Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

NYC Police Officer Tickets Me For Running Red Light

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NYC Police Officer Tickets Me For Running Red Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-20, 06:41 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
So no video of the actual incident?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-01-20, 07:13 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
ABCDE...Always Be Capturing Digital Evidence.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-01-20, 07:16 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Dude

Originally Posted by illjustride
NYC Police Officer Tickets Me For Running Red LightThis morning I received a red light ticket on Riverside Drive heading back from a 9W ride. While riding I saw another cyclist in the opposite direction shout to me and a few other cyclists that were riding to watch out at the lights, they’re giving tickets. It was funny because when I started the ride to 9W this morning I saw two cyclists get pulled over right in front of me as they blew through the light. So I knew for a fact to stop at them, which I try to do anyhow. Anyway, I got popped on West 145 street and Riverside drive by an officer. Here is what happened in detail.

Approaching the light, I was fully stopped and unclipped from my pedals. I was patiently waiting for the light to change especially after what the other cyclist shouted in the opposite direction to watch out for the cops at the lights. So the light began to change from yellow and I clipped in. At this time, I began to sit down and slowly push forward as all the cars were stopped and underneath the signal my light was green. I get pulled over about a minute later and the officer tells me that I ran the light.

I argued that no I did not officer. I was stopped at the light and when it went from yellow to green I clipped into my pedals and slowly proceeded to go and it was green when I was underneath it. She says, “You know lights change from Red to Green right. I said I understand that, but on the other side of the traffic light it was yellow and that was when I clipped in to get ready to move on my bike. She says “Your story is far different from what you did”. She goes on to say that I was behind two cyclists that were behind you at the light, and YOU WERE STOPPED but then decided to go when the light was still red. I said offer, I did not run that red light because I know I didn’t I wouldn’t have waited all that time at the light just to blow through it. Anyway, she ended up giving me a ticket. I was going to plead not guilty and take her to court to share the details with the traffic court as to what happened. I also have a video above that I managed to pull footage from. Check it out, I wanted some thoughts… Pay the price or plead not guilty.
Dude, you were warned by several fellow cyclists who were looking out for you as a fellow cyclist to be careful at red lights the police are ticketing. Then right in front of you you see other fellow cyclists getting ticketed at a red light. So now you know it is real. Then you remount your bike and clip in on the opposite lights yellow and start moving into the intersection after being warned and actually witnessing what was going on. Now I am not taking the officer's, and I use the term loosely, side, I think she was petty, nit picking and trying to justify her existence. They don't want anything to do with real criminals so this is the kind of thing they do. But why give them a chance? You were warned and alerted Twice. Don't give them the opportunity to mess with you. Strictly follow the law. That will frustrate them more then anything. And next time don't give them the satisfaction of trying to talk to them. Let them do what they got to do and don't let them know they got to you. If you have the time fight it like hell and be totally honest. That is what the judge is looking for, a flaw in your case.
Old 02-01-20, 07:17 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
Same here. I've been on the receiving end of a t-bone in my car from a courier trying to make the light and not making it. I was first in line to go on green. Late hit. Now I look both ways, and again, then ease on out.
this is one reason why i hate just missing a light. i am first, not only do i need to pay more attention to when it turns green i also have to be the first to stick my neck out. i am very careful about this and do as ou just described. i even have my 20 year old daughter doing the same. now comes the 15 year old very soon hope i can get this drilled into her head too.
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-01-20, 07:24 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
Same here. I've been on the receiving end of a t-bone in my car from a courier trying to make the light and not making it. I was first in line to go on green. Late hit. Now I look both ways, and again, then ease on out.
Around here it isn't a suggestion, but a requirement.
https://communityjournal.net/epidemi...-unacceptable/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-01-20, 07:27 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
The big problem for you is the zero tolerance enforcement. There will be a whole lot of people in the same boat as you.
Old 02-01-20, 07:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you're talking about jumping the light -- watching the cross-traffic signal for when it turns from green to yellow -- I do that a lot on some intersections.

