Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing a spoke on older wheel

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-15-19, 11:00 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts

I have the original wheels on a 72 Schwinn Super Sport that I'm trying to make road worthy. Since I've personally never replaced a spoke or trued a wheel I wanted to reach out as to what might be my best and least expensive options to make them right.

Both are true and spin great. The problem is I have 2 very loose spokes and 1 that is bent. I did try to tighten the loose spokes but it appears that after 47 years of sitting and doing nothing they're not going to budge. I'm not looking to dump too much money into this project but I would like to retain the original wheels in order to keep the bike as period specific as I can.

Since I'm sure the other nipples/spokes are siezed just like the ones I attempted to adjust I'm guessing that these wheels would require a complete respoke(?) I'm looking for options and ideas since I've never been in this situation before.
Old 06-15-19, 11:38 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
You are using a spoke wrench, right?

You might remove the rim tape, and spray WD40, or your favorite penitrant onto all the nipples, top and bottom, and let it sit overnight.

New spokes and nipples (stainless/brass) aren't that expensive, but relacing a wheel is a bit of a chore, especially if you haven't done it before. Still, a very good learning process.
Old 06-15-19, 11:43 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
I'd get new spokes & nipples.
1. Loose spokes are a bad indicator of how much life your 47 year old spokes have.
2. Old parts just won't give you the "feel" when bringing up the tension.

I used to salvage wheels when I flipped bikes. I had more time than money.....
Even then, I'd use NEW nipples and wire brush the spoke threads. It still didn't come close to the SMOOTH, progressive "FEEL" as using new spokes & nipples.

One advantage you have, is that you still have "intact" spokes you can measure for the proper length.
Rear spokes may differ in length. Fronts will all be the same as each other, and MIGHT be the same length as your rear NDS spokes. Then again, it depends on what hubs you have. So, you need to measure 3 different spokes. 2 rear & 1 front.

I'd use a vise grips to "strip off" the old nipples. The right tension and it just cuts them open.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 06-15-19 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-15-19, 12:02 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You are lucky in that the wheels are already true. That means you can get away with buying 3 spokes and just replacing the ones that are loose or bent. Take a wire cutters and cut one of the loose spokes somewhere in the middle. Work the spoke out of the hub and take both pieces to your LBS. They can match the length of the spoke with a new one. Cost will probably be under $5. Last time I bought a couple of spokes it was $1.25 each.
Old 06-15-19, 12:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
You are lucky in that the wheels are already true. That means you can get away with buying 3 spokes and just replacing the ones that are loose or bent. Take a wire cutters and cut one of the loose spokes somewhere in the middle. Work the spoke out of the hub and take both pieces to your LBS. They can match the length of the spoke with a new one. Cost will probably be under $5. Last time I bought a couple of spokes it was $1.25 each.
That might work, but I'd worry about additional issues. Are more spokes loose?

If one tightens loose spokes without compensating with other spokes, it is easy to end up with a wheel out of true, which is a problem if the other spokes can't be adjusted either.

One other thing, it would be a good idea to start by carefully checking the rim for damage, dents, flat spots, etc. It is possible that you have a bent rim, and the reason a couple of spokes are loose is that someone loosened them all the way as part of trying to get the thing true again. And, rebuilding a wheel with a bent rim can be a nightmare, especially if you're new at it.
Old 06-15-19, 02:45 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I second CliffordK's suggestion to check the rim; if it true with 3 loose spokes I think it will be difficult to keep it true when you bring them up to tension.
Old 06-15-19, 05:19 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Those spokes are likely loose because the rim was bent at one time and someone got it true by adjusting spokes. If spokes on the opposite side of the loose spokes are too tight, that's your sign of a bent rim.

I agree you should not just tighten loose spokes because they're loose.
Old 06-15-19, 07:50 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I've never had any trouble caused by bent spokes.

A 1972 Super Sport had steel rims, right? I can't see respoking these wheels being worth the money and time, unless you're also upgrading to a set of new aluminum rims. There are a few options that have the shiny vintage look. Call me an elitist if you'd like.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 06-15-19 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 08:04 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I'll probably just replace a few of the spokes, tighten them gently and keep my fingers crossed for now.
Old 06-16-19, 06:55 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
A 1972 Super Sport had steel rims, right? I can't see respoking these wheels being worth the money and time, unless you're also upgrading to a set of new aluminum rims.
I second this advice. Steel rims are not worth reusing if you plan to rebuild the wheels. Steel rims are heavier and do not brake as well, especially in the wet. Also they rust.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Thanks for all the input. I'll probably just replace a few of the spokes, tighten them gently and keep my fingers crossed for now.
Great strategy. Let us know how it goes.