Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gatorade made me sick?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Gatorade made me sick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 02:54 PM
jkizzle

Bikes: 1970s or 80s concord pacer, 2007 dawes roadbike, 2005 raleigh supercourse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gatorade made me sick?

Ok, so I was showing a guy from class a new ride today, because he was interested in joining the school cycling team and its always nice to have a new riding buddy. He hadn't ridden too much in the last year, and I plan to hit a really long ride tomorrow, so I just showed him an easy 17 mile route with some ok hills and nice scenery.

It was about 88 degrees (F) out, not something I am not used to though, so I filled one of my bottles with gatorade mix with a little extra water so compensate for the sweat. About the midway point, we stopped for a minute so I could tell him a few other routes down the road for some great hills and whatnot, and I was just extremely nauseated. I had to stop for like 10 minutes to calm my stomach down.

Now, besides from this being really embarrassing (having a hard time with 8 miles...), was it the gatorade that made me sick? Ive read in the nutrition forum that the powdered mix wasn't much more than table sugar, but still, I wouldn't think that it would have made me sick. My diet hasnt changed, so other than the gatorade, I dont know what it would be.

Im not burnt out either, I had been sidelined for 3 days until I had time to get a new tube this morning.
Old 09-22-07, 02:55 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I'm surprised that GATOR-ade didn't kill a Wildcat. I'm just saying.
Old 09-22-07, 03:00 PM
jkizzle

Bikes: 1970s or 80s concord pacer, 2007 dawes roadbike, 2005 raleigh supercourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, just makes me sick. unfortunatly our school drink, bourbon, doesnt do me any good whatsoever on a ride
Old 09-22-07, 03:04 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jkizzle
yeah, just makes me sick. unfortunatly our school drink, bourbon, doesnt do me any good whatsoever on a ride
Knob Creek is good stuff.

Seriously, though, I can't drink Gatorade when riding. It gives me stomach cramps so I "feel your pain". If I am riding long enough that electrolyte issues become important I would rather get them from food than sports drinks. You need the calories anyway.
Old 09-22-07, 03:06 PM
CharlieWoo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about the powder, but the bottled stuff has brominated vegetable oil in it. Yuch. Buy bulk maltodextrin and make your own drink.
Old 09-22-07, 03:32 PM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Bikes: A lot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't touch the premade stuff but for me I don't have a problem with the dry mix, however everyone is diffrent. I don't really agree with cytomax, and the first time I had the powerbar high sodium stuff I had killer cramps for about an hour, but after the first time, the stuff worked good.
Old 09-22-07, 03:35 PM
texascyclist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
powerbar endurance has more than one electrolyte and carbohydrate type in it I believe. That may be easier on your stomach and help with absorption. You should not water down your gatorade. This slows down stomach absorption
Old 09-22-07, 03:41 PM
jkizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i jsut water it down so that it doesnt leave the phlem in my throat, ill take that into consideration though
Old 09-22-07, 03:48 PM
akatsuki

Bikes: Lynskey R210, Miyata 610, Anchor PCD3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use Gatorade powder if you have to, cause it has maltodextrin in it still. I use Hammer HEED which is expensive, but no problems with cramps. Bulk maltodex is definitely the cheapest, and I may experiment with that in the future.
Old 09-22-07, 03:50 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you're exerting heavily, it's said that the simple sugars in Gatorade are more difficult for the stomach to process than the more complex carbohydrates (i.e., maltodextrins). It's possible it did make you sick, especially if you were pushing rather hard at the time. It just wasn't getting digested.

Or at least, that's what the folks at Hammer think... https://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=KNOWLEDGE
Old 09-22-07, 04:06 PM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heed tastes like cat piss. One of the sweetners they use is Xylitol which is the sweetner found in many sugarless gums. IMO it tastes horrible.

For one, you want to use multiple types of carbs. For the longest time, it was kinda known that the body could process about a gram of sugar a minute or 60g's an hour. Any more then that and it just sits in your stomach and causes gut rot. However a few years ago a study involved utilizing different types of sugars because it was hypothesized that different sugar types are broken down by different digestive systems and by using multiple types of sugars, the body could process more sugars per hour. After testing, they found out they were right, and once this report went out, many of the sports drink manufactures changed their mixes to use multiple sugars. (read this in outsider magazine a few months ago)
Old 09-22-07, 04:19 PM
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I love cold gatorade, hate warm gatorade. I never bring it on a ride.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 09-22-07, 04:26 PM
kmkurdone

Bikes: Quintana Roo Seduza & Giant OCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I threw up in my last triathlon after drinking gatorade (i thought it was water being handed to me) So, ya, it might have been.
Old 09-22-07, 05:21 PM
aicabsolut

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Xylitol and other sugar alcohols can also cause stomach cramping and bloating..though usually not that fast. These sugars are not absorbed or digested (which is why they're "calorie free"), but that means you have a GI tract full of sugars that bacteria go nuts on. It is also hydrophilic, which in large quantities in the intestines can cause some other problems--too much water retention in the bowels.

