Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Good ventilated helmet, preferable Giro

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 09:38 PM
xtc14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Could someone chime in recommending a good ventilated helmet for road cycling.
I have been using a Ionos Large which fitted a little loose on my 58cm head. Recently bought a replica Aeon from AliExpress which the quality looks fine, but i'm paranoid that it will sustain and not crack into pieces in case of an accident.

I would like to not spend a fortune on a helmet, but I do appreciate good ventilation when riding 100+ km rides, I was considering the Foray or the Savant, are those good choices, and how do they compare in ventilation against the Aeron/Synthe/Aether.

P.S. Tried the Aether and love the design, but it's way too pricey.

Thoughts?
Old 11-20-19, 10:26 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I am no helmet genius and so cannot comment on the ones you list. You might add poc to your list, though. I have the Octal and it is extremely well-ventilated. Mine does not have either Spin or MIPS. It was around $140. It seems well-made.
Old 11-20-19, 02:35 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
If the 'Giro shape' suits your head -- it does mine -- can't go wrong with a Synthe. I think they're still available. Excellent quality and adjustability; very light; very well ventilated. I have the MIPS version. Best helmet I've ever owned; all of 'em have been Giro since '03.
Old 11-20-19, 04:55 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
And again (3rd times the charm ...) what are you waiting for ....
Old 11-20-19, 05:50 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Have a Giro Foray, it’s good even in the Boston deep of muggy summer for a century (metric or us). Even with a Headsweats shorty underneath.

Frankly, compared to the high end helmets, you are looking at similar or better ventilation at the cost of slightly clunkier design and/or slightly higher drag.

One advantage of Giro (and Bell) is if you like the fit of ONE of their road helmets in small/medium/large, you’ll probably like the fit of a different road helmet in the same size.

(Disadvantage is that if you don’t like the fit of those three choices, you more likely than not going to be looking at the fit of either one of their universal sizes (UNI), or semi-universal sizes (S/M or M/L), or other manufacturers.)

-mr. bill
Old 11-20-19, 09:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
I had a Synthe and loved it just replaced with something new a Lazer Z1. No name helmets and copies aren't worth the money you paid for it. Helmets from well known highly reputable brands are well tested and usually exceed standards some to a higher degree than others. Cheaper helmets are usually built to just barely pass the tests.

My first few helmets were cheaper and then I got the Synthe and haven't looked back. Yes it cost money but putting that money over 3-5 years isn't so bad and having a lighter, more comfortable, well ventilated helmet is awesome.
Old 11-25-19, 01:01 PM
xtc14

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@mr_bill.
Yeah, according to this page
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...ad-bike-helmet
The Giro Foray has even better score in ventilation compared to the Synthe, only the Specialized Airnet and Aether are ahead, so I'm tempted to get one for cheap on Amazon.

Also, has anyone ordered anything over BikeInn?
I've seen they are selling older versions of Giro helmet, for example the Atmos II is listed there.
https://www.bikeinn.com/ciclismo/gir...s-ii/1093780/p

@Leisesturm
The Giro Register is designed for MTB use doesn't it.

Seems that site could delay your order by unknown time, but I'm dubious if they are legit and to better stick with well established sites.
Old 12-23-19, 05:52 PM
Borisb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Giro atmos is cheaper than the Aether and it's really good. If you can afford $100 I'd say it's worth it.
Old 12-23-19, 05:58 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I was a Giro-head, or at least thought I was. Their size L helmets also fit me a little large as well. After much research, I went with a Bontrager Velocis in a *M* --winter headgear is a little snug, but otherwise it's perfect. It's billed as an aero helmet, but in the Colorado summer I never felt the ventilation was lacking (and I always wear some sort of skullcap or headsweats). Just an idea....
Old 12-27-19, 07:47 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc14
@Leisesturm The Giro Register is designed for MTB use doesn't it.
I see no indication that the Giro Register is (or is not) designed for MTB use. It is designed for cycling use. One clue that it is clearly also meant to be used as a road helmet is that it is available in a Hi-Viz fluorescent yellow/green color.
Old 12-27-19, 10:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I see no indication that the Giro Register is (or is not) designed for MTB use. It is designed for cycling use. One clue that it is clearly also meant to be used as a road helmet is that it is available in a Hi-Viz fluorescent yellow/green color.

I'm pretty sure he meant it wasn't specifically for road use. Looking at it, it's not quite as ventilated as I'd like. I'm sure it's a fine helmet, but no helmet fits everyone's use.