Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biking in Portugal

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Biking in Portugal

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 02:49 AM
happylady

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking in Portugal

Hi. I am wanting to cycle around Portugal in October. I would like to hire a bike and cycle for a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any advice?
Old 02-25-19, 06:14 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by happylady
Hi. I am wanting to cycle around Portugal in October. I would like to hire a bike and cycle for a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any advice?
Are you OK with hills? They got lots of those.
I have not cycled in Portugal, but I have driven around a good chunk of it. I saw lots of cyclists navigating the steep twisty roads, and drivers seem to be pretty alert for them.
Old 02-25-19, 06:40 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I think it depends where in the country. My family is from the northern border region, and yes, it's hilly lol (I could be out my parents' home and at the summit of the 2nd highest peak in continental Portugal within an hour). I also did a ride in central Portugal and it was epic level of hilly. I'm not super familiar with the south but it may get flatter (and possibly along the coast)

As for bike rentals, there are several companies that provide bikes and will ship them to your hotel, it's definitely easy to do.
Old 02-25-19, 07:08 AM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you ride in the Algarve, say Monte Gordo area the terrain is flat and there are accessible bike lanes. Very quiet in October so no problems with traffic. I have cycled extensively in the Algarve and the hills to the north. Absolutely beautiful.
Old 02-25-19, 02:44 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
You might ask on the touring forum : some experienced tourers might not visit this forum. You can ask the moderator to move the thread