Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Should I buy a Garmin 1030 (or any Garmin)?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Should I buy a Garmin 1030 (or any Garmin)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 11:42 AM
maxlentz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Should I buy a Garmin 1030 (or any Garmin)?

Hey,

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a Garmin 1030 or not. If you own one of these or another device please weigh in. What works well with this device? what doesn't?

I'm specifically interested in the training elements of the device so if you know how that works please let me know. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-20-20, 12:02 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I have an 830 and I'm pretty happy with it. I have resolved to use the trainerroad outside workout functionality but I haven't gotten around to it. There are other ways to set up workouts, that's just the one I use. Do you have a power meter?

Just as a reference, I was pretty unhappy about my 800. I only bought the 830 because people reported success with it.
Old 02-20-20, 01:00 PM
maxlentz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What didn't work well with your 800?
Old 02-20-20, 01:10 PM
aclass

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Sport

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 520 plus and love it but it's my first smart computer so nothing to compare it against.
Everything works fine and I've had no communication issues.
Old 02-20-20, 02:11 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I just upgraded from the 520 to the 1030 and so far I am super happy with it. The amount of features is mind boggling really. I won't use many of the fancy features but I am glad I finally took the jump to the 1030. Besides I am really LOVING the large screen size.

Its a high dollar item no doubt so you have to decide if its worth it to you personally but I found it very worth the cost!
Old 02-20-20, 02:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I love my Fenix 6X. Won't go back to an Edge.
Old 02-20-20, 03:12 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Simple answer, yes, it's a great bike computer.
Old 02-20-20, 03:51 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
Mine's 2 years old, had one brief period of issues with the turn-by-turn, might have been the RideWithGPS routes I was using. Problem solved itself. Other than that has been very reliable. Finds the speed sensors, battery life is still 20 hrs when not navigating, 12-15 when navigating. I mostly use it to track rides and navigate new routes and it does this very well.

BIG issue is still Live Track, which continues to occasionally just not work. As well the 2nd BlueTooth connection that uses BLE occasionally will not connect with my iPhone on the latest iOS, which is likely why LT doesn’t always work. This has been an ongoing issue for Garmin for a few years now and they’ve never solved the LT or BT issues. It’s really only a minor annoyance as the device has never failed, never lost a track, always does an upload, and otherwise works fine.

Last edited by Steve B.; 02-21-20 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-21-20, 04:40 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I use it for long distance cycling. Long battery life, turn-by-turn navigation, large display to look at aspects such as cue sheet, map, elevation profile, etc. Has been super reliable up to 1000km.

Can't comment on training aspects though, don't use that at all.
Old 02-23-20, 10:32 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
If you're mostly going to use a computer for "training" you should check out some of the other models. The 1030 with all its navigation and features may be overkill for what you're looking for. With that said... I'm into over-kill.
Old 02-23-20, 02:15 PM
maxlentz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm new to cycling and trying to find the best thing to help my training while I'm actually on the bike riding what types of things should I look out for.

As in, what should I look for when deciding between devices if I want one that will help me train better?
Old 02-23-20, 06:19 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by maxlentz
If I'm new to cycling and trying to find the best thing to help my training while I'm actually on the bike riding what types of things should I look out for.

As in, what should I look for when deciding between devices if I want one that will help me train better?
I have a Garmin 1000. Look for the ability to create and load specific workouts. The Garmin allows you to have workouts with specific goals that you can load. Also, you can link with Strava and have ‘live’ segments that show you your best time or the KOM time for Strava segments too as you ride them.

To get the most out of it you will probably want to get a heart rate monitor and maybe a power meter if you’re training to race or do triathlons. If you have a power meter you can do an FTP test, and it can monitor your training and the Garmin will tell you if it thinks you’re overtraining or peaking, etc. You can also display your training load as a data field or screen to estimate the correct training intensity range (I don’t use that one much).

