Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 10-28-19, 10:37 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
The Nitto Jag stem and Nitto 123B bars .

Old 10-28-19, 10:41 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
This is one of the very coolest posts on this thread in my not so humble opinion. What makes it so great is that it is very personal pictures of a real event from that time period. Pictures like these are sooooo hard to find. Thank you so much for sharing the experience with us. You are riding a Nishiki Linear I know. It must have been hot as hell in Utah that day. Can you tell us a bit more about your experience that day and what it was like riding that bike in a race?
It was hot 85+ Must have been a cross wind as the bike is wearing the 24 spoke wheel I made by radiil lacing the non drive side with every other spoke of a 32 spoke wheel, instead of a disc. Drank all the water I could before race and ran out of water shortly after the turn around, it was a dry ride back. The course is very flat and straight as I remember. The bike is not real comfurtable to ride but it likes to go fast and you get used to it if you ride it reguraly. Once it is moving 15-20 mph its very stable, at parking lot speeds it's a pig.
I have a lot more memories racing it on the TT course around the North Park pool in Pittsburgh. Start finish was in middle of a hill some sweeping lefts and rights going down the back side and a crit left at the bottom of the start /finish hill, about a mile per lap. Its not bad climing out of the saddle, its good on the sweepers but it hated that crit left. Raceing it one night with a Mavic disc that weighed about 6 lb, and a clip on u shaped tt bar. A rider on a road bike that was slightly faster than me passes me as I am starting out, over the top streached out on the bars and I reeled him in about the middle of the course, figured would not see him again. Moving 30+ comming into the crit left had to stand on the front brake steering with left hand , go down a ring and up about 4or 5 on the cassett with right ( it does not like to make a crit left at speed ) out of the saddle up the hill and get passed at the start finish line. Same thing next 7 or 8 laps, pass him middle of the back side he passes me at the start/finish. Talked to him after the race,said he could hear the disc rumbeling getting closer but nothing he could do, it was way faster going down. As he could go through the left way faster than I could, he caught me at the start/finish.
On a hillie out and back course is was enough faster on the flats and down hills, with the disc and the bars if you passed some one they stayed passed.
Likes For trainman999:
Old 10-28-19, 11:05 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 924 Posts
I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO FIND MORE PICTURES OF VINTAGE PEUGEOT TIME TRIAL BIKES ON THE NET OR ANYWHERE ELSE. I BET YOU CAN NOT.

What do I win?

Last edited by P!N20; 10-28-19 at 11:36 PM.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 10-29-19, 06:01 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
vélo amusant...
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 10-29-19, 03:59 PM
P!N20

If you ever come to San Diego I will buy you a beer.
I'll pack my bags.

Here's another one for you:

Likes For P!N20:
Old 10-29-19, 04:31 PM
P!N20

Can't help myself.

Likes For P!N20:
Old 10-29-19, 10:13 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Colnago Krono 55.291 1995 (from speedbicycles.ch)

Likes For Reynolds:
Old 10-30-19, 04:31 PM
markwesti

Nothing dramatic here , just a cool looking Vitus .

Old 10-30-19, 04:47 PM
markwesti

I wasn't sure if I should post this ....Ahem .

Old 10-30-19, 07:06 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 708 Posts
All these awesome looking TT bikes in the thread got me drooling.

Soon ill post my Bianchi.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 10-30-19, 09:01 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
Some interesting details on one of the USA team bikes circa 1984. Not sure if this bike was used in the Olympics but I think not. Similar to some of the Oly bikes though. Owned by Jeff Groman I believe. I took these photos at a recent vintage bike show.
Super-narrow hub made by slicing a chunk out of the middle of a Campy, and gluing the pieces back together!

Clever lever! Twisted 90° to make it more aero.

Rear der. cable routed inside the chainstay, emerges from the back of the dropout.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 10-30-19, 09:30 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Here's one I made at Davidson in the late '80s, intended primarily as a track pursuit, but with brake holes and provision for a rear derailer to use as road TT.

Here's a pic of the handlebar/stem I made for that bike, for use on the track (no brakes possible):

You can't tell from this angle, but all 4 tubes that connect the grips to the fork are airfoil shaped, long thin teardrop in section. The upper ones are bigger, the lower ones are sort of like "guy wires" to take the tension from pulling up during the start, which is a fairly violent effort.

The rest of the bike is fairly tame, just round tubes, but with some aero fairing behind the head tube similar to a Laser. I know, everyone did that...