But drivers force it. If I wait for my light to turn green, oncoming drivers will invariably cut me off by shortcutting their left turns against oncoming traffic. They won't do that to cars, but they'll do it to bikes and pedestrians, every damned time. So there are some intersections where I'll jump the light for my own safety. And I always watch the crossing traffic to be sure there isn't a Late Louie trying to run the light.

I got ticketed Friday for slow rolling a right turn at a four-way stop with zero oncoming or cross traffic. The only vehicle around was the cop behind me. I rarely do full stops if there's a vehicle directly behind me. I've been hit from behind too many times on my bicycles and motorcycles by idiots who always say the same thing: "I didn't see you!" Right. With multiple taillights, hi-viz colors, riding prominently in the lane. Didn't see me. If that's true they shouldn't be driving.

When I reviewed my front and rear video I discovered that cop had been shadowing me for almost a mile, lurking 50-100 yards behind me, matching my 12-15 mph speed. And he saw me come to complete stops at intersections twice because there was crossing and oncoming traffic. But he pounced the split second I slow rolled a right turn where there were no other vehicles. Maybe an end-of-the month quota to meet, or just trying to make an impression on the supervisors, I dunno. I might get an attorney if the fine is too much.
Old 02-01-20, 08:13 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I got ticketed Friday for slow rolling a right turn at a four-way stop with zero oncoming or cross traffic. [..] When I reviewed my front and rear video I discovered that cop had been shadowing me for almost a mile, lurking 50-100 yards behind me, matching my 12-15 mph speed.
Oh that sucks, I hate to hear that.
Old 02-01-20, 09:20 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
The only vehicle around was the cop behind me ...
When I reviewed my front and rear video I discovered that cop had been shadowing me for almost a mile, lurking 50-100 yards behind me, matching my 12-15 mph speed ... I dunno. I might get an attorney if the fine is too much.
I suggest you trade in your rear video equipment for an old fashioned low tech mirror and use it often enough to be aware of motor vehicles that are shadowing you at 12-15 mph for over a mile.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 02-01-20, 09:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
When I reviewed my front and rear video I discovered that cop had been shadowing me for almost a mile, lurking 50-100 yards behind me, matching my 12-15 mph speed. And he saw me come to complete stops at intersections twice because there was crossing and oncoming traffic. But he pounced the split second I slow rolled a right turn where there were no other vehicles. Maybe an end-of-the month quota to meet, or just trying to make an impression on the supervisors, I dunno. I might get an attorney if the fine is too much.
It should be called out in your local laws for the legal distance a police patrol officer is allowed to follow you without cause.
That footage you have could have the ticket thrown out.
Old 02-01-20, 10:43 PM
Jose R
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

For years the NYC police have targeted cyclist for petty infractions. For quotas. Nothing to due with actually enforcing the law. Because, if that were the case, they would have be busy enforcing the 1,000s of traffic violations committed by commercial vehicles and cars daily in the borough of Manhattan.

I know they have targeted cyclists downtown and in Brooklyn mostly. Regular every day commuters. So, now it seems they have moved their quota dragnets to upper Manhattan to target the weekend warriors going and coming from their training rides up 9W.

I personally would fight this ticket. I would force the cop to:

1. Show up for the court date.
2. Admit to the fact you came to a complete stop at the light. A fact she must attest to the judge.
3. Specifically detail where she was located when she saw you run the red light, and specifically state how far into the intersection you were when the light turned green. You want to force her to tell the truth. Or catch her in a lie.

If you were in front of the traffic light or underneath it when it turned green, you could not have been in the intersection while the light was red. So how could you have run a red light if you had stopped and were in front of the traffic light when it turned green. And the only time you were in fact in the street intersection was AFTER the light had turned green.

You want her to fumble if she is asked these type of specific questions by either you or the judge. If she fumbles, then the judge will throw out the case.

At worst the judge rules in favor of the cop. At best the judge throws out the case. In between, the judge lowers the fine to $75 or $50.

Just know that in previous cases such as this, cops have lied, and have created uncertainty by their answers for the judge. When they do this, the judge knows it and just throws out case (EVEN when the cyclist had been guilty of the infraction).