The Garmin Edge units can also control indoor smart trainers as well so you can run your training program indoors with the right trainer. Useful if you want to create your trading route ‘virtually’.
Old 02-23-20, 06:29 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Is the Fenix 6X cellular enabled or to you still have to pair it with a phone to get Livetrack to work?
What size did you go with? I think I would need the 51mm, but not sure if I want something that big on my wrist all day.
Old 02-23-20, 08:01 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

serious question:

Can you pair the Fenix with a power meter and other such sensors?
Old 02-23-20, 08:13 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Fenix can pair with any standard ANT+ sensor.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 02-24-20, 09:26 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by atwl77
Fenix can pair with any standard ANT+ sensor.
that is awesome! I didn't know that. When my older garmin watch dies I will invest in a Fenix .....problem is I really want it now!
Old 02-24-20, 01:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by sdmc530
serious question:

Can you pair the Fenix with a power meter and other such sensors?
Of course. I have a PM in my pedals, I wouldn't even consider a computer without PM support. Does cycling dynamics, VO2max from HR and power, calculates my best 20 minute power from each ride, live track, crash detection, etc.

Every second GPS for 53 hours on a charge.

It supports sensors the Edge units don't understand, too. Can estimate glide distance skiing, does HR swimming with a chest strap that has memory, can send an SOS from anywhere on the planet through the Iridium constellation. Routable maps in the watch.

I'm also a hiker and Nordic skier, so in my case the added functionality and ability to wear it on my wrist more than outweighs the smaller screen. Plus the bike looks cleaner this way.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-24-20, 01:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Is the Fenix 6X cellular enabled or to you still have to pair it with a phone to get Livetrack to work?
What size did you go with? I think I would need the 51mm, but not sure if I want something that big on my wrist all day.
It needs a phone to use cellular, I should point out the BT pairing is really solid. People complain about Edges and phones, the watch is good enough that the "disconnected" alert only happens when it goes out of range, which has saved me from losing my phone.

You can do something very much like live track without a phone if you have an InReach, but it's expensive. That's mostly for peak baggers outside cell reception who want search and rescue to know where to look.

I think the X only comes in one physical size. I'm a big guy (6'1") so it works for me. The top of the line Forerunner has all the same functionality except the InReach pairing, but less battery life. Last summer I was doing 26 hour continuous hikes, so battery life became very important to me. All these watches let you charge while using, but that's a pain hiking.
Old 02-24-20, 01:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

A power meter is the best training aid on a bike, hands down. Less expensive computers don't always support PMs.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-24-20, 03:09 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

A power meter is the best training aid on a bike, hands down. Less expensive computers don't always support PMs.
I couldn't agree more! I used to be a skeptic about them and their true need but then I got a used one for a good deal and now would never be without one. Besides they are just really darn cool!!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 02-24-20, 10:32 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

All you really need is a display that shows cadence and heart rate. Just work on those two things. If you can afford a power meter that would be nice but as a beginner, you are not yet an elite racer.

You need the cadence sensor so you can train yourself what different cadences feel like and then do some sessions above 90 and even over 100 while watching now and then that you don't fall below 80 unless you are already in low gear on a hill. I see the cadence sensor as a teaching device. You have to learn to keep above 80 and that is hard without a cadence display in front of you

Heart rate is a must-have so you can do intervals and monitor your level of effort. I used to use a Fitbit but having heart rate on the wrist and needing to take a hand off the handlebar just is not good. It works for running but not cycleists

Then you also want to monitor miles and speed and hours

The Garmin 130 does all of the above. The bigger screen on the 0/0/00 just adds maps, routing, and graphics. Are you really going to be fiddling with the computer while you ride, eyes-down on the screen while on the road?

Most of us tend to ride the same routes over and over so GPS routing is not needed unless you are far from home. That said, just today I had to stop at a street corner and take out my phone to see where to go. If I had a large screen bike computer, I'm not sure it would have helped. I had to stop and look at map details.
Likes For ChrisAlbertson: