setup is typically built around purpose specific components. I only got involved because he stopped helping her. Once I dumped that stuff and got her a true 1x DR, her problems ended and she's happily riding again. After wasting hundreds of dollars with his shop bin BS, the fix was a $65 1x specific DR.

Maybe this extender works great in 2x setups, but trying to make a short cage road DR work reliably in a 1x config with it did not for her. She has all the parts that didn't work on her bike in a box somewhere, I'm sure she would sell you hers if you want it
Old 06-07-17, 07:47 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Thanks for the explanation.

Based on what you wrote however, I still don't see how the Wolf Tooth was the root or exclusive cause of the dropped chain.

-Tim-
Old 06-07-17, 08:00 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
The guy at her (previous) LBS threw together a bunch of shop bin parts and tried to pass it off as a true 1x setup. First he had her on a Shimano 9 speed MTB DR, then tried to put her on an old SRAM Apex DR with this extender. None of them were meant to work together in a 1x configuration and they didn't. Both configs dropped chains for her repeatedly, to the point that she was ready to stop riding altogether. The sad part is he talked her into moving from a fully functional 2x groupset to this mess.

If you've had any experience with 1x stuff, you probably know that a reliable 1x setup is typically built around purpose specific components. I only got involved because he stopped helping her. Once I dumped that stuff and got her a true 1x DR, her problems ended and she's happily riding again. After wasting hundreds of dollars with his shop bin BS, the fix was a $65 1x specific DR.

Maybe this extender works great in 2x setups, but trying to make a short cage road DR work reliably in a 1x config with it did not for her. She has all the parts that didn't work on her bike in a box somewhere, I'm sure she would sell you hers if you want it
all that could have been fixed with a $20 chain guide or $5 FD
Old 06-07-17, 08:05 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
all that could have been fixed with a $20 chain guide or $5 FD
She wanted it done right.
Old 06-07-17, 08:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts

Ok, so this may sound like arguing, it really isnt. I am just curious how the piece of machined aluminum caused all this when the company advertises it for 1x setups and I have seen a few 1x setups using the Roadlink(they werent in use, but itd be dumb to have it if it didnt work).

- So the woman's bike had a 9sp Shimano RD which means Shimano shifting too. That didnt work.
- SRAM Apex 10sp was then installed, so presumably a SRAM shifter too since they need to be mated together. That didnt work.
- So then a SRAM Apex1 11sp was installed. This required yet another new shifter. And now it works.

Am I understanding all this?

1- Why arent shifters swaps included in all this hassle and cost talk?...or have the shifters not changed somehow as brand and speeds changed?
2- Was the crankset a 1x specific with a 1x ring?
3- Was a $25 chainguide ever used? Wouldnt that have solved everything?

4- After all this, I havent seen anything specific to the Wolftooth. Again- they make this product in part so people can run 1x with road derailleurs.

Your friend's issues had to have been frustrating. Why someone went to 1x when their 2x worked perfectly is...odd, but hey- variety is the spice of life, i guess.
Why a derailleur extender on a cobbled together 1x setup without a simple chainguide or 1x crankset is being blamed for chain dropping is...odd.

Yeah, all that got argumentative. It really isnt, its just sarcastic and unbelieving. I know, i know, you were there and I(we) werent. And now that the Roadlink is gone, it all works properly. That doesnt mean the Roadlink was the issue.
I wouldnt do a gravel 1x setup as its too limiting for how and where I ride, but if I were to build one, it would be with proper components to ensure the chain doesnt drop. A 1x chainring and a chainguide. I wouldnt have to then change my derailleur and shifter twice.
Old 06-07-17, 08:17 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
She wanted it done right.
How is a chain guide not a correct solution? Plenty of pros use them. Shimano still doesn;t have a proper clutch RD yet plenty run them without chain drops. There are alot of solutions that don't involved a new RD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.