Be respectful of the court, answer truthfully when questioned by the judge if he/she asks a question. But, most importantly force the cop to prove her case. Cops are not trial lawyers. And many times they show up to these court dates unprepared and over confidant thinking they have an open and shut case. And they want you to just pay the fine. Don’t. Fight it. Push the cop into a corner, to force her to come up with an answer she is unprepared to give. The judge will pounce if he/she sees the cop mumble or get flustered answering a direct question.
Likes For Jose R:
Old 02-01-20, 10:51 PM
NYcycles

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Is that code for failure to come to a complete stop?
maybe!! I think the official citation was for “disobeying a traffic sign” hahaha!!

Either way, I gotta remember to pay my dang ticket! It was in a small town that literally only accepts cash/money orders 🙄. I went last week with my credit card—and no dice—have to go back this week. Who the heck doesn’t accept credit/debit cards in 2020!?
Old 02-01-20, 10:55 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
This is what happens when you blow a red light in Chicago.

https://www.newsflare.com/video/1389...raphic-content
Old 02-01-20, 11:04 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You saved energy by posting it here and not Advocacy & Safety.

Oh, dang, forgot about the other laws of physics.

We need a sub-forum called I got nailed.

Nevermind.

At least they let you film it. That was nice, wasn't it?

PS Police cite. Attorneys prosecute. Courts ajudicate, rule and sentence. A penal system penalizes.

And Della Street looks fine in every episode.

Last edited by Rollfast; 02-01-20 at 11:09 PM.
Likes For Rollfast:
Old 02-02-20, 08:17 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
go to court and hope the officer is a no-show, and if she shows up then ask the judge for a fine reduction
goddam i hate cops who have **** to do but ticket cyclists
That doesn't work anymore, officers are paid and have scheduled day for court. That was tactic from the 80's and 90's.
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:
Old 02-02-20, 09:37 AM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
All the office needs to do is show your video to the judge and you lose, you say in it you were under the light when it changed.
Old 02-02-20, 09:51 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
This is what happens when you blow a red light in Chicago.

https://www.newsflare.com/video/1389...raphic-content
Jeez! WTF was the rider looking at? He slow rolled right into the path of the oncoming car. And with the volume of cross traffic, where was he planning on going!?

Sorry for the threadjack. Let’s get back to the self admitted red light runner, trying to rewrite history and get out of a ticket.

-Kedosto
Old 02-02-20, 10:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I got ticketed Friday for slow rolling a right turn at a four-way stop with zero oncoming or cross traffic. The only vehicle around was the cop behind me. I rarely do full stops if there's a vehicle directly behind me. I've been hit from behind too many times on my bicycles and motorcycles by idiots who always say the same thing: "I didn't see you!" Right. With multiple taillights, hi-viz colors, riding prominently in the lane. Didn't see me. If that's true they shouldn't be driving.
Oregon apparently passed a new rolling stop law.

https://www.kptv.com/news/new-oregon...3113d7bee.html

I think Idaho has the "Idaho Stop", and apparently has had it for some time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop

Perhaps an option is to write to one's local legislator about different safety requirements for bikes and cars. Of course, realizing that bikes still must act in a safe and appropriate manner. And, many of these crackdowns are done in response to bad actors, or accidents in which the cyclist is at fault.
Old 02-02-20, 11:13 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oregon apparently passed a new rolling stop law.

https://www.kptv.com/news/new-oregon...3113d7bee.html

I think Idaho has the "Idaho Stop", and apparently has had it for some time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop

Perhaps an option is to write to one's local legislator about different safety requirements for bikes and cars. Of course, realizing that bikes still must act in a safe and appropriate manner. And, many of these crackdowns are done in response to bad actors, or accidents in which the cyclist is at fault.
We have a few cities here going that way. The idea is to cross safely.
Old 02-02-20, 01:43 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
I think if a lot of us are honest we would have to confess to behavior that is ticketable . In a busy city environment it can be deadly, actually can be deadly anywhere. I have been really more vigilant about stopping at intersections when marked with stop signs or red lights. I stay well behind the limit line so cars making a right turn can do so without running me over, unless there is a designated turning box. It sometimes doesn’t seem logical to stop at a stop sign when you are the only one around but it is the law and tickets in California are usually 3-5 times the national average cost wise . All things considered , I don’t want to have to argue with a police officer because chances of coming out ahead are slim to none.
Old 02-02-20, 04:05 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC
That doesn't work anymore, officers are paid and have scheduled day for court. That was tactic from the 80's and 90's.
still could ask for a fee reduction. (it's $500 in Cali as of 3 years ago)
Old 02-03-20, 12:09 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I think what is more troublesome in this thread are the INSANE prices these tickets cost! DANG!!!
Keep in mind that paying tickets is completely optional. To avoid it, all you have to do is obey the law.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 02-03-20, 01:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Don't run red lights when cops are around....if you decide to run a red, look around and make sure that there are no cops around.

Look both ways before you cross a cop.
Old 02-03-20, 01:14 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Jose R
Thanks for posting this.

For years the NYC police have targeted cyclist for petty infractions. For quotas. Nothing to due with actually enforcing the law. Because, if that were the case, they would have be busy enforcing the 1,000s of traffic violations committed by commercial vehicles and cars daily in the borough of Manhattan.

I know they have targeted cyclists downtown and in Brooklyn mostly. Regular every day commuters. So, now it seems they have moved their quota dragnets to upper Manhattan to target the weekend warriors going and coming from their training rides up 9W.

I personally would fight this ticket. I would force the cop to:

1. Show up for the court date.
2. Admit to the fact you came to a complete stop at the light. A fact she must attest to the judge.
3. Specifically detail where she was located when she saw you run the red light, and specifically state how far into the intersection you were when the light turned green. You want to force her to tell the truth. Or catch her in a lie.

If you were in front of the traffic light or underneath it when it turned green, you could not have been in the intersection while the light was red. So how could you have run a red light if you had stopped and were in front of the traffic light when it turned green. And the only time you were in fact in the street intersection was AFTER the light had turned green.

You want her to fumble if she is asked these type of specific questions by either you or the judge. If she fumbles, then the judge will throw out the case.

At worst the judge rules in favor of the cop. At best the judge throws out the case. In between, the judge lowers the fine to $75 or $50.

Just know that in previous cases such as this, cops have lied, and have created uncertainty by their answers for the judge. When they do this, the judge knows it and just throws out case (EVEN when the cyclist had been guilty of the infraction).

Be respectful of the court, answer truthfully when questioned by the judge if he/she asks a question. But, most importantly force the cop to prove her case. Cops are not trial lawyers. And many times they show up to these court dates unprepared and over confidant thinking they have an open and shut case. And they want you to just pay the fine. Don’t. Fight it. Push the cop into a corner, to force her to come up with an answer she is unprepared to give. The judge will pounce if he/she sees the cop mumble or get flustered answering a direct question.
Agree 100%.

There's another reason to always fight tickets in court: Too many law enforcement divisions get a 'cut' of traffic tickets. By going to court, you make the expenses outweigh or at best come close to breaking even. Don't make it easy on them. If they are legit enforcing laws for safety, that's one thing, but this kind of crap is BS. Did you have your camera running at the light? You might want to review that and see what it shows.

Also, review your local laws. Many cases where people get cited for 'running' a light is because the officer sees your wheels across the stop line, but many municipalities define the intersection based on what they call the curb line, which in most places, gives you about 8 to as much as 20 feet of leeway.

Do your homework.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 02-03-20, 01:16 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I don't understand people. If you know you did it and say you did it, then pay up.

Reminds me of my dumass sister in law. 3 tickets for passing a school bus with red flashing lights. Each time the stupid cop stopped her, not her fault.

She's always running behind schedule so she things she shouldn't have to stop for the bus lights. She tried to fight it all 3 times, really?

I obey the law while driving. Perfect driving record 41 years of driving.

As far as the bike, I may roll through those deserted intersections but I look around. If there is a cop around, I don't play him for a fool. Probably getting cited for insulting the cop more than the infraction itself.
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.