I wish I had photos of some of the more radical TT bikes I made, with airfoil-shaped seat tube and down tube. Some of them had a seat tube that was curved and airfoil shaped, which is not easy... Some of them won national championships, a 5th at Worlds in the TTT, some medal in the Team Pursuit at the Pan-Am Games (I forget what color), new 40k record in the Junior Mens etc. Lots of those bikes would not be UCI legal anymore.

Advice to my younger self: POIDH!

Mark Bulgier
Likes For bulgie:
Old 10-30-19, 09:34 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Here's a cool pic (not mine, found on the web) of Alexander Kirichenko breaking his handlebar in the '89 Worlds kilo TT (He got Bronze anyway!)
Likes For bulgie:
Old 10-31-19, 03:23 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by bulgie
Here's a cool pic (not mine, found on the web) of Alexander Kirichenko breaking his handlebar in the '89 Worlds kilo TT (He got Bronze anyway!)
BTW, in case it's not obvious -- the celebrated Mr. K. wouldn't have broken his handlebar if it had been triangulated like the Davidson aero bar/stem that I showed a picture of in this thread – connecting both to the top of the steerer and to the fork crown. The thin airfoil tubes on mine are not strong by themselves against the violent pull in a Kilo TT standing start, but the power of triangles makes it much stronger than the bar Mr. K. broke. Oh also, my bar was Cr-Mo steel versus aluminum. Heavier, but probably several times stiffer and stronger than Mr. K's, and probably more aero as well.

No hills on the track, so weight is not a big factor in limiting TT speed. I'd rank the relevant factors as (#1) NOT breaking and (#2) aero drag, with "everything else put together" a distant third.

Whoever made Kirichenko's handlebar obviously underestimated how much force a giant steroid monster like that can exert for the first few pedal strokes of a Kilo start. From my work with top Match Sprint and Kilo riders, I learned to start with stiffer/stronger than you can imagine anyone needing – then double that! Ken Carpenter won several Nat'l Championships in Match Sprint on a bike I built him, after Masi and Serotta tried and failed to make a frame stiff enough for him. Admittedly, I had the Masi and Serotta frames to go by as references for what had been tried – what I had to exceed. Even so, the first frame I built for Ken, he deemed almost stiff enough! So I made the second one even stiffer, and that's the one he took to the Olympics, and won those championships on. Mere mortals can't imagine the horsepower these guys can unleash.

Mark
Likes For bulgie:
Old 10-31-19, 07:39 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Bador/Vitus 979:
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 11-01-19, 10:16 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

I like the purple/chrome scheme. The bike has an elegant simplicity. Not crazy about the chopped bullhorn....would have preferred a full one. White on the saddle and bar tape would have been my pick. Great post and thanks. Hope you keep giving us the cool color images...........
I'm not sure this is a real TT bike - the handlebar, front brake... more like a fan's tribute. But I like it anyway.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 11-05-19, 12:33 PM
63rickert

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Yeah this is a strange one. I wonder what year it is? And what is the middle made out of? Thanks for the excellent post and hope to see more from you.
I believe that is very early 90s. The frame is all carbon fiber. And of course on windy days you had a backup bike.

Last time I was at RRB Cycles there was one of these available for sale. Ron Boi was part of the team that made these and he could tell you all about it.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 11-05-19, 01:02 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
The cost of four rare front tires must cost a fortune to keep this running........
Standard roller blade wheels if I recall correctly....
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 11-05-19, 05:40 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

I wonder what was the very very first carbon bicycle?
I haven't heard of any older than the 1970-'71 Carlton:

_

Here's an interview with a Raleigh product guy, showing some close-ups of the frame construction.
Disappointing that they put more modern parts on it, and newer decals (who would do that??) Apparently about a dozen were made, and some did get raced.

I had a mid-70s Exxon Graftek for a while but sold it before ever riding it, never got around to completely building it up... I know they were "good enough" because a lot of top USA riders (John Howard, Dale Stetina et al.) won races on them. They were known to break sometimes though. Here are my pics of mine, when it was for sale. It weighed under 17 lb complete, pretty good for a 63 cm frame. Some of the parts were crazy light though, like the Hi-E front wheel with aluminum "Siamese" spokes -- not sure if I would have ridden that wheel, at my weight, which is <mumble mumble> let's say a small fraction of a ton.

