Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The challenge of Gatorade(etc) powder

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The challenge of Gatorade(etc) powder

Old 06-07-19, 08:06 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by 308jerry
We use the Sqwinchers from Amazon, assorted flavors, individual packets.
Hmm, no info on Amazon. Found their corporate website and whoever made it is SI-challenged...

So, assuming that's supposed to be milligrams and not grams, that's pretty weak by itself, it is nice that it doesn't have three times as much sodium as potassium the way gatorade does, but still in the territory where I'd be adding an electrolyte tablet.

Also the price per liter (I run liter bottles) works out little better than buying a pair of premixed bottles with a common 2/$3 sale... and they come with the water, which unfortunately on some of my rides also has to be bought.

But the convenience is nice, I might possibly get some to carry as a reserve.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-07-19 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-07-19, 08:20 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Not having a nearby Walmart, do I want to carry a cable lock and stop when my distance ride goes past one? Almost but I think there might be another near the destination where I'm getting met.
On more than one occasion when I didn't feel comfortable leaving my bike outside a grocery store, I simply walked it along with me as I did my shopping. I probably got stranger looks from walking in my cleats than that I had a bike with me.
Old 06-07-19, 08:29 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
On more than one occasion when I didn't feel comfortable leaving my bike outside a grocery store, I simply walked it along with me as I did my shopping. I probably got stranger looks from walking in my cleats than that I had a bike with me.
That has a slippery slope problem https://youtu.be/82FmUHPOdfE?t=178

Believe it or not, there's a whole genre of riding through walmart videos

Would be a little harder on a 36er distance wheel though, might even hit a head on the door frame.
Old 06-07-19, 10:11 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Food companies are not required to report potassium, the same way that they do have to report sodium. So you are probably getting enough potassium, if you eat potatoes.

I think Gatorade could do pretty well marketing something like tide pods that you could toss into a water bottle. But at this point, they would probably be afraid of marketing anything that looks like a tide pod.
Old 06-07-19, 10:19 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Food companies are not required to report potassium, the same way that they do have to report sodium. So you are probably getting enough potassium, if you eat potatoes.
For daily life, yes. For sweating out a couple of gallons of fluids (and I mean that literally, comparing intake to bathroom stops) in a long summer day, no.

I think Gatorade could do pretty well marketing something like tide pods that you could toss into a water bottle. But at this point, they would probably be afraid of marketing anything that looks like a tide pod.
They do have single serve packets but they're pricey and stocked in few places.
Old 06-07-19, 10:24 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by gregf83
You could always make a batch of Gatorade syrup and then carry it in a little bottle. I make chocolate syrup from sugar and cocoa powder. Don't see why it wouldn't work with gatorade powder.

I've thought of this, but have my doubts from watching solids survive a couple of miles jostling in the bottle how much more concentrated it could be and still dissolve; admit I haven't tried stirring it in with heat. I know soda syrup is insanely concentrated, if there's a soda fountain version I could get a bottle of that would be perfect.

Okay, turns out Gatorade liquid concentrate does exist. But it's only concentrated 6x. And typically only sold in a case of 4 gallons, where it goes for about $2 per mixed gallon, which is indeed a good price.

Downside is I'd probably be setting out with a 500 mL bottle of the stuff...
Old 06-07-19, 11:50 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Okay, turns out Gatorade liquid concentrate does exist. But it's only concentrated 6x. And typically only sold in a case of 4 gallons, where it goes for about $2 per mixed gallon, which is indeed a good price.

Downside is I'd probably be setting out with a 500 mL bottle of the stuff...
Do you really want to drink that much Gatorade? I'd start with a couple of bottles and then switch to some solid food along the way, dates, rice cakes etc
Old 06-07-19, 12:20 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by gregf83
Do you really want to drink that much Gatorade? I'd start with a couple of bottles and then switch to some solid food along the way, dates, rice cakes etc
500 mL of concentrate would make 3 liters. That plus starting with one is around a gallon, compare to 3+ gallons of total fluid in a dawn to dusk ride in August, the answer is yes.

