Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2000-mile roadtrip w/ bike? (And not in the car)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 12:45 PM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Our family vacation returns to the beautiful Rocky Mountains this year, and I'm really keen to get some riding in (or at least attempt to, given that my conditioning is in flat ole TX). Since I drive a sedan and it'll be the four of us, carrying the bike inside the car will not be possible. I have the option of either my Seasucker or a cheaper Allen trunk mount. My assumption is that the Allen rack (strapped in properly, ofc) will be the preferred option (better aerodynamics, fewer bugs, easier to "lock down," somewhat better protection, etc). My concern, however, is just the mere act of carrying a bike on a car that many miles. I've already decided that my nice bike stays home, so I'll be taking my old Trek 1500, but I'm still not sure if I'm asking for it. Rentals look to be out of the question, so it's this or just miss out on a chance to ride in "RoMo." Thoughts? Past experiences? etc.

Last edited by TXCiclista; 04-30-19 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 12:57 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
By 'rentals' I take it you mean rental bikes, right? How about renting a different vehicle, like a capacious van?
Old 04-30-19, 01:01 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I've done two cross country moves and assisted a friend with a third, all in old sedans using the cheapest Saris trunk rack that money could buy. My own moves were 2,000 and 1,200 miles respectively, with two bikes, and my friend's was 2,100 miles with one bike.

Here are the main things I've noticed:
  • Things might start to shift around after the first 50-100 miles on the interstate. That's a good time to stop and adjust everything; after that, it should be pretty stable. I've used some additional security (bungees, etc.) in addition to the mechanisms of the trunk rack.
  • Pedals can move around and scratch up the bumper of the car. It might be prudent to remove the pedals.
  • Trunk racks can be a PITA to install and remove. If possible, it might be prudent to have supplies for the day not in the trunk so that the rack can be installed/removed as few times as possible.
  • Bikes do not really make the load much wider (maybe by a few inches) and only minimally, if at all, affect gas mileage.
  • Don't worry if the wheels are spinning around in the breeze; that's just what they do!
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 04-30-19, 07:56 PM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks @wipekitty

Originally Posted by rollagain
By 'rentals' I take it you mean rental bikes, right? How about renting a different vehicle, like a capacious van?
Yeah, rental bikes. Car/van rental is out of the budget

Last edited by TXCiclista; 05-01-19 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 03:03 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I got a hitch rack when my wife got her Prius and couldn't strap a rack on the hatch, then got a hitch when I got a new car. I've carried bikes 1,000 miles each way for at least three trips, and 500 miles each way for a bunch more. Carry some chain lube in case you drive through a downpour, and lube the brake pivots, shifters, and cables if that happens. Wipe the bike down when you arrive. Unless someone rear-ends you (or the bike falls off the rack, or something like that) the bike will work when you get there and when you get home as well.

Unlike @wipekitty, I bungee the wheels so they don't flop and spin. It drives me nuts watching that in the rear view mirror.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-01-19, 03:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
2000 miles riding the bicycle?

I haven't used racks a lot. Bikes have generally gone inside. I do occasionally go with Mom, and will bring the Bike Friday in a suitcase (inside of the car).

Roof Rack?

What about a trailer hitch rack?
Old 05-01-19, 03:39 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I also have done numerous trips of 1000 miles each way with a variety of trunk/hatchback type bike carriers. The only thing that has happened to the bikes were some minor scratches, got soaking wet and very dirty. Vehicles have also had some minor scratching. I take a look at the bikes, carriers and all straps/tie downs every time I stop for any reason. Give a tug/pull on all of those things also and tighten or adjust as needed. As for quality and safety and solid anchoring, a hitch mount carrier is the best type, IMO. For trunk/hatchback, I like Saris.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 05-02-19, 06:51 AM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would use a hitch mount if I could (I have a nice Saris), but the hitch will be used for a luggage "tray," so that's out.

Many thanks for all the replies, everyone!
Old 05-02-19, 07:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
You can always get a cheap, plastic tarp from Walmart or an Army Navy Store for some protection from the elements. Bungee cords attached to the grommets to keep it in place.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-02-19, 07:10 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by TXCiclista
Thoughts?
Bike & helmet:

Old 05-02-19, 07:46 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
A sedan carrying 4 people and a platform on your hitch for "stuff" plus your bike? You're going on a family vacation in the United States of WalMart, not the Lewis and Clark expedition. It is my opinion that you're going to be taking too much stuff if you need a hitch platform. (I will concede I don't know the specific requirements of your family and you may have family members that insist on a different pair of shoes for each hour of the day!. Also, you may have a family member with special needs--beyond your need to ride your bike.)

