Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ever get burnt out on riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 02:43 PM
Brian T.

Bikes: '08 Schwinn Super Sport "Betty, '09 Trek 1.2 "Veronica"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

When I first started riding, I loved it. Couldn't get enough. I even got some people at work into and made a good friend/ riding buddy out of it. I joined a local bike club and upgraded bike twice. I've been hit by a car and have had several close calls(who hasn't?)

HR started a competition at work called Tour de (work name).Runners, walkers, kayakers and bikers did the most miles they could in a week, tallied them up and turned them in at the beginning of the next week. Commuting, Mon. and Wed. night rides, Sun. morning rides, high heat and humidity just gave me the blahs.

I know, I know, STFU and ride. I will. Eventually.
Old 09-15-10, 02:51 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yes. It usually happens when I push too hard for weeks on end. Just go out and ride for the hell of it. Ride slow, see the scenery, have a conversation with a friend..just tool around.
Old 09-15-10, 03:03 PM
yak
Zircon Encrusted Tweezer

Bikes: Pivot Switchblade, SantaCruz Tallboy, SantaCruz Solo, Specialized Fatboy, Trek ProjectOne Madone, Fuji Altamira CX 1.1, Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mix it up! Get a mtn bike and ride the woods for a change of pace.
Old 09-15-10, 03:57 PM
Inertianinja

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Upgrade something on your bike!
Old 09-15-10, 04:00 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, it has happened, but I get over it quickly. Sometimes the oddest type of ride will help to regain my enthusiasm. Such as a ride in heay rain ( I'm not joking ) or a late night ride on a quiet road with a clear sky.
Old 09-15-10, 04:11 PM
Brian T.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Inertianinja
Upgrade something on your bike!
I would love to, but with hours at work what they are......

Originally Posted by Northwestrider
Sure, it has happened, but I get over it quickly. Sometimes the oddest type of ride will help to regain my enthusiasm. Such as a ride in heay rain ( I'm not joking ) or a late night ride on a quiet road with a clear sky.
I'll have to try that, the night ride, not a big fan of rain.

I am going to get back into it. I'm going to find some new routes to do, some new rides, too. That might have been part of the problem right there, same stuff all the time.
Old 09-15-10, 08:42 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I haven't yet, though I've reduced my mileage to the point of riding to work, shopping, or running errands, basically doing something out of necessity in order to keep the motivation level from hitting bottom.
Old 09-15-10, 09:58 PM
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a new girlfriend who took up nearly all my time, a couple months ago. I slacked off the bike riding, and suddenly realized I really missed the bike! So the new girlfriend sensed I needed to spend more time on my bike, and she asked me to go bike shopping with her. She is now riding with me - though she's just now getting started and is holding me back. But it's something we can do together (besides the other obvious things), and it is fun.

Also, I'm really, really in love with my vintage GT Xizang that I've had since new. I have a renewed interest in taking the bike on rides in as many different places as possible - just to say I've been there. I'm even buying little embroidered state patches to put on my rear rack bag and panniers, like a sea trunk used to have stickers all over it in our grandparent's era. Just a way of collecting memories.
Old 09-16-10, 01:01 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Luckily, so far I haven't gotten burnt out on riding. I chalk it up to variety, in where I ride and what I ride. Most days I ride on my mountain bike on the local trails sometimes to get my heart rate up and sustain it, sometimes to just spin and enjoy the outdoors. There are tons of trails out here that I can ride a different loop everytime and it'll be someplace I haven't ridden yet. Some days I commute to work which is about a 30km round trip. Other days, I'll ride to the local market and pick up groceries or head to the biergarten after work for a couple beers. Every once in a while I break out the Bianchi and hit to road for a couple of training kilometers. It's also nice to choose between six bikes in the garage to ride as each offers up a different riding position, capability and experience.
Old 09-16-10, 08:18 AM
Lamabb
Doesn't ride enough