That's in addition to solid food.
Old 06-07-19, 12:31 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
I've contemplated those, especially the time I got to the first rest stop and discovered that I'd left my baggy off stuff on the kitchen table - ended up perusing a CVS vitamin aisle, those looked the closest but wasn't really sure what 5x or 6x a vitamin C megadose would do. Ended up with gatorade and cliff bars from there, and stopping at a bike shop around mile 31 for nuun.

Ironically pharmacies here in NYC often have bananas (to a depressing degree they can be people's food store, but at least they've realized that and tried to fill the mission); those in the suburbs don't. I really struck out on finding a consumer market potassium source.
Vitamin C is water soluble, there isn't any particular reason to take a mega-dose of the stuff (unless you have a deficiency and your doctor recommends it) if you do, it'll just cause you to pee
Old 06-07-19, 12:42 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
I really struck out on finding a consumer market potassium source.
Low sodium V8.
I say the low sodium version version because the regular V8 has a stupid amount of sodium to possibly be healthy. But the low sodium version has a passable amount of sodium, and 2 servings (16 ounces) has a 50% RDA of potassium. About 10 banannas worth of potassium & a fraction of 10 banannas worth of calories.

Potassium Chloride is sometimes marketed as "salt substutute" Usually you can find it in the spices section of the supermarket for a substantial price per ounce. The exact same thing is frequently also marketed as a water softener or often "ice-melt" 25 & 40 pound bags are cheap...not that anyone would ever use that much in a lifetime...But there you go.

...And seriously, who wants to eat 10 banannas, anyway?

Last edited by base2; 06-07-19 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-07-19, 01:29 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
...And seriously, who wants to eat 10 banannas, anyway?
Yeah, that's like 1 arm X-ray worth of radiation!
Old 06-07-19, 02:21 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by base2
Low sodium V8.
I say the low sodium version version because the regular V8 has a stupid amount of sodium to possibly be healthy. But the low sodium version has a passable amount of sodium, and 2 servings (16 ounces) has a 50% RDA of potassium. About 10 banannas worth of potassium & a fraction of 10 banannas worth of calories.
Oops, read that just after I walked out the dollar store that sells cans for a reasonable price, otherwise would have grabbed one for late in a ride. It is something I've enjoyed, though in quantity it does, er, "pass through" noticeably.

Speaking of the quest for potassium, two possibilities I did notice in the latest drugstore exploration: muscle milk, and soylent. These were both around 600-700 mg per bottle. Though the other ingredients are probably worth experiencing when not on a ride. 1 1/2 bananas are substantially cheaper if available.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-07-19 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-11-19, 12:28 PM
UniChris

Cutting the ends off the wide zip-seal baggies worked pretty well, except that the second time I did it I (after the first filling up at the train station) I dropped my first aid scissors through the slats of a park bench, and when I went to reach them I knocked over the just mixed bottle, causing the cap to come off and at least of third of it to spill. Later on I discovered the cap of that bottle had cracked and was probably sloshing all over stuff in my pack. Fortunately it was just a re-used gatorade bottle, ended up buying a few more for their contents when I finally found a shopping center after a long no-water stretch.

Ironically had a chance to swing by a walmart the next morning on the way to the train home, but the didn't have the tall narrow portion bags. Had a giant canister of gatorade powder but having just bought a smaller one and with a train ride ahead skipped that.

Cutting the snack bags definitely works, but I may try a wax paper packet folded and taped shut to avoid needing to dig out (and drop) the scissors. If I can find sports tape that tears crosswise better than lengthwise maybe I can just leave them home.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-11-19 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-11-19, 02:41 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Cheaper, better energy gel:

60% maple syrup. 25% honey. 15% molasses. Add some salt and fill up a $2.50 Hammer flask. This is all natural and relatively easy to digest (if you dose it out properly). It has a good mix of sucrose and fructose. The molasses adds potassium, the salt sodium (duh). There's also a fair amount of iron in this mix. It will keep you going all day (trust me) for pennies.