There were one or two other small companies in the US who made similar frames, carbon tubes glued into lugs, at about the same time as the Graftek. "Graphite USA" beat Exxon to market, but very few were sold. Exxon Graftek frames were produced in decent numbers and are not especially rare today.

Here's a Graphite USA frame, claimed to be from 1974. That might be the first frame with all tubes CF, since the Carlton used steel chainstays.

Last edited by bulgie; 11-05-19 at 05:46 PM.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 11-06-19, 08:30 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I haven't heard of any older than the 1970-'71 Carlton:

Here's an interview with a Raleigh product guy, showing some close-ups of the frame construction.
https://youtu.be/ugCR53fksjI
Disappointing that they put more modern parts on it, and newer decals (who would do that??) Apparently about a dozen were made, and some did get raced.

I had a mid-70s Exxon Graftek for a while but sold it before ever riding it, never got around to completely building it up... I know they were "good enough" because a lot of top USA riders (John Howard, Dale Stetina et al.) won races on them. They were known to break sometimes though. Here are my pics of mine, when it was for sale. It weighed under 17 lb complete, pretty good for a 63 cm frame. Some of the parts were crazy light though, like the Hi-E front wheel with aluminum "Siamese" spokes -- not sure if I would have ridden that wheel, at my weight, which is <mumble mumble> let's say a small fraction of a ton.

There were one or two other small companies in the US who made similar frames, carbon tubes glued into lugs, at about the same time as the Graftek. "Graphite USA" beat Exxon to market, but very few were sold. Exxon Graftek frames were produced in decent numbers and are not especially rare today.

Here's a Graphite USA frame, claimed to be from 1974. That might be the first frame with all tubes CF, since the Carlton used steel chainstays.
I believe that the first commercially available carbon-fibre framesets were the Mossberg Racelites X-1000 & X-1001. Depending on the source, they were available in either 1973 or 1974. They were definitely being featured in a couple of issues of Bicycling magazine in 1974, so maybe they were introduced in late 1973 for the 1974 model year. Back then, in the USA, the material was generically referred to as graphite as opposed to carbon-fibre.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 11-06-19, 10:00 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Thanks for the very informative post. So then would the Mossberg Racelites be considered earlier than the Carlton mentioned above? And how much did these early carbon bikes cost?
While the Mossberg frames weren't earlier than the Carlton, please note that I made the distinction that the Mossberg were "commercially available". In other words, you could go into your local Mossberg dealer and purchase one. By all accounts I've read, the Carlton was extremely limited production and wasn't available to the general public. Basically, it was a team issue frameset used for R&D.

The Mossberg framsets sold for $600 US, while the complete bicycles were $1200 US and $1300 US.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 11-07-19, 04:23 PM
P!N20

Has anyone heard of this brand of bike? Does anyone have any pictures of others bikes by this brand? Help me out people.
Geliano is (was?) a small French brand started some 70 years ago, which sold its bikes through a bike shop called Cycles Duret in Argent-sur-Sauldre in France.
From here: '93 Geliano - please shed some light on this obscurity! | Retrobike

Edit: looks like the bike shop still exists, there's a neat little timeline here: https://www.velo-cycle-vtt.com/historique How's your French?

Looks like they made/sold some pretty wild looking frames and bikes. Apparently painted cranks and seat posts was a bit of a thing they did.

Last edited by P!N20; 11-07-19 at 04:33 PM.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 11-08-19, 02:28 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
traded for this one the other day from a CL listing... i think they only made 12 of them as a promo for H&M dept store in london. this will probably piss someone off, but i've since replaced the single speed freewheel with an Atom 3 speed 16-19-22 freewheel.. fits on the hub just fine. waiting for some parts to set up a shifter. put a wood surfboard mini fender on the back to troll the surfers on the beach i ride to.
Not sure what the volume of that was, but I sold a few of those. BLB is associated with Aventon. (It's still the pic that comes up on my Yelp Account). I do dig that frame.
Likes For La Brea Bike:
Old 11-08-19, 07:34 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAcdCV6B...id=cgrwkd0g6rq

If you have instagram... These are owned by Mitchell Button (ButtonBuilt) who is (mostly) a motorized vehicle builder (His Unimog inspired me to get one...).

Last edited by La Brea Bike; 11-08-19 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Detail
Likes For La Brea Bike:
Old 11-08-19, 08:21 PM
La Brea Bike

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEJgmhIh...d=bmgoyou56o4j

I think he focuses on them as art more than anything...
Likes For La Brea Bike:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.