Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park tension gauge

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Park tension gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 06:25 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Park tension gauge

I built a jig to calibrate my park tension gauge. The spoke in the calibration jig is vertical. I consistently find that the calibration is different by 1 park gauge unit (about 10-12 kgf) when I flip the gauge upside down to measure (handle moving upward or downward during calibration). So during use, I always rotate the wheel and use the same orientation of the gauge as in the calibration setup. I wonder if others have noticed this quirk?
Old 02-18-20, 07:02 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I've always rotated each spoke to the same position as a simple matter of ergonomics. You have to hold the tension meter the same way if you want to measure the same way.
Any reading that didn't "feel right" is simply repeated.
Consistency is the key.
Old 02-20-20, 03:50 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I've got to compliment you on calibrating your tensiometer. I have a Wheelsmith that's 20 years old and has never been re-calibrated.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with spoke-to-spoke consistency than I am the actual tension number. As long as the spokes all measure close to the same, I'm happy. I do hold my tensiometer and the wheel the same way as I check the spokes but I had no idea the variance would be that much.
Old 02-20-20, 04:50 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
My new Park TM-1 was so far off, more than 30 kgf, that the adjuster couldn’t compensate due to lack of range. I didn’t realize this until I finally did the work to rig up a jig to calibrate it, which I only did after causing cracks around spoke holes in the rim. I sent the tool back to Park for recalibration and it came back with a new spring, but still about 10+ kgf off. At least that was close enough to adjust out.

Regarding variation due to orientation, I may see some, but even using the same orientation there is variation just from how slowly it engages the spoke and possibly other effects.
Old 02-20-20, 04:53 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Frankly, I'm more concerned with spoke-to-spoke consistency than I am the actual tension number.
But isn't that the part you can do by plucking them?

Seems like what a meter would offer is the absolute reference. Though so could a spoke in a scale jig with a "fret" at the position of the cross.
Old 02-20-20, 05:03 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
But isn't that the part you can do by plucking them?.......

Seems like what a meter would offer is the absolute reference. Though so could a spoke in a scale jig with a "fret" at the position of the cross.
I have pretty much a zilch sense of tone. I'd need some kind of tone generator beeping in the background with the correct pitch for the tension of the spoke I was plucking.
Comparing 2 spokes? It's like I can't really remember what the other one was like.
I have Asperger's and at least 1 attention disorder, so that might have something to do with it?
Old 02-20-20, 06:29 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I've got to compliment you on calibrating your tensiometer. I have a Wheelsmith that's 20 years old and has never been re-calibrated.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with spoke-to-spoke consistency than I am the actual tension number. As long as the spokes all measure close to the same, I'm happy. I do hold my tensiometer and the wheel the same way as I check the spokes but I had no idea the variance would be that much.
There's not much to go wrong with a wheelsmith. If you do a lot of wheels you can send it in to wheel fanatyk and they'll put a new spring in and send you a new chart to match the new spring. That's really what's best about them, each isn't exactly the same but the chart was matched to the meter to make things accurate rather then a generic measurement that the meter might not meet.
Old 02-21-20, 07:27 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
There's not much to go wrong with a wheelsmith. If you do a lot of wheels you can send it in to wheel fanatyk and they'll put a new spring in and send you a new chart to match the new spring. That's really what's best about them, each isn't exactly the same but the chart was matched to the meter to make things accurate rather then a generic measurement that the meter might not meet.
And that's the issue with the Park meter. They all come with the same calibration chart which is theoretical, not actual.
I have a Park, a Wheelsmith, and a Wheel Fanatyk meter and have calibrated them all on my calibration jig. The Park meter is off by quite a bit. The Wheelsmith that I've had for over 15 years is still close.
Old 02-21-20, 07:45 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Incidentally, a calibration jig costs <$40 to build including a gauge like this.