I don't like drink mixes in my bottles because you end up spilling that sticky crap all over the bike. You also taint the taste of the bottle forever after.
Old 06-11-19, 04:00 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Any plastic container you can ever want is available at US Plastics.

https://www.usplastic.com/

-Tim-
Old 06-11-19, 06:39 PM
funbuffalo24

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora elite, '01 Jamis Quest, '97 Trek Y3, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '96 Bianchi San Remo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
old boy scout trick for carrying any powder: use a 35mm film cannister. fits like 3 tablespoons and keeps it dry. plus the sidewall is flexible to fit the opening of your water bottle to transfer.
it better
Old 06-11-19, 08:27 PM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Foodsaver!

Food saver! I use a foodsaver and seal a tube around 3 inches wide. I then pour Gatorade powder in 1 serving at a time, cut off and seal a little pouch.

I then snip a little notch at the top sso I can tear it open without a knife or something when I need it. It works pretty well, but takes some time. Lat time i did it i made up around 20. Most of them stayed dry over the winter. I've had a few out in the rain as well with about a 3 out of 4 success rate against a lot of water.

Hope this is what you are looking for!
Old 06-13-19, 07:32 PM
101stairborne

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad; Lynkey Cooper CX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
Vitamin C is water soluble, there isn't any particular reason to take a mega-dose of the stuff (unless you have a deficiency and your doctor recommends it) if you do, it'll just cause you to pee
You might want to Google vitamin C & kidney stones.
Old 06-13-19, 07:56 PM
frogmorton

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I buy little ziploc bags at Michael’s (hobby store). They are for jewelry and smaller than sandwich bags. I put 3/4 scoop of Gatorade in them and don’t have trouble spilling the powder. They come in several sizes.
Old 06-14-19, 05:44 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I tried putting it in the small "snack size" sandwich bags, but even those are still really hard to shake into a bottle without spilling.
So OP I have to ask what kind of bottles are you using? I used the snack bags without a problem hundreds if not thousands of times. Just don't open the bag opening all the way. Are you using real cycling water bottles, or are you simply repurposing the smallmouth bottled water type bottles?
Old 06-14-19, 06:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
So OP I have to ask what kind of bottles are you using? I used the snack bags without a problem hundreds if not thousands of times. Just don't open the bag opening all the way. Are you using real cycling water bottles, or are you simply repurposing the smallmouth bottled water type bottles?
Or get these.. oriented to zip open on the short end:

https://smile.amazon.com/Plymor-Zipp...0194CUHB6?th=1
Old 06-14-19, 09:38 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Bike specific bottles don't really do anything for me other than cost more, since there's nowhere I could put a standard cage, and dismounting for a moment now and then has other benefits. They're also lower capacity; ones that hold a liter are even more of a tall and narrow mismatch for stowage options that better fit short and wide. What I've tended to do for mixing is re-use a gatorade/powerade bottle that has a moderate opening - works fine for an unbroken Nuun tablet or cutting the end off a snack bag, but doesn't quite end up mess free with a sandwich bag. Having broken a bottle once or twice, including the cap of one on the most recent ride is another reason not to pay for something that's essentially free in the typical ride where I end up having to buy fluids at some point anyway, since there aren't enough free water sources. I've thought about getting a quart size nalgene bottle specifically for mixing, though it's probably a little harder to pour out of that into the rest of my narrow mouth bottles.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-14-19 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-14-19, 11:02 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
It seems to be too lacking in sugar for what you're after, but there's this powder I liked: https://www.amazon.com/Oxylent-Multi.../dp/B003BHUZOK

They also make a "sport" version that seems to be simplified in formula and in smaller packets that you can pour into a water bottle more easily. My only complaint was that it was effervescent - probably not so great for shaking up in a bottle.

There's also "Mio".
Old 06-16-19, 01:15 PM
UniChris

Finally scored a freebie actual bike bottle at an event today; it's too tall, but provides an option for some thinking.

Also, yes, was able to carefully pour snack baggie of powder into the moderate mouth of a sports drink bottle without spilling that much.
Old 06-16-19, 06:29 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I get small zip-closure bags at the dollar store. they come in various sizes and are quite a bit smaller than a zip-lock sandwich bag. Being smaller they fit over the mouth of the bottle a lot better.

Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.