Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Portable pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-20, 07:18 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Portable pump

Anyone have any mini pump they really happy with? I've been using a topeak mini morph for 10 years maybe and it finally gave out. I was looking at just replacing it unless someone has one they recommend I should look into. Seems like an insignificant purchase but its winter and I'm bored...
Old 02-09-20, 08:12 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
If you got ten years out of your old one, and you were happy with it, why not just buy the same one again? Stuff wears out, but ten years is a good lifespan.

If you are really looking for a different mini pump, though, I am pretty impressed with this one. Very well-built.
Old 02-09-20, 08:17 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I finally just gave up on these kinds of pumps and went with CO2 instead. It's just so much easier for me. Smaller. Lighter. I just like the whole system better.
Old 02-09-20, 08:55 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I finally just gave up on these kinds of pumps and went with CO2 instead. It's just so much easier for me. Smaller. Lighter. I just like the whole system better.
You should check the weights of some of these devices. Depending on the dispenser you’re using, the device itself and two CO2 canisters will probably weigh more than a small mini pump. Even the Silca Tattico, which is relatively heavy, is lighter than the CO2 canisters I would need to carry for a long gravel race.

As for the size: a mini-pump generally bolts onto the side of a water bottle cage...doesn’t really take up any space that you’d otherwise be using for something else. The CO2 system, on the other hand, takes up valuable space in a seat pack.

Still, for a road ride of moderate distance, I’m with you: I’ll take CO2. But for a longer ride, or any ride that goes off pavement, I’d rather have a mini pump. You never know what will happen.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-09-20, 09:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris!
Anyone have any mini pump they really happy with? I've been using a topeak mini morph for 10 years maybe and it finally gave out. I was looking at just replacing it unless someone has one they recommend I should look into. Seems like an insignificant purchase but its winter and I'm bored...
Topeak morph g line. They have flexible hoses for easier inflation, the T handle is nice for higher pressure, and there is a gauge.
the only significant difference between the two is how much air per stroke due to the road pump being better for higher pressure.
Anything smaller just makes you sweat.

For road bike tires - road morph g. https://www.topeak.com/global/de/pro...-road-morph--g
For mtb/gravel bike tires - turbo morph g. https://www.topeak.com/global/de/pro...turbo-morph--g
Old 02-09-20, 09:36 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I have a Topeak Mini Morph that I've been using since 2008. Every so often I disassemble it and re-lubricate the pump. It's been moved from my road bike to my hybrid, but it still serves me just fine on the hybrid.

I have a Lezyne Road Pump on my road bike. It's fine too. For usability I prefer the form factor of the Topeak Mini Morph (any of its "morph" siblings would be fine, too). For sleek looks, the Lezyne has it.

CO2 is fine if you never get more than two flats on a ride. In goathead territory that's not necessarily a foregone conclusion. I do bring CO2 along once in awhile, but I'm always reluctant to leave the pump behind. It has an unlimited supply of refills built in. With the CO2, my first flat will be turn-around time because having only a single cartridge in reserve is living too dangerously, for me. I can go weeks at a time with no flats, but I've had as many as five on a single ride.
Old 02-09-20, 11:30 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Leznye Road Drive is an excellent pump. A bit pricey, but extremely light weight and gets the job done on road bike tires.
Old 02-10-20, 03:43 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Topeak RaceRocket HP and HPX -- both convertible for Presta or Schrader. There's another version that's better suited to high volume, low pressure tires. Great ergonomics too. The HP is the smallest functional mini pump I'd consider. Fits a jersey or jeans pocket, or even my Serfas medium size Speed Bag with the expandable pouch open.

Blackburn Core Slim (Presta only). Similar length and stroke as the RaceRocket HPX. Ergonomics aren't as good, due to hard, sharp metal end caps. But it has a better valve core tool.
Old 02-10-20, 04:48 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I really like my Topeak Pocket Rocket. I've just replaced my Blackburn track pump with a Topeak Joe Blow Sport III. There's no doubt that Topeak pumps are a hard act to beat.
Old 02-10-20, 08:47 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
silca frame pump. mine is probably older than most of the people on this forum, and I can still easily get 100 PSI with it.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 02-10-20, 10:00 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
A friend of mine has a Stomp Pump and it works really well.
Old 02-10-20, 10:10 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I used to use CO2 but upgraded to this for gravel riding: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P739/305269932
Old 02-10-20, 03:14 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Elvo
I used to use CO2 but upgraded to this for gravel riding: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P739/305269932
Does that fit in your saddle bag?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-10-20, 03:53 PM
cheesesandwich

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I carry the Xiaomi electric pump. It's quite bulky but not that heavy. I put it in my back pocket because there's nothing to carry except other smaller stuff. Normal pump I will struggle when reaching the higher psi. But this I can set to the desired value and let it do the work. I rarely get punctures and have not use this pump since buying but good to know that it will be easy fixing and getting the pressure spot on to continue my ride. But it is quite noisy though
Old 02-11-20, 10:09 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you got ten years out of your old one, and you were happy with it, why not just buy the same one again? Stuff wears out, but ten years is a good lifespan.

If you are really looking for a different mini pump, though, I am pretty impressed with this one. Very well-built.
That's a great looking pump. I've been looking for a portable pump that does both Presta and Schrader (suspension and tires). I wonder though, if it could reach into the back of my velo to get to the rear shock. I might have to see if there's a local vendor to try one out.