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Caad9 5 / 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker/ 2013 Orbea Orca Bli2 / 2011 Specialized Rock Hopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Normally after a hard long ride, i'll rest 3 days and by the 4th I'll be anxious to go riding.
Old 09-16-10, 08:38 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
When I was 49 yrs. old I decided that my goal would be to ride my favorite route at 20 mph on my birthday the following June. During the winter (in CT) I rode my rollers at least 5 nights a week. Then, when the weather allowed, I got outside and rode that route 6 days a week, always riding as hard as I could to get closer to my goal. On my birthday I cranked that route like I never had before. And, when I finished the ride and did the math, I had done exactly 20 mph. But, I was so burned out that I put the bike away and didn't ride for 8 yrs. Just dreaded going out. Fortunately, when I was 58 I met a woman who wanted to begin cycling and asked for some advice. This got me back on the bike and I've re-discovered the pleasure of riding.
Old 09-16-10, 08:57 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have historically had issues with burnouts. Now I am proactive and take rest days. I also took up running and that helps break up the routine.
I would listen to what your body or head is saying and act accordingly. Take a break, buy new stuff, dial it back a bit, try something different cyclingwise, swim, run, kayak, or....
Old 09-16-10, 08:59 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Other than the obvious physical burn out from overdoing it, mental burn out can happen when you begin doing too much "keeping up with the Joneses" rather than just doing the things you love. Get back to the roots of what drew you to cycling and what made you love it so much in the beginning.

I've had to do that myself umpteen times over the years.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-16-10, 09:36 AM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I have historically had issues with burnouts. Now I am proactive and take rest days. I also took up running and that helps break up the routine.
I would listen to what your body or head is saying and act accordingly. Take a break, buy new stuff, dial it back a bit, try something different cyclingwise, swim, run, kayak, or....
Well put.
Old 09-16-10, 09:47 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks
Old 09-16-10, 10:07 AM
RWBlue01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, and then I started swimming again this summer. The Bikinis kept me there most of the summer and now I am trying to get riding again.
Old 09-16-10, 11:45 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
You can always just ride for fun.

Last edited by Booger1; 09-16-10 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-16-10, 01:54 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian T.
I will. Eventually.
This is the takeaway from this situation. Nothing wrong with taking a break. My commute more than doubled almost a year ago. I struggle at times to get excited about riding to work like I once did. But I still ride more than most people. If you ride for enjoyment, only ride when you want to. Take a break when you're not enjoying it. If you're really burned out, forbid yourself to ride for two weeks. I promise you, my friend, that two weeks will be an awful long time!

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-16-10, 02:35 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
You can always just ride for fun.
I get burned out sometimes and don't want to ride and what I end up doing to help myself is what Booger stated above. I just go out and explore. No route, no goals in mind other than to see what's down that road that I've never been down before. Maybe ride to the lake and see what's going on or ride to town and check out the local bike shop and maybe stop at the ice cream shop. This tends to get it back in my head that riding a bike is fun. My problem is then solved. For awhile.
Old 09-16-10, 02:55 PM
Davey62

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale 300, 2005 Motobecane 300HT,2008 Schwinn Trailway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never
Old 09-16-10, 06:54 PM
Brian T.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Going out Sunday. My riding buddy and I are going to the a bike trail and just gonna ride for the hell of it. And I am looking forward to it.
Old 09-17-10, 05:49 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah, been through that cycle several times, most recently last winter where freezing temps, riding in the dark and dealing with ice all served to sap all the fun out of cycling. I commuted by bus more than once to avoid dealing with it.

My answer, to know that nothing lasts, and to persist. Take a short break and get back on the bike again.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-17-10, 09:15 AM
lshaped

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Mojave 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i struggled with this last summer- at the time i somehow had convinced myself that if i didn't ride 250 miles
a week i was worthless (probably a result of too much time on BF). i was tired all the time and near the end of
summer i was burned out. i decided i would dial back the mileage during winter, do some weight training
and when the whether go warmer would make sure i didn't ride for more than 3 days in a row without a rest day.
this helped alot and this summer has been the best i've had in years
Old 09-17-10, 11:38 AM
rnorris

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As some others have said, it helps to have a variety of other outdoor activities that you like to do to break up all the cycling miles, but it can be difficult to find time for them if you're on a stiff training schedule. I shift back and forth between cycling and running as my primary outdoor fun, and add skiing and hiking to it when I can.
Old 09-17-10, 04:51 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Can't say that I do! We Mix it up!

Tandem

Ride with the wife

I ride alone

I ride at night

We ride the flats

We ride in the mtns

And I ride in the dirt!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 09-17-10 at 04:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.