Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Bike Help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Bike Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-20, 01:02 AM
TheRoadKnocks

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Bike Help

Hey everyone...looking to upgrade my ride and needing some help. I started out with road bikes in 2019 with a Specialized Allen Sport to see if I’d enjoy it...didn’t realize how much I’d fall in love with it. I ride about 10 miles 3 days a week and another 30-50 miles another 2 days a week....I live in some pretty hilly areas and average 17.5 mph on pretty smooth roads.

I haven’t gotten into group rides yet as I want to work on upping my average to keep up...when I do, there will likely be some bumpy chipseal roads in the future. Also looking to get into a couple/few 100-mile “races” in 2020...

Thoughts on what type of bike would best suit the type of rides I’m going to do? ”Traditional” road? Endurance road? Aero road? I don’t want/need anything crazy, but definitely looking for a bike with the type of components that probably fall into the $4k-$6k range. Because of local shop options, the choices will likely be limited to Specialized (not S Works), Pinarello, Cervelo, or Bianchi.
Old 02-09-20, 02:01 AM
MoreLowGears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 5 Posts
The main difference between endurance bikes and race bikes is how nimble they are. Unless you start doing crits, any type of bike will suit you well: it comes down to preference. I'd hold off on buying something until you start riding in groups and have a better idea of where you want to take that. I prefer to ride endurance bikes, because they're just as fast as regular race bikes, are still very capable for riding in groups, and I value comfort.

It sounds like you're already doing pretty well with the Allez. 17.5mph average is already quite fast, you'll keep up with groups just fine. Riders in a group spend the majority of the time drafting, you'll easily hit 20mph in a group with the same effort you've been putting into your solo rides. For extra speed you can upgrade your tires to a faster 28mm tire: the Espoir Sports are a fairly slow tire, and the extra width will help smooth out bumpy roads. That will close most of the gap between your Allez and a much more expensive bike, and you can transfer the nicer tires to the new bike when you upgrade.
Old 02-09-20, 02:35 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Whatever you decide on, you are going to get one hevkuva a bike at your budget. See if you can get a test ride on a couple bikes with different geometries and see what you think of the ride. You might find you clearly prefer one over the other. Everyone is different. My long rides are generally around 100 miles or so these days and I ride a bike with a bit more aggressive geometry than the usual endurance bike, but I certainly don't race and am not some kind of extreme speed rider. But I am totally comfortable on that bike, no matter the distance. It's perfect for me.

So, I recommend riding a few. You will have more information once you have done that.
Old 02-09-20, 05:20 PM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything new yet. Rumor is a new Tarmac is on the way for later this year, that's worth looking at and comparing directly with the new SuperSix Evo.

Also, start doing groups sooner rather than later, I made similar excuses to you, once I did it I loved it. Not only that but I find myself pushing hard at times and doing a lot of pulling. It's a lot of fun.

The Allez is a fine bike. Keep it another year. There's a billion Cannondale shops in Dallas they should be on your list.
Old 02-09-20, 05:23 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
^^ This
Old 02-09-20, 09:43 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I'd suggest joining some group rides now -- before buying a new bike.

You're likely plenty capable of keeping up with the B or C level rides. Regardless, if you get dropped, you get dropped -- find a friendlier club and/or some more appropriate rides to join.

Beyond making new friends and working on your drafting (and other group-riding skills) you'll get to see plenty bikes in-person -- and even chat with the owners to find out what they like and dislike about them.
Old 02-10-20, 06:34 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
In the price range you suggest you will have many really good choices. The advice to try them is good advice. One other thing I'd note is that a bike with a CF frame will give you less in the way of components compared to a similarly priced AL frame and componentry. Whether one frame or the other appeals to you is, of course, a personal decision.
Old 02-10-20, 07:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Your Allez isn't holding you back. Keep riding it until you have a better understanding of what you want your next bike to do better.
Old 02-11-20, 10:08 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRoadKnocks
Hey everyone...looking to upgrade my ride and needing some help. I started out with road bikes in 2019 with a Specialized Allen Sport to see if I’d enjoy it...didn’t realize how much I’d fall in love with it. I ride about 10 miles 3 days a week and another 30-50 miles another 2 days a week....I live in some pretty hilly areas and average 17.5 mph on pretty smooth roads.

I haven’t gotten into group rides yet as I want to work on upping my average to keep up...when I do, there will likely be some bumpy chipseal roads in the future. Also looking to get into a couple/few 100-mile “races” in 2020...

Thoughts on what type of bike would best suit the type of rides I’m going to do? ”Traditional” road? Endurance road? Aero road? I don’t want/need anything crazy, but definitely looking for a bike with the type of components that probably fall into the $4k-$6k range. Because of local shop options, the choices will likely be limited to Specialized (not S Works), Pinarello, Cervelo, or Bianchi.
If you have the luxury of trying a few before buying, I'd do that. A good endurance or race bike would do the job. Bike specs will also depends on your body & tolerance.

You should have a pretty good idea on what ''your'' brand is. If not, try a few at your local LBS. I can assure you that you will know which one you like most.

Have you considered Giant? Being the largest bike manufacturer in the world, I'm sure you would be able to find some around your area at a good price.