Was it really cold? When it's hot out, if I drink ice cold anything, I get massive stomach cramps. Room temp water for me all the way. By the way, if you dilute the gatorade with water, you aren't getting the proper electrolyte concentration, so you aren't doing anything at all to "compensate for the extra sweat." Electrolytes also help stomach emptying during exercise, so as texascycilst said, the wrong balance can not only leave you too full but keep you from absorbing what you need to out of the Gatorade. Drinking or eating too much at one time and being too full will also delay stomach emptying and can cause reflux or other discomfort.

Gatorade makes me gag as soon as it hits my tongue, so I avoid it all together. I get electrolytes and calories from other sources.

I don't recall what the sugars are in Gatorade, but some of them will cause stomach emptying at different rates and are digested and absorbed at different rates. High concentrations of some carbs during exercise can also cause gastro-esophageal reflux.
Old 09-22-07, 05:28 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can drink gatarade but not that powerade stuff, it makes me sick, go figure.
Old 09-22-07, 05:37 PM
ncherry
Linux HA Author :-)

Bikes: '91 Trek 1100, '98 Mongoose RX100, '06 Giant TCR Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't drink Orange or Fruit Punch but I can Lemon-Line, Grape and few other odd flavors (I have no idea what flavor they are). I prefer the powder as I can adjust for taste (it's too sweet for my rides up to 100 miles).
Old 09-22-07, 06:17 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm using powdered mix Gatoraid now but I do the same thing for all drink mixes - I water them down to 50% of the recommended mix.

I got the Gatoraid because it was cheap and I had a long ride the next day but I think I'll go back to Heed or Gookinaid next time. I don't care if it tastes like cat piss if it keeps me from cramping.
Old 09-22-07, 06:24 PM
Pharmr
Home, home again

Bikes: Scott S10, Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GU2O for me....nice subtle flavors...goes down easily.
Old 09-22-07, 06:27 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Yeah if I use Gatorade I also heavily water it down. But I don't like Gatorade. It makes my stomach feel weird. Gookinaid all the way.
https://www.gookinaid.com/index.htm

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-22-07, 09:42 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, so I was showing a guy from class a new ride today, because he was interested in joining the school cycling team and its always nice to have a new riding buddy. He hadn't ridden too much in the last year, and I plan to hit a really long ride tomorrow, so I just showed him an easy 17 mile route with some ok hills and nice scenery.

It was about 88 degrees (F) out, not something I am not used to though, so I filled one of my bottles with gatorade mix with a little extra water so compensate for the sweat. About the midway point, we stopped for a minute so I could tell him a few other routes down the road for some great hills and whatnot, and I was just extremely nauseated. I had to stop for like 10 minutes to calm my stomach down.

Now, besides from this being really embarrassing (having a hard time with 8 miles...), was it the gatorade that made me sick? Ive read in the nutrition forum that the powdered mix wasn't much more than table sugar, but still, I wouldn't think that it would have made me sick. My diet hasnt changed, so other than the gatorade, I dont know what it would be.

Im not burnt out either, I had been sidelined for 3 days until I had time to get a new tube this morning.
The premixed stuff can cause issues because of the fructose. The powdered stuff is considerably less benign - it's often too sweet to really drink enough to be useful, but it is pretty much just sugar with some flavoring.

But drinks are really personal.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 09-23-07, 06:06 AM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Yeah if I use Gatorade I also heavily water it down. But I don't like Gatorade. It makes my stomach feel weird. Gookinaid all the way.
https://www.gookinaid.com/index.htm

Gookinaid tastes ok, but there are no electrolytes in that stuff.
Old 09-23-07, 06:40 AM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Premixed Gatorade contains high fructose corn syrup. Dry Gatorade contains partially hydrogenated soybean (or some other) oil. Both are off the buy list as a matter of principal. Pepsico has turned them into little more than junk food. There is a reason why it's only a dollar these days.
Old 09-23-07, 07:23 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
If you have been drinking Gatorade for a while and this is your first adverse reaction, then maybe you had the Gatorade on an empty stomach or it might have been something you ate prior to the Gatorade.
Old 09-23-07, 07:59 AM
michaelmc

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just started using Nuun, and love it. It's an electrolyte tablet that you put into water that only mildly flavors the water and doesn't add carbohydrates or sugars. It's great for rehydration while letting me control my caloric intake with gels and bars. Maybe it'd be a good solution if the Gatorade is the problem.
Old 09-23-07, 08:24 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I filled one of my bottles with gatorade mix with a little extra water so compensate for the sweat.
Are you sure that you got the concentration right? If it's a little too strong it'll dehydrate you and upset your body chemistry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.