Trunk rack is fine and will probably be easier on fuel economy. I'd suggest that if you're going to be away from and out of sight of the car and bike for any length of time, locking the bike in the car may be a prudent move. I travel a bunch with a bike on a rack and have never had problems but I have hauled bikes into motel rooms and generally secure them with locks at all times. Several years ago while on a trip, I was rear-ended, destroying a bike on a trunk rack and doing substantial damage to the rental car I was driving. Getting insurance to replace the bike was a big pain.

Having your own bike to ride while traveling is wonderful. Few rental places have bikes that I've enjoyed riding and the hassle of lining up opening and closing hours of rental shops with the places and times I would prefer to ride are hassles I'd rather avoid.

However, be brutally honest in assessing your plans. Will you be able to break away from your traveling companions to enjoy your cycling segments? Keeping everyone happy is often tough and don't take it for granted that your traveling companions will happily bend to your desire to ride your bike. They may bend but less than joyfully and everyone may pay a high price.

Hope you're able to take the bike and that you and your family have a harmonious and happy time.
Likes For honcho:
Old 05-02-19, 09:31 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
They make combo cargo carriers/bike racks. Get 2 birds stoned at once.
https://www.discountramps.com/hitch-...RoCAGsQAvD_BwE
Likes For Yendor72:
Old 05-02-19, 09:45 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You can always get a cheap, plastic tarp from Walmart or an Army Navy Store for some protection from the elements. Bungee cords attached to the grommets to keep it in place.
I would be a little worried about a tarp (and even the bungee cords themselves) flapping around at highway speeds. If it flaps against the bike or car, it'll damage the finish pretty quickly.

This dilemma is the main reason why, when we buy a new car, we always choose something that will hold a bicycle and cargo. The car need not be that large: our 2007 Honda Fit looked tiny, but it would hold a bike, tools, spare wheelset, luggage, and the three of us for a weekend trip to a bike race. It was a little tight, but it worked -- and it got about 38 mpg on the interstate.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-02-19, 12:33 PM
bubish

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Renegade, 2016 Specialized Camber, 2008 Trek 1.5, 1989 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Specialized Allez, 1970 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
  • Pedals can move around and scratch up the bumper of the car. It might be prudent to remove the pedals.
Can koozies make great pedal covers!
Likes For bubish:
Old 05-02-19, 12:48 PM
CliffordK

You could also go with a rooftop cargo box.

There are quite a few different sizes and shapes. And, they often show up used for a fraction of the new cost.

That could free up your hitch for the bike.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-02-19, 12:51 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by tcs
Bike & helmet:

Whew, that is COMPACT!!!

Is that a Brompton?

My Bike Friday suitcase takes up half the back end of Mom's Prius. She doesn't like greasy stuff in her car, but perhaps one could do a soft duffel around the Brompton.
Old 05-02-19, 01:13 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
When we had a small car and needed to haul 4 bikes, a roof rack did a good job. I've hauled bikes in a roof rack for 25 years and thousands of miles without any problem. Except when my wife tried to drive her car into the garage with our son's bike on top A roof rack is a fixture on our car. We also have our car and truck set up with hitch racks. Just a couple thousand mile on the hitch rack so far, but it seems to work well.

My wife's, mine and 2 daughters' touring bikes on car. Gas mileage was reduced.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 05-03-19, 09:13 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Whew, that is COMPACT!!!

Is that a Brompton?
It's a Dahon Curl, which folds smaller than a Brompton. Mine came with a nice heavy nylon bag, but if no then try the IKEA Dimpa bag.

The folded helmet is a CPSC-compliant Overade Plixi.

Last edited by tcs; 05-04-19 at 06:59 AM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-03-19, 08:01 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
If you are using a hitch haul basket for your luggage, perhaps you could use the bracket for holding the forks with the front wheel removed. Place the rear wheel on top of the luggage and it will be secure for the trip.

I drilled a couple of holes and mounted an item like this on the top rail and secured my mountain bike to it. Should work for any quick release type of fork
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Fork-...gateway&sr=8-6
Likes For Baldy1953: