Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you pay the whole MSRP upfront for a bike you ask your bike shop to order?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 06:30 PM
borgey007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've decided on an E-Bike (Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Comp 6Fattie). Its MSRP is $7,169 CAN (total price including tax approximately $8,000 CAN).

The bike shop does not have the bike on the floor (ie in stock). To order the bike, the shop wants me to pay the full price upfront.

I expected they would only ask for a deposit.

2 out of 2 bikes I previously asked a bike shop to order came with paint ships. I hadn't paid the full price upfront for those bikes, and in both cases the manufacturer discounted the bikes 10 or 20% to compensate for the paint chips.

I'm afraid to pay the full price upfront, for the bike shop to order the bike.
If the bike should arrive with any defects, I would have no clout. The shop said I need to "have faith" and "trust". They refused even to consider writing a contract.

This is the most expensive bike I will purchase.
If you want a bike that your bike shop does not have in stock,
for the shop to order the bike, do you pay the full price upfront first?
Old 12-17-17, 06:39 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Do you have any options? If so, go there, or at least think very carefully about it. If you did, I'd certainly tell this shop why you went elsewhere. Basically, they are being unreasonable. I accept that if they buy the bike and then you refuse to take it, they're stuck with stock they can't shift, but they are in a retail business and some risk is part of the game. A solid deposit (10 or 20%) is reasonable, full price isn't.

This shop might also ponder the amount of small business they are going to lose as you'll now be well inclined to shop online.
Old 12-17-17, 06:43 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
Do you have any options? If so, go there, or at least think very carefully about it. If you did, I'd certainly tell this shop why you went elsewhere. Basically, they are being unreasonable. I accept that if they buy the bike and then you refuse to take it, they're stuck with stock they can't shift, but they are in a retail business and some risk is part of the game. A solid deposit (10 or 20%) is reasonable, full price isn't.

This shop might also ponder the amount of small business they are going to lose as you'll now be well inclined to shop online.
The usual bike markup is 35%, so a $1000 bike is going to cost the shop $650. If the shop collects a $200 and the bike doesn't sell, that's a $450 loss.

Some oddball stuff is not going to fit the standard 20% deposit model when you factor in shipping and rapidly changing technology.
Old 12-17-17, 06:51 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
$8000? Are you paying cash in this amount? If you pay with a credit card you should have more protection through the credit card company.
Old 12-17-17, 07:05 PM
Robertpicardo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by borgey007
I've decided on an E-Bike (Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Comp 6Fattie). Its MSRP is $7,169 CAN (total price including tax approximately $8,000 CAN).

The bike shop does not have the bike on the floor (ie in stock). To order the bike, the shop wants me to pay the full price upfront.

2 out of 2 bikes I previously asked a bike shop to order came with paint ships. I hadn't paid the full price upfront for those bikes, and in both cases the manufacturer discounted the bikes 10 or 20% to compensate for the paint chips.

If the bike should arrive with any defects, I would have no clout. The shop said I need to "have faith" and "trust". They refused even to consider writing a contract.

Shop or search online for a better price, and use PAYPAL IF AVAILABLE. And make sure they will pay for return shipping if damaged. IMO . If you buy a big screen tv or similar item it's always pay in full.
Just research the credibility and return policy, also check reviews. PayPal protects your purchase and identity. PayPal will also freeze the money if there's a dispute.. Good luck
Old 12-17-17, 07:23 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
My feeling is that if they are asking you to pay in full when ordering, they are demanding that you extend them credit. Just my opinion, but that doesn't sound reasonable.
Old 12-17-17, 07:27 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Contact Specialized and ask if this is allowed by their dealer contracts.
ridercare@specialized.com
877-808-8154
Old 12-17-17, 07:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
My general rule is to NEVER pay 100% in advance for anything. Of course, I have to make exceptions to that to buy anything by mail.

But, for a bike you're special ordering through a dealer, full payment makes no sense at all, and just the asking for that would be a turn off for me.

The fact of the matter is that a deposit of about 65% or so makes the dealer 100% whole for any outlay of financial exposure should you change your mind. That assumes he simply puts the refused bike on the curb with the trash. A reasonable deposit of 20-30% would fairly compensate him for a potential loss if you cancel, and that's all he should ask for.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-17-17, 08:38 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The retailer's mantra is "money now." Collect as much as you can as soon as you can. That doesn't mean that you have to do it.

I'd assume they want to sell the bike as much as you want to buy the bike. Tell them that you don't want to pay anything until you see the bike but you're willing to pay half down now for them to place the order.
Old 12-17-17, 08:43 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
This was about 7 years ago now, but when I commissioned the Hillbrick, he asked for 30% deposit. Note, this was a custom made frame (plus components, it was an entire bike) and my requirements were rather different to the racing bikes that make the bulk of his business, so making the frame and having me bail out was quite a risk for him.

As I said earlier, full price up front is a no deal if you have other choices.
Old 12-17-17, 08:44 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by TruthBomb
I ordered two custom spec bikes this year from the same shop. 50% deposit at time of order, balance paid when I picked them up.

It’s odd that the shop is asking for full payment up front.

I would recommend that you find another Specialized dealer in your area (since they aren’t sold online - dealer agreement).
To clarify.. they can be sold online.. they just can't be shipped; you have to pick up your bike.
Old 12-17-17, 08:47 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 1,023 Posts
The other factor in this is whether the dealer has $5000 in December to front for you.
Old 12-17-17, 09:36 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
My lbs has you Pay up front for custom order over 3$ or something they don’t stock. Everything else is 50% down and other half when you pick it up. 8k is a lot of money for a bike shop to front I can understand why they would require the upfront payment.

Have you checked any other dealers in the area?
Old 12-17-17, 10:45 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
When I bought my last bike, they had to order it. The shop guys were talking about whether they should charge a deposit, IIRC it was 20%. They decided that if I didn't want the bike after it arrived, the bike was a size, color and model they could sell and they did not ask for a deposit.

A bike shop that makes a special order and is stuck with the product if the buyer changes their mind needs to protect themselves. And an $8000 bike is a huge cost for the shop. I can understand that they might be of the mindset of "you purchase the bike and we'll order it".
Old 12-18-17, 12:30 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
My feeling is that if they are asking you to pay in full when ordering, they are demanding that you extend them credit. Just my opinion, but that doesn't sound reasonable.
Certainly seems that way, huh?

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Contact Specialized and ask if this is allowed by their dealer contracts.
ridercare@specialized.com
877-808-8154
They probably won't have an opinion on that.

I ordered a Specialized bike sight unseen with a "non refundable $200 cash deposit." I told them I'm fully committed to buying the bike but must hold final payment until delivery. I further stated that I'd be willing to sacrifice my deposit if I failed to take delivery for any reason other than damage to the bike. If the bike was delivered to me scratch and dent free, I own it. If it was pristine and I refused delivery, they can keep my money to offset their risk. If they got stuck with the bike they could discount it by at least the $200 and still make money. I have a long history with this particular LBS so that helped. I still own the bike.

-Kedosto
Old 12-18-17, 03:06 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by borgey007

I ordered my Toughroad SLR2 and I put down about 50% of the cost
Old 12-18-17, 04:38 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
It says a lot about the bike shop.
Old 12-18-17, 06:11 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I paid my special order Domane ($3500) upfront, but my memory of the transaction is that my LBS would have taken a deposit...might have been different on an $8K bike, though.
Old 12-18-17, 06:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Kedosto
They probably won't have an opinion on that.

I ordered a Specialized bike sight unseen with a "non refundable $200 cash deposit." I told them I'm fully committed to buying the bike but must hold final payment until delivery. I further stated that I'd be willing to sacrifice my deposit if I failed to take delivery for any reason other than damage to the bike. If the bike was delivered to me scratch and dent free, I own it. If it was pristine and I refused delivery, they can keep my money to offset their risk. If they got stuck with the bike they could discount it by at least the $200 and still make money. I have a long history with this particular LBS so that helped. I still own the bike.

-Kedosto
I would hope that you and the OP were/are pretty sure on the bike size being correct? For the OP, I'd hope he's had a chance to ride a model that is somewhat reasonably close to what he'd be ordering. I'd probably still call Spesh to discuss how "I'm really interested in buying the certain model bike, buy my LBS wants $8K just to get it in to look at it, and then I'd own it.. what do you suggest?"

How to order and pay for a custom Lamborghini
https://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbfo...570-post9.html

Last edited by Sy Reene; 12-18-17 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-18-17, 07:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
One thing about an independent business is that they can exercise discretion in dealing with individual customers. This is an item that is very likely to go unsold if they order it for you and you back out. If this is the same shop where you twice renegotiated the price after delivery (right or wrong, no judgement) or they have otherwise perceived a less than reliable customer, they may be willing to make this sale only with extra protection for themselves. Obviously they can't make a habit of turning away business, and dealing with fringe customers is inherent to retail. Sometimes though.... Anyway, your choice seems to be their terms or go elsewhere. Post a review in the ebike section if you do end up with it.
Old 12-18-17, 07:23 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
so, you want to pay a small deposit, order an 8 thousand dollar bike, and have the option to refuse delivery upon inspection, thus sticking the shop with a bike that will NEVER sell?

wth is an e bike anyway, isn't that a MOPED?

I can see the shop's position, but also yours, tough situation
Old 12-18-17, 07:26 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I don't understand the problem.

You're going to pay the full retail price before you take it home. Why does it matter if that's today or 2 weeks from now?

The bike has a warranty. (And if an $8000 bike doesn't have a warranty, walk away now) So if something on it is botched up they'll have to fix it. And if it arrives damaged that's not your problem and you can refuse delivery.

If you're buying it on a credit card (and there is no earthly reason why you'd ever write an $8000 check that offers you no protections whatsoever) you have all kinds of buyer protections in the event that it arrives damaged and the shop is a jerk about it. My credit card offers 90 day full return for refund capabilities even if the retailer doesn't offer returns at all. It's a hassle to deal with it, but it's a protection built into the card. For something like $100 they have an insurance plan that pays the card holder for the return. For something like $8000 they will call the store and work out a deal with the store.
Old 12-18-17, 07:27 AM
forresterace
Senior Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1990 Fiori Firenze)

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Not one of those who replied with opinions, took the trouble to look where the OP lives - Yellowknife, Northwest Territories (NWT).
I would think that is a factor in the bike shop's business dealings.

Last edited by forresterace; 12-18-17 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-18-17, 08:04 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I agree with everyone here, paying full price is a little much. Yet, there is a little more to this story. If you your location is correct, then that must play into why the bike shop wants full price. You know very well what it costs to bring goods into the middle of the tundra. Again you know the people of the north play buy a different set of rules than even us here in southern Canada. It takes a lot to have a bike shipped to Yellowknife and the bike shop may not want to carry the costs of bike that expensive when they most likely deal in more inexpensive bikes.

With that said I still wouldn't pay full price but I would expect to pay at least 80%.

The red X is Yellowknife.
Attached Images
File Type: png
Capture.PNG (902.7 KB, 200 views)
Old 12-18-17, 08:38 AM
forresterace
Senior Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1990 Fiori Firenze)

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Goofy is as goofy does. Don't blame me for your smartphone's shortcomings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.