Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB with room for huge tires?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 02-20-20, 10:44 AM
rhender 

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 2; 1988 Cannondale SR500; 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Hi all,

I know this is a bit of a strange question, but I recently discovered from another user on here that the early 90s Mongoose Rockadile will take 26x2.8 tires (it does look like he swapped the fork for a Surly 1x1 fork, but I'm not sure that the original wouldn't have worked as well). This sparked a desire to find and build up a retro/vintage mountain bike with huge 26+ tires, but other than the Rockadile, I'm not seeing much else that will take tires that big. I've done a fair amount of digging and seen some 2.3-2.4 in some unexpected frames, but nothing as big as 2.8.

Are any of you aware of any bikes from around the same era with similar clearances?

Thanks!
Ray
Old 02-20-20, 11:21 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
There's a long running thread in the MTBR 27.5 tire forum about which frames will fit the larger tires so that might be a good place to start for 26-plus.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-20-20, 02:35 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I've had a lot of vintage MTBs and most will fit a 2.2-2.3 and some will fit a 2.4. I can't think of any vintage MTB I've seen that will fit anything wider.

With that said, I'd be curious too.
Old 02-20-20, 03:04 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by rhender
I recently discovered from another user on here that the early 90s Mongoose Rockadile will take 26x2.8 tires (it does look like he swapped the fork for a Surly 1x1 fork, but I'm not sure that the original wouldn't have worked as well). This sparked a desire to find and build up a retro/vintage mountain bike with huge 26+ tires, but other than the Rockadile, I'm not seeing much else that will take tires that big. I've done a fair amount of digging and seen some 2.3-2.4 in some unexpected frames, but nothing as big as 2.8.
I have a Mongoose mountain bike I picked up second hand. The front suspension fork will take a tire that size, but you could not fit a tire that size on the back.
Old 02-20-20, 05:03 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
My 1993 Hardrock had some 2.5 Hookworms on it and still some good clearance:
IMG_4530 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 02-21-20, 08:05 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Maybe Kleins with the BMX like dropouts? I have the Rascal
I don't have 26+ tires to try but I know the suspension fork has less clearance so never tried anything larger than 2.35 NobbyNics
Old 02-21-20, 02:27 PM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
2.8" tires on a vintage mtb? I definitely gotta see to believe. Seat/chain stay clearance on early bikes wasn't generous. Add having to clear brake calipers without having to deflate a tire to remove a wheel - I do this on 2.3 tires on my old bikes. Then have to re-inflate the tire after.
Old 02-22-20, 06:14 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
The WTB 2.8" tires are maybe 2.6" on a huge rim, I measured recently on a bunch of rims. So that certainly helps, but many forks will come close to clearing an actual 2.8".

Frames on the other hand, not so much. Anything that large will actually grab the chain in low/low on a mountain triple. Even 1x will need the last gear locked out sometimes. Unless you can live the chainline way to the outside. That's why most of these semi fat+ things have boost spacing these days.
Old 02-23-20, 08:33 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
You want a Surly, fatties fit fine. How would your rim bakes work on those oldies?
Old 02-24-20, 08:52 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Leebo
You want a Surly, fatties fit fine. How would your rim bakes work on those oldies?
that's a good point there's a heck of a lot of rub on 2.4s when trying to remove the wheel for v-brakes. Might have a bit more clearance on cantis
Old 02-24-20, 08:54 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by 2cam16
My 1993 Hardrock had some 2.5 Hookworms on it and still some good clearance:
IMG_4530 by 2cam16, on Flickr
it's the side knobs which will get you. Hookworms are superbe for road/urban use, but I'd die trying them on singletrack...
good looking bike btw
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 02-24-20, 04:53 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
it's the side knobs which will get you. Hookworms are superbe for road/urban use, but I'd die trying them on singletrack...
good looking bike btw
Yeah, definitely only for road! Thanks. It's just a hanging frame now. That seatpost was stuck from the beginning and it wouldn't budge. Just wanted to try it out then took it apart. lol
Old 02-25-20, 03:02 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
[QUOTE Hookworms are superbe for road/urban use, but I'd die trying them on singletrack...
good looking bike btw[/QUOTE]

You won't die, at least I haven't yet. Run a big knobby on the front and Hookworm in the back has been the setup on my Fargo for years. I swap the front tire back to a hookworm for long road rides or touring, it works off road on damp hardpack (hero dirt), but when it gets loose here in the summer it can get a little sketch.
Old 02-27-20, 10:07 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
[QUOTE Hookworms are superbe for road/urban use, but I'd die trying them on singletrack...
good looking bike btw
You won't die, at least I haven't yet. Run a big knobby on the front and Hookworm in the back has been the setup on my Fargo for years. I swap the front tire back to a hookworm for long road rides or touring, it works off road on damp hardpack (hero dirt), but when it gets loose here in the summer it can get a little sketch.[/QUOTE]
Agreed, there's only a few front tires I like upfront for dirt due to my poor cornering technique. Maxxis Minions and High Rollers are slower than my grandma, but are 100% confidence inspiring.
Old 03-02-20, 04:39 PM
rhender 

Sorry for waiting so long to get back to this thread. I just made my account and for some reason wasn't being notified that people had responded.

Anyway, I feel like some people here don't believe that the bike I mentioned takes the tires that I claimed it does. I wasn't trying to start any arguments or anything. I'm just looking for a fun, budget 26+ build to start on. Again, it's not mine, so this was an image shared with me by another user, but if you google something like "Mongoose Rockadile 2.8" you can see a picture of his bike (I would upload it myself but there are restrictions on posting URLs/images for users with less than 10 posts).

As for the Surly recommendation, that is exactly what I want lol. Unfortunately, they are well outside the budget at the moment which is why I was hoping something comparable would be available in the used/vintage market. Sounds like there aren't many, if any other options though based on the discussion here.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions though!
Old 03-02-20, 05:38 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Photo Assist

Much better photos of it. It has a Surly fork so you need the frame to fit the 2.8in tires.

Seems you got @Goosecheck to help in that thread and you found a purple one. Post photos here when you get it set up.

Last edited by katsup; 03-02-20 at 05:50 PM.
Likes For katsup:
Old 03-02-20, 05:47 PM
rhender 

Yes that's the one! Thank you for your assist. And yep, if the frame will take it, I can track down a fork to match, although typically I've found that usually it's the chainstays/seatstays that are the problem before the fork is.
Old 03-03-20, 09:01 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I had a bike I put in wide tires on did fine in the frame where I ran into problems was the front derailleur rubbing in the lowest gear.
Old 07-01-20, 12:38 PM
Ryancartiers

Bikes: 1995 Mongoose Rockadile SX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Rockadile sx and replaced the worn out with 26 x 2.3 tubeless (even though I'm running tubes - hopefully will reduce pinch flats). WAY more comfortable ride with the extra rubber.
Old 09-04-22, 02:47 PM
bjn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw this univega alpina frame the other day with a feature called “max mudroom” or something like that. Both chainstays were dropped similar to an OPEN W.I.D.E and it had tremendous clearance. Id like to see how big of tires someone could fit in one of those. Id bet a true 2.5 